Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Crap - I thought my Panny D25L was future proofed. First no MHEG5, now no DVD-T2.frown.gif.

Ireland use DVB-T not DVB-T2. You will be fine.

You are well within your rights to ask Panasonic for a firmware update for Irish spec. This will turn on MHEG5.

Is there an option for UK in Country set up (you restore the TV to shipping mode). MHEG5 will be present if you can do this.

Irelands spec was published some time ago. Lets pester Panasonic to offer the firmware for Irelands spec on European models (L and E's)! They have no UKDbook to hide behind here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hi, can anyone tell me if theres any way for this tv to pick up digital tv and what I would need for that? If it cant then do any of the cheap argos tvs do it? Stuck typing on a phone since my laptop died, sorry.

www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5295449/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419512%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419667%7CLCD%2BTVs%7C19878730.htm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Probably not.

Wait and Argos, Tesco, Dunnes etc will have TVs with Saorview stickers. Take out the guess work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

STB wrote: »
    Ireland use DVB-T not DVB-T2. You will be fine.

You are well within your rights to ask Panasonic for a firmware update for Irish spec. This will turn on MHEG5.

Is there an option for UK in Country set up (you restore the TV to shipping mode). MHEG5 will be present if you can do this.

Irelands spec was published some time ago. Lets pester Panasonic to offer the firmware for Irelands spec on European models (L and E's)! They have no UKDbook to hide behind here.

Tried the go to "Shipping Condition" option before to get full D-Sat EPG & MHEG5 (rather than now & next EPG) but UK is not listed as one of the country options in the settings menu for the D25L.
    This is a response I got from Panasonic customer care on 11/08/2010 re MHEG5.

In response, unfortunately the televisions are going to be unable to receive this broadcast and there are no planned firmware updates at present. The decision by the broadcaster to change the transmission signal has been taken long after the televisions were designed and produced. However, I will pass your feedback to our product development team for their information.

We trust that the above information will be of assistance to you. However, of course, if you should have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 0844 844 3852 or email us using the following email address:
    customer.care@panasonic.co.uk

Where can I get the finalised specs for DTT software requirements?

First off -

Q1 exact model no. TX-L- D25
    Q2 when and where did you buy it

Is it this one ? Forget the size.

http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/panasonic-tx-l42d25-tx-l42d25b-20100430437.htm

If it is Panasonic will not be able to fob you off on this (NOTHING WAS CHANGED - it has been the public domain since early 2008). This LED was only released on the market this year. Infact anything after the published date above is a problem for Panasonic not you. I will go off and get the EN Directive on this about offering updates.
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    The min spec was first published in Feb 2008

MINIMUM RECEIVER REQUIREMENTS FOR DTT IN IRELAND V1.0 (6 FEBRUARY 2008)

Specifically says:

4.1 Middleware

Support for Data Broadcast Services is a highly recommended feature of the Receiver. If the Receiver supports middleware, the ability to receive and output Data Broadcast Services presented in accordance with the "MHEG-5 UK Profile, version 1.06[17]" is a minimum requirement.

Source: http://www.digitaltelevision.ie/NR/rdonlyres/BFED0C82-501B-42E0-8F38-0789EA604497/0/MinimumReceiverRequirementsforDTTinIrelandv10.pdf

The RTE NL amended Spec was published in December 2008.

That also specified MHEG5. IRDs shall include MHEG-5 API UK profile version 1.06 with support of HDTV video as specified in
    DTG D-Book specification.

When using ‘IRD’ (Integrated Receiver Decoder) it refers to all types of receivers. The IRDs can be
    divided into the following main implementation categories:

* A STB (Set Top Box) is an IRD which is a separate unit (external) from the TV Set (Display)
    * An iDTV (integrated Digital Television Set) is an IRD which is a integrated into the TV Set/Display

Source: http://www.rtenl.ie/downloads/RTE-FTA-DTT-Receiver-Spec.pdf

Thanks STB.
    The model is Panasonic TX-L42D25L
    Purchased for Soundstore 04/06/2010
    Who published those minimum receiver requirements?
    I have an email ready to go to Panasonic with the relevant link.

Okay you have these bang to rights. Released this year and doesnt have MHEG5 in the Irish country profile. IDIOTS. Its a European model.

Panasonic have to offer you the update that will turn on MHEG5 in your TV. The TV shouldnt have a DVB logo if they cant offer that. Also you will have a CAM slot on that TV - its mandatory especially for these type scenarios. They should send you out an update on a CAM that you insert into the side of the TV.

Also either way you have a 2 year warranty under EU law.

The first published spec is the Department of Communications in Ireland. The second link is RTE NL the network operator.

Let us know how you get on. You might also mention that DTT has been on continuously since August 2008 but will only be launched in October so there will be a lot of people returning their so called COMPLIANT Integrated Digital TVs.

It is in manufacturers interest to keep abreast of country broadcasting standards. They should not be depending on irate customers.

Thanks again STB. Email sent to Panasonic, hope it gets some results. As you've said, all recent Panasonic customers who don't have MHEG5 middleware set up should pester these guys. Just wondering, is it just D25 models or all Panasonics sold in Ireland that don't have MHEG5? Although my understanding from other posters is that a lot of them have the UK option in set up. I figure why they don't have MHEG5 on the D25L is down to freesat availability outside the UK & the inbuilt DVB-S tuner on the D25. (Am I making sense here?)

Thanks again STB. Email sent to Panasonic, hope it gets some results. As you've said, all recent Panasonic customers who don't have MHEG5 middleware set up should pester these guys. Just wondering, is it just D25 models or all Panasonics sold in Ireland that don't have MHEG5? Although my understanding from other posters is that a lot of them have the UK option in set up. I figure why they don't have MHEG5 on the D25L is down to freesat availability outside the UK & the inbuilt DVB-S tuner on the D25. (Am I making sense here?)

The "B" model is the UK model (D25B). They have the Freesat 7 day EPG and MHEG5 for Freeview. There have been serious problems with ALL Panasonic Freesat Combo's TVs use in ireland due to guess what..... incomplete firmware.

Freeview is MPEG2. HD Freesat is MPEG4. They both use a common MPEG4 processor which processes the decoding on both tuners. Unfortunately they chose to turn off this option on the Freeview part so it only tunes in MPEG2 instead of MPEG4 and MPEG2. The people who have bought these products have been told that the products are for UK market.

You bought a European model....... lets see what happens next. You will need to elevate this complaint.

• Advertisement

UK is in Europe. Though you'd wonder.

Nor is UK the only place to use MHEG5

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

This is very interesting. I am thinking of buying a Panasonic TV with Freesat HD and Freeview HD, but am holding off because I do not trust it to work correctly. I will be following this saga with great interest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,283 ✭✭✭Deedsie

According to RTÉs Ray maguire; walker technology products ltd is the only company which currently has a range of saorview approved range of television sets?

I emailed RTÉ to fond out when a list of saorview compatible TVs would be published.

I'd say that Walker are only company to break pre-launch silence. AFAIK a list is not yet meant to be published.

There is plenty of time as the Info campaign hasn't started yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 393 ✭✭Tom Slick

There's 104 tvs there. Could you be a bit more specific?

• Advertisement

As cheap as possible, its for a bedroom/xbox so I want to spend as little as possible, what am I looking for exactly?

You would hardly get a cheaper better quality one outside Argos. Would you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭surf board

Don't think this is compatible as its mpeg2. Says Freeview, not Freeview HD or Mpeg 4. I am open to correction.

Thanks STB, what exactly tells you in the description that that will be compatible with Irish digital tv though? Any chance of some more options please? Im stuck on a nokia 5800 since my laptop went in for repairs, really appreciate the help.

• Advertisement

Thargor wrote: »
    Thanks STB, what exactly tells you in the description that that will be compatible with Irish digital tv though? Any chance of some more options please? Im stuck on a nokia 5800 since my laptop went in for repairs, really appreciate the help.

Apologies, says here, http://www.itbankeurope.com/19ld350_/ that it has an MPEG4 dvb-t tuner so its fine for Irish Dtt.

Look out for DVB-T MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) or better still hold off as long as you can for certified Saorview products.

Cool thanks, dont suppose theres any 22 inches there with the same is there? Sorry for being a pain in the ass.

Have a look at these. More variety, better prices & quick delivery. If a new tv is urgent, maybe keep an eye out for the above specs.http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/59/xx/0-300/8/3/criteresn_BA00002718-BV00171818.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

surf board wrote: »
    Apologies, says here, http://www.itbankeurope.com/19ld350_/ that it has an MPEG4 dvb-t tuner so its fine for Irish Dtt.

Look out for DVB-T MPEG-4 AVC (H.264) or better still hold off as long as you can for certified Saorview products.

It likely is OK, but it must be MPEG-4 High Profile Level 4.0 (or higher) to receive HDTV*

Small size TV sets may not need an HD display, but if - as I believe this is the RTÉ plan - there will not be SD simulcast, then you will be without a signal and unable to watch anything.

Lars :)

*Last week a MPEG-4 STB without HP @L 4.0 was in my local Aldi supermarket.

reslfj wrote: »
    It likely is OK, but it must be MPEG-4 High Profile Level 4.0 (or higher) to receive HDTV*

Small size TV sets may not need an HD display, but if - as I believe this is the RTÉ plan - there will not be SD simulcast, then you will be without a signal and unable to watch anything.

*Last week a MPEG-4 STB without HP @L 4.0 was in my local Aldi supermarket.

Ah yes. The also important HP @L 4.0!

Some specs say "TNT HD" which would probably be ok also.Have a Samsung 37" b450 & 40" b650 & both are fine for DTT. Both said TNT HD in their spec.

How many people went and bought the set in Aldi & thought it would be ok?

As Watty et al, continue to stress, maybe hold off for Saorview certified tv's & stb's.

Nothing. i am familar with what models do and dont work. THe specs are always wrong on UK websites. Few people use the bigger ones in the LD350 range. You could get it cheaper on Richersounds proably.

MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1 is the profile level.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Hi Folks,

On a sticky thread titled " TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder ", I was funnily enuff hoping to find a list of TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder, or maybe individual postings on just that subject, and it did seem to start out that way when the thread started, but now especially the more recent postings there are 75 pages containing posts on many other topics , e.g. Aerials, STB's, Lip sync on DTT, setting up Freesat, European DVB standards ...................

I wish I had the time to filter out the postings that are on topic.

I need to get a new 37/40" TV now, and it seems like Samsung or Philips are pretty safe bets at this stage for MPEG4 DTT?

RSmike,

Yes it did get hijacked at various points I agree.

If I was to post a list it would be very long.

You are looking for a Tv that has "MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1" and "MHEG5"

Mheg5 is normally only seen in UK profile TVs but they use MPEG2 so its hit and miss.

So you ciould search for a "TNT HD" Tv and it would be fine - but it may not have MHEG5 which will be used for epg and teletext long term.

All manufacturers have MPEG4 Tvs you just have to google the models to get the spec. LG, Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony Phillips, (the H serious).

Nothing. i am familar with what models do and dont work. THe specs are always wrong on UK websites. Few people use the bigger ones in the LD350 range. You could get it cheaper on Richersounds proably.

Thanks mate, is there any chance this one will do the job?

www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/5296400/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7CHome%2Bentertainment%2Band%2Bsat%2Bnav%7C14419512/c_2/2%7Ccat_14419512%7CTelevisions%7C14419667/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419667%7CLCD%2BTVs%7C19878730.htm

RSmike,

Yes it did get hijacked at various points I agree.

If I was to post a list it would be very long.

You are looking for a Tv that has "MPEG4 AVC, HP@L4.1" and "MHEG5"

Mheg5 is normally only seen in UK profile TVs but they use MPEG2 so its hit and miss.

So you ciould search for a "TNT HD" Tv and it would be fine - but it may not have MHEG5 which will be used for epg and teletext long term.

All manufacturers have MPEG4 Tvs you just have to google the models to get the spec. LG, Sharp, Toshiba, Samsung, Sony Phillips, (the H serious).

But could we set up a new thread where people can put in the make model, price and specification of tv's they have bought and tested in Ireland. I am mad to get a new tv but I am concerned that if I do it won't work when Saorview is officially launched.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

Level 4.1 is OK, but the requirement is Level 4.0 only.

Level 4.2 is needed for FullHD 1080p50 - AFAIR - but support for this will require faster chips and with more memory. Ofcom/the UK Brodcasters did not believe such chips would be availabel by December 2009, when the DVB-T2 D-Book spec. was frozen in early 2009.

Anything with B at end is British model. Stay away. Not alone is it likely to be MPEG2 (not MPEG4) it is normally is UK Dbook if its not.

2 LGs below - a 19" and 22" less than €180 Make sure you see this logoTNTHD.jpeg

Note you will not get MHEG5 fancy epg/text on the TNT HD TVs but they will display the channel and audio.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/rf/tnt-hd/__?t=3_1

Deedsie wrote: »
    But could we set up a new thread where people can put in the make model, price and specification of tv's they have bought and tested in Ireland. I am mad to get a new tv but I am concerned that if I do it won't work when Saorview is officially launched.

I think at this stage that could be a bad idea.

watty wrote: »

Also looks like the list is limited at the moment of actual certified products. Outside Walker other brands may not come on stream until the end of the year/ next year at this stage.

Walker's TV range that has "apparently" been certified is on their homepage walker.ie in the brochure.

If you want a more established brand name, you will have to wait. You should at least wait until the end of October til we see how the existing brands are coping with RTE Nl's broadcasts via MHEG5 and service flags .

watty wrote: »

Not being smart, and definitely not trying to annoy the forum. Some great time saving info to be found here. But why would it be a bad idea?

It would stop everyone asking if this one will work they could just check the list for make model size etc?

reslfj wrote: »
    Level 4.1 is OK, but the requirement is Level 4.0 only.

Level 4.2 is needed for FullHD 1080p50 - AFAIR - but support for this will require faster chips and with more memory. Ofcom/the UK Brodcasters did not believe such chips would be availabel by December 2009, when the DVB-T2 D-Book spec. was frozen in early 2009.

.....4.1 is the profile level of that particular TV (the LG LD 350) that people were debating Lars!

RTE wont be broadcasting outside the spec 4.0 published and certainly not anything above 20m/bits. They are as low as 3.

Any media encoded above HP@L4 will limit the mkv movies etc that you can play on the USB port

If anyone wants to know the limitations of each level scroll down to levels on this link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC

Anything with B at end is British model. Stay away. Not alone is it likely to be MPEG2 (not MPEG4) it is normally is UK Dbook if its not.

2 LGs below - a 19" and 22" less than €180 Make sure you see this logoTNTHD.jpeg

Note you will not get MHEG5 fancy epg/text on the TNT HD TVs but they will display the channel and audio.
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/rf/tnt-hd/__?t=3_1
    Well that 22 inch LG looks excellent but no tv guide would be too big a drawback I think, thanks anyway mate, good to know what to look for anyway, its shocking that Argos and the rest are still flogging this stuff.

Well that 22 inch LG looks excellent but no tv guide would be too big a drawback I think, thanks anyway mate, good to know what to look for anyway, its shocking that Argos and the rest are still flogging this stuff.

RTE also broadcast DVB-SI/EIT data that will give you 7 day epg and old aertel text BUT we do not know how long RTE will persist with same in parallel to MHEG5.

Unfortunately whilst Ireland's DTT spec is out since the beginning of 2008 the manufacturers have been slow to bring the specs within Irelands Country profile on each IDTVs firmware. Its a simple fix for existing products sold by manufacturers but how they apply the fix to customers is the problem. They dont want customers killing their TVs with wrong firmware by offering it on websites (LG are one of few that actually do). Also certfied Saorview products are the only candidates that would be allowed over the air updates. OTA updates are costly anyhow. Realistically you want something that works out of the box with no restricted firmware.

Gotta wait for that.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

RTE also broadcast DVB-SI/EIT data that will give you 7 day epg and old aertel text BUT we do not know how long RTE will persist with same in parallel to MHEG5.

will channel selection be available using the tv guide in mheg5? i.e. at the moment on tv's using the provided DVB epg data you can select the channel using the guide, can that be done using an aertel type interface?

i guess the real question is can a tv populate it's own epg using mheg5 data or does it just remain an overlay like aertel is at the moment

• Advertisement

mossym wrote: »
    will channel selection be available using the tv guide in mheg5? i.e. at the moment on tv's using the provided DVB epg data you can select the channel using the guide, can that be done using an aertel type interface?

i guess the real question is can a tv populate it's own epg using mheg5 data or does it just remain an overlay like aertel is at the moment

Oh I get what you are asking. The data being generated by non MHEG5 TVs and their EPG program display is gathered from EIT. So once that is being broadcst, yeah no problem.

However, RTE will have their own EPG look like Freesat built on MHEG5 - as I understand it RTE have been testing its own EPG via MHEG5 alongside the EIT data being broadcast over the last few months.
    https://us.v-cdn.net/6034073/uploads/attachments/172953/116234.jpg

Aertel is the old VBI text.
    171.gif

That will be replaced also by an MHEG5 based digital text service.
    21kdylu.jpg

Use of MHEG5 gives universal control and feel. How long before the VBI text etc is dropped, we do no know.

I'd guess at Analogue switch off?
    At the moment they are generating it anyway for Analogue. And also sending XML to UPC and Sky for their Middlewares.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭championc

The "B" model is the UK model (D25B). They have the Freesat 7 day EPG and MHEG5 for Freeview. There have been serious problems with ALL Panasonic Freesat Combo's TVs use in ireland due to guess what..... incomplete firmware.

Freeview is MPEG2. HD Freesat is MPEG4. They both use a common MPEG4 processor which processes the decoding on both tuners. Unfortunately they chose to turn off this option on the Freeview part so it only tunes in MPEG2 instead of MPEG4 and MPEG2. The people who have bought these products have been told that the products are for UK market.

You bought a European model....... lets see what happens next. You will need to elevate this complaint.

Hey STB,

I see there is a Panny D25E - is the E supposed to be a Pan European Model and then maybe have UK, Ireland, Germany, Poland ..... on a menu for correct setup for that country ?

C

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Oh I get what you are asking. The data being generated by non MHEG5 TVs and their EPG program display is gathered from EIT. So once that is being broadcst, yeah no problem.

thanks for that. TV has MHEG5, but only when set to UK, and as it is a euro model i can't do that, but as long as the TV epg gets populated i don't see me needing it much....

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭rsmike

Thanks for earlier replies

Just seen the SONY KDL-37EX402 on pixmania for €565, seems to have the TNT HD symbol and MPEG4 is also mentioned.

Anyone got this TV, assume its OK to pick up the Irish DTT?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Use of MHEG5 gives universal control and feel. How long before the VBI text etc is dropped, we do no know.
    It's analogue technology, so once analogue is gone there will be little point maintaining it. Certainly this is the way it has gone across the water in the UK.

Teletext is also a severe limiting factor in development of digital text services in terms of platform consistency. Digital text is extremely powerful in what it can do and the amount of content it can carry but any development you do has to keep within the restraints of analogue teletext to maintain the same service across all platforms. Branching off the MHEG Aertel service to UPC and Sky (both OpenTV) to replace the VBI insertions could be done quite easily in the future.

• Advertisement

All XML file driven

I think teletext will be gone when Analogue closes in 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I notice that Power city have advertised the first saorview approved tv. It's a 26" TV for €299. The walker.ie site has some more info on it.

I don't know much about Walker. Are they just a rebranded TV? how would they compare to the likes of Samsung or LG etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Kensington wrote: »
    It's analogue technology, so once analogue is gone there will be little point maintaining it. Certainly this is the way it has gone across the water in the UK.

I think we'll see it around long after ASO for all those non-Saorview non-MHEG-5 receivers out there. If they were going to switch off traditional text at ASO why would bother including it in the spec at all. Channels other than RTÉ may not be so quick to launch MHEG-5 services.

Regarding the UK and traditional teletext, they may be one of a few European countries never to offer traditional teletext on DTT (can't think of any other). They are the only European country to use the D-Book standard.

The Scandinavians, Dutch, Germans, Italians, Spanish to name but a few, all continue to transmit teletext on DTT. The digital-only Dutch haven't even launched a digital text service yet. The Italians and Spanish like us mandate analogue text as part of their DTT standard. In Germany due to the popularity of traditional teletext a new German ZDF teenager-orientated channel launched earlier this year has recently launched a standard teletext service on the channel and the commercial channels plan to broadcast traditional text for the foreseeable future (ASO was completed in Germany in mid 2008).

Walker appears to be vestel (Turkey).
    Some Bush, Grundig and other well known brands of stuff is Vestel

Teletext ironically is well suited to digital, as it always was a digital stream and is very cheap to carry as it's a low bit rate. On Digital broadcast it's separate stream rather than modulated into the blank lines at top of picture. There even was a prototype teletext with photos and fancy fonts in late 1970s, but it was too slow so was never implemented outside of demos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,640 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

recyclebin wrote: »
    I don't know much about Walker. Are they just a rebranded TV?

This from back in 2006 - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054881027

• Advertisement
Advertisement