Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

RTE requires women to retire at 60, hence why Mary Kennedy is signing off from Nationwide, despite the fact that she clearly wants to keep going and is very good at her job.
    In that case, why hasn't Eileen Dunne from RTE news left her job? She is over 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,091 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

RTE requires women to retire at 60, hence why Mary Kennedy is signing off from Nationwide, despite the fact that she clearly wants to keep going and is very good at her job.
    In that case, why hasn't Eileen Dunne from RTE news left her job? She is over 60.
    Mary Kennedy is 65 .

• Registered Users Posts: 30,272 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What's even more annoying is Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh is replacing her!

What's even more annoying is Bláthnaid Ní Chofaigh is replacing her!

AH I didn't know she was 65. Still though, she is great at her job, they should let her stay on.

I know, BLathnaid is very unpopular if you are to believe what people say about her- Dara O Brien HATED working with her on Echo Island and that other woman on the afternoon show with her lodged a complaint of bullying against her a few years back. Id say shes a total See you Next Tuesday with a capital C.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    Mary Kennedy is 65 .

In fairness she looks very well for her age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I like music but I never understood all the fuss over concerts/festivals, especially the ones where you camp outside in a mucky field.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

AH I didn't know she was 65. Still though, she is great at her job, they should let her stay on.

I know, BLathnaid is very unpopular if you are to believe what people say about her- Dara O Brien HATED working with her on Echo Island and that other woman on the afternoon show with her lodged a complaint of bullying against her a few years back. Id say shes a total See you Next Tuesday with a capital C.

Indeed she is, I've had the misfortune of some personal interaction with her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't get the adult fascination with Disneyworld/land parks. Children, yes, absolutely, but why anyone over the age of about 12 would get all excited at the thoughts of going there, I don't get.

Indeed she is, I've had the misfortune of some personal interaction with her.

Was it bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭iHungry

I don't get why Brennan's sliced pans aren't sliced evenly by the machine, the batch loaf is particularly noticeable. Every second slice is a thinner one. It's been like this for years 🤔🤔

• Advertisement

I don't get why so much live music is amplified to the point of distortion, I've often feel lowering the sound a bit would much improve the the listening quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

I know what this pub needs, music so loud people struggle to hear each other speak - every bar manager

Dont get it

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

spurious wrote: »
    I don't get the adult fascination with Disneyworld/land parks. Children, yes, absolutely, but why anyone over the age of about 12 would get all excited at the thoughts of going there, I don't get.

I wouldn't be a fan of the kid targeted ones, like Disneyland/Magic Kingdom, but the likes of Universal Studios is brilliant as an adult. If you're not into rollercoasters, fair enough, but I love them. Nothing in Ireland can really compare, but Cu Chulainn is pretty damn good too, for a wooden coaster (the only one with a near loop apparantly).

I was in orlando 10 years ago, specifically to go to the theme parks (I was 26). I would go there again in a heartbeat. Universal Studios was brilliant, the coasters were amazing (including one which goes in and out of buildings while playing a song picked from a list by you through speakers behind your head), the interactive experiences were brilliant (like being in the underground subway crash), the 4D Simpsons ride, a coaster which accelerates crazy fast, all experiences you just can't get elsewhere really.

Then you have Seaworld, which is also fantastic and educational. And Tampa Bay has Busch Gardens, a zoo/themepark. What's not to like? Throw in the aqua parks, such as Aquatica, and you have even more awesome.

Sorry, I really like Theme Parks!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

^^ could you imagine all the Slipping Jimmys with claims if we had an actual proper theme park here?

I'd like to experience a Disneyworld just to see what decades of predicting and perfecting the customer experience leads to. I watched a good doc on it before and it's pretty mad the effort that goes into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,833 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

^^ could you imagine all the Slipping Jimmys with claims if we had an actual proper theme park here?

