Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk Megathread 22/08/16 to date

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Ahwell wrote: »
    One of them did do something. Sean Moncrieff started writing a column for the Irish Times very soon after the ban was put in place. Which did put Communicorp in quite a position.

Not really. Newton Emerson, Jen Hogan, Tanya Sweeney and Paul Howard (I'm sure there are more) were all on Newstalk over the years. Some quite often. I don't think freelancers were ever included in the ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,705 ✭✭✭Ahwell

meeeeh wrote: »
    Not really. Newton Emerson, Jen Hogan, Tanya Sweeney and Paul Howard (I'm sure there are more) were all on Newstalk over the years. Some quite often. I don't think freelancers were ever included in the ban.

Sorry, I'm struggling to see the relevance here. "Not really" what?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ahwell wrote: »
    One of them did do something. Sean Moncrieff started writing a column for the Irish Times very soon after the ban was put in place. Which did put Communicorp in quite a position.

Did it though? I don’t remember hearing any furore about that. Irish Times had no reason to play the petty games of Denis O’Brien. Public opinion was very much on their side so I would imagine they had that deal with Moncrieff sown up before the ban.

Also, many IT columnists have been on Newstalk shows. It’s the full-time staffers that haven’t.

2smiggy wrote: »
    who said anything about 'right wing' ?

The morning show is fronted by the most right wing folk imaginable :)
    Iirc Ciara was disgruntled as one of her kids didn't get extra points for going to private school........ nothing left going on there.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Did it though? I don’t remember hearing any furore about that. Irish Times had no reason to play the petty games of Denis O’Brien. Public opinion was very much on their side so I would imagine they had that deal with Moncrieff sown up before the ban.

Also, many IT columnists have been on Newstalk shows. It’s the full-time staffers that haven’t.

I get that, but none of those other IT columnists were one of Newstalk's main presenters. Unlike Moncrieff, none of them received an email form Communicorp's CEO demanding they exclude Irish Times journalists and other staff from any Communicorp stations or shows and then decided to start writing a column for that exact same newspaper. I think Moncrieff did it very deliberately and I'm sure it would of been noticed by the powers to be at Communicorp. They didn't react to it it in public, who knows what happened in private.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭styron

The ban was instituted after Moncrieff had signed up as a columnist but before the inaugural issue of the IT Saturday magazine.

Prior external work clearly wasn't prohibited under his NT contract. Attempting to arbitrarily unwind and fetter his ability to earn would have been legally foolhardy - particularly when he'd already been shorn of a third of his airtime/money to make way for Hook's Lunchtime enema. Sean's position must have been cast iron given the capricious way the likes of original OTB, Wickremasinghe, and Carol Coleman departed.

styron wrote: »
    The ban was instituted after Moncrieff had signed up as a columnist but before the inaugural issue of the IT Saturday magazine.

Which would make it more of a happenstance then I realised. Embarrassing for Communicorp, but the timing appears to be a coincidence.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Predictably, a lot of BuT mY HoUSe today.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Del.Monte

Just in case you missed it, Dr.Ciara Kelly's has announced to a waiting world that she's getting a tattoo. Whatever happened to a hundred days of walking?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Del.Monte wrote: »
    Just in case you missed it, Dr.Ciara Kelly's has announced to a waiting world that she's getting a tattoo. Whatever happened to a hundred days of walking?

Will it say "I'm a doctor!"?

I'm enjoying James Vincent McMorrow. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,782 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Earth shattering mid-life crisis stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,979 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

Earth shattering mid-life crisis stuff.

I hope it's a face tattoo

If it's tasteful it'll go nicely with the leopard print stuff she wears :pac:

Hahaha some comedians in here.... a woman who wears leopard print... Hahaha isn't that funny. :rolleyes:

I was being nothing but sincere, as I mentioned here before I'm 100% supportive of the older ladies adopting Joanna Lumley's views on throwing out the fashion rulebook :)

Strange you jump on my comment but face tattoo and mid life crisis posts don't attract your ire. Even though it's strange it's not unexpected though, you seem to pounce on many of my posts in this topic........... I do hope you get enjoyment or whatever from that :)
    I certainly do.

Augeo wrote: »
    I was being nothing but sincere, as I mentioned here before I'm 100% supportive of the older ladies adopting Joanna Lumley's views on throwing out the fashion rulebook :)

Strange you jump on my comment but face tattoo and mid life crisis posts don't attract your ire. Even though it's strange it's not unexpected though, you seem to pounce on many of my posts in this topic........... I do hope you get enjoyment or whatever from that :)
    I certainly do.
    I don't think you understand the meaning of 'all'. Anyway this type of discussion is much better for pm's.

I don't think you understand the meaning of 'all'. Anyway this type of discussion is much better for pm's.

I didn't use 'all' :), what are you referring to?
    No need to PM me.

I automatically reach for the dial when I hear that Hyundai Tuscon ad begin, anyone else?

It's the worst radio ad I've heard in a long time, yer man's voice is smug as f**k and highly off-putting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

It has to be the Dunnes Stores ones for me. The high pitched woman describing this weeks offers is very grating.

The Covid ad for me. If I could squash it... Arghhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,176 ✭✭✭VonLuck

The Covid ad for me. If I could squash it... Arghhh

If you could put it in a jar...

Whatever happened to a hundred days of walking?
    It's the 5th of June so I would assume that ended two months ago:confused:

I didn't realise it ended as it seemed to just go on and on and on like the Duracell bunny.

I didn't realise it ended as it seemed to just go on and on and on like the Duracell bunny.

100 days is pretty self-descriptive Del

100 days is pretty self-descriptive Del

.... 100 days of walking...... As self descriptive as it is the start date isn't detailed.

Augeo wrote: »
    .... 100 days of walking...... As self descriptive as it is the start date isn't detailed.
    I'm pretty sure, just from overheard snippets, that it starts on the 1st of January. Then, so as to include the maximum number of people, they are joined by people who start anytime later.

It sounds fairly straightforward.

I might very well be wrong, so if it didn't start on January 1, I must have misheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I'm pretty sure, just from overheard snippets, that it starts on the 1st of January. Then, so as to include the maximum number of people, they are joined by people who start anytime later.

I might very well be wrong, so if it didn't start on January 1, I must have misheard.

Mightn’t be the 1st but it’s there, or there abouts.

The tide is turning…

I'd no idea when it started TBH.
    The concept is indeed simple and the title informative but the start date isn't.

It seems Ciara can't be referred to unless favourably.... L

And you're correct: https://www.newstalk.com/news/100-days-of-walking-is-back-from-january-1st-1126705 it just seems like it goes on forever.

• Advertisement

And you're correct: https://www.newstalk.com/news/100-days-of-walking-is-back-from-january-1st-1126705 it just seems like it goes on forever.

I hope it does go on forever!

I think CK had it in mind that 100 days is a sufficient length of time to develop a habit. They were quite open to people starting/ending on any chosen day. The organisers' only focus was 100 days. That might have muddied the campaign message.

The point was, once you had 100 days behind you, you were unlikely to give up your habitual walk.

Rarely does a radio programme genuinely contribute to population health.

Kelly sometimes deserves her detractors, but this was probably the brightest idea of her broadcasting career to date.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement