Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boardsies Decide - The Best Wrestling Theme Song... EVER

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters). Chose this as it was a good evolution of an established classic. More sinister and fitted the character at the time.

Legion of Doom - What a Rush. Fits any era. It’s that good.

Ric Flair - Also Sprach Zarathustra. It’s grandiose. It’s epic. It’s becoming a champion. It has a wonderful crescendo too.

Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay. This beats the RAW intro. Disappointed not to see Takers Ministry theme get a run out. A real underrated gem with the satanic lyrics and sped up beats. Really really atmospheric.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money

Edge - Metalingus

Cult of Personality - CM Punk

Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,160 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay. This beats the RAW intro. Disappointed not to see Takers Ministry theme get a run out. A real underrated gem with the satanic lyrics and sped up beats. Really really atmospheric.

I actually had that included as one of my own nominations but took it out as there were already two Taker themes nominated (three technically including Battle Royale)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money VS Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Legion of Doom VS Edge - Metalingus
    Ric Flair WWE Theme VS Cult of Personality - CM Punk
    Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay VS Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

Current Scores:

NWO and DX through whilst Jericho is on the cusp of knocking out the previous winning theme.

Other battles are shaping up nicely too.

Real American - Hulk Hogan 3 5 Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down
    Kurt Angle: Medal 2 6 NWO black & white - For Life
    The Brood/Gangrel 2 6 D - Generaton X - original theme

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money 3 3 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Legion of Doom 4 2 Edge - Metalingus
    Ric Flair WWE Theme 4 2 Cult of Personality - CM Punk
    Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay 4 2 Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

Real American - Hulk Hogan 3 5 Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down
    I'm going for Jericho

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money 3 3 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    One of the greatest troll songs of all time! Sorry Austin 3:16, you're out!

Legion of Doom 4 2 Edge - Metalingus
    Keeping the LOD live

Ric Flair WWE Theme 4 2 Cult of Personality - CM Punk

Cult of Personality is perfect for the current Leo led Police state!!!

Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay 4 2 Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

Burn that **** down!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,026 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Edge - Metalingus

Incredibly tight in the last 4 matches here:

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money 4 4 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Legion of Doom 5 3 Edge - Metalingus
    Ric Flair WWE Theme 4 4 Cult of Personality - CM Punk
    Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay 4 4 Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

Meanwhile Y2J puts Hogan out of the contest!

Real American - Hulk Hogan 3 6 Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money VS Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    I love the Shane theme, but the Austin theme just carries so much weight with it as a theme song. Austin was a megastar, and the theme was hugely popular, and really suited him. Gave a whole new level of aggression to his entrance.

Legion of Doom VS Edge - Metalingus
    L.O.D is just too classic a theme. One of the themes everyone knows and people that haven't seen WWE in decades will still recognise the "Oh What a Rush" line from the beginning.

Ric Flair WWE Theme VS Cult of Personality - CM Punk
    Again, Cult of Personality is a great standalone song, but it's not an amazing theme as such. Anyone could saunter down the aisle to it, and Punk himself, good as he was, was probably better suited to the This Fire Burns theme for the bit of adrenaline on his entrance.

Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay VS Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground
    Undertaker's You're Gonna Pay was one of his best themes (arguably the best 'Bad Ass' theme he had). Can't vote against it when it's up against Burn It To The Ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,537 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Shane O' Mac - Here Comes The Money
    Edge - Metalingus

Liz's votes make it:

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money 5 5 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Legion of Doom 6 3 Edge - Metalingus
    Ric Flair WWE Theme 5 5 Cult of Personality - CM Punk
    Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay 5 5 Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

Dead heats in all three remaining ties, next vote either way will win!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Necro wrote: »
    Liz's votes make it:

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money 5 5 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Legion of Doom 6 3 Edge - Metalingus
    Ric Flair WWE Theme 5 5 Cult of Personality - CM Punk
    Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay 5 5 Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

Dead heats in all three remaining ties, next vote either way will win!

Stone Cold easily
    Cult of Personality
    Both Undertaker and Raw have had better themes than these. Raw just edges it imo

Shane O Mac - Here Comes The Money 5 6 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Ric Flair WWE Theme 5 6 Cult of Personality - CM Punk
    Undertaker - You're Gonna Pay 5 6 Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground

And that's it, ShaneU puts Austin, Punk and Nickleback through to the QFs!!

