Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Things you just "don't get"?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Nope man..that post is bull**** !
    Machines now around €75 Eurons

Pang ! Fill machine with water.

Pang! Switch it on

Pang! Insert coffee capsule

Pang ! Hit the start button

Pang ! Lovely cup of coffee waiting to be drunk !!!

What's not to like about that ...knee deep in coffee pots ??? How many cups a day do you drink Dude ?

Jeeze.....some folks .....

Heard the nespreso coffee runs right through a fella. Very effective for ‘bound up’ individuals. I’m a tea man myself so wouldn’t know. Don’t have any issues in that department anyways - if you catch my drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 798 ✭✭✭moonage

Seamai wrote: »
    Baby on Boards stickers on Cars (Am I expected to drive with more care that usual because you you're not capable? You had the child, your responsibility!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Bruthal wrote: »
    And the earth spins 360 degrees in approximately 23 hours 56 minutes:pac:

Picture the moons front face. If it spins around how does no part of the earth ever see the back part with the face facing away from us?

Nope man..that post is bull**** !
    Machines now around €75 Eurons

Pang ! Fill machine with water.

Pang! Switch it on

Pang! Insert coffee capsule

Pang ! Hit the start button

Pang ! Lovely cup of coffee waiting to be drunk !!!

What's not to like about that ...knee deep in coffee pots ??? How many cups a day do you drink Dude ?

Jeeze.....some folks .....

Fully agreed, neapresso is a fantastic invention. Makes excellent coffee with absolute ease, no mess, instant and delicious. Pods can be collected and returned to brown Thomas for recycling also so official ones at least are sustainable.

At this stage I prefer it to nearly all coffee shops with proper machines, it’s that good.

That being said, the more expansive nespresso machines make nicer coffee than the cheaper ones. We have a selection of machines between at work and home and there is a noticeable difference between the coffee machines.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Picture the moons front face. If it spins around how does no part of the earth ever see the back part with the face facing away from us?
    Because it's tidally locked to the Earth in synchronous rotation. Basically the time the moon turns on its axis is the same as the time it takes to orbit the Earth, so the same side always faces us. Here's a gif that illustrates it.

tidally_locking_effect.gif

Weird I grant you but there it is.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Wibbs wrote: »
    Because it's tidally locked to the Earth in synchronous rotation. Basically the time the moon turns on its axis is the same as the time it takes to orbit the Earth, so the same side always faces us. Here's a gif that illustrates it.

tidally_locking_effect.gif

Weird I grant you but there it is.

Thanks. That's been more helpful than the YouTube clips I've watched

• Registered Users Posts: 15,895 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Baby on boards stickers are for emergency services not other drivers

No, they advertise the fact you managed to reproduce.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭CPTM

Surprised about the baby on board thing. With all the impatient drivers around beeping horns and having their lights on full to hurry up a slow driver. At least this way, if someone is doing 55km/hr in a 80 zone, there's a sign there to give a bit of context for anyone who's getting impatient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

callaway92 wrote: »
    Jesus..I have nothing against the girl personally.

My problem is that literally nothing she is saying/doing is of her own accord. She is a vile PR shill and being taken advantage of. Can't believe people are too thick to realise that.

I don't know the girl, I dont dislike the girl. It's the FACT that everything is written for her. Every action she does is potted out for her. Not one thing she has done is from her own mind/heart and it's grim.

Calling her a ‘vile PR shill’ seems pretty darn personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Notoldorwise

Calling the contents of Christmas mince pies "mincemeat". As in Chivers Mincemeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

Because orbital time = rotational time.

We actually see slightly more than a fixed face due to the moon speeding up and slowing down in its eliptical orbit, with the result it overtakes its rotation slightly as it nears the earth, then falls behind it in the father away part of its orbit, so we see probably 52 percent over a month.

If you tie a string to a ball and swing it around you, same side will always face you, but the ball rotates once in each orbit around.

CPTM wrote: »
    Surprised about the baby on board thing. With all the impatient drivers around beeping horns and having their lights on full to hurry up a slow driver. At least this way, if someone is doing 55km/hr in a 80 zone, there's a sign there to give a bit of context for anyone who's getting impatient.

I would in no way change my driving because I see a baby on board sticker, why would I care if someone else had kids in their car?. No reason whatsoever to be doing 55 in an 80 zone just because you have a child in the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Good list. Except for the first one..what's wrong with Christmas crackers?

They're been part of our Christmas dinner routine since as long as I can remember. I figured it's the same in every household.

Can't have a Christmas dinner without the lane king hat you get in the crackers ðŸ˜ðŸ˜

We never had them growing up and then when one of my sister in laws brought them one year (and they weren't cheap ones) I remember thinking, is that it?. My 81 year old mother has gone all green and has but a ban on them along with wrapping paper this Christmas in an effort to keep waste down and I agree with her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,327 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Because the earth and moon spin at exactly the same speed so the moon spins once everytime it goes around the earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Blaizes

We never had them growing up and then when one of my sister in laws brought them one year (and they weren't cheap ones) I remember thinking, is that it?. My 81 year old mother has gone all green and has but a ban on them along with wrapping paper this Christmas in an effort to keep waste down and I agree with her.

Fair play to your mother.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭Higgins5473

the amount of kill joy green environmental stuff has reached maximum retardation. seems to have only been in the last 24 months that its gone full blown.

what else is your mum doing? i hope theres no open fire or turkey being roasted.

the amount of kill joy green environmental stuff has reached maximum retardation. seems to have only been in the last 24 months that its gone full blown.

what else is your mum doing? i hope theres no open fire or turkey being roasted.

No one is stopping you from buying them.

No one is stopping you from buying them.

nobody is stopping someone from calling a black person a horrible racist slur, but I can object to it. what's your point?

She's going to sit in the cold and recycle her own urine, only messing. Seriously though, Christmas does generate an enormous amount of waste, I don't think trying to reduce waste should mean that we all become killjoys. No open fire but a really good wood burning stove and yes there will be turkey.

nobody is stopping someone from calling a black person a horrible racist slur, but I can object to it. what's your point?

Whatever.
    You can still get your stupid paper hat, plastic toy and dad joke if that floats your boat, I couldnt care less.

• Advertisement

Whatever.
    You can still get your stupid paper hat, plastic toy and dad joke if that floats your boat, I couldnt care less.

You’re doing it all wrong, you need to get the really good ones, something like these

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/harrods-of-london/traditional-christmas-crackers-set-of-6-p000000000006467164?bcid=1502363833638

Worth every penny/cent, not too heavy for jeeves go fock our in the bin later on either.

You’re doing it all wrong, you need to get the really good ones, something like these

https://www.harrods.com/en-gb/harrods-of-london/traditional-christmas-crackers-set-of-6-p000000000006467164?bcid=1502363833638

Worth every penny/cent, not too heavy for jeeves go fock our in the bin later on either.

Like I said, I don't care.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,686 ✭✭✭4Ad

Things I dont get:

My hole
    Agressive people
    People who have never heard of Boards.ie..weirdoes !!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

People paying €15+ for a 'gourmet' hamburger

Zigzactly.

A hamburger is supposed to be convenient, handheld, fast food -- not some ridiculous culinary farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,349 ✭✭✭HBC08

optogirl wrote: »
    This used to be a bugbear of mine until a firefighter told me that those stickers are required if you have a child in the car in case of an accident - if baby has been thrown from the car or slipped under a seat etc, emergency services will know to check

A firefighter didnt tell you that cos its not true.You most likely saw it on fb or some sh1te.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭Paddy Cow

HBC08 wrote: »
    A firefighter didnt tell you that cos its not true.You most likely saw it on fb or some sh1te.
    Ya that comment just doesn't make sense. First of all there is no law that requires anyone who has a child in the car to have a baby on board sticker. And secondly, how many times do we hear of babies being thrown from the car or slipping under a seat?

For some reason it's one of those urban legends that people still believe and pass on, even though it's complete nonsense :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,853 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Casey78 wrote: »
    Would you really want to be known as a 'gamer' anyway?

Is it something to be ashamed of?
    Greyfox wrote: »
    I don't get Minecraft, it looks like the most boreing game ever made

It is. But it's also like digital crack. I can't say I like the game, but I have also spent a crazy amount of hours just, well, digging. Can't explain it. It doesn't sound appealing, but it sucks you in. Same with Stardew Valley.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭trashcan

In response to
    The Nal

What? I've given all forms of music plenty of tries, used to pretend I was into whatever back when I was a teenager but I just don't feel anything. I couldn't (could?) care less if I never heard another song.

Now this I don’t get. I don’t think I could live without music. Humanities greatest invention.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,335 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

There's a local deli/cafe that is very expensive.
    In general the food the produce is burnt and can be of poor quality and people raves about it.

• Advertisement

trashcan wrote: »
    Now this I don’t get. I don’t think I could live without music. Humanities greatest invention.

A few years ago I read an interview with a well known RTE presenter who was asked "Could you live without music?" and his response was "I think I could". Now that I really don't get, I get enjoyment from many different types of music. I'm open to anything, as I get older it can often summon on wonderful memories, give me goosebumps, all manner of emotions. On Sunday morning I had the television on while I was preparing lunch and I heard a song I had never heard before called "This Christmas"by a duet called Oh Wonder, it made me stop what I was doing for a few minutes to listen and enjoy it, I can't imagine a life without music.

Advertisement