Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off Topic Thread 5.0

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

FACECUTTR wrote: »
    I picked up a bottle of Jameson that was aged in stout barrels in tesco at the weekend. Quite sweet but very nice. €25 if anyone is thinking of trying.

I have the same one, don't drink a huge amount of whiskey but do like the odd one and found it very nice.
    Laphroaig / Ardbeg / Highland Park / Redbreast / Woodford Reserve cheers.

You could save yourself some money on the Laphroaig and just eat an actual sod of turf :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,374 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Bazzo wrote: »
    I have the same one, don't drink a huge amount of whiskey but do like the odd one and found it very nice.

You could save yourself some money on the Laphroaig and just eat an actual sod of turf :pac:

Foolz always dissin my luv of the 'Phroaig.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Laphroaig is fantastic stuff. Though I would prefer a good Lagavulin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭swiwi_

Podge_irl wrote: »

Ardbeg uigeadail. Better than those 2 IMHO.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Connemara, please.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,970 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Laphroaig / Ardbeg / Highland Park / Redbreast / Woodford Reserve cheers.

If you like Woodford Reserve, try and get your hands on Buffalo Trace or Eagle Rare. A couple of lovely bourbons.

Lovely stuff. What do you all think of Dingle whiskey? Would probably be my go to Irish.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Lovely stuff. What do you all think of Dingle whiskey? Would probably be my go to Irish.
    Wrong. Connemara.

I bought recently a bottle of writes tears. It’s not too bad. Wanted to try the Irishman but not in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Paul Weller

Yeah_Right wrote: »

I get a few free bottles a year...imo..there are better whiskey's out there at the same price point.
    Maybe try a Method & Madness Hungarian Oak... or a Redbreast 12yo cask strength...if you can get your hands on a Portmagee 9yo, it's a little cheaper and a fantastic dram... again... just my opinion.... we all like different things :)

• Advertisement

Have to say, I am in general not much of a fan of cask strength whiskies. A drop of water to open them up helps but would generally just prefer a more aged one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I rarely drink whiskey, but when I do it's a drop of Midleton or JW blue label. Keep the Jameson in the press for when the father-in-law visits. He drinks whiskey like coke and mixes a sh1t load of water in it. Good stuff would be wasted on him...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭CMcsporty

Zzippy wrote: »
    I rarely drink whiskey, but when I do it's a drop of Midleton or JW blue label. Keep the Jameson in the press for when the father-in-law visits. He drinks whiskey like coke and mixes a sh1t load of water in it. Good stuff would be wasted on him...

Never tried this.
    Is it not very different to Midleton?
    Hand on heart i can say ive never tasted a scotch and said thats nice to drink

The closest thing you'll get to an Irish whiskey from Scotland is a nice Speyside like Aberlour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,911 ✭✭✭jacothelad

centuries of the finest inbreeding. makes you proud to be irish.

It happens in England too.......:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

The closest thing you'll get to an Irish whiskey from Scotland is a nice Speyside like Aberlour.

Glenfiddich is nice too.

I get a few free bottles a year...imo..there are better whiskey's out there at the same price point.
    Maybe try a Method & Madness Hungarian Oak... or a Redbreast 12yo cask strength...if you can get your hands on a Portmagee 9yo, it's a little cheaper and a fantastic dram... again... just my opinion.... we all like different things :)

I've heard good things about Method & Madness. Might pick up a bottle for the holidays. Redbreast (any age) tends to be very good. I'll keep an eye out for a Portmagee.

Going to have to re-mortgage to pay for all this whiskey...

Going to have to re-mortgage to pay for all this whiskey...

Just cancel your Leinster season tickets :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,016 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Fish.

That we (i.e., both UK and EU) will likely continue sourcing from farms in Norway anyway.

I just....

<sigh>

• Advertisement

CMcsporty wrote: »
    Never tried this.
    Is it not very different to Midleton?
    Hand on heart i can say ive never tasted a scotch and said thats nice to drink

It's very nice, yes different, but if I wanted something similar to Midleton I'd buy more Midleton ;)

It's very nice, yes different, but if I wanted something similar to Midleton I'd buy more Midleton ;)

I’m halfway through watching the Gone Fishing Christmas Special. Not as good as the Detectorists but not bad. It’s a bit like The Trip but the 2 guys are actually mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭OldRio

swiwi_ wrote: »
    I’m halfway through watching the Gone Fishing Christmas Special. Not as good as the Detectorists but not bad. It’s a bit like The Trip but the 2 guys are actually mates.

Its brilliant. I spent 30 years around that area. The ending is a joy.

OldRio wrote: »
    Its brilliant. I spent 30 years around that area. The ending is a joy.

Why do they always put the fish back into the water. Are they tree hugging fishermen??

Tis sport to some and only sport.

I live quite close to Aberlour. It is similar to Black Bush.

swiwi_ wrote: »
    Why do they always put the fish back into the water. Are they tree hugging fishermen??

Many fisheries mandate catch and return, especially wild fish rather than stocked ones.

OldRio wrote: »
    Tis sport to some and only sport.

I keep about 2 salmon a year, release everything else. There wouldn't be much sport left if we kept everything for the pot.

I keep about 2 salmon a year, release everything else. There wouldn't be much sport left if we kept everything for the pot.

This.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭FACECUTTR

Would you catch many more than that ?

Advertisement