Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,045 ✭✭✭bigroad

Bales of Bord na Mona briquettes were €2.50 at Tesco this morning
    That is less than half price.very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Mechatronical

Has anybody got this stuff before and know a place that stocks it?

Seems ideal for what I want (good heat and smokeless for open fire) but cant seem to find anywhere that stocks it.

Black diamond " smokeless super coal" from Bord na Mona but Im not sure if they are available anymore, we have Black Diamond "Smoky Coal" available in my area but very hard to get smokeless.

Screenshot 2020-05-05 at 16.07.16.png

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭teflon

Bales of Bord na Mona briquettes were €2.50 at Tesco this morning

Anyone know if this is in any dublin stores? Went to my local tesco and paid €5.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

Has anyone purchased the ovoids from coal warehouse lately? The last time I ordered was about 2 years ago and found the standard was dramatically lower than previous years. Last year I just purchased bags as needed from local coal merchants. Any insight appreciated

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

Has anyone purchased the ovoids from coal warehouse lately? The last time I ordered was about 2 years ago and found the standard was dramatically lower than previous years. Last year I just purchased bags as needed from local coal merchants. Any insight appreciated
    Read back through the thread. Numerous people - myself included- have gotten poor quality ovoids from them recently. CW have acknowledged that they had an issue but offered no resolution.

I have almost 2 tons of the stuff in my coalshed that doesn't burn very well and leaves the grate full of ash. I have been a longtime customer of CW but will not be purchasing again.

• Advertisement

podge3 wrote: »
    Read back through the thread. Numerous people - myself included- have gotten poor quality ovoids from them recently. CW have acknowledged that they had an issue but offered no resolution.

I have almost 2 tons of the stuff in my coalshed that doesn't burn very well and leaves the grate full of ash. I have been a longtime customer of CW but will not be purchasing again.

Thanks for that Podge. I had read a bit about that alright. Think I’ll leave them off so.

Anyone any other suggestions for decent ovoids in bulk at similar pricing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Thanks for that Podge. I had read a bit about that alright. Think I’ll leave them off so.

Anyone any other suggestions for decent ovoids in bulk at similar pricing?

Read the last few pages.. Amazing the stuff you can find:)

Read the last few pages.. Amazing the stuff you can find:)

Thanks for that. I’ve had a read back and seen Easyglow suggested. Most posts are over 2 months old so wanted to see if anyone had any other suggestions. I’m aware that most won’t be lighting the fire at this time of year

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Ordered half tonne of ovoids from Easyglow on Friday, dispatch email sent Friday evening. Rang them and asked for hours notice prior to delivery, same happened, delivered to 1ft from bunker Monday morning at 10.00, great service, highly recommended.
    They are 199€ Inc delivery for ovoids for glass stove, that's the smaller ones. It's 1 small bag short of the half tonne, ie 24 small 20kg bags, works out similar to others, but worth it for the highly functional delivery service alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 photovoodoo100

Looks like coal warehouse are going to lose a bit of business this year

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭mickuhaha

Going to order two pallets next week from coal warehouse. Anyone have any other places doing better deals before I go for polish coal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭Yester

I got the polish coal from coal warehouse a few years ago and it was pure ****e. Maybe it has improved since then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭enricoh

Yester wrote: »
    I got the polish coal from coal warehouse a few years ago and it was pure ****e. Maybe it has improved since then.

Same as that, I've often bought a bag of crap coal but 25 in one go - urrgh! I've still some I threw out the back of the shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Anyone know good deals on Columbian coal. Got some last year and was great stuff for my stove. Happy with it and looking to get a ton or two for winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Dec4

Anyone ordered ovoids from CW lately? Has the quality improved? My last order of ovoids from CW was December 2019 and quality was fine but many on here suggesting that they have gone downhill recently.
    Looking to order soon and would appreciate advice on what's best at the moment.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

Dec4 wrote: »
    Anyone ordered ovoids from CW lately? Has the quality improved? My last order of ovoids from CW was December 2019 and quality was fine but many on here suggesting that they have gone downhill recently.
    Looking to order soon and would appreciate advice on what's best at the moment.
    TIA

After using CW for a few years , I moved to easyglow for my last ton . Very good all round

transaction and the ovoids were first class .

rebeve wrote: »
    After using CW for a few years , I moved to easyglow for my last ton . Very good all round

transaction and the ovoids were first class .
    Many thanks for the advice.

I had an open fire and always used large ovoids but have just installed an inset stove and the Easyglow website suggests that smaller ovoids are better for stoves. Looks like the only question now is large or small ovoids?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭moceri

I ordered a Tonne of Ovoids from CW September 2019. The quality was shockingly bad. Stones found in the grate when emptying ash. A Lot of Dross, Dust and Stones in the Mix.
    https://imgur.com/a/c3KzBUJ

• Registered Users Posts: 41 WindWarrior

Dec4 wrote: »
    Many thanks for the advice.

I had an open fire and always used large ovoids but have just installed an inset stove and the Easyglow website suggests that smaller ovoids are better for stoves. Looks like the only question now is large or small ovoids?

I have an inset stove and bought a half ton each of the large and small oviods from easyglow last December. I preferred the large oviod as thought it produced more heat.

I have an inset stove and bought a half ton each of the large and small oviods from easyglow last December. I preferred the large oviod as thought it produced more heat.
    According to Eastglow they recommend the smaller ones on basis that they bed together better and therefore don't burn down as quickly, perhaps they produce slightly less heat but burn longer?
    Like you I went for a split pallet so I'll report back when the cold weather sets in...:)
    Incidentally the delivery charge with Easyglow is €48 so that brings a ton €372.
    Lart year CW were €290 ton + €80 to Wardes for delivery. Much of a muchness on price so...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,316 ✭✭✭naughto

Any updated prices from coal warehouse

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

Used coal warehouse last year for Ovoids for the Stove and they were fine. A lot of ash left the next morning. Two years before that I used Easyglow and they burnt well and not much ash. Going to order a tone from them I think next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I got assurances from coal warehouse that there were no reported issues of their current batch of ovoids, so I took a chance and ordered a tonne. I will report back when delivery is made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Madgiedoodles

Hi All.
    I ended up with the sh**e coal also two years ago.
    Very very poor quality. I ended up buying timber and other coal to burn CW Coal!!!
    Anyway the following Sept when ordering my coal (with CW) I told them what I'd experienced and that their coal ended up costing me more money to burn it.
    They were really apologetic, and said that what they had done with customers who had phoned up and complained immediately after getting the bad quality coal was they collected and took it away.
    They had a new supply of coal got and replaced it - all free of charge.
    I'd most of mine used so after haggling....
    The deal was, I got it half price with free delivery.
    So my advice is phone up, ask for Ronan and get haggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭podge3

Hi All.
    I ended up with the sh**e coal also two years ago.
    Very very poor quality. I ended up buying timber and other coal to burn CW Coal!!!
    So my advice is phone up, ask for Ronan and get haggling.
    Glad to hear you are getting sorted out.

Like you, I also got ****e coal from CW, two tonnes early this year. Most of it is still in the coal shed.

Obviously, the correct way for CW to deal with the issue is to contact all their customers who bought this ****e rather than wait for customers to contact them.

I was in contact with Ronan a few weeks after I took delivery. Other than a vague promise of a discount on the next order, no resolution was offered.

I won't be buying from Coal Warehouse again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭bigron2109

From Easyglow Facebook.

We're all starting to think about the colder days ahead. We offer you a discount to get ahead of the cold. Add EASYFACEBOOK to the discount box in the checkout and you will receive €20 off.

Please share this offer with your friends

Nice little saving as I am going to order this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

bigron2109 wrote: »
    From Easyglow Facebook.

We're all starting to think about the colder days ahead. We offer you a discount to get ahead of the cold. Add EASYFACEBOOK to the discount box in the checkout and you will receive €20 off.

Please share this offer with your friends

Nice little saving as I am going to order this week.

Nice - will order this week as well.

Advertisement