Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA Thread - Mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

PTH2009 wrote: »

Thanks.

Just listened to that ... the 2 lads think Waterford will make the AI semis, at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Coughlan is not inter county standred....yout effectively handing opposition 5 point head start playing him with amount of frees he gives away

I taught lismore as poor as they were last year,won midfield vs ballygunner in semi final particularly in 1st half,leavy didnt stand out atal?

For a 19/20 year old to be consistent in all but one half of hurling shows his potential. For a youngster, over the last 2 years at club level, for me he has been excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,856 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Mastermcgrath

JD60 wrote: »
    Thanks.

Just listened to that ... the 2 lads think Waterford will make the AI semis, at best.

AI semis would be a good year for us

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭whiteandblue

Senior Hurling Draw:
    1- Lismore, Fourmile, Tallow, Ballysaggart
    2- Gunners, Abbeyside, Ballyduff
    3- DLS, Mount Sion, Dungarvan
    4- Passage, Roanmore, Clonea

Top 2 through to 1/4 finals. Bottom team in a relegation final as 2 relegated this year and 3rd in Group 1 safe but out of championship.

Obviously fancy the Gunners to win it out handily but still some great games to look forward to with Group 1 with some great local derbies, Abbeyside (who you'd fancy)-Ballyduff being effectively a relegation semi-final. Group 3 is tough to call but DLS would be favoured while if Clonea can regain the form of 2 years ago, they could shock Passage or Roanmore on any given day.

I've said if Ballygunner weren't in the championship, Waterford would be very competitive but these groups have thrown up some great games and the relegation battle will be unreal with the possibility of some big clubs dropping down if things go against them.

• Advertisement

Senior Hurling Draw:
    1- Lismore, Fourmile, Tallow, Ballysaggart
    2- Gunners, Abbeyside, Ballyduff
    3- DLS, Mount Sion, Dungarvan
    4- Passage, Roanmore, Clonea

Top 2 through to 1/4 finals. Bottom team in a relegation final as 2 relegated this year and 3rd in Group 1 safe but out of championship.

Obviously fancy the Gunners to win it out handily but still some great games to look forward to with Group 1 with some great local derbies, Abbeyside (who you'd fancy)-Ballyduff being effectively a relegation semi-final. Group 3 is tough to call but DLS would be favoured while if Clonea can regain the form of 2 years ago, they could shock Passage or Roanmore on any given day.

I've said if Ballygunner weren't in the championship, Waterford would be very competitive but these groups have thrown up some great games and the relegation battle will be unreal with the possibility of some big clubs dropping down if things go against them.

Group 3 tasty and could be a fiery encounter between Mount Sion and DLS. Lets hope teams can put it up to Ballygunner this year, it would be great for Waterford club hurling

With Ballygunners dominance in the senior, the intermediate (esp the western) and junior championships seem more exciting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Crikey, Fergal Horgan on 6-1 news talking about the new rules. :-D

Wat v Cork Snr Hurling
    1 B Nolan
    2 I Kenny
    3 C Prunty
    4 S McNulty
    5 M O'Brien
    6 I Daly
    7 K Bennett
    8 D Lyons
    9 C Lyons
    10 J Fagan
    11 C Gleeson
    12 N Montgomery
    13 St Bennett
    14 A Gleeson
    15 C Dunford

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

Wat v Cork Snr Hurling
    1 B Nolan
    2 I Kenny
    3 C Prunty
    4 S McNulty
    5 M O'Brien
    6 I Daly
    7 K Bennett
    8 D Lyons
    9 C Lyons
    10 J Fagan
    11 C Gleeson
    12 N Montgomery
    13 St Bennett
    14 A Gleeson
    15 C Dunford

Conor Gleeson at centre forward is a strange one even though I suppose he came on in the forwards in both the 1,2 and final last year. Thought he would be back in the backs this year or midfield.
    Mark O'Brien at wing back also interesting. Would love to see him get a run at midfield but he may switch with Calum Lyons.
    An experimental team overall. May be giving all lads game time in the earlier games and then using really going at the final 2 which would be a very fair way of approaching the league for the whole panel.

Conor Gleeson at centre forward is a strange one even though I suppose he came on in the forwards in both the 1,2 and final last year. Thought he would be back in the backs this year or midfield.
    Mark O'Brien at wing back also interesting. Would love to see him get a run at midfield but he may switch with Calum Lyons.
    An experimental team overall. May be giving all lads game time in the earlier games and then using really going at the final 2 which would be a very fair way of approaching the league for the whole panel.

Looking forward to Sunday, aim for a performance more than a win. Shane Bennett not named in the subs

The Limerick game on the 23rd May may be the game we might find out the Championship 15 and a result there would be massive for morale then last 2 games away to Galway and Home to Tipp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭blacksuir

Doesn't Gleeson play in attack with FMW so it hardly strange as you might think.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭Giveitfong

There is no way the team will line out as listed here, but it will be interesting to see what way it does line out. An interesting thing is that at least half the team listed could be playing anywhere, which shows how adaptable the panel is.

Have the subs been named?

