Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dinner Tonight! Where to go? - Restaurant & Eating Out Recommendations for NCD

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Stheno wrote: »
    Now that we have had the family celebration, we are having a "can't believe we are together five years" celebration in the tapas bar in bon appetit this Tuesday

I'm drooling just at the thought of it! Hopefully it will be a good report back :)

Heh :D

This is me right now :D

homer-simpson-drooling-a.jpg

Didn't realise using the online booking system in bon appetit that the tapas bar wasn't open Tuesdays, so we ended up in La Brasserie. They have just gotten a bib gourmand as part of the Michelin awards and are doing three courses for €32.50 for the whole of October to celebrate which was a bonus.

Oh my goodness, it was absolutely superb. Lovely welcome and explanation of the a la carte and steak menus :)

Some bread arrived (which the OH guzzled, and is still raving about)

I'd scallops while he had salmon for starters, he complained the portion was a bit small (he's an awful bogger so "fine dining" is not up his street)

I'd the seabass stew with mussels, squid, spinach and chorizo for mains, while he had chicken.

Desserts were cheesboard for me, and chocolate tart for him, followed by a double espresso for me, and an americano for him.

Every dish was absolutely delicious, it was a fantastic meal, the service was fantastic and even OH said at the end that he really enjoyed it.

For a special occasion, it really fit the bill, staff were extremely friendly too, you know how sometimes in more upscale restaurants/hotels, they can nearly smother you? Not here, they have a lovely balance being friendly but professional. :)

I'm going back to patting my rather enlarged belly and smiling at the memory of a lovely evening now :D And perhaps dreaming of the next occasion we will have to visit bon appetit again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

We were in Mastersons a couple of weeks ago.
    Not impressed at all.
    Food was okay - but nothing out of the ordinary neither.

Very slow service. Yes, apologetic but no sincerity from the staff I found, and they all seemed ridiculously stressed out.

Going to the toilet a challenge too as they have cramped in that many tables, you have to pass by the area where the waiters pick up the food, which is very narrow and very busy.

General MEH from my side.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Headed to the Bracken Court on Friday. The missus had something from the a La Carte menu which she thoroughly enjoyed. The future sister in law had a burger which looked amazing and was reported to be excellent. They are experimenting with a pizza menu so I tried the smoked chicken and bacon. Unfortunately it was for the most part pretty flavourless but it's a new thing for them so can let it slide.

What I can't let slide is Raff's on the Corner in Skerries. We headed to Skerries looking to go to Ollies but just missed food being served. We headed down the street to Raff's where the future sister in law ordered a chicken pizza and liked it. However the missus and myself ordered two different burgers and were left hugely underwhelmed. The meat was absolutely tasteless as was the rest of the burger. I'm not fussy nor am I demanding but this was utterly the most tasteless burger I've ever had. How do you get a burger wrong? Topping it all off the chunky chips were far too oily.

It was my first time there and as we were both hugely disappointed (c'mon, a burger is impossible to get wrong!) we won't be back.

Thanks for the oily warning! I suppose if it was late in the evening the burgers were cooked earlier and kept hot their flavour and nutrition would decline the longer they were kept warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 october76

Hi all,
    Long time lurker here, was just wondering if anyone has tried the new thai restaurant in Rush? Have passed it many times and am very tempted to give it a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

october76 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Long time lurker here, was just wondering if anyone has tried the new thai restaurant in Rush? Have passed it many times and am very tempted to give it a go!

Today spoke to a few people about Rush and places to eat and got very good reports on the Cradle Bistro which is over the Michael Collins pub on Lr Main St.

They were raving about it having there 2 weeks ago and were on their way to book a table for 8. From what I hear it has been totally revamped inside and the menu is very good with a good choice of starters, mains and deserts. Hope to go up to it next week and will put up report.

All produce is sourced locally Rush, Lusk and Skerries for all shell fish, veg and meat and if they can get their fish from the pier in Howth. Hopefully this place will do well as Rush needs something other that Indian 9which I believe is good)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Harveys in Balbriggan gone down big time .......... Was one of the better establishments in the area now its less than average. Smaller portions and bad service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Went to Sapphires last night in Rush with a group from work and everyone was hugely impressed with the food.

Starters varied from soup, to a platter of springroll, chicken skewer and ribs, honey or BBQ.
    Mains also saw a varied selection from Steak, beef, Chicken in various sauces. The portions were generous and nicely presented.

Desserts were also excellent with a choice of 5. Around me people had profitteroles, selection of Ice creams.

The value was excellent you could have a meal for 2 with bottle of wine for €50 or a christmas special for €20.

I would highly recommend it if you want a night out. 10 out of 10

• Registered Users Posts: 32 BalbrigganGirl

Sapphire is amazing in Rush - by far the best Indian Food I've had.

Also can highly recommend Gourmet Food Company in Malahide - on the road out to Portmarnock on the right near Robs Wall - fab Tapa's and wine and desserts and a fab view over the sea too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Just a heads up, Blue in Skerries seem to have changed the sauce on their chicken wings... I'm devastated! I went with friends last week and the wings have always been the main attraction for me. The sauce is a darker colour, more red and it's hotter and more tangy (if that makes sense). I was chatting with my mam about it that evening and she mentioned that the last time she was there, her friend mentioned something similar. Booo :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Just a heads up, Blue in Skerries seem to have changed the sauce on their chicken wings... I'm devastated! I went with friends last week and the wings have always been the main attraction for me. The sauce is a darker colour, more red and it's hotter and more tangy (if that makes sense). I was chatting with my mam about it that evening and she mentioned that the last time she was there, her friend mentioned something similar. Booo :(

Oh no!! I loved their wings :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,008 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I thought they were a bit overrated myself. I look forward to trying the new sauce.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I did too :( I know it's not NCD but The Counter on Suffolk St do nice ones.... still not quite as good as the ones in Blue were though.

Has anyone tried the lunch special in Mastersons? Was there recently and got a huge main and a drink for about 8 euro. It was lovely! I'll definitely be back to nab that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

Pipmae wrote: »
    I thought they were a bit overrated myself. I look forward to trying the new sauce.:D

Never liked the wings in Blue, not a patch on what you get at the Eastern Seaboard, but as that's not located in NCD i suppose it doesn't count.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I am going to be trying Hogs and Heifers on Friday night.

How have people found the food? Particularly the steak? And what kind of craft beers do they have?

Thanks!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Where in DCN is that?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Where in DCN is that?

Airside in Swords, beside the Wright venue

I'm so out of touch. :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Uriel. wrote: »
    I am going to be trying Hogs and Heifers on Friday night.

How have people found the food? Particularly the steak? And what kind of craft beers do they have?

Thanks!!!!!

They have Galway Hooker and two or three types of Bo Bristle on tap then a range of bottles, I've no idea of the bottled beers.

Two posters on here including me were there the first week, and while we both found the food very good (including the steak) were not impressed with the service

See the last two posts here

It's only open about three weeks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭PaulD77

You can still get great wings in Skerries :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

This is because you are far too busy eating Roesti in Bern, no? :P

• Advertisement

Mr.Wemmick wrote: »
    This is because you are far too busy eating Roesti in Bern, no? :P

Nah he prefers slow roasted ham hock accompanied by a good wheat beer :D

Berner Platte actually. :)

Huärä geil, gau! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

Sapphires is a Chinese restaurant. I think you may be thinking of The Bombay Bistro which has unfortunately changed hands in the last few weeks.

I havent tried it since the new owners took over but reports have been mostly negative.:(

adox wrote: »
    I havent tried it since the new owners took over but reports have been mostly negative.:(

Unfortunately, that's true. I've been using Bombay House in Skerries after a few less than satisfactory takeaways from Bombay Bistro. :(

Also can highly recommend Gourmet Food Company in Malahide - on the road out to Portmarnock on the right near Robs Wall - fab Tapa's and wine and desserts and a fab view over the sea too.

I take that back !
    It was Bombay Bistro in Rush we went to and the food was amazing as was the service.

adox wrote: »
    Sapphires is a Chinese restaurant. I think you may be thinking of The Bombay Bistro which has unfortunately changed hands in the last few weeks.

That's sad to hear - I literally was going to book a meal for Monday for some friends. Thanks for the heads up on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Unfortunately, that's true. I've been using Bombay House in Skerries after a few less than satisfactory takeaways from Bombay Bistro. :(

I must try Bombay H. in Skerries. Our favourite is Pure Indian in Rush tried Bombay Bistro for a takeaway once and wasn't impressed, the rice was in lumps it was that sticky, and the rest wasn't much better.. A pity, heard great things about the food previously..

Pure indian make the best pilau rice, peshwari naan, butter chicken is melt in the mouth fab, and their starters are very good too.

Fabios takeaway in the Manor has now become a family favourite, introduced the OHs son to it tonight and we all enjoyed it.

Really nice food, good service, and great value

• Advertisement

After my previous negative experience that I posted about ref. Hogs and Heifers, we went there this evening for a quick bite.

They have ironed out a fair few of the issues they had, wait staff now have allocated areas, so we'd the one waiter all evening, service was very prompt, and the food was delicious. Compared to my last visit, I can't find fault at all tbh

It was an interesting mix of people there, at 7pm there were families, groups of adults etc.

Anyway, definitely giving this a thumbs up based on the work they've done to improve since mid-December, one of the few places in Swords that do a cheese board, and it was a super cheese board, five nice portions of cheese with crackers and honey, never would have thought of honey before, but it was very good.

I being greedy for cheese just had wings and cheese, OH had a burger, and wasn't able to finish his chips/coleslaw, but enjoyed it :)

Advertisement