Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Nest Hello Doorbell Install

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,035 ✭✭✭OU812

Also have a ring & eagerly awaiting being able to change for a nest. Want the integration.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭micks_address

AddressPal have processed my nest hello so should have it in next ten days hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭vintagecosmos

AddressPal have processed my nest hello so should have it in next ten days hopefully

Do you know if any customs will need to be paid?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,620 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

ted1 wrote: »
    Honest question. Do people still use doorbells?

lol... WHAT !?

Any issues on voltage or wavebands with it?

• Advertisement

OU812 wrote: »
    Any issues on voltage or wavebands with it?

Voltage is 16v so will need new transformer.. Doorbell already has 8v one..

Do you know if any customs will need to be paid?

Not yet but am expecting some.. Others mentioned on addresspal thread they just expect customs to be paid on delivery

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Mad Benny wrote:
    Stoner, why are you switching Ring for a Nest hello?

Well I've the first ring doorbell.

When I call the live view it's slow to connect about 50 percent of the time.

Turns out I use the Camera more than I need it as a doorbell.

I popped a nest external camera beside it and I love it.

During the snow the bell push on the ring became jammed and it rang constantly.

I also just like this stuff and want to try the Google one.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

mrcheez wrote: »
    Honest question. Do people still use doorbells?

lol... WHAT !?
    It’s a serious question, prople in apartments have intercoms and many other people don’t get unannounced visitors. When our kids friends call over they just knock on the window. Same with our friends.
    Ring or hello simply doesn’t solve any problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Maybe it’s cause we have had babies in the house for the past 8.5 years

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Stoner wrote: »
    Turns out I use the Camera more than I need it as a doorbell.

I popped a nest external camera beside it and I love it.

Yes, I think devices like the Ring Floodlight Camera is more useful for most people then the doorbell cameras. I'm surprised there aren't more of them. They are an obvious security enhancement.

I'm also surprised no one has developed a simple cameraless doorbell to go with the floodlight style cameras. Doorbell press rings the bell and sends you a notification with footage from the floodlight camera.
    It’s a serious question, prople in apartments have intercoms and many other people don’t get unannounced visitors. When our kids friends call over they just knock on the window. Same with our friends.
    Ring or hello simply doesn’t solve any problem.

Yup, that is me, live in an apartment, no doorbell. It is why I've found these doorbell cameras very interesting and can see their use for some people, but haven't gotten one myself. No need.

This too :)

You can get a peephole camera now for solid wood doors. Looks exactly like a traditional peephole from the outside but is motion activated and records. They’re only about $30 for the camera and screen (4”)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Same... When our son was born I disconnected our bell, didn't miss it. Anyone calling would always text ahead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

You can get a peephole camera now for solid wood doors. Looks exactly like a traditional peephole from the outside but is motion activated and records. They’re only about $30 for the camera and screen (4”)

Yes, I saw one of those from Yale in Maplins. A neat idea. But I'm not really sure what it gives you over just looking through a traditional peephole. I suppose easier to view if you had bad eyesite, etc. I most investigate them further.

BTW I watched a youtube video where a guy reviewed the Nest Outdoor Camera versus the Ring Floodlight Camera.

Interestingly the Nest Outdoor camera had better picture quality at night in it's black and white mode, then the Ring Floodlight camera using it's floodlight.

However that brings up a bit of a philosophical question. While the Nest gives better picture quality, the floodlight of the Ring suddenly turning on at the detection of movement might scare a potential burglar away.

bk wrote: »
    Yes, I saw one of those from Yale in Maplins. A neat idea. But I'm not really sure what it gives you over just looking through a traditional peephole. I suppose easier to view if you had bad eyesite, etc. I most investigate them further.

BTW I watched a youtube video where a guy reviewed the Nest Outdoor Camera versus the Ring Floodlight Camera.

Interestingly the Nest Outdoor camera had better picture quality at night in it's black and white mode, then the Ring Floodlight camera using it's floodlight.

However that brings up a bit of a philosophical question. While the Nest gives better picture quality, the floodlight of the Ring suddenly turning on at the detection of movement might scare a potential burglar away.

Nest hello arrived in portlaoise might be delivered tomorrow.. Won't be home so expecting a note to collect from sorting office.. Curious to see customs bill

Keep us update with photos if possible. I'm very interested in switching to nest from ring.

Keep us update with photos if possible. I'm very interested in switching to nest from ring.

Will do.. Wasn't home when attempted delivery today so it's waiting in depot for collection Tues morning
    Probably late next week for installation hopefully

Will do.. Wasn't home when attempted delivery today so it's waiting in depot for collection Tues morning
    Probably late next week for installation hopefully

Hi folks,
    Picked up the attached Bell transformer today. It's 24v but not sure if it's 10va.. Is the 10va part important?

Hi folks,
    Picked up the attached Bell transformer today. It's 24v but not sure if it's 10va.. Is the 10va part important?

Attached

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Nothing there to Indicate current requirements.

I'm 99 percent you'll be fine 10 VA os10 voltage amps so using 24 volts is good

• Advertisement

Stoner wrote: »
    Nothing there to Indicate current requirements.

I'm 99 percent you'll be fine 10 VA os10 voltage amps so using 24 volts is good

I've googled and looks 3.8va?

http://elmarkholding.eu/en/DIN-Rail_Bell_Transformer/p352.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

Anyone know if its possible to integrate this thing with Sonos speakers?

Picked up from neighbours this evening.. No customs.. Confused but happy.. Unboxing tomorrow when missus is away

Anyone know if its possible to integrate this thing with Sonos speakers?

I doubt directly but I seen something over the weekend about Google home now streaming with any Bluetooth speakers?

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

Unboxing

What was the import duty on it Mick?

• Advertisement

What was the import duty on it Mick?

Nothing at all. I was surprised at this. Box on front had address pal label stating nest hello and value usd of 229. Postman left with neighbours.. I'm sure they would have said if money was asked of them

Advertisement