Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

09-08-2018, 14:10   #46
site_owner

i thought this forum advocated queueing on the left in single file
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 14:11   #47
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
Originally Posted by $hifty View Post
...There is another one at the junction of Marlborough St and Cathal Brugha .....
They are at most junctions.
09-08-2018, 14:12   #48
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07Lapierre View Post
Just curious...If you were caught rideing a bike on the pavement... would you pay the fine or contest it?
This is slightly different from being fined for breaking a red, now I think about it. It's not a FPN offence (because of the blind-eye treatment of minors cycling on footpaths), so I'd have to go to court rather than get a fine in the post.

EDIT: Now I think about it again, I'd probably get a fixed-charge notice for "driving a pedal cycle without reasonable consideration."

Last edited by tomasrojo; 09-08-2018 at 14:28.
09-08-2018, 14:15   #49
Chips Lovell
Waging war on tan sidewalls

The thing about ignoring the law and instead adopting your own interpretation of what's "dangerous" and what's "safe", is that it's entirely subjective.

Pretty much everyone who breaks road traffic law does so because they think its safe to do so. Nobody intentionally does something they think is dangerous.
09-08-2018, 14:15   #50
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3PO View Post
There's one at the junction of Stonebridge Road and Dublin Road and Shankill that's very close to the white "stop" line. It's a regular occurrence that cars don't pull up to the line and the traffic can sit there until somebody local gets out of their car and walks down the line of traffic to tell the 1st car to pull up a bit!! No idea whether a bike will trigger it .... refer to my post above!!
I've been like Marcel Marceau on my bike at the head of the queue of traffic, trying to find some kind of arm gestures that says: "Please come closer; I can't trigger the induction coil to change the lights"
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 14:18   #51
tomasrojo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron de Charlus View Post
The thing about ignoring the law and instead adopting your own interpretation of what's "dangerous" and what's "safe", is that it's entirely subjective.
Oddly enough, the pedestrian entrance to my estate splits in two directions. In the direction I go, it's got great sight lines, it leads quickly to a quiet road, but it doesn't have any bicycle signage.

In the other direction, it has bike signage, and it leads straight to a blind bend, shared with pedestrians, and bikes coming the other way.

In my direction, cycling is definitely safer, and illegal; in the other direction, it's definitely got a much higher likelihood of collision, including with elderly pedestrians who are heading to the Luas, and it's legal.

I think the path that goes my way is a later addition, where they've paved over a pedestrian desire line worn in the grass. In that case, it probably never occurred to them they could join up my estate with the cycle lane at the bottom of the hill.

Last edited by tomasrojo; 09-08-2018 at 14:42.
09-08-2018, 14:18   #52
magicbastarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by site_owner View Post
i thought this forum advocated queueing on the left in single file
This forum is not a hive mind though.
(2) thanks from:
09-08-2018, 14:31   #53
Wishbone Ash

Quote:
The thing about ignoring the law and instead adopting your own interpretation of what's "dangerous" and what's "safe", is that it's entirely subjective.....
Yup - many lads used to think they were perfectly safe driving home after 6 or 7 pints of porter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomasrojo View Post
I've been like Marcel Marceau on my bike at the head of the queue of traffic, trying to find some kind of arm gestures that says: "Please come closer; I can't trigger the induction coil to change the lights"
I do the same at the lights on my street and talk to the motorists if I can. The amount that are not aware of induction loops is staggering.
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 14:52   #54
doozerie

Quote:
It's a regular occurrence that cars don't pull up to the line and the traffic can sit there until somebody local gets out of their car and walks down the line of traffic to tell the 1st car to pull up a bit!!
At the Yellow House junction I mentioned earlier I've been at the head of the queue in the right-turning lane in the past. Some seemingly considerate drivers would stay well back from my bike but were stopped short of the sensor as a result.

In my early "surely no bastard would install a sensor that can't triggered by a bicycle, for fcuk sake!" naivety days, I'd do a curious dance of rolling my bike back and forth over the sensor trying to find "the spot". Much like a drunk fella searching for a clitoris, I imagine.

When that failed I'd roll the bike into the yellow box in the middle of the junction (while the light was green for oncoming traffic and traffic going straight on), and turn around to motion to the motorist at the head of the queue to roll forward into the sensor. Their facial expression would generally change from amusement, to impatience, to annoyance ("Don't you tell me what to do, etc."), probably much like the facial expressions of the female partner of that drunk fella.

The lights would change to red, and I'd be left stranded there in the middle of the junction, smack in the path of the cars queued on the road to my right who now have a green light. More annoyance, and I'd have to break the red light to make my right turn and get out of their way, cue some "fcuking cyclists, breaking red lights!" reactions (reasonably enough, in fairness).
(2) thanks from:
Advertisement
09-08-2018, 14:53   #55
C3PO

Quote:

Pretty much everyone who breaks road traffic law does so because they think its safe to do so. Nobody intentionally does something they think is dangerous.
But in my opinion there are many occasions where breaking a red light is no more "dangerous" and very often a lot safer than turning right at a Stop sign or cycling through a crossroads on a rural road! The fact that the light is red does not make the manoeuvre inherently dangerous!
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 15:02   #56
Kav0777

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicbastarder View Post
This forum is not a hive mind though.
"We are all individuals..."

"I'm not"
Thanks from:
09-08-2018, 15:07   #57
tomasrojo

These threads definitely need some kind of reference to philosophy and law. I remember an episode of The Philosopher's Arms on BBC Radio 4 that dealt with whether we should always obey the law, but I can't remember much about it now. Not sure half an hour of a light-hearted radio show is a sufficient introduction to the subject.

Now I think about it, there were two other laws I didn't bother with, and unlike the footpath cycling law, it wasn't just very occasional that I disregarded the laws: the bicycle bell law, and the mandatory cycle track one. In the latter case, I very much was making up my own mind that not only was it safe for me to use the road instead, that it was at least as safe or safer than using the cycle track.
09-08-2018, 15:58   #58
buffalo

Quote:
But in my opinion there are many occasions where breaking a red light is no more "dangerous" and very often a lot safer than turning right at a Stop sign or cycling through a crossroads on a rural road! The fact that the light is red does not make the manoeuvre inherently dangerous!
Aye, but everyone draws the line slightly differently. Some politicians would have you believe that you're a better driver after a couple of pints. All those people who park on double-yellows or along continuous white lines because they'll only be there for five minutes, sure what's the danger? I've had people swear blind that they can use their phone safely while driving, sure who I am to judge?

We picked a set of rules to keep everyone safe and the roads system working for all. Lobby for changes all you want, but in the meantime follow the rules. Being inconvenienced does not allow for exceptions, though I'd argue being in danger does.
09-08-2018, 16:03   #59
Chips Lovell
Waging war on tan sidewalls

Quote:
But in my opinion...
That's exactly my point. Everyone has an opinion, and despite the fact that not two opinions are exactly the same, everyone sure that their opinion is the right one.
09-08-2018, 16:03   #60
Lambay island

Quote:
Originally Posted by doozerie View Post
They are usually only visible as a patched rectangle on the road at a junction. They aren't triggered by weight though, they detect metal. On a bike you sometimes have to pass over a specific part of them to trigger them, and even then there are some that a bike doesn't trigger at all.

There are several on my commute that only trigger if you roll over a very narrow/specific part of them, and a couple that don't seem to ever trigger when I am on the bike (but trigger every time when I am driving). The right (southbound) turn at Yellow House pub in Rathfarnham is one of the latter.

yes this was one I was actually referring to and there are two more further off that willbrook road towards(one from whitechurch road). I never realised it was a specific spot you had to go over, I did notice it occasionally does go green for me but I had put it down to a big breakfast and not having the morning toilet visit yet . Everyday is a school day

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion