Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film forum off topic/random chat thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I was vaguely aware this was a Thing That Happened but before my time: I hadn't realised the immediate reaction to it at the ceremony was so vicious; seems darkly appropriate the two totems of the now-discredited Hollywood Wild West fantasy, John Wayne and Clint Eastwood, had such antagonistic responses. Especially Wayne: physically restrained? Jesus Christ. Sounds like a long overdue response by the Academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Interested to see that she herself uses the term Indian, maybe it's a generational thing but I was under the impression that Native American was the preferred term. By the by anyway, she should never have received such abuse and it should not have taken fifty years but we live in a time when people will boo footballers taking a knee for 3 seconds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Oddly, it's the official term: the department in the US government is The Bureau of Indian Affairs. The peerless CGP Grey did a very good video on this subject: he visited some Reservations and found "Indian" was something of a surprisingly common, reclaimed term ... ... but then also isn't, depending on who you talked to - among the hundreds of tribes across the US (more than there are countries in the world). Reads like "Indian" just became a convenience more than anything else, in the face of finding a more acceptable term.

I know surprisingly little about John Wayne The Man, but if that was his reaction to a woman quietly going "I think we should be less shít towards my people in film", I presume he was a gigantic ásshole (who once played Genghis Khan)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Yep, when I visited DC a few years back I went to the Smithsonian Native American museum, which is officially called the National Museum of the American Indian.

As an aside, if you ever do find yourself in DC check out the National Museum of African American History and Culture - one of the most extraordinary and compelling museum spaces I've ever been in, with a huge amount of fantastic cultural objects on display.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Indian was never really objectionable to most tribes, much the same as Eskimo wouldn't bat an eyelid for the Inuit. White America tends to be more antsy about these terms than the people they concern however.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,977 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

@pixelburp

I know surprisingly little about John Wayne The Man, but if that was his reaction to a woman quietly going "I think we should be less shít towards my people in film", I presume he was a gigantic ásshole

A massive one apparently. Quite the ignoramus according to a lot of folk. As was John Ford too.

However, both men earned the respect of others in their business for being consummate pros in their field.

If you've never seen old Dick Cavett interviews with Hollywood stars of yesteryear, they're well worth checking out.

Not surprising anymore. Seems quicker to just list the stars of yesteryear who weren't total shítbags.

Had meant to mention this as well: it's not just America who loves its remakes ... we've seen a remake of Forest Gump ... in India. A Bollywood star bought the rights back in 2018, being a big fan of the '94 American film. Naturally they changed a lot of aspects to match Indian history & culture - not sure how propagandist it is, which was a charge thrown at RRR.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,986 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Brando also has to take some blame. That was a dick move: Not rejecting the Oscar, or even in sending her, but in sending her to the lions so unprepared. An 8 page script? Did he seriously think they would allow that? And to send her in only mins beforehand. Fair play to her.

As for the American Museum in DC? Yeah, was there. It is fantastic. Years ago I went there, mainly to see the Air & Space museums but this was amazing too. Heartbreaking, but amazing.

As for that Forrest Gump remake, I'm sure it will be just as propagandist as Gump was but should be interesting. Forrest Gump left a bad taste in my mouth (Grow up 😀) but it LOOKED beautiful and so does this. RRR (Awesome BTW 😀) was crazy OTT fun and that includes the propoganda. (I did NOT recognise Alison Doody at all in it). I don't mind that too much. I mean, "Hero" was pure Chinese propaganda... But, Oh my God did it look beautiful, and that cast!!!

I'd guess it wont affect the cinemas on the ground in the near term

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

Anyone have any idea what film this is supposed to be, that a huge house is being built? Seems the locals aren't happy. Must be pricey enough, so guessing soemthing blockbuster adjacent...

• Registered Users Posts: 60,368 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Jaysus Hollywood building more homes here than the government 😂

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,163 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Russell Crowe is in Wicklow and Dublin filming The Pope’s Exorcist at the moment (film apparently does what it says on the tin) but no idea if the set is related to that.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ireland, even Hollywood movie sets have the Nimbys out in force.

Seems too big for a production that ostensibly modest. It looks like it could be the central location of something; your Hogwarts or whatnot.

Very curious.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Interesting to see that land is owned by yer man from Press Up, bought at auction last year for 500k more than the guide price.

That Crowe film is set in Spain/Italy, does the architecture look Spanish/Italian?

Netflix are apparently filming a Christmas film here next month too. An Irish Wish, maybe it's that?

Found this too. Possible, I guess, no idea what it is though.

Inception meets Euphoria?

Haha. Bold claim. Wonder what the novels are; I know Disney are making another go of Percy Jackson but that doesn't quite fit.

Seems like a very elaborate set for a "talking in rooms" drama The Pope's Exorcist sounds like. I'm fascinated. It's such a huge pile to build.

Maybe the owner of Press Up fancies himself a bit of a Michael Flatley and is making his own independent film with his gentrification fortune 👀

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

The YA novels sounds like it could be this, but IMDb has it listed as being in Post Production.

Oh dear god. And I'm sure such a tricky subject would be deftly, sensitively handled by whoever was directi... ... Oh. It's McG.

I like "Tally Youngblood" though. Tell me you're a YA novel without saying you're a YA novel.

• Advertisement

Just read there that they are remaking Thomas Crown Affair again this time with Michael B. Jordan as Thomas Crown.

Owen Teague is to be the lead in the new Planet of the Apes series of films.

Wes Ball (The Maze Runner trilogy) has signed on to direct.

Jaysus, the last one was only 5 years ago. Disney really are hitting the gas on gouging those IPs.

how the demise of DVD changed the film industry

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

At the risk of being judged, I'm currently watching The Mummy (Tom Cruise one). But I was just thinking, how many films have been cancelled due to being a part of planned universes that didn't do well?

I know there have planned adaptations cancelled after 1 or 2 films, like the Golden Compass. But for movie universes, is the Dark Universe the only one?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Every now and then I look up Sarah Polley to see how and what she's doing. I had not heard this about Gilliam's antics/sets before. Christ.

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2022/jun/12/sarah-polley-terry-gilliam-run-towards-danger-baron-munchausen-interview

Most cinemas around the country are offering €4 tickets across the board this coming Saturday, for anyone who fancies a cheaper day out than usual.

Here's the list of cinemas listed at the moment: Arc Cinemas; Carrick Cineplex; Cineworld; Eclipse Cinemas; Eye Cinema; Gate Cinemas; IMC Cinemas; Light House Cinema; Movies@ Cinemas; Odeon Cinemas; Omniplex Cinemas; Pálás Cinema; Reel Cinemas; Vue Cinemas.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,378 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

The long-awaited sequel to the classic comedy franchise is a go as sources tell Deadline that Taylour Paige and Joseph Gordon-Levitt have joined series star Eddie Murphy in Netflix’s newly titled Beverly Hills Cop: Axel FoleyProduction on the sequel is under way with Mark Molloy directing. Murphy is back as Axel Foley and will produce along with Jerry Bruckheimer and Chad Oman of Jerry Bruckheimer films. Will Beall penned the script.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,857 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Was just checking to see if the pilot for the tv series ever leaked. Didn't realise it was made in 2013. Thought it was more recent.

Can't see it after a quick search anyway.

• Advertisement

Liam Neeson’s 100th film, Neil Jordan’s Marlowe will get its cinema release in December.

Advertisement