I'm surprised no one has claimed yet, claiming that the motion of the rollercoaster thew them around the seat causing physical and mental distress. Only a matter of time I reckon.
    I'd like to experience a Disneyworld just to see what decades of predicting and perfecting the customer experience leads to. I watched a good doc on it before and it's pretty mad the effort that goes into it.

We were thinking of going there when we were in Orlando, but I was against it. It's aimed way too much towards kids for me, and while I enjoy the Disney films (mostly), I wouldn't be enough of a fan to care about a themed park of it. I wouldn't mind trying the coasters, but I think the crowd/kids would get to me.

But I would imagine the service would be top class. Then again, can you keep top class with the crowds that would be there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Seamai wrote: »
    I don't get why so much live music is amplified to the point of distortion, I've often feel lowering the sound a bit would much improve the the listening quality.

This really pisses me (and plenty more) off at weddings. Last wedding I was at I spent a share of it outside the function room talking to a man in his 80s. Neither of us could hack the volume the band were playing at. I think they must be all on a secret commission from Hidden Hearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭ZX7R

Getting teachers Christmas presents in fact everyone in the bloody school,
    principal,cleaner helpers .
    just dont get it, a Christmas card ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Steviewinger

Zombie films

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

This really pisses me (and plenty more) off at weddings. Last wedding I was at I spent a share of it outside the function room talking to a man in his 80s. Neither of us could hack the volume the band were playing at. I think they must be all on a secret commission from Hidden Hearing.
    Totally agree, so loud your balance gets affected! People trying to have full blown conversations with ya and you've to tell them you just can't hear them, strangely some people can talk and listen through it.
    I othen wonder do bars and festivals etc do it so people will stop yappin and drink more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Macdarack wrote: »
    I othen wonder do bars and festivals etc do it so people will stop yappin and drink more.

That's exactly it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Seamai wrote: »
    In fairness she looks very well for her age.

And she is bilngual. Ooooh Vicar?

Edgware wrote: »
    And she is bilngual. Ooooh Vicar?

Ooooh Matron!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭TheDavester

Anything involving James Corden....he's that annoying guy at the bar who thinks he's funny but just an insufferable knob

• Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

I just don't get Wedding speeches.The last wedding I was at the speeches were dire and went on for nearly an hour, before the meal.The best wedding I was ever at was when the speech (groom only) lasted five mins max,no best man speech,no father of the bride or groom speeches and no priest speech.All the guests were delighted.Also mentioned already here,the loud music."Why were you not chatting to people at the wedding" ? "I couldn't hear myself or anyone else,because the f...ing music was too loud"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I don't get the whole Elf on a Shelf thing, nor Aldi soft toy carrots.

I'm with you on these.

The elf on a shelf is a rod for parents' backs and pushes the believability to the limit for kids.

Those giant carrot soft toys are the most ridiculous dust collectors ever... IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭happyday

There's a local deli/cafe that is very expensive.
    In general the food the produce is burnt and can be of poor quality and people raves about it.

Where's that Fresh? You can PM me. 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 13,470 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

I just don't get Wedding speeches.The last wedding I was at the speeches were dire and went on for nearly an hour, before the meal.The best wedding I was ever at was when the speech (groom only) lasted five mins max,no best man speech,no father of the bride or groom speeches and no priest speech.All the guests were delighted.
    I was a wedding a few years ago where parents and 4 siblings made speeches, + the bride and groom made speeches.
    That guests were getting restless and hungry and fooking angry. Why the hotel wedding manager didn't tell the them to wrap it sooner is beyond me

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

happyday wrote: »
    Those giant carrot soft toys are the most ridiculous dust collectors ever... IMHO.

We have 5 or 6 of them we got from various sources. Kids have no interest in them. If anyone wants some PM me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

cjmc wrote: »
    I was a wedding a few years ago where parents and 4 siblings made speeches, + the bride and groom made speeches.
    That guests were getting restless and hungry and fooking angry. Why the hotel wedding manager didn't tell the them to wrap it sooner is beyond me

Crazy.

Advertisement