Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsory retirement and the rise in the State pension age.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,813 ✭✭✭✭JRant

I wouldn't put it past them to push the state pension age out even further being honest.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,878 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I know it's mad....

So many in my job haven't even made it to retirement or just out few months and they die.

Very sad for those people and it's happened to many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

JRant wrote: »
    I wouldn't put it past them to push the state pension age out even further being honest.

I've read speculation of pushing pension age to 70.

Happened to a lad I worked with. Was told he could work until 67 but as soon as he hit his 65th birthday he was marched out the door. Company blamed insurance reasons and his contract did say 65 but he was told not to worry about that.

It's a shameful way to treat people really.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

My contract says 60 is compulsory retirement. I work in IT so there's no physical reason I can't do my job as I get older.

• Advertisement

AulWan wrote: »
    I've read speculation of pushing pension age to 70.

I'll be leaving here if that comes to pass. Not a hope could you survive in this expensive kip without a pension.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

I wouldn't put it past them to push the state pension age put even further being honest.

Will have to happen.
    Demographic changes to the ratio of working to retired people are inevitably going to lead to increasing retirement age or cuts in payment rates.

Cuts in rates are politically difficult, so expect the age to creep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Phoebas wrote:
    I don't see how they can change the working retirement age for people currently in employment. My contract, for example, terminates my employment at age 60. I don't think it's the business of the state to be getting in the middle of that contract.

They could tbf. Could deem all those clauses invalid and if physical reasons are used, make them be moved into an admin role.

Plus, people are getting younger, physically and mentally.

There are 3 people due to retire where I work and all 3 are well fit to keep doing their jobs, should they wish or need to.

Personally, I feel that at 65, you've paid your dues and the Govt is just taking the piss with the retirement age of workers, while non workers carry on regardless.

titan18 wrote: »
    They could tbf. Could deem all those clauses invalid and if physical reasons are used, make them be moved into an admin role.

I know of one Company who sent all staff a letter saying due to the changes in Pension Legislation, all staff can now opt to stay until 67, should they wish.

It should be said it's a Company with many staff of 40 years plus and a company with integrity and respect for staff.

It's as simple as that really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

I'll be leaving here if that comes to pass. Not a hope could you survive in this expensive kip without a pension.

That's kind of what they want. Export old problems, import young workers.
    Look at the French they at least try to take on Macron.

Varadkar could push the pension age to 80 and Irishmen wouldn't take to the streets.

In theory they could but I don't think anyone would want to see the state getting that involved in private contracts freely entered into.

Phoebas wrote: »
    In theory they could but I don't think anyone would want to see the state getting that involved in private contracts freely entered into.

This is a State problem as lifelong tax payers are getting left high and dry.

The Govt. are answerable to these life long tax payers who have paid into the pot and saying otherwise is a cop out.

anewme wrote: »
    This is a State problem as lifelong tax payers are getting left high and dry.

The Govt. are answerable to these life long tax payers and saying otherwise is a cop out.

Exactly - the state need to act, not just shove the problem onto employers.

Exactly - the state need to act, not just shove the problem onto employers.

Private sector workers need to be treated the same as public sector workers and not discriminated against.

Will have to happen.
    Demographic changes to the ratio of working to retired people are inevitably going to lead to increasing retirement age or cuts in payment rates.

Cuts in rates are politically difficult, so expect the age to creep up.

If it needs to be cut then so be it. Expecting people to cope with 3-5 years with nothing coming in after working for 40+ years is disgraceful. We can't keep pushing the age limit out. As it is most people only get a few years to enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,967 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Ok but there must be some leeway or something as they put his payment back through.

He has worked all his life.

I don't know P. Can't help you there.

That's kind of what they want. Export old problems, import young workers.
    Look at the French they at least try to take on Macron.

Varadkar could push the pension age to 80 and Irishmen wouldn't take to the streets.

Indeed, that's a fair point you raise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,726 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Public sector have now been changed so they can work until 68 (or is it 70?) if they want to.

But many private sector companies haven't caught up. I worked for one a couple of years ago who wanted me to go permanent. They were very surprised when i said that the compulsory retirement age of 60 was a major factor against it for me - but they wouldn't consider changing the age.

Public sector have now been changed so they can work until 68 (or is it 70?) if they want to.

But many private sector companies haven't caught up. I worked for one a couple of years ago who wanted me to go permanent. They were very surprised when i said that the compulsory retirement age of 60 was a major factor against it for me - but they wouldn't consider changing the age.

Its 70.

• Advertisement

There are those on the right that believe there shouldn't be any state pension at all.

Tony EH wrote: »
    There are those on the right that believe there shouldn't be any state pension at all.

And also the tax free lump sum will go on private pensions.

My contract says 60 is compulsory retirement. I work in IT so there's no physical reason I can't do my job as I get older.

Your company doesn't care whether you can do your job or not after you reach a certain age. You are easily replaced. Most companies these days aren't even interested in hiring people in their 50's, who they view as over the hill.

There is s huge, huge, problem with ageism in Ireland's workplace and it isn't going to get any better.

Frankly, I'd rather see government tackle that problem rather than just making the state pension and unemployment payments increasingly unobtainable for more and more people.

Private sector workers need to be treated the same as public sector workers and not discriminated against.
    When's that starting?
    If it needs to be cut then so be it. Expecting people to cope with 3-5 years with nothing coming in after working for 40+ years is disgraceful. We can't keep pushing the age limit out. As it is most people only get a few years to enjoy it.
    No government is going to willingly cut the pension rate. It would be suicidal.
    I don't think they cut it when the IMF were in town; they're not going to do it as part of a long term policy.

When's that starting?

Well if the public service compulsory retirement rate is 70, private sector needs to match.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

They want everyone to work till they die.

Many jobs one shouldnt go past 60 such as driving trucks or buses as they are extremely unhealthy as it is.

FG 101

Plus, people are getting younger, physically and mentally.

People are living longer. Not necessarily getting younger. However, most people will still feel the age in themselves. Their eyesight will deteriorate, their bodies will stiffen up, etc. Nobody escapes that.

Pushing out the retirement age to 70 only means that you end up with people of that age either having to sign on if they qualify (which is becoming harder and harder to do), or dip into their savings, assuming they have any and enough to last til they reach the magic number.

Tony EH wrote: »
    People are living longer. Not necessarily getting younger. However, most people will still feel the age in themselves. Their eyesight will deteriorate, their bodies will stiffen up, etc. Nobody escapes that.

Pushing out the retirement age to 70 only means that you end up with people of that age either having to sign on if they qualify (which is becoming harder and harder to do), or dip into their savings, assuming they have any and enough to last til they reach the magic number.

I'm totally with you here and it's an issue for a very close friend at the moment who will be retiring shortly. Its certainly opened my eyes about respect for someone who started work at 15 and will have worked for one employer for 45 years.

For me, I'm hoping to go at 65, but will be pissed off getting nothing coming in for 2 years, ( i already know I wont qualify)after working since I was 18.

I'm totally with you here and it's an issue for a very close friend at the moment who will be retiring shortly. Its certainly opened my eyes about respect for someone who started work at 15.

For me, I'm hoping to go at 65, but will be pissed off getting nothing coming in for 2 years, ( i already know I wont qualify)after working since I was 18.

The way it stands at the moment, you will get 9 months of unemployment benefit, and the social welfare (or whatever it will be called by then) will hound you to try an find a new job. Then, if your savings are over a specific amount you will get nothing and will be expected to dip into those savings.

But, by the time you are 65, I doubt that the situation will be as it is now.

It will, more than likely, be much worse.

• Advertisement

When's that starting?

No government is going to willingly cut the pension rate. It would be suicidal.
    I don't think they cut it when the IMF were in town; they're not going to do it as part of a long term policy.

They may not willingly do it but thens are going to come to a head sooner rather than later.

Advertisement