Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are drivers getting more aggressive last 10 years, or coked up?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

What car as some of you hit the brake hard but let go it will sit there...

It depends on the curve of the road, most times it'll sit there in N without the handbrake, but if the road has any decent bit of an up/down, it'll roll without the handbrake. One could say to put it in P, but you need to tap the breaks to take it out of P (2010 E220).
    To be honest that sounds stupid or you are doing something wrong.

Please explain.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It depends on the curve of the road, most times it'll sit there in N without the handbrake, but if the road has any decent bit of an up/down, it'll roll without the handbrake. One could say to put it in P, but you need to tap the breaks to take it out of P (2010 E220).

Please explain.

No I get that. Some newer ones you hit pedal hard and it auto brakes

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Please explain.

Just , try do it faster, practice with a stop watch.

You can't be holding up the whole of Dublin - try harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

People have just become bigger c**nts in the last couple
    of decades, not just in cars.

This 1000%..

The quality of driving HAS dipped too. As I said recently in another ether on boards both the lack of adherence to the rules of the road and lack of overall courtesy is shocking... just more aggressive fûcks trying to push their way into positions they are not entitled to be in and dangerously too.. passing your test in a one off scenario and showing a competency consistently over time are two very different things...

You could put a 20 year old out for a test after 6 lessons and with the right flow of traffic, a bit of luck they pass, doesn’t mean they are a safe or good driver. Only shows that they ‘can’ and know how to adhere to the rules of the road and have successfully at that time and in that scenario managed to meet all the competencies to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

See many L or N plate vehicles drive like Sh1te, biggest problems are it may actually be a actual licence holder driving as nothing is done about some with a licence driving with these displayed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭Acosta

Most days I sit in long tail backs of 40 plus cars because one guy has decided to drive 20 or 30 km slower than the speed limit and not have the courtesy to move out of the way when possible. Barely ever do people get aggressive and nobody ever beeps.
    The odd time some guy will lose the rag and start overtaking dangerously but most of the time road users just accept it. I think in general the Irish are probably too patient on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭sonic85

It's not all about the quality of driving it's just pricks being pricks a lot of the time. People with not a shred of patience, people just acting the bollix, rampant phone use etc. Its not all cars either. I was in town today tipping along and some prick on a bike swerved across the road in front of me to head down a side road - unbelievable maneuver I've never seen anything like it. What can you do besides look out for yourself - no one else will do it and theres too many people out there with no regard for their own safety or yours

• Registered Users Posts: 24,831 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Acosta wrote: »
    I think in general the Irish are probably too patient on the road.

For the most part I’d disagree, most of the bad driving I see is speed, people cutting up and poorly overtaking... usually driven by impatience.

However being behind a clown doing 40 in a 50 is a ball ache, does happen and is a lot of the time done by the older motorists.

Just , try do it faster, practice with a stop watch.

You can't be holding up the whole of Dublin - try harder.

Ah, there's nothing I can do about the second delay in the auto gearbox changing from P/N to D...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,487 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

See many L or N plate vehicles drive like Sh1te, biggest problems are it may actually be a actual licence holder driving as nothing is done about some with a licence driving with these displayed.

Nothing is done because it's not an offence to drive with these displayed even if they don't apply to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Ah, folks you'd want to try being in pole position at traffic lights in Rome. Being there, not fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭no.8

crazy **** - yes people driving slow trying to save fuel - taxi drivers the worst.

****. Move it.

Sounds like you are part of the problem, rather than the solution

Ok i agree with you here. Nothing worse than drivers not paying attention on the road. It's 1,000,000x times worse than someone having less than lightning quick reactions at the lights.

The 120kph bracket is the maximum speed limit on Irish roads, not the target speed. While I agree that those using the overtaking lane should be able to reach and maintain near 120kph, i find the comparison of 115 vs. 120 to be silly.

Only several sections of Irish motorways are suitable for 150kph limits though imo. I think it can work though it is hardly the most efficient speed to drive at.

Again, you have some very valid points, but others i personally disagree with. Also, you often refer to Irish drivers negatively. Are you from elsewhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I am only a learner driver so i can't compare. But my dad says its simply much more cars on the roads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

I am only a learner driver so i can't compare. But my dad says its simply much more cars on the roads.

Too much logic and not enough outrage in that post.

tuxy wrote: »
    Too much logic and not enough outrage in that post.

Lol there is a lot of outrage when my dad is actually driving IN the car ..he has my nerves SHOT

I've learned swears i didnt know existed!

You should hear my dad on roundabouts ..i try to avoid being in a car with him as much as possible.

I went on a bus with him ONCE. He kept giving out really loudly about how people never had the exact money ready. LOUDLY so they could hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

When I am stopped at a red light I like to put the handbrake on and take up my phone and peruse boards.ie
    Another driver will usually courteously beep to notify me that the lights have turned green at which point I will put my phone down, take off the handbrake, put car into first and move off.

robinbird wrote: »
    When I am stopped at a red light I like to put the handbrake on and take up my phone and peruse boards.ie
    Another driver will usually courteously beep to notify me that the lights have turned green at which point I will put my phone down, take off the handbrake, put car into first and move off.
    Actually my mother has this new car and it turns the engine off automatically when you stop for a long time ...and sometimes it happens at traffic lights ..you can't stop it its an environmental feature to save petrol and stop fumes etc.

It drives people mad though. They must think she has done it on purpose. Its just built into the car though.

Actually my mother has this new car and it turns the engine off automatically when you stop for a long time ...and sometimes it happens at traffic lights ..you can't stop it its an environmental feature to save petrol and stop fumes etc.

It drives people mad though. They must think she has done it on purpose. Its just built into the car though.

Pretty sure she should be able to disable it. The only car I drove that had it was a (crap) 141 Nissan Note, and there was a button to turn off/on the auto-engine off (and another for keeping the revs low... no!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Pretty sure she should be able to disable it. The only car I drove that had it was a (crap) 141 Nissan Note, and there was a button to turn off/on the auto-engine off (and another for keeping the revs low... no!)

I think you have to disable it every time you use the car in some cars.
    Not worth the hassle. I had a rental car, a 2016 Kia that had it and the car came to life very fast. It starts as soon as you clutch in and is running by the time you shift to 1st.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Thespoofer

I think the busier the economy is, the more aggressive people have become.

She thinks she can't. I will tell her this and see if it's possible. :)

She thinks she can't. I will tell her this and see if it's possible. :)

What's the make/model? Could give it a google and see, but I'd imagine you should be able to turn it off with a button press before driving off. Like mentioned above, some cars it's automatically enabled and you have to disable it every time, but if it was anything like the Note I was driving, it's a button right beside the exterior lights switch.

dan1895 wrote: »
    Only yesterday I saw the driver of a van from one one of the big TV/BB companies overtake a car stopped at a red light and go through the junction.

I'd say a lot of that is more down to the company putting them under silly amounts of pressure to get impossible amounts of work done each day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

No they don’t

Ever new car in the World has this. It started to get introduced probably 10+ years ago

That’s not the reason for driving people mad, Look elsewhere for reason it’s driving people mad, start at the driver skills

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

dan1895 wrote: »
    I've been beeped plenty of time just putting the car in gear. It's not the start of a grand prix.

When beeped at any junction the only reasonable response is to sit with your foot on the brakes and delay the person that beeped you by at least another 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,288 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

dilly dally as in put the car in gear and release handbrake? I don't be on my phone etc.

You're in neutral with the handbrake on?

Is that what you're supposed to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    No they don’t

Ever new car in the World has this. It started to get introduced probably 10+ years ago

That’s not the reason for driving people mad, Look elsewhere for reason it’s driving people mad, start at the driver skills

I've had this feature on my car since 2013. Ive never noticed anybody getting mad at me when it engages either.
    I notice it occasionally on the odd car around me. And I've never been mad at them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I've had this feature on my car since 2013. Ive never noticed anybody getting mad at me when it engages either.
    I notice it occasionally on the odd car around me. And I've never been mad at them.

I have an electric car, people never hear an engine and I have no problem with beeping

Advertisement