Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Covid 19 Part XXIV-37,063 ROI (1,801 deaths) 12,886 NI (582 deaths) (02/10) Read OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,996 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Gradius wrote: »
    There have been a few very interesting studies regarding BDE levels cancelling out MPW.

I think it's fair to conclude that the government (and others) are lacking the BDE levels to tackle this thing. If we could somehow increase BDE I'm confident there would be a turnaround before Christmas.

Time will tell

Well if you could tell us what BDE and MPW mean that would be great for us unwashed. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Gradius

Well if you could tell us what BDE and MPW mean that would be great for us unwashed. :)

Big Dick Energy can be harnessed, much like a rotating windmill of shlongs, to blow the virus back to China.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

mpw
    mpw is an acronym standing for the term "My Penis When" randomly used in some imageboards and irc channels, it shows a way to express yourself when your penis get shocked, impressed or in someway amused by any image, news or comments.

anon1: hey look another incredibly fappable moe-moe animu this season!!
    anon2: >>mpw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

Galway lockdown imminent

In the sense that every county will get their turn in lockdown, sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

In the sense that every county will get their turn in lockdown, sure.

Most likely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,895 ✭✭✭Polar101

This really annoyed me. Because I can't see anything wrong with what's in this video, yet 500 people seem to think this woman is correct in shaming people doing absolutely nothing wrong.

So she thinks we should be outraged, because people are out and about in a busy city? Would be nicer if someone wasn't driving around in their car, filming people.

I guess she hasn't seen what the place looks like when pubs and restaurants (not just outdoors) are open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,641 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Galway lockdown imminent

Do you have a source for this, I was thinking more so Cork, there wasn't any major amount for Galway yesterday although we did have 21 the day before. I suppose it could all change just like that with college season kicking off.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    During the 17th century plague in London, all those infected were locked inside their houses.

For one night, the policy was switched, so that all the infected were allowed out to roam, while those not infected locked themselves inside.

Well, I thought it was an interesting historical anecdote.

I didn’t know this, but it’s a bit pointless as Bubonic plague is not that contiguous amongst humans but they didn’t know this at the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,628 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Do you have a source for this, I was thinking more so Cork, there wasn't any major amount for Galway yesterday although we did have 21 the day before. I suppose it could all change just like that with college season kicking off.

Nah, I think it's just some lad talking on the Internet - though I'd still be keeping an eye on those local figures. Seems usual to have had relatively highish numbers for a number of days during the week and for them to just suddenly drop off at the weekend. I don't know the full story, but it feels a bit strange that on the weekend suddenly there's no big numbers in Galway. What are the odds that they'll suddenly be back on Monday or Tuesday...

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Paddygreen

Most likely

Get ready for lockdown counties. Do what the experts recommend, follow the guidelines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,414 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Paddygreen wrote: »
    Get ready for lockdown counties. Do what the experts recommend, follow the guidelines.

Too many people in this county are selfish and have a "I couldn't give a bollix" attitude, I can only imagine the people who will want to push themselves to the top of the vaccine q with every possible dodgy excuse, another shower of pretentious bellends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Too many people in this county are selfish and have a "I couldn't give a bollix" attitude, I can only imagine the people who will want to push themselves to the top of the vaccine q with every possible dodgy excuse, another shower of pretentious bellends.
    Really not the way you can persuade those people to be less selfish! Clearly they don't have your willpower! Public messages ad nauseum to get most people back onside is what you do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

If two old houses have connected chimneys built and one house is full of students partying, if a student is infected could the air circulating into the next house infect the people next door?

Would that be likely?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Funsterdelux

This is a good piece about Western racism and blindness towards non white countries that have had an excellent response to covid

The-overwhelming-racism-of-covid-coverage-

Its always amuses me when someone say we cant do what say Vietnam has done because they shout different culture. Or when we say Sweden has a different culture to ours so we couldnt do what theyve done the same people say thats nonesense theyre the same as us.

s1ippy wrote: »
    If two old houses have connected chimneys built and one house is full of students partying, if a student is infected could the air circulating into the next house infect the people next door?

Would that be likely?

Highly unlikely. It would have to go up out the top and down the other chimney.

They would hardly share a flue. Even if it did, it woild most likely be sucked up with the draft

This is a good piece about Western racism and blindness towards non white countries that have had an excellent response to covid

The-overwhelming-racism-of-covid-coverage-
    A person who seems to hate white people and "white" countries goes on a rant! Most countries are far too busy addressing their own issues to be "racist".

Highly unlikely. It would have to go up out the top and down the other chimney.

They would hardly share a flue. Even if it did, it woild most likely be sucked up with the draft
    That's what my instinct told me as well... What if there's a strong draught blowing down into the living rooms from the shared vent at the top under the stacks?

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Newbie20

Completely agree with those saying the more outdoor dining the better. Most of these places have covers and heaters now anyway that are roasting.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that might be having a pint outside or whatever and then they declare that the group should move inside because its gotten too cold.

Somebody in another thread was complaining about windows being open in school, saying it’s going to be freezing cold for students, when of course at this time ventilation is more important. I often think if some people didn’t spend all their time actively avoiding the bit of coldness outdoors, they mightn’t be off sick as often as they are. It’s mild quiet often in Ireland even in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭giveitholly

That's what my instinct told me as well... What if there's a strong draught blowing down into the living rooms from the shared vent at the top under the stacks?

Can people pass it on by farting I wonder?

You should stop right there with that thought process. Probably more likely to be hit by lightning!:)

God, we all have far too much down time!

is_that_so wrote: »
    God, we all have far too much down time!

Well between shared chimneys and people farting we could be all doomed!!!

People have gotten it through plumbing, now that they're acknowledging aerosol transmission it stands to reason that airflow and ventilation could carry it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Just follow the guidelines and fart into your elbow or sleeve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

Just wear an ass mask

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,322 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Newbie20 wrote: »
    Completely agree with those saying the more outdoor dining the better. Most of these places have covers and heaters now anyway that are roasting.

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of people that might be having a pint outside or whatever and then they declare that the group should move inside because its gotten too cold.

Somebody in another thread was complaining about windows being open in school, saying it’s going to be freezing cold for students, when of course at this time ventilation is more important. I often think if some people didn’t spend all their time actively avoiding the bit of coldness outdoors, they mightn’t be off sick as often as they are. It’s mild quiet often in Ireland even in winter.

Absolutely agree with your last paragraph, people are bundled up too much during our winters when it’s not even that cold most of the time. I can remember the last time I was sick as it rarely happens (touch wood) because I seem to have a fairly good immune system, but I honestly think that’s because I wasn’t wrapped in layers of clothing by my mother when I was young...it amazes me how many people in this country get cold so easily; we need to expose ourselves to the elements a bit more :-D within reason obviously!

is_that_so wrote: »
    A person who seems to hate white people and "white" countries goes on a rant! Most countries are far too busy addressing their own issues to be "racist".

I noticed it myself and I hate all peoples and countries equally.

Were you offended?

I noticed it myself and I hate all peoples and countries equally.

Were you offended?
    No, bored by line 2 but I did skim it!

• Advertisement

True, we havent evolved to be indoors so much.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭Away With The Fairies

I can't believe there's very little advice for the winter ahead. The most important thing is opening windows.

Saw three buses pass by me the other day and not one window open.

I can't believe there's very little advice for the winter ahead. The most important thing is opening windows.

Saw three buses pass by me the other day and not one window open.

Do expressway type buses even have opening windows?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Would that be likely?

Generally if this were an issue you would likely ‘smell’ the other apartment/ house. Cooking causes a crazy amount of substances to be aerosolised so you’d smell that if air was coming in (even with an extractor fan)

Should be grand. I’ve stayed in hotels and smelled the Chinese takeaway someone was eating in the other room due to shared ventilation. So it can happen but I’d say unlikely in this case.

Edit: If you do think it’s an issue it can be solved by opening the windows regularly. As others have said this can go a long way in combating this.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Jackman25

https://twitter.com/StefPreissner/status/1309865496158896133?s=20

This really annoyed me. Because I can't see anything wrong with what's in this video, yet 500 people seem to think this woman is correct in shaming people doing absolutely nothing wrong.

Great to see this curtain-twitching non-entity getting lashed out of it in the comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

Jackman25 wrote: »
    Great to see this curtain-twitching non-entity getting lashed out of it in the comments.

Great to see people living life OUTSIDE. Nothing wrong for the most part. Some tables would be a bit close for my comfort but on the whole it’s a good adjustment. Fair play to the businesses doing something instead of moaning at the gov and anybody who’ll listen that we need to pay their mortgage during a pandemic.

Do expressway type buses even have opening windows?

I don't think the expressway type buses do. The city buses do though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭wadacrack

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭schmoo2k

Probably discussed already, but why don't we do a country wide lockdown for two weeks every 3 months? (first two weeks in Oct, Jan etc.)

Disruption would be minimal since we know well in advance and it would effectively reset the community spread back to what we had during the summer?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Gods Gift wrote: »
    The next 24 hours are crucial.

Are they more crucial or less crucial than the previous 24 hours or the following 24 hours?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Gruffalux

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Just follow the guidelines and fart into your elbow or sleeve.

All that Yoga and Pilates up and down the country finally gets called to action at the front line.

wadacrack wrote: »

How many extra ICU beds were put into the system over the summer to deal with the winter surge or second wave?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 284 ✭✭DraftDodger

Just wear an ass mask

So a pair of jocks so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

schmoo2k wrote: »
    Probably discussed already, but why don't we do a country wide lockdown for two weeks every 3 months? (first two weeks in Oct, Jan etc.)

Disruption would be minimal since we know well in advance and it would effectively reset the community spread back to what we had during the summer?

would 2 weeks be enough for NPHET?

• Advertisement

How many extra ICU beds were put into the system over the summer to deal with the winter surge or second wave?

So do you think you can do whatever you want because of extra ICU beds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,153 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

wadacrack wrote: »

Its a pity the HSE didnt answer the call to arms and increase the ICU capacity while they had a low rate in the summer . Its a pity they didnt answer the call to arms and employ more nurses to man the ICU beds and get testing and tracing up to what they promised us .
    If we are to answer the call to arms let the HSE lead by example

Where exactly did I say that? I asked how many extra ICU beds were put into the system over the summer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 837 ✭✭✭John O.Groats

Whatever about this particular poster many do appear to be under that impression. Personal responsibility is an alien concept to these types.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭robfowler78

Are we still officially at 1800 deaths was there not some reduction In the amount In Jul in relation to registered deaths or something like that. Or maybe it was compared to RIP or something. I think I read that or maybe I was mistaken there is a lot of different info around.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement