Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Don't forget the great champion of the housing crisis Mary Lou objected also.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,006 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Did Ciara slip a 'tiocfaidh ár lá' into the end of the show there , or was I hearing things ?

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Jonny303

2smiggy wrote: »
    Did Ciara slip a 'tiocfaidh ár lá' into the end of the show there , or was I hearing things ?

I came on just to check was I hearing things....she definatly did

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Jonny303 wrote: »
    I came on just to check was I hearing things....she definatly did

I definitely heard her say it.

something to do with 18 April 1949 perhaps, just a bit odd.

they could have just talked about it !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Glad I'm not the only one who heard that, thought I was losing the plot!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,340 ✭✭✭leath_dub

Glad I'm not the only one who heard that, thought I was losing the plot!

Anytime Shane throws in the cupla focal she always has to make a snide comment to virtue signal her lack of knowdge of/interest in the language. Together with the need to always have the last word she just threw that line as she was probably at a loss what to say but had to say something

leath_dub wrote: »
    Anytime Shane throws in the cupla focal she always has to make a snide comment to virtue signal her lack of knowdge of/interest in the language. Together with the need to always have the last word she just threw that line as she was probably at a loss what to say but had to say something
    Everybody knows "slán" or "tóg go bog é", or she could have just stuck to english. I don't mind if someone is ambivalent about Irish, it's none of our business, But who, outside of political unionism hears a goodbye in Irish and their mind immediately goes to the Provos? It's immature at best, possibly insulting, and was done without the ability of her colleague to pull her up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Newstalk Breakfast was gold this morning with CK and Shane regaling us with tales of what they did in skiving off work - an idiot rings in to say the worst thing that he did was as a relief postman at Christmas was to throw the mail away cue CK ......ha, ha, ha - she may not understand that this is a criminal offence and people have been jailed for this activity in the past.

Further gold as the woke pair return to one of their favourite subjects - gender neutral toilets. :rolleyes: and for a radio station that regular has features on poor pronunciation, phrase mangling etc. she launches into the piece on the aforesaid toilet with this sequence - "rolled out, going forward"

Then a piece on the evergreen subject of the racist Irish and their treatment of a Cork school girl of Chinese extraction....What a radio station but it can be entertaining - if not intentionally so!

And to finish off, back to gender free toilets: CEO from "Belong To" (?) on and this line..."young people today are kind and empathetic" - does not compute when added to the Cork Chinese school girl story....but what the hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,560 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Is Dr Ciara Kelly really considered “woke”? Newstalk really hit on a goldmine landing her.

She’s despised by the liberal left and by the angry right. Although, I think they lost a few of the angry lads when they moved her to the breakfast slot but, I guess, they’ll seek out her dulcet tones on the “playback” function when they get up later on the day.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Advertisement

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Newstalk Breakfast was gold this morning Then a piece on the evergreen subject of the racist Irish and their treatment of a Cork school girl of Chinese extraction....What a radio station but it can be entertaining - if not intentionally so!

That whole segment about the racist abuse was strange - very lacking in detail . They spent more time discussing her new online jewellery business than any examples of bullying.

Is Dr Ciara Kelly really considered “woke”? Newstalk really hit on a goldmine landing her.

She’s despised by the liberal left and by the angry right. Although, I think they lost a few of the angry lads when they moved her to the breakfast slot but, I guess, they’ll seek out her dulcet tones on the “playback” function when they get up later on the day.

I'd imagine a lot more of the 'angry lads' would be up a lot earlier than the 'liberal left' ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

That whole segment about the racist abuse was strange - very lacking in detail . They spent more time discussing her new online jewellery business than any examples of bullying.

I'd say one of the producers didn't do the job properly there. I think she contacted the radio whit what I'm sure was her true experience but decided it would be nice to plug some jewellery too.

2smiggy wrote: »
    I'd imagine a lot more of the 'angry lads' would be up a lot earlier than the 'liberal left' ?
    Anger is terribly bad for the sleep, it's true. I reckon a lot of guys set their alarms for 7am just to piss themselves off.

I myself stumble out of bed at five minutes to 9, say a quick prayer to Saint Ruth Coppinger, and set about doing the woke agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Historybluff

Futureproof has been quite good over the past couple of months. Today's episode had some interesting items: engineering human life for long distance space travel and space colonisation; and the possible discovery of a new fundamental particle of matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

In case anyone didn't know, its Ciara Kelly's birthday today. Now Ciara doesn't want a fuss made, she even said that she won't post anything on instagram.

Again, in case you forgot, its Ciara Kellys birthday today.

Fin.

Claire Brock covering for the doctor today. A big upgrade, it must be said - can discuss topics without the need to make it "all about me"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

I really like Claire brock, she's a great voice for early morning, very measured. I'd like to see her with Shane permanently.

pc7 wrote: »
    I really like Claire brock, she's a great voice for early morning, very measured. I'd like to see her with Shane permanently.

shes brilliant! A lovely calm measured voice..... no drama, no screeching, no hysterics ....a joy listening to her. Keep her please Newstalk! :P:P

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭insert name here 123

pc7 wrote: »

+1 I tuned in this morning and actually felt they had a nice chemistry, nothing forced. Would listen in more often if they were permanent.

• Advertisement

got to admit, Stephen Donnelly's ability to waffle through interviews continues to improve.

Jonathan Healy AND Ciara Kelly? No feckin' thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

Jonathan Healy AND Ciara Kelly? No feckin' thanks!

He's like Michael Myers in the Halloween. You think that you have finally got rid of him and then he suddenly raises himself from behind the wardrobe again.

Healy is painful

what is even more pain is Healy talking to 'Quinny'

In case anyone didn't know, its Ciara Kelly's birthday today. Now Ciara doesn't want a fuss made, she even said that she won't post anything on instagram.

Again, in case you forgot, its Ciara Kellys birthday today.

Fin.

and it was the big 50 too!

I was hoping she might take more than a day off, more like a week. Ah well :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Could Newstalk not put on a late night (early morning) show for Ciara Kelly, Healy and Angela Gilligan - say about 3am when most of us are snoring?

Maria Bailey on now, a neck like a jockeys bollocks

• Registered Users Posts: 19,582 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Is today world cat call awareness day?

I've caught only a couple of minutes of Newstalk today, I've heard this topic on three different programmes.

• Advertisement

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Is today world cat call awareness day?

I've caught only a couple of minutes of Newstalk today, I've heard this topic on three different programmes.

Newstalk regularly recycle (in fact , they always recycle) their topics acroos their programs. Want to know what Andrea's big topic of the day is? Listen to breakfast with Ciara and Shane!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement