Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭podge3

Did you contact them about it podge?

I was going to order ovoids from them now that the price has dropped but I'm not sure after reading your post.
    I didn't contact them TBH as I don't really see any point. I can't send it back and it does burn, although not as good as previous batches.

I have recommended these ovoids to lots of friends and family over the last few years but unfortunately can no longer do so based on what I now have.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

I’m fortunate enough to live in a border area for coal and oil. The best ovoids I have found are ‘Coalite’. Usually around €16 a bag, they produce far superior heat and a lot less ash than it’s competitors. It’s like they are harder or tighter compressed than the others. Coalite seems to have far less sulphur content too. Highly recommended as I find that quality of other ovoids seems to vary a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

Recently i have had a good amount of slag sticking to the grate every morning when cleaning the ashes, we use Kosyking kosy glo ovoids, every couple of days i have to get a hammer and chisel and try to get it all off, we only use coal, nothing else, it got to the point where it was eating through the grate of our esse 350gs boiler stove, so we ordered a new grate and fitted it a couple of weeks ago, and within 3 days the same slag is sticking to the grate like concrete, i was talking to the guys at Kosyking, who are very helpful, and they told me that no one else has this problem to their knowledge, and there is no change in their supplier of this type of coal.

We have been using this type of coal for years, must have ordered 20 tons by now, and it is only recently with the last few pallets that we have had this slag sticking to the grate, they advised trying another type of coal, we have tried different types in the past, but found kosy glo to be the best for our needs. it must be the coal that has changed, as the last grate had no problems at all with kosy glo for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

cranefly wrote: »
    Recently i have had a good amount of slag sticking to the grate every morning when cleaning the ashes, we use Kosyking kosy glo ovoids, every couple of days i have to get a hammer and chisel and try to get it all off, we only use coal, nothing else, it got to the point where it was eating through the grate of our esse 350gs boiler stove, so we ordered a new grate and fitted it a couple of weeks ago, and within 3 days the same slag is sticking to the grate like concrete, i was talking to the guys at Kosyking, who are very helpful, and they told me that no one else has this problem to their knowledge, and there is no change in their supplier of this type of coal.

We have been using this type of coal for years, must have ordered 20 tons by now, and it is only recently with the last few pallets that we have had this slag sticking to the grate, they advised trying another type of coal, we have tried different types in the past, but found kosy glo to be the best for our needs. it must be the coal that has changed, as the last grate had no problems at all with kosy glo for years.

Have similar problem, actually change my grate at least once a year (grates now are crap,don't last- 16 " one in my local co op is cheap enough though around the e18 mark ( dairygold co op Carrigalin)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭tinofapples

cranefly wrote: »

Have had similar problems with grate in my solid fuel boiler but with Polish Doubles from Kosyking as well. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

Have had similar problems with grate in my solid fuel boiler but with Polish Doubles from Kosyking as well. :(

The slag you mention is also known as ‘clinker’ and is usually a result of ash bonding at high temperatures. It can be like concrete alright, often it can only be removed when the range is not lit. Can’t say this is usually an issue with ovoids as the ash tends to be very fine and riddles well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

podge3 wrote: »
    I'm very unhappy with my last delivery of ovoids from CW.

I have been getting ovoids from them since this thread started, probably got about 12 tons in total now. I have always found they burn great, with very little ash left.

However, the last delivery a few weeks back must be a different recipe. I used to have a few shovels of light (in weight) brownish grey ash in the morning but now I have about 20% of the original volume of ovoids in heavy black ash. Heat output seems down as well.

Nothing to be done now but burn through the 2 tons and probably move onto another supplier for my delivery next winter.
    I didn't contact them TBH as I don't really see any point. I can't send it back and it does burn, although not as good as previous batches.

I have recommended these ovoids to lots of friends and family over the last few years but unfortunately can no longer do so based on what I now have.

You're not alone Podge.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111894113&postcount=2889

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111912960&postcount=2894

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111914717&postcount=2898

.. I've had the exact same experience. I've sent on images and my findings, and had a conversation over Facebook messenger with the manager, but it came to nothing.

I'm relecutant now to order anymore from them tbh, as the quality of the last tonne was inferior to other years, and I knew I couldn't be the only one.

If you are getting on to them you can mention my case if it helps, and I can PM you details and screenshots of the conversations I had.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭cranefly

This also happened years ago when we had the open fireplace burning normal household coal, it would burn through the grate every year or so, although when we built the house in 1995 the grate lasted well over 10 years, we only changed it because we thought it could do with a new one, not because it was too damaged or anything, with the newer grates, we were lucky to get 2 years out of them, before they completely got burnt through, so the materials they were using were not as good as they were in 95.

The boiler stove we got in 2012 had a grate that lasted for 6 years burning first CW ovoids then kosy glo ovoids, and not a problem until the last 2 pallets, they are doing something different with the way they make these ovoids that is for sure, although it burns really well, gives off good heat, very little ash, compared to some others, leaves a nice amount of cinders to start the fire again the next day, but something has changed. They do not make anything now like they use to, that is for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Sheedy234

Did you contact them about it podge?

I was going to order ovoids from them now that the price has dropped but I'm not sure after reading your post.

I got large ovoids from easyglow this winter and was very happy with them. My last lot from CW were pure wet . Easyglow arrange the delivery themselves.

You're not alone Podge.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111894113&postcount=2889

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111912960&postcount=2894

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=111914717&postcount=2898

.. I've had the exact same experience. I've sent on images and my findings, and had a conversation over Facebook messenger with the manager, but it came to nothing.

I'm relecutant now to order anymore from them tbh, as the quality of the last tonne was inferior to other years, and I knew I couldn't be the only one.

If you are getting on to them you can mention my case if it helps, and I can PM you details and screenshots of the conversations I had.
    Thanks for the info.

Another Boardsie also contacted me about a poor experience they had with CW. I was going to contact the company but now I'm thinking there is no real point. Even if they give me a discount on the next order, I won't be buying from them again.

The only solution that would be of interest to me is the complete replacement of the 2 tons I have with a batch of a different recipe but I can see that happening with CW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Thanks for the info.

Another Boardsie also contacted me about a poor experience they had with CW. I was going to contact the company but now I'm thinking there is no real point. Even if they give me a discount on the next order, I won't be buying from them again.

The only solution that would be of interest to me is the complete replacement of the 2 tons I have with a batch of a different recipe but I can see that happening with CW.

I contacted them after I read your post and told them I was going to place an order but had seen negative feedback on boards.ie about a recent batch of ovoids and asked if they had changed supplier recently.

I was told they are using the same supplier as the previous few years and it's possible the customer got a load with a lot of dust in the bags.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

I contacted them after I read your post and told them I was going to place an order but had seen negative feedback on boards.ie about a recent batch of ovoids and asked if they had changed supplier recently.

I was told they are using the same supplier as the previous few years and it's possible the customer got a load with a lot of dust in the bags.
    Thanks for the update.

No dust in the bags at all, the ovoids look like they always have, just not burning as well and with a lot of black dust left over. I also think they take longer to get going when lit.

I probably will ring now just to see what they say.

I just messaged them on Facebook, will report back if I get an update.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Vwsham wrote: »
    I’m fortunate enough to live in a border area for coal and oil. The best ovoids I have found are ‘Coalite’. Usually around €16 a bag, they produce far superior heat and a lot less ash than it’s competitors. It’s like they are harder or tighter compressed than the others. Coalite seems to have far less sulphur content too. Highly recommended as I find that quality of other ovoids seems to vary a lot.

Where are you buying he Coalite, not heard of it before?
    Have used:
    Stovoids from King coal, dear but great heat
    Easyglo (a lot of broken ovoids looked like 2nds but burnt well)
    Kosyking ovoids, no issues, but worried about slag comments re recent batches
    Worst about buying half tonne or tonne is if you get bad stuff its a pain in the ####

Thanks for the update.

No dust in the bags at all, the ovoids look like they always have, just not burning as well and with a lot of black dust left over. I also think they take longer to get going when lit.

I probably will ring now just to see what they say.
    I just messaged them on Facebook, will report back if I get an update.

Keep us updated.

If it helps I was speaking extensively to Ronan about the issue in December who I sent numerous photos about the quality and some observations I made.

So you guys 100% won't have been the only ones on and I suspect many others too. It can do no harm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I too have noticed a decline in the quality of CW ovoids. They seem to have a lower heat output and lots more ash and they burn faster. I'm noticing also there are way too many broken bits and dust in the bags.
    I will send on a message also. Maybe if we all make complaints they might go back to the original quality. Otherwise its bye bye CW

I too have noticed a decline in the quality of CW ovoids. They seem to have a lower heat output and lots more ash and they burn faster. I'm noticing also there are way too many broken bits and dust in the bags.
    I will send on a message also. Maybe if we all make complaints they might go back to the original quality. Otherwise its bye bye CW

No harm.