Wat v Cork Snr Hurling
    1 B Nolan
    2 I Kenny
    3 C Prunty
    4 S McNulty
    5 M O'Brien
    6 I Daly
    7 K Bennett
    8 D Lyons
    9 C Lyons
    10 J Fagan
    11 C Gleeson
    12 N Montgomery
    13 St Bennett
    14 A Gleeson
    15 C Dunford

10 players you'd expect to hold their own in a one-on-one battle to win ball in the air

A young enough team too.....what is the subs?

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭upthedeise16

10 players you'd expect to hold their own in a one-on-one battle to win ball in the air

Panel attached

Panel attached

Cheers

Club deise is bad,they dont include the subs in the text messages

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭carter10

No Dessie Hutchinson?

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Anyone know anything about Dessie Hutchinson or Jamie Barron? I accept the experimentation but I'd have thought Dessie in particular could do with games after his time away from hurling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭JD60

No need to panic just yet but WTF with the team selection !

We’re living in bizarre times so maybe there’s method in the madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭spideyman92

JD60 wrote: »
    No need to panic just yet but WTF with the team selection !

We’re living in bizarre times so maybe there’s method in the madness.

Wouldn't be reading much into any team selection for the league this year. Even on a normal year it's used to get minutes into players. With no Munster League or other pre-season games, I imagine there'll be a fair bit of rotation from all the teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Ballyvoile Boy

Wat v Cork Snr Hurling
    1 B Nolan
    2 I Kenny
    3 C Prunty
    4 S McNulty
    5 M O'Brien
    6 I Daly
    7 K Bennett
    8 D Lyons
    9 C Lyons
    10 J Fagan
    11 C Gleeson
    12 N Montgomery
    13 St Bennett
    14 A Gleeson
    15 C Dunford

Good to see the management taking the opportunity to look at players & see if anyone wants to stake a claim for a starting place (or even first 5 subs). If you don't try things early on in the league, then you are unlikely to get to experiment later. The game time will benefit all named, although I would have held Stephen Bennett in reserve & brought in Shane somewhere (if available). Austin benefits from game time IMO, so it's good to see him starting in the forwards (& not at centre back, as some were calling for yet again). An opportunity for Colin Dunford to show what we all know he is capable of at corner forward. Nice tester for our half back line against tidy Cork forwards. I actually love the prospect that Calum Lyons might play in midfield on the day! He has so much to offer & will get even better. Another chance to see Billy Nolan between the sticks. So much to look forward to in terms of possibilities. The result of this is immaterial to me, as the game to build to is the one away to Galway on 6th June, which would show where we are at by that time. Munster championship still to come, so it's good to experiment in the games against Munster teams.

• Advertisement

Is it young though? Daly is the only one I’d consider as a young break through player. Management seem to be giving a few fringe players of the past few years a chance to stake a claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

Is it young though? Daly is the only one I’d consider as a young break through player. Management seem to be giving a few fringe players of the past few years a chance to stake a claim.

I'd probably add Billy Nolan but I do think you have a point. In fairness we probably have to wait for the entire league to see what Cahills plans are.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Pudz2180

Great to have the hurling back this weekend I know no fans being present takes from the games a bit but it’s better than nothing and hopefully come July/august and if we are still involved some of us may be able to attend a game or two. A lot of the pundits seem to think second season syndrome could affect us. A few concerns I would have for us is a lack of depth in the full back line especially the corners. Outside of the two Shane’s and Ian kenny there doesn’t seem to be a lot of options and also the loss of tadgh is huge. He is probably our most important player and with darragh fives unavailable a lot is going to rest on iarlath Daly’s young shoulders. We also need to find a settled partner for Jamie in midfield. I’m excited to see how our forwards line will fare you’d imagine the drier ground and ball will suit the likes of Austin, Stephen, dessie & jack pender. If we could get good seasons out of Shane Bennett and Patrick Curran and jack fagan can drive on from last year then on paper we could have a very exciting forward line. Anyway here’s hoping we will still be playing come august

I'd probably add Billy Nolan but I do think you have a point. In fairness we probably have to wait for the entire league to see what Cahills plans are.

You could argue that Nolan was an enforced promotion because SOK has opted out for the year.

In fairness it’s very difficult to promote young and inexperienced players at the moment when there has been little or no underage or colleges action over the past 12 months and no club action at all since last year. This Players that should be on the periphery of breaking into the side are missing out on a key development stage that would help them get ready for senior intercounty. I can understand why Cahill is going with trialling the older players who have been on the panel with a few years. The likes of Mark O’Brien and Colin Dunford for example as opposed to selecting a couple more of last years u20s that people said had potential

It's hard to believe 14 months ago was the last time a Waterford intercounty game happened in front of fans and its been 21 weeks since the 2020 All Ireland final

God how great would it be to wake up and be travelling to a game. Let's hope times like that return sooner rather than later

TV coverage and debate here will have to do

Let the season begin 2021 is our year

Up The Deise

• Registered Users Posts: 868 ✭✭✭carq

Poor enough start, bit sloppy but still in the game.
    Lots of strikes not been hit cleanly and some poir use of possession.

Looks a fairly open game

Very rusty

Some players bulked up a bit

Big improvement needed for the 2nd half

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭Tiger Roll

Defenders trying to run out with the ball , madness . Shocking performance so far even for a first game back . The usual passengers on the panel getting their go and failing miserably . But they get brought back every year . Baffling stuff . Mid field non existent today

• Advertisement

Disaster

Really bad performance

Advertisement