Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

devonp wrote: »
    is strava still down/out ? my rides have gone to garmin connect but not to strava , updated the Strava app on my iphone as well and did all the reconnecting from garmin to Strava ??
    My earlier spin uploaded from Garmin to Strava and I've no bother browsing Strava (on my phone) now.

The segments on the app now have the avg% gradient in them. On pc running my mouse over a few locally I think the avg is ok but saying to myself no f'n way does that road have 8,9 or 10% on it even for 10 meters.

How much is the gradient on strava to be believed? You know what I mean you can run your mouse over the segment and watch the numbers. Run this left to right on the profile graph you'll see number like -11% between 0 and .2km in the run to the climb

https://www.strava.com/segments/6832672

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

The segments on the app now have the avg% gradient in them. On pc running my mouse over a few locally I think the avg is ok but saying to myself no f'n way does that road have 8,9 or 10% on it even for 10 meters.

How much is the gradient on strava to be believed? You know what I mean you can run your mouse over the segment and watch the numbers. Run this left to right on the profile graph you'll see number like -11% between 0 and .2km in the run to the climb

https://www.strava.com/segments/6832672

I wondered about that myself. I wonder it is people using watches to record their run/cycle. They momentarily lift their wrist to look at the watch, or wipe their brow, and the resultant effect is causing a gradient spike by distorting the altitude.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i think the gradient info on the segment is set by whoever created it, and carries with it the elevation info from their device, even if it's inaccurate.
    it certainly used to be that way, i remember mad short steep segments which were clearly fictitious were more of a thing a couple of years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,793 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

you can create a route in Strava (which uses the gradients from the map I think), or use RidewithGPS or MapMyRide to compare the gradients.

Some segments are obviously incorrect, but by and large I find them close enough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭MangleBadger

Is there a way of flagging these segments? There is one near me that has a max gradient of 500% and an average of 31% and it is basically a flat road.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6248999

If you're looking at the web page, there is a drop down in the top right labelled "Actions" which gives the opportunity to tell Strava about the segment.
    On the app, there is a link to tell them at the bottom of the screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Is there a way of flagging these segments? There is one near me that has a max gradient of 500% and an average of 31% and it is basically a flat road.

https://www.strava.com/segments/6248999

Strava segment data is mostly from the early days when GPS alt was king and we had no barometers. They've no process to fix it using the thousands or tens of thousands of runs over each segment.

Another long standing feature request.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,440 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Seems there's going to be a piece on bike theft on the Claire Byrne show this coming Monday

Seems there's going to be a piece on bike theft on the Claire Byrne show this coming Monday

Are you going to be on it Jimmy???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Luxman

I have been really enjoying the Tour du Rwanda highlights over the last few days, some brutal climbs in there and its rainy season too so there is some 'edge of the seat' descending too. Super coverage.

I think they have a bid for the worlds in a few years there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

^ Flying Gate bike, lovely!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

^ Flying Gate bike, lovely!!!!!!
    Strange seat tube set-up allowing for a very short wheel-base.

Are you going to be on it Jimmy???

After discussing with my agent I declined :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Opinions on black shoes with black socks? No matter how much I try I feel like a priest on a bike.

Just to note on this, i hate the black shoes, white socks, black shorts combo looks awful

White shoes for me, then can either go white or black sock with most my shorts as they ae most likely black

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Daily Mail 1921 : "Gang of cyclists riddle innocent soldiers" "Leader of dangerous cycling gang identified" "Who do they think they are? They don't even pay roadtax or insurance" "After they gunned the man down, they cycled away two abreast, no respect for other road users at all, if they're going to gun someone down they should be in single file"

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

I can't see anything in that picture

• Advertisement

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1391770005688274947

Never really liked him as a player but I do now

• Registered Users Posts: 24,622 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

https://mobile.twitter.com/ESPNFC/status/1391770005688274947

Never really liked him as a player but I do now

I thought that was still the Mick Collins link at first

if anyone is in the market for a retro full sus MTB, the rediscovery centre in ballymun have a giant warp DS2 for sale in what looks like very good nick, for €270. from a quick google, it was made between 1999 and 2001.

Bike theft piece on CB now.

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

CB?

Found it and missed it

if anyone is in the market for a retro full sus MTB, the rediscovery centre in ballymun have a giant warp DS2 for sale in what looks like very good nick, for €270. from a quick google, it was made between 1999 and 2001.
    image upload seems to be working again.

552665.jpg

My barber just put this up in Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/p/COvsqXGjaGp/?igshid=15wcio9bm9eeh

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

See the bus that passed? That was me driving, fella came out of barber shop engrossed on phone, other pleb was flying, luckily nobody was hurt.
    He could as easily have ended up under my bus had the pole not been there

• Advertisement

wheelo01 wrote: »
    See the bus that passed? That was me driving, fella came out of barber shop engrossed on phone, other pleb was flying, luckily nobody was hurt.
    He could as easily have ended up under my bus had the pole not been there

Jesus! I'd say you had a small poo.

Yer man on the phone is my barber, nice lad, I'd have thumped the dope on the scooter.

Advertisement