Yea, some of the photos I sent them in Dec noted the broken Ovoids and the crystalising is the center of them. They felt different too...weight wise.

I do know they had a really bad batch of poiish coal the season before, would they have used that in the ovoids as a mix, or am I talking through my hole here?

No harm.

Yea, some of the photos I sent them in Dec noted the broken Ovoids and the crystalising is the center of them. They felt different too...weight wise.

I do know they had a really bad batch of poiish coal the season before, would they have used that in the ovoids as a mix, or am I talking through my hole here?

That's a good point. U may well be right.

In fairness to them they are good to respond to messages, I just got this reply from them.

No, we have been using the same supplier this past few years, possible that it is a bad batch but thank you for letting us know and I am going to pass these messages onto to our supplier also. Will get chatting to Ronan tomorrow and come back to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

That's a good point. U may well be right.

In fairness to them they are good to respond to messages, I just got this reply from them.

No, we have been using the same supplier this past few years, possible that it is a bad batch but thank you for letting us know and I am going to pass these messages onto to our supplier also. Will get chatting to Ronan tomorrow and come back to you.

Seems odd that they are saying it's a bad batch but not Willing to rectify it

Actually, I must have gotten some of that coal also.

I normally get an 8:1 mix of ovoids/coal from CW. Last year, the coal was really bad. I only use coal to light the fire so it didn't really bother me and had forgotten until you mentioned it.

• Advertisement

I still have 4-5 of those red bags left, I remember getting some discount when I ordered the following ton after complaining about the quality of it.

To be quite honest it's not that bad, burned a few bags of it last week and the week before mixed with blocks and it was okay, some cinders alright but just used them to start the next day's fire.

I was going to order half and half ovoids and Polish again but I think I'll give the ovoids a skip now after reading the latest posts here, thinking maybe half a ton of Colombian doubles might be worth a go. Anyone try them in a stove or know of anything that might be better value?

Also is McGovern's the cheapest courier at 60 euro plus vat per ton?

Thanks for all the feedback by the way guys.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

I am just following up on coal warehouse current poor batch of ovoids. I got the following message from them today.

"we have been onto our suppliers and we have been told due to the Covoid-19 shipping restrictions they have run out of their normal binder and have had to source a different binder which is not as good, they have assured me that before the end of the month they will have their old binder back in stock and therefore the ovoids will improve."

I bought my tonne of coal before covid existed. So i'll take that message with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,501 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I am just following up on coal warehouse current poor batch of ovoids. I got the following message from them today.

"we have been onto our suppliers and we have been told due to the Covoid-19 shipping restrictions they have run out of their normal binder and have had to source a different binder which is not as good, they have assured me that before the end of the month they will have their old binder back in stock and therefore the ovoids will improve."

I bought my tonne of coal before covid existed. So i'll take that message with a pinch of salt.
    Have you gone back to them with that information?

Have you gone back to them with that information?

No

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭vickers209

Just to remind people suppliers down the south of Ireland will have to pay the increase in carbon tax from next friday 1st may.

A Bag of 40kg coal is increasing 80c a bag
    Briquettes are going up 30c a bale
    small 11kg of gas around €1 increase
    large cylinders approx €4.50 increase
    heating oil will also increase around €20 for 1000litres
    This won't effect buying from the north just local suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

vickers209 wrote: »
    Just to remind people suppliers down the south of Ireland will have to pay the increase in carbon tax from next friday 1st may.

A Bag of 40kg coal is increasing 80c a bag
    Briquettes are going up 30c a bale
    small 11kg of gas around €1 increase
    large cylinders approx €4.50 increase
    heating oil will also increase around €20 for 1000litres
    This won't effect buying from the north just local suppliers

And the Green Party not even in Government yet.

mgn wrote: »
    And the Green Party not even in Government yet.

They have an awful lot to answer for with their staggered taxes affecting the poorest and most vulnerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

They have an awful lot to answer for with their staggered taxes affecting the poorest and most vulnerable.

Its not going to effect Catherine Martin and her husband with 2 TDs wages of €192,000 plus expenses, but i suppose that's for another thread.

Ehhhh I bought my tonne way before anyone even knew there was a place in China named Wuhan :)

• Advertisement

No

If you want you can mention my complaint/report to Ronan over messanger way back

Only if u want to mate

Advertisement