Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,220 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Around the place I see these drivers who put the L or N sticker on the outside, instead of the inside of the windscreen. Is it that difficult to do?

The funniest one I saw because of that was the sticker had completely faded, and there was nothing but a white square!

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

abff wrote: »
    Not sure I see your point. There are so many different religions out there with different gods, most of them claiming to be the 'one true faith'. Obviously, they can't all be right. It's far more likely that they're all wrong.

But if someone believes that there is some form of 'higher being', but can't figure out which particular religion is the correct one, why shouldn't they be spiritual without adhering to a particular religion?

By religious, I mean believing in a higher being.
    If you don't , how are you spiritual?

You know the type - I don't believe in god or religion but I'm a very spiritual person!
    Yeah. Aren't you great and mysterious!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,215 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Horrifically fat obese people.

I just don't get how you end up letting yourself get that fat.

Do you not get to the point where you're really fat and think 'Jesus, I really better do something about this'?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

For me, it's music. I couldn't tell you the last album I intentionally listened to, but it must be at least 5 to 10 years ago. Just giving it a go like. The last concert I was at was RHCP in 2003 (bought as a gift). I've listened to all sorts of things but just don't get it. I often have the radio on at home or in the car, but it's always talk stuff.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 16,759 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Do you not get to the point where you're really fat and think 'Jesus, I really better do something about this'?

The farther you go, the harder it is to come back.
    Sometimes the journey back is just too daunting to even begin.

Imagine exercising hard every single day and being really strict with food intake for six months and loosing say six stone.
    Impressive!
    Now imagine doing the above and still being six stone overweight.

Loosing weight is fcuking hard, I've seen enough people doing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭maxsmum

I don't get how they have to keep buying bigger size clothes and not stop earlier. How can you keep replacing your wardrobe? Financially even?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Acosta wrote: »
    And related to that, why the hell in the year 2019 do women still change their name after getting married? And again related to that, if they do change their name why can't they use ONE BLOODY NAME? Me at work: ''And whats your name? Oh let me see what name did I use for this??'' ARRRGHHHH!
    To be fair this happens in part because some organisations are still stuck in the 1980s and will have trouble understanding why a married couple have different surnames, or why, "What is your mother's maiden name" is a really stupid question.

There are also anecdotes, thousands of them, flying around women's chats about women who went through an airport with a different surname and their child was taken off them and sent to a forced labour camp, or who appeared in hospital with the wrong name on their health insurance and were dumped out onto the street, or who didn't use their husband's surname on the title deeds and got kicked out of the house when he died.*

All of this contributes to scenarios where women *want* to hold onto their birth surname, but fear or bureaucracy makes them use a different name in different contexts. My wife has 3 different surnames depending on what she's dealing with.

*Examples exaggerated for comedy purposes

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

maxsmum wrote: »
    I don't get how they have to keep buying bigger size clothes and not stop earlier. How can you keep replacing your wardrobe? Financially even?
    It happens really slowly. At around the same pace that you replace your clothes.

Denial helps a lot too. Manufacturers are making clothes smaller, but not as quickly as people think. Nevertheless, fat people can convince themselves that they're not getting bigger, clothes are getting smaller. They'll also deliberately pick clothes shops that stock the more generous interpretation of a size 16.

When one does have to go up a size, there's a brief period of depression, but then it becomes the new normal and they forget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

In response to
    The Nal

What? I've given all forms of music plenty of tries, used to pretend I was into whatever back when I was a teenager but I just don't feel anything. I couldn't (could?) care less if I never heard another song.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

What? I've given all forms of music plenty of tries, used to pretend I was into whatever back when I was a teenager but I just don't feel anything. I couldn't (could?) care less if I never heard another song.

LivelyUniqueKronosaurus-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭Winning_Stroke

I like LiveLine (only with Joe though). I get a good laugh the whole time from it. Would take that to a desert island with me over any album ever made.

• Subscribers Posts: 684 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

In response to
    The Nal

Do you think it's possible that you might have an auditory condition? There's a condition that inhibits people from separating frequency ranges properly (this happens in the cochlea in the inner ear), so music may just sound slightly distorted and dissonant, without you ever knowing any different.

It often happens in the elderly, which is why you'll get them saying - turn that noise down, because what they're actually hearing is noise.

Hard to explain what it sounds like, but a simple example is tuning a guitar using harmonics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_TNMDkt9o

Skip to about 2mins 10. You can hear the beating of the 2 notes. The 2 notes are so close that your brain can't distinguish them as individual notes, so you just hear a beating effect. This is normal, but with the auditory condition (can't remember what it's called), this effect would also happen with frequencies further apart, as you can't distinguish them properly, so music becomes distorted. A lot of people with the condition, never ever know about it, doesn't really effect day to day life, except that it's impossible to like music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

abff wrote: »
    Not sure I see your point. There are so many different religions out there with different gods, most of them claiming to be the 'one true faith'. Obviously, they can't all be right. It's far more likely that they're all wrong.

But if someone believes that there is some form of 'higher being', but can't figure out which particular religion is the correct one, why shouldn't they be spiritual without adhering to a particular religion?
    Irreligious spirituality is generally new age nonsense.

Most religions have centuries of culture and contemplation associated with them. Adherents are usually born into them and their belief identifies them as part of a particular community. As an atheist I view religiosity as often a form of exaggerated loyalty to a cultural group.