Your final 8 are:

Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy
    NWO black & white - For Life
    D - Generaton X - original theme
    Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down
    Legion of Doom

Quarter Finals coming up shortly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,941 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Oh god that was Nickleback? I retract my vote :D

ShaneU wrote: »

I refuse to have a bad word said about Nickelback especially since we live in a world with Imagine Dragons

• Advertisement

Ok, Quarter Final time. You will need a reason to accompany your vote for it to count from this stage on.

I'm also going to make this most valid votes wins, so time limit is 10.30am tomorrow for the QFs, I'll post the Semis tomorrow then and hopefully the final in the evening.

Quarter Final 1:

Fitting that one of Monday Night RAW's themes takes on the NWO's traditional jingle for a place in the semis.

VS

Quarter Final 2:

HBK has been utterly dominant thus far, a surefire favourite since the beginning, how will he do against the Texas Rattlesnake?

VS

Quarter Final 3:

Punk takes on DX, this one may be academic... or is it? Punk has taken down HHH and Flair in previous rounds to get this far.

VS

Quarter Final 4:

The Wildcard entrant took out Hogan in the last round, can he add another pair of legends to his list?

VS

Legion of Doom

Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground VS NWO black & white - For Life
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy VS Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Cult of Personality - CM Punk VS D - Generaton X - original theme
    Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down VS Legion of Doom

Raw
    HBK
    CM Punk
    Y2J

Y2J

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

The reason is pretty much the same for all of them. Decent tunes in their own right taking wrestling out of it.

For the quarter finals, I'm looking for something more, something visceral (Not Visera - RIP). As such, the song needs to have brought a crowd to life, made people foam at mouth or raise the roof.

A good song is fine, but did the theme make you jump off your seat as they ran in to interfere in a brawl, did you say "yes!" When they surprise entered or did your heart drop as your favourite wrestler was down to the last two in the rumble and this song popped.

This is serious.

From when Hogan turned Black and White, the mere sound of this song used to elicit boos and cheers in every arena. But most of all, when the music started up, you knew **** was going to do down.

Stone Cold wins this for me, but it may be more a reflection on the character than the theme. How many times did the glass shatter and the crowd exploded. While Sexy Boy was iconic, Stone Colds was generational

Similar to Austin, while the Punk entrance could have gone with anyone, Chris Warren nailed what DX were about. Chaos, anarchy and disobedience. A banger.

Jericho wins now that you've added the countdown. I think he's had 5 or 6 WWE returns, and nearly every one had the clock countdown, and an entire arena jump to their feet.

While LOD had a classic theme, they had a tough draw here with Jericho one of the favourites for the title.

• Advertisement

NWO - For Life. This was somehow chaotic and cool at once. The propaganda vibes and the all round aura must have it as a semi finalist in my opinion.

Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy. The longevity of this track gives it the nod for me. Also really enjoy that his own voice is on it.

CM Punk VS D - Generation X. A tough one. A very tough one. Two good intros here, although DX didn’t always use their full one. I think the static of COP does it for me as it gets a great pop. CM Punk to advance.

Legion of Doom. The visceral roar of the WHAT A RUSH is one of THE sounds in wrestling. LOD’s heyday was a little before my time but even with that said it’s The Road Warriors for me.

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Raw
    HBK
    CM Punk
    Y2J
    PsychoPete wrote: »
    Y2J

He said you have to give reasons you pair of jobbers.

nWo here. Start of the wars and the first faction I found cool. As I didn’t watch wCw much it seemed everyone was in it with Leno and Rodman etc

HBK here. His only team I believe. All time classic and the intro never got old

DX here for many reasons but more so as my favorite stable ever!

Y2J here. The countdown timer and the debut and returns were Allways must see and heralded any thing could happen

Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground, this is the most memorable raw theme for me and definitely my favourite
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy, HBK here because this theme song fits him absolutely perfectly recognizable straight away
    D - Generaton X - original theme, been d-x should be enough of a reason and if you dont like it I got two words for ya, suck it!
    Y2J - have to give it to Jericho for that countdown alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,330 ✭✭✭fixXxer

ShaneU wrote: »

Did we just become mortal enemies?! :D

Raw - One of the better opening show themes
    HBK - I really wanted Sexy Kurt but I will take Sexy Boy :p
    CM Punk - After his pipe bomb seem to suit him well
    Y2J - He did break the walls down, epic entrance

Current Scores:

Still time for things to change! Punk and DX locked in an eternal battle. See you all at 1pm when I announce the winners and post the semis!

Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground 2 4 NWO black & white - For Life
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 4 2 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)

Cult of Personality - CM Punk 3 3 D - Generaton X - original theme
    Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down 5 1 Legion of Doom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground - I like the riffs
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy - All time classic
    D - Generaton X - original theme - Its DX - simples
    Legion of Doom - Never liked Jericho

Monday Night RAW - NWO music was the drizzly ****s. Only fondly remembered because of the b&w camera work

Shawn Michaels - Two songs that really suited both. Shattered Glass was perfect for heel Austin, loved it, but have to give the nod to Sexy Boy.

DX - Cult of Personality was fine but DX is iconic.

Jericho - Outisde the "OOooOOOooo WHAT A RUSH!" LOD's was average enough. Jericho's was great throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

NWO - Easy choice. Show themes never really connect with me the same way as entrance theme's, and this is one of the greats. Instantly evokes memories of the best of WCW.
    HBK - It's mad how this survived all the different HBK characters over the years - it's just so damn catchy.
    CM Punk - DX is good, but I prefer this. Suited Punk down to the ground.
    Y2J - Wouldn't have put either of these this late into the competition myself, but Y2J is easily the better tune overall.

• Advertisement

Although Burn it to the Ground was a good intro theme for RAW, I am beyond amazed it has made it so far in this tournament. A great TV intro theme, and well suited to it's purpose, but nowhere near as good as the nWo theme for it's ability to instantly change the atmosphere. Also carried a real iconic feel about it, too, as it lasted so long and always had a big impact (especially, as I keep on mentioning here, in WWE when the production quality got ramped up).

Arguably the best Stone Cold Steve Austin theme that he ever had. Much more aggressive and also lined up with his own character becoming much more aggressive. The Sexy Boy theme is a fantastic theme, and I love that they went to the effort of even getting Shawn himself to sing it, it really suited him, but it's hard to not get mental images of Austin doing his 'walk' to the ring, lumbering from side to side, and dragging the belt along the ground, down the ramp, as he shouted random abuse in every direction with Glass Shatters blaring in the background.

Was never a massive fan of the DX Theme, but it's a significantly better theme than Cult of Personality was. I get that Punk used that theme before (and after) his WWE run and it had kinda been 'his' theme for a long time, but I just felt it was a little jarring with his character in WWE. His "smart mark" and "I'll say what everyone else won't" kind of thing was grand, but the theme just didnt click with me for it, for some reason. As a result, I'd vote DX through, not because I love it, but just because it's better than the alternative.

Again, when it comes to iconic themes, that you'll never forget, the L.O.D have to take it. Jericho's theme was amazing, and is obviously a much better standalone song, and perhaps there's an emotional/nostalgiac attachment to the L.O.D theme for me, but i just felt it was a great theme and the opening line always got a great pop.

Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground 4 6 NWO black & white - For Life
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 7 3 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)

Cult of Personality - CM Punk 4 6 D - Generaton X - original theme
    Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down 7 3 Legion of Doom

Your semi finalists in bold above!!

Interesting that HBK has used 3 of the 4 of them!

Let's go, final 4 time now!

Semi Final 1:

Our wildcard entrant has come a long way, but will Y2J be finally stopped by the Black and White train?

VS

Semi Final 2:

Michaels VS his creation. Which theme will progress to the final?

VS

Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down VS NWO black & white - For Life
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy VS D - Generaton X - original theme

Voting will close at 7pm. Most valid votes (with reasons) will advance to the grand final tonight

nWo here for me. Great theme and big time feel to it

DX here loved everything they done and also battle of the 2 biggest factions ever in wrestling hopefully in the final if they get through

Gonna listen to them all in full before answering.

Semi Final 1 I’m giving to NWO. Reason being I can just imagine Hogan air guitaring to it, Hall doing that slide he does with his arms out and an array of supporting characters just being utter c*nts while it plays. It fit the group so well.

Semi Final 2. DX because it builds up very well. It’s good for whipping the crowd into a frenzy. “ARE YOU READY.... dun dun nyyyyyyrrroaw....”

NWO black & white - For Life - Only voted nWo because I cant stand Jericho
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy - Its the theme for an all-time great who was involved in many historic moments. Also its a fun song.

Y2J - Everytime it played I was excited to see and hear him, you knew u were going be entertained, great entrance

HBK - It just fitted the entrance and persona of Shawn perfectly

At this stage in the game, it's really picking based on trivialities more than anything else, I reckon, and all the themes are generally pretty good at this stage. For Jericho and the nWo I still have to reside firlmy in the nWo camp. Jericho's theme

The nWo theme stands out a lot as it's such a tinny theme. There's so little bass in the track that it just echoes through the arenas, and it gives such a different entrance vibe than many of the other themes out there (Triple H, Rock, Austin, Hogan, etc. where the bass is practically shaking the arena). Here's a great example as to why I love it.

