Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Punchestown festival 2021

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭BurtMacklin

Anyone giving Concertista another try here ? It was disappointing to get beaten on the line at Cheltenham but she might go one better today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

2.50 Dromore Lad 25/1 ew 5 places

Out and out stayer. Won the Cork National by 9L. 7lbs claimer onboard so carries just 10-2

4.30 Jerandme 14/1 ew 5 places

His last 5 runs of 2020 read 12111 so is very progressive. Had a spin out at the start of April (first run since dec) and that should put him right for this.

GL

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭PatrickDoherty

also the interview with DeBromhead touched on Alan Potts taking his horses away, was the reason ever established why he did so?

I'd say being 6ft under had something to do with it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 582 ✭✭✭deeks

I like 2 at the prices in the 2.50 at Punchestown.

Swingbridge at 20/1 5 places with PP. getting on in years but has run well after a break and has no weight with Jordan Gainford taking off 7.

Forza Milan at 12/1. If you go back to his beginners chase form early last year with the likes of Carefully Selected and Castlebawn West he’d have a right change off this weight and has shown bits and pieces since to think he could run well over this trip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭bit of a bogey

Happened before he passed away if I recall correctly.

There were certainly plenty of rumours why but not sure if there was truth to any of them.

Peregrine Run has a decent record fresh and generally runs well on his ventures back over hurdles so worth a look at 66/1 6 places.

Hannon didn’t stay last time and his mark looks reasonable so at 33/1 back down in trip looks more than fair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 907 ✭✭✭howareyakid

5:05 - Tronador e/w. Delivered on potential last time out and won very impressively. Hoping there may be further scope for improvement off low mark.

5:40 - Strange Notions e/w. Has some impressive form that ties in with a few of the other runners here.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

The horses left the yard in Jan 2017 and Potts passed in Nov 2017 so it had nothing to do with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭ElisaAtWar

deeks wrote: »

Swingbridge at 20/1 5 places with PP. getting on in years but has run well after a break and has no weight with Jordan Gainford taking off 7.

Forza Milan at 12/1. If you go back to his beginners chase form early last year with the likes of Carefully Selected and Castlebawn West he’d have a right change off this weight and has shown bits and pieces since to think he could run well over this trip.

Think Forza Milan may be a very good shout

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭FiftyP

A disaster of a day yesterday, not even a place. However I’m still up overall on Punchestown even with no bets yet returned today and them all already placed. That has to be a good week, and I have a day of horse racing and beer to look forward to already in the profit. Then, over the next few days, I’m starting a new spreadsheet for tracking bets, seeing as I feel I’ve earned a fresh start with a new focus on the game (and a new season.) I just have to hope Racing TV give me an offer when I go back to them in August.

2.15 Josies Orders 8/1 ew 4 places
    2.50 Young Dev 9/1 ew 4 places
    3.20 Minella Melody 16/1 ew 3 places
    4.00 Jeff Kidder 20/1 ew 3 places
    4.30 Fag An Bealach 7/1
    5.05 Lady Breffni 10/1 ew 4 places
    5.40 Rebel Early 18/1 ew 4 places

• Advertisement

4:00 - Market support seems to suggest Willie’s horse could progress enough to reverse the Cheltenham form, but Quilixios has passed every test so far and I’m going to stick with again today at around 2/1

4:30 - Backed Jerandme the last day at Fairyhouse. He was fairly well supported that day also but perhaps he needed the run a bit. I’m prepared to give him another chance today where he’s been backed from around 20s into 10s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

All over Forza Milan. Crying out for the this type of slower affair and extended trip and as you say has those bits of nice form.

4.00. Does anyone like Saint Sam.. Not sure I do, #but there's no real direct line as far as I can see between him and the hotties (well, there is, but I'm thinking the ground, plus lightly raced etc etc..). The good ground (or close enough to good) a bit of a concern, but I think I'll do him anyway. I'll have to do Jeff as well in that case :D

Even allowing for the Triumph being about 90yds further than Boodles, I think that the latter race would have been ran in a quicker time had it been that bit longer. Plus, the ground was softer on the tuesday.

Still left with the ground concern though, but with so many races with multiple runners; I may as well have a go with an 8/9 horse race, and leave it at that. Maybe I'll do something else at the meet, but for now, I'll leave it at the 2 in this.

Couldn't pick which of the top two is better than the other, or even the third fav, so I'll oppose :pac: I aint one who's generally sorry for not backing a 2/1 shot that ends up hosing up like a long odds on yoke. So, with all that nonsense aside, my picks in this:

Saint Sam 10/1 ew
    Jeff Kidder 20/1 ew

Slightly more on SS.. Might end looking foolish, but like I said ground etc is unknown really, #and while both the picks indeed have competed against Zanahiyr; at least in Saint Sam's case, who's also been up against Quilixios, there's enough unknowns to not be able to rule him out.

Gluck.. Hope folks make a few bob today :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭gazza1

Concertista back to 2m ?

Jeff Kidder is some horse!

A “most progressive of horse“ according to Jerry Hannon in the commentary - I think the last time he said that was about Dreal Deal!!

Peregrine Run has a decent record fresh and generally runs well on his ventures back over hurdles so worth a look at 66/1 6 places.

Hannon didn’t stay last time and his mark looks reasonable so at 33/1 back down in trip looks more than fair.

Decent end to an otherwise poor day with Peregrine Run getting placed. Backed at 66/1 earlier but went off a huge 150/1. Nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Brilliant punditry by Jane Mangan, Barry Geraghty and Ruby Walsh on RTE. Thankfully Davy Russell only appeared once during the week, great jockey, but poor pundit.

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭Plasandrunt

Jane Mangan is absolutely brilliant and she's starting to blossom into a bit of a little dinger too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Thought Katie Walsh did a very good job on the after race interviews. Jockeys obviously enjoyed talking to her and she did a much better job than the likes of Pershad and Chapman do on ITV. RTE punditry was also very good and would disagree with the poster above with regards to Davy Russell, he's not the most media trained but he does have a good insight into race riding particularly when analyzing a race afterwards. If only they'd get rid of Brian Gleeson, the coverage would be fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,231 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

kksaints wrote: »
    Thought Katie Walsh did a very good job on the after race interviews. Jockeys obviously enjoyed talking to her and she did a much better job than the likes of Pershad and Chapman do on ITV. RTE punditry was also very good and would disagree with the poster above with regards to Davy Russell, he's not the most media trained but he does have a good insight into race riding particularly when analyzing a race afterwards. If only they'd get rid of Brian Gleeson, the coverage would be fantastic.

Maybe I'm a bit harsh on Davy Russell, but he will need some media training if he intends to do some punditry after he retires as a jockey. Brian Gleeson is like the poor sidekick to the insane carry on of Chapman on ITV. I thought his interview with Jody and Paul Townsend today was so insensitive when he kept mentioning their late mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭rolling boh

am at the stage i just press the mute when Brian glesson appears he is terrible and by far the weak link on the team .

Cant stand Mangan even the tone of her voice gives me a headache, no strong opinions from what I've heard when shes not on mute either, Ruby is the best pundit in racing at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

am at the stage i just press the mute when Brian glesson appears he is terrible and by far the weak link on the team .

He's useless, can't stand him

Some of the rte team don't belong on tv especially gleeson and russell but mick fitz like somebody mentioned here a while back :confused: baffled as to how somebody saw fit to give him a job outside of him having leverage on somebody
    Worst of all time, willie carson was bad enough but mick fitz :o

Most impressed with Katie though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Gabynako 8/1 tomorrow... redeem yourself!

Place money will have to do....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,304 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Gleeson has been terrible, very cringey, Russell has spoken well this year, I think he is in pain or medicated because of his injuries, previously he was very good and would like to see more of him because he has his own strong opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭MyStubbleItches

Maybe I'm a bit harsh on Davy Russell, but he will need some media training if he intends to do some punditry after he retires as a jockey. Brian Gleeson is like the poor sidekick to the insane carry on of Chapman on ITV. I thought his interview with Jody and Paul Townsend today was so insensitive when he kept mentioning their late mother.

This. He was blatantly trying to make one of them shed a tear for their mother. Zero ****s given for the Townends, all about making him look like interviewer number 1 for trash tv.

Emmet Mullins landed some punt there in the bumper, he is proving himself dab hand at landing massive gambles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,722 ✭✭✭posturingpat

Id agree with the majority here that barring Gleeson the rte coverage is very good. Few points on the rte coverage.

Im surprised to hear someone criticise Jane Mangan. Eloquent and well spoken and an absolute wealth of knowledge and far from afraid of voicing an opinion when she has it.
    Shes not one to get involved and shout over others for the sake of it but she is brave enough to challenge any of them when she feels strongly on something.
    As someone mentioned Katie does a brilliant job out on horseback doing the after race interviews.
    Horse she's on is Thousand Stars. While watching Rte over the last 18 months I've had 3 very casual racing fans comment on this gorgeous grey Katie's riding. When I explain how TS was a racehorse previously and Katie has her at home in retirement they've all been surprised/impressed.
    It's the kind of thing that shines a real good light on the sport. ITV could take note.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭pottokblue

I loved Katies postrace interviews on Thousand Stars and that hes enjoying retired days at Katies I reckon hes around 16years old and hope he comes back next year for more tv coverage. In general I prefer RTE racing coverage than VM1/ITV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Gleeson is awful tries so hard to be Matt chapman. Another interview with an owner yesterday he spent half of it talking about the man's dead wife? Had him crying and all.

Mangan knows her stuff but there's just something about her it's like she thinks everyone looks down on her because she a woman and is constantly trying to prove herself. Just get on with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

FiftyP wrote: »
    I've been having some ****er yelling, "DOT DOT DASH DASH!" in my ear for days, and I was wondering which he was running in, but I guess it's this telegram thing.

You mean morse code?

Advertisement