None of this is true with New Age spirituality, which is mumbo jumbo recently created to sell junk and manipulate people. Often the reason for belief is that the believer wants to perceive themselves as having some special knowledge or even special power that places them above their community rather than as part of it.

So I have a lot less scorn for religious people than irreligious spiritualists.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Irreligious spirituality is generally new age nonsense.

Most religions have centuries of culture and contemplation associated with them. Adherents are usually born into them and their belief identifies them as part of a particular community. As an atheist I view religiosity as often a form of exaggerated loyalty to a cultural group.

None of this is true with New Age spirituality, which is mumbo jumbo recently created to sell junk and manipulate people. Often the season for belief is that the believer wants to perceive themselves as having some special knowledge or even special power that places them above their community rather than as part of it.

So I have a lot less scorn for religious people than irreligious spiritualists.

You do not need to be religious to be spiritual and you do not need to be spiritual to be religious. Religion does not have exclusive jurisdiction over all matters spiritual.

Open your mind man.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

zippy84 wrote: »
    Do you think it's possible that you might have an auditory condition? There's a condition that inhibits people from separating frequency ranges properly (this happens in the cochlea in the inner ear), so music may just sound slightly distorted and dissonant, without you ever knowing any different.

It often happens in the elderly, which is why you'll get them saying - turn that noise down, because what they're actually hearing is noise.

Hard to explain what it sounds like, but a simple example is tuning a guitar using harmonics: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1_TNMDkt9o

Skip to about 2mins 10. You can hear the beating of the 2 notes. The 2 notes are so close that your brain can't distinguish them as individual notes, so you just hear a beating effect. This is normal, but with the auditory condition (can't remember what it's called), this effect would also happen with frequencies further apart, as you can't distinguish them properly, so music becomes distorted. A lot of people with the condition, never ever know about it, doesn't really effect day to day life, except that it's impossible to like music.

Nah. He just has no soul- dead inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭BIGT4464

Paw Patrol, I mean how do they fund their operation? Must be a huge tax rate in Adventure Bay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

BIGT4464 wrote: »
    Paw Patrol, I mean how do they fund their operation? Must be a huge tax rate in Adventure Bay
    Alex owns a huge toy company. He secretly replaced all adults in the area with the mentally handicapped to provide an ongoing source of family friendly rescue adventures.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

People using their children as their WhatsApp profile picture WTF

• Registered Users Posts: 6,040 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

TKMaxx I've been in it several times to me it either goods that other shops don't sell or goods that may have a fault.
    I've seen clothes there that were in other shops and then their sales and they clearly didn't sell and the price was nothing special.
    The odd time I saw something okay their there was a fault with it such as a zip or stitching.
    I'm generally told you need time and patience and I've given it both of them and I still don't see the fuss.
    They have about 500 items of clothing squashed into the one rack. Fook that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I dont get how my wife can continuously watch Friends. Its must be on Comedy Central 20 hours a day. She must have seen every episode 40 or 50 times at this stage.

• Advertisement

There was a lad breakdancing and five dudes playing drums to 'Dance of the sugarplum fairy' on the today show just now..

It was profane..

What in the f*ck like..

The world did not need that..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,926 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Music for vinyl has to be mastered differently with more dynamic range than for CDs etc. For CD mastering, everything can be loud and it doesn't matter to the laser, but with vinyl if everything is loud then the needle will slip out of the groove. People claim that vinyl sounds better mostly because of this.

Alternatively, vinyl is more analogue and has a warmer sound. Not necessarily more accurate just warmer.

That being said, I'm not on the vinyl bandwagon, just a little on the audiophile/high res one. With slightly higher end equipment (no need to spend thousands), you can hear the difference in my opinion, especially verses low quality streams/MP3s and cheap headphones.

I've received an education

*tips hat*

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

is_that_so wrote: »
    That's just lazy feckers like moi not bothering to get up in time to have brekkie!

Ah Brekkie most important. Must rise early fo cornflake.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,899 ✭✭✭circadian

Alex owns a huge toy company. He secretly replaced all adults in the area with the mentally handicapped to provide an ongoing source of family friendly rescue adventures.

Nah, I've been subjected to enough Paw Patrol to know they're running drugs at night. The lads and the two cousins do the runs in boats while Skye keeps an eye out for the coastguard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,644 ✭✭✭storker

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I dont get how my wife can continuously watch Friends. Its must be on Comedy Central 20 hours a day. She must have seen every episode 40 or 50 times at this stage.

If Friends was even half as funny as it thought it was, it would have been brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

- How many people are incapable to empathise.
    - Parading your children all over various social media accounts. People are so oblivious about various issues this can bring.
    - Pre-NCT.
    - How people fall for the PhoneWatch money racket.
    - Buying tons and tons of ill-fitting fast fashion crap and thinking you've made a great saving there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭pimpmyhat

Photos of people with bunny ears and dog noses. Just can't deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 828 ✭✭✭tototoe

The obsession Irish people have with English soccerball...will never ever understand it.

And they wonder why the league of Ireland is a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭Acosta

Why there's a shooting forum on here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

tototoe wrote: »
    The obsession Irish people have with English soccerball...will never ever understand it.

And they wonder why the league of Ireland is a joke.

Emmmmm Celtic play in Scotland!

Advertisement