Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Philips Hue FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

In 8 years with Hue, and with 5 sensors and 12 remote dimmers (most of which is coming up on 4-5 years old), I've changed batteries on 1 sensor, and one dimmer switch...

the sensor takes 2 AAA batteries, so easy enough to get, and teh remote dimmer takes CR2450 batteries, and I just bought 2 Duracell ones from an eBayer in Galway, so now I've a spare for teh next dimmer that needs one....

Plug mounted ones would seem so alien to Hue. Sensors go up in corners, and wires going to them would look awful...

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭brio09

Thanks AndyBoBandy, Bluefoam. does sound like no wires has worked well enough for hue accessories!

how did you handle the existing physical switches?
    If your going to do your entire house with Hue, only buy from Amazon and only when they have 3 for 2 deals or very heavy discounts.

It’s an expensive product to install (all in I’ve bought about 80 bulbs over the years)

any tips on how folks stay up to date with deals like this? I'm planning to refurbish the house I'm moving into (pre-owned purchase) with hue everywhere and it seems the price will run away unless there are deals.

do you create camelcamelcamel alerts for each product of amazon?

btw, is the june bank holiday a time for sales usually? feel like the next sale is months away at Halloween otherwise :(

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

brio09 wrote: »
    Thanks AndyBoBandy, Bluefoam. does sound like no wires has worked well enough for hue accessories!

any tips on how folks stay up to date with deals like this? I'm planning to refurbish the house I'm moving into (pre-owned purchase) with hue everywhere and it seems the price will run away unless there are deals.

btw, is the june bank holiday a time for sales usually? feel like the next sale is months away at Halloween otherwise :(

Get blank plates or you get covers that hold the wireless switch on the original switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

brio09 wrote: »

I didn't, I just ignore them. There's only one switch in the house in use. I might in the future put in blanking plates... Hasn't been a problem so far.

I have a spare remote switch thing, so might set that up as a master off button and keep it in the living room

Same here, I mount them side by side to the traditional switches.
    Makes it easier for non players to use the lights in a dumb capacity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭Shlippery

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgLHRLcBWE8 - Signal RGB - latest update adds Phillips Hue support - takes Hue Sync to the next level by syncing up your Hue Entertainment areas w/ all your PC RGB - I've managed to sync up all my Corsair & Logitech stuff with Phillips Hue.

For the inner child or wanting that extra bit of immersion playing a horror game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,691 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Picked up Hue Lily from the Amazon Warehouse and now looking for extension cables so can extend them more. Just installing them and more than likely will need cable extension just not sure which length yet

Other than Amazon and spending more money on them is there anywhere else to get them or are options limited?

Something like the below

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cable-Extension-Related-Articles-black/dp/B07CBLC7TC

However these do not seem to be in Supply on Amazon anyway 2.5m does but not longer ones

Take it these are the only options and no other lead will suffice?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

However these do not seem to be in Supply on Amazon anyway 2.5m does but not longer ones

Take it these are the only options and no other lead will suffice?

Could you daisy chain 2x 2.5m, or is that a terrible idea?

Thoie wrote: »
    Could you daisy chain 2x 2.5m, or is that a terrible idea?

Should work fine... I'd imagine you could daisy chain a lot more than 2 if you needed.

Should work fine... I'd imagine you could daisy chain a lot more than 2 if you needed.

Just set them up and the leads that came with it and seems fine for the moment. Just need to hide cable under bark.

Two lights at the side one at the top for the moment. Will look at getting 2-3 more when money allows to finish around the garden.

Need to wait till darkness descends to see real effect

Also hopefully rain will not cause any damage

Any other tips or suggestions welcome

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Lads, Getting an extension put on the front & want to put some hue GU10 bulbs as downlighters into the canopy.

Would they be ok for outdoor or should they be in a waterproof enclosure?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

OU812 wrote: »
    Lads, Getting an extension put on the front & want to put some hue GU10 bulbs as downlighters into the canopy.

It might be dependent on the light fittings you use...

Get the covered in fitting suitable for outdoor.

Current lily set up outdoors with 3 spotlight powered by 40w power supply

Waiting for Prime day hopefully pick up 3 more

However do I need to get 100w power supply or would 40w support all 6 on same extension lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,769 ✭✭✭Nedved85

You’ll need a 100watt psu or else a second 40Watt psu. I just bought a 100 Watt one. I have a spare 40 watt if you are interested in grabbing one on the cheap?

Nedved85 wrote: »
    You’ll need a 100watt psu or else a second 40Watt psu. I just bought a 100 Watt one. I have a spare 40 watt if you are interested in grabbing one on the cheap?

Cheers thought so

Thanks for the offer but how garden and plug is situated I was looking at just one plug to power all the lights.

I'll hold off until prime day, sometime in June i believe and see if I will add to Bezos millions unfortunately

I think 5 will work, but not 6. It’s worth trying out I guess.

100 watt version is working fine for me.

Nedved85 wrote: »
    I think 5 will work, but not 6. It’s worth trying out I guess.

100 watt version is working fine for me.

Each Lily is 8w so this would bring the total to 48w so should be enough for the 100w but not for 40w

• Registered Users Posts: 6,759 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

Philips don't support standard bulbs outside. But I have a Hue gu10 Colour bulb at my front door for over three years with no issue.
    It was a new build house and there was a standard downlighter fitting in the front door canopy when I moved in and I just swapped the bulb with the hue one.
    And I have had zero issues with that particular bulb. Set to turn on and off on a timer and never failed. (Except when Hue messed up times zones on the app)

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Helpneeded86

I have picked up enough Hue lights to cover my new house. I guess what I am wondering is do I need the Hue Bridge. I cant see how it adds a whole lot more for me.

Would people here think I should go for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

I have picked up enough Hue lights to cover my new house. I guess what I am wondering is do I need the Hue Bridge. I cant see how it adds a whole lot more for me.

The bridge allows all the automation. It's definitely worth getting

The bridge allows all the automation. It's definitely worth getting

2nd this, did you not get one with all the packs you bought ....?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Why would you even buy the lights without the bridge? Just buy ordinary bulbs. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,919 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Definitely. I'm surprised you didn't get the bridge bundled in with some of the bulbs.
    I ended up with 3 because it worked out cheaper to buy the bulbs in the starter pack. So cheaper bulbs & free bridge. I have a spare bridge I'd be happy to donate if you are in the Dublin area

Why would you even buy the lights without the bridge? Just buy ordinary bulbs. :confused:

Voice Control via Alexa? Im testing it in the current house and that for me alone makes it worth it.

It seems the bridge is the way to go so. :)

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Definitely. I'm surprised you didn't get the bridge bundled in with some of the bulbs.
    I ended up with 3 because it worked out cheaper to buy the bulbs in the starter pack. So cheaper bulbs & free bridge. I have a spare bridge I'd be happy to donate if you are in the Dublin area

Thanks for the offer but I am in Tipperary. I got the bulbs for 7/8 euro via pretty solid deals on Amazon. I didnt see any negative to get started without the bridge. I did envisage that I would end up buying a bridge so its not really unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,696 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Voice Control via Alexa? Im testing it in the current house and that for me alone makes it worth it.

It seems the bridge is the way to go so. :)

My living room lights come on an hour before sunset. I have wake up lights in mine and my kids rooms. A time off at night to make sure everything is off. Loads of my rooms are on sensors.

I very rarely touch a light switch. i do use voice control a lot but it's definitely worth having the bridge

The bRidge really makes the bulbs worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭lardarse

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭acalmenvoy

• Advertisement

Advertisement