The atmosphere (again, helped by WWE's production quality) really just adds a whole new level of depth to the theme and the entrance. It's so perfectly suited to an 'outsider' group (which was obviously the case for the nWo both when they appeared in WCW and WWE).

A fantastic track, that is identifiable anywhere along the way, and certainly played an important part in the overall image of the nWo and helped them with their successes and popularity over time.

Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy VS D - Generation X - original theme

I really wanted to vote for DX, so we could have a DX vs nWo finale, but I just don't think it's the better of the two themes here, by any stretch. It's a grand theme, and I have watched a few DX intros and it did serve a great purpose and built them up as a great faction and such, but I just can't seem to 'get it' for some reason.

It doesn't help that it's up against an almighty classic either, that couldn't be any more suited to Shawn Michaels than Sexy Boy is. Michaels' entrance, his pace, movements, etc. throughout the years have always matched well with the theme tune, and it's never seemed like a theme that was forced on someone who was playing a character they didn't believe in. There's no doubt about Michaels' ego, and his embracing of the Sexy Boy theme, and the pop it got, was tremendous. A great example of a theme song doing exactly what it's supposed to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,424 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sexy boy- suited shawn Michael's and the persona down to the ground

The wildcard - the countdown clock, the attitude. I just loved hearing that entrance theme every time it came on. And it's my only nomination in this competition. Come on the Wildcard!

You have to give this one to the NWO.
    The Ayatollah of Rock'n'rolla had a great run, but when you look at the black/white camera, the takeover effect, and just how cool they seemed at the start (not as much 10 years later when they were limping down the ramp), this is a classic.

My heart says DX, my brain says HBK. I was a massive t-shirt wearing DX kid, but the Sexy Boy music was iconic, and the fact it stayed with him for his entire career said it all.

Just under 45 mins left to cast your vote....

Jericho - Great from start to finish and there's only so many way I can say NWO's was decidely meh haha

Shawn Michaels - Both iconic, both well suited to their performers, but Sexy Boy nudges it. Would have been a worthy final.

NWO - It just suits so well and completely fitted their style
    D-X! its d-x, one of the most entertaining acts in wwe with an awesome theme to match

Time has elapsed - and your finalists are:

Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down 3 6 NWO black & white - For Life
    Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 6 3 D - Generaton X - original theme

Final coming shortly and will run till tomorrow evening.

• Advertisement

Grand Final:

Here we go folks, we've whittled it down to the last two.

And you have decided it will be:

WCW VS WWE
    Michaels VS Hogan and crew
    Sexy Boy VS 4 Life!!

I've included an extra video for each that imo encapsulates the theme in the best possible way (I tried hard to find a WCW video but none of them were great tbh :( )

In the blue corner.... (spray painted black and white)

NWO Black & White - For Life

Road To The Final:

Round 1 NWO black & white - For Life 6 2 Tazz Theme - If You Dare
    Round 2 NWO black & white - For Life 6 2 Stone Cold - Original
    Round 3 NWO black & white - For Life 6 2 Kurt Angle: Medal
    Quarter Final NWO black & white - For Life 6 4 Monday Night RAW - Burn It To The Ground
    Semi Final NWO black & white - For Life 6 3 Chris Jericho - Break The Walls Down

VS

In the red corner....

Road To The Final:

Round 1 Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 6 2 Monday Night RAW - Across the Nation
    Round 2 Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 6 2 Nwo Wolfpac
    Round 3 Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 6 0 Triple H - King of Kings
    Quarter Final Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 7 3 Stone Cold - Disturbed (Glass Shatters)
    Semi Final Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy 6 3 D - Generaton X - original theme

NWO black & white - For Life VS Shawn Michaels - Sexy Boy

Most votes cast by 8pm tomorrow wins. Votes without reasons will not be counted.

61b59-1516067998-800-677e.jpg?quality=90&strip=all&zoom=1&resize=644%2C429&ssl=1

He was the best in the ring and his tune is the best of them all. NWO's is nothing without the black and white gimmick.

Kinda have to stick with the nWo theme now as I’ve voted it throughout... breakout faction and Allways kept my interest

HBK.
    Fun song and never seems out of date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

NWO for me. Wouldn't be a huge fan of the Michaels one and NWO is pretty catchy

• Advertisement
Advertisement