Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compulsory retirement and the rise in the State pension age.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭JRant

Tony EH wrote: »
    The way it stands at the moment, you will get 9 months of unemployment benefit, and the social welfare (or whatever it will be called by then) will hound you to try an find a new job. Then, if your savings are over a specific amount you will get nothing and will be expected to dip into those savings.

But, by the time you are 65, I doubt that the situation will be as it is now.

It will, more than likely, be much worse.

As AD rightly pointed out, they want rid of older people and this is a way to force people's hands.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Registered Users Posts: 14,531 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I saw it in the US older people hardly able to make ends meet at he end of their working life having to take all kinds of low paid jobs to get by.

They are doing it here by stealth on the basis that only a relatively low number are affected each year in relation to the total work force.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 349 ✭✭X111111111111

Disgusting to imagine working your entire life and putting savings away for retirement only to be told you have to use them as through no fault of own you can't claim the dole when forced to retire. At the same time if you've done f u c k all and claimed dole for years not saving a cent you can still get full dole at same age. Although i suppose it's funny and we deserve it for voting these same crooks in year after year and letting them ride us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

I decide to retire at 55 in Ireland and have been paying into a pension all my life with employer contributions.

When can i legally start to draw down on my private pension. Would you have to wait till 68?

This is just a scenario above. I am currently working in the states and i can take out at any age with a 10% fine.
    Also can retire at 55 with no fines if i'm with the same company.

Just wondering about Ireland is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,902 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Disgusting to imagine working your entire life and putting savings away for retirement only to be told you have to use them as through no fault of own you can't claim the dole when forced to retire. At the same time if you've done f u c k all and claimed dole for years not saving a cent you can still get full dole at same age. Although i suppose it's funny and we deserve it for voting these same crooks in year after year and letting them ride us.

There are a limited number of who people can vote for. It's a or b and they are both useless, or even worse than useless.

Agree its disgusting how workers are treated after a life of working and trying to save a bit to enjoy retirement.

Even expecting people to sign in the dole after working for 40 - 50 years is a disgrace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,038 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

No, we don't. People need to stop placing blame for a government's shitty decisions on ordinary people. No party campaigns for election on a platform of making things shit for people and nobody votes anybody in hoping that the party they put their mark besides will make things shitier either.

The blame lies solely with the party in government who, when they get to power, reveal what they really had in store all along.

Tony EH wrote: »
    No, we don't. People need to stop placing blame for a government's shitty decisions on ordinary people. No party campaigns for election on a platform of making things shit for people and nobody votes anybody in hoping that the party they put their mark besides will make things shitier either.

The blame lies solely with the party in government who, when they get to power, reveal what they really had in store all along.

And people still vote for them. That's the electorates fault.

And people still vote for them. That's the electorates fault.

Who else do they vote for? Theres an option of a or b.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Masala

So.. if I retire at 65 when my State pension is 68 for me. Will my company pension go against me if I go on the dole.

Masala wrote: »
    So.. if I retire at 65 when my State pension is 68 for me. Will my company pension go against me if I go on the dole.

Yep.

You get employment benefit for 9 months and after that you get employment benefit, which is means tested.

If you have taken a pension lump sum, its likely you will qualify for little or no assistance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

I honestly dont get the raising of the retirement age.

Yes people are living longer but as the older you get the chances are you are going to get sick or get an illness.

Once a TD steps into the Dail they board the gravy train and they lose touch with the common man. Allowances, Expenses and the perks are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

So people are living longer yet we should keep the pension age the same?????????

Doesn’t compute.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

mikeym wrote: »
    I honestly dont get the raising of the retirement age.

Yes people are living longer but as the older you get the chances are you are going to get sick or get an illness.

Once a TD steps into the Dail they board the gravy train and they lose touch with the common man. Allowances, Expenses and the perks are great.

They're raising it because there simply is not enough money in the pot to pay all of the incoming retirees and ensure that the current crop of workers also get paid out. The ratio of workers to retirees in Ireland will be 2:1 in 2050, it's around 6:1 now. Raising the age is a cop out and the easiest way to kick the can down the road, next to lowering the pension rate itself and lastly discriminating against those with private pensions, all of which we will see in our lifetimes.

I wouldn't fancy being 25 and maxing out a pension, even with generous work contributions.

How much longer are people living today compared to 20 years ago, 40 years ago, 60 years ago?

60 years ago?

At least 10 years.

Like what is the problem?

Something needs to be done about the pension crisis coming down the line.

If we done nothing now and it hit us in 20 years people would be giving out we should have done something now.

Can’t win.

Go in job seekers and you will get nearly the same each week.

If we done nothing now and it hit us in 20 years people would be giving out we should have done something now.

Can’t win.

People are oblivious that this train has now left the station.

Can’t win.

If you have a private pension you more than likely wont get job seekers allowance as any savings or income you have will be deducted.

anewme wrote: »
    If you have a private pension you more than likely wont get job seekers allowance as any savings or income you have will be deducted.

So what’s the solution?

Can’t win.

You won't get jobseekers if you have saved for retirement. Also in 20-25 years time if you have a private pension that is enough to sustain you then kiss your public pension goodbye unless you are part of the untouchable public sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,892 ✭✭✭✭JRant

So people are living longer yet we should keep the pension age the same?????????

Doesn’t compute.

People are living longer, on average. However, the important part is quality of life. Having 65-70 to enjoy travel etc is a much better option than trying to do it at 70+. Human beings seriously slow down in their 70s and quality of life diminishes significantly.

"Well, yeah, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭blackbox

If you have a private pension that disqualifies you from JSB it is deemed that you don't need the JSB.

Why should government give you money if you have enough of an income already?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Dothebartman

blackbox wrote: »
    If you have a private pension that disqualifies you from JSB it is deemed that you don't need the JSB.

At what age can you retire and start making withdrawals from your private pension?

blackbox wrote: »

Deemed by who exactly?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,787 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Deemed by who exactly?

Deemed by the government.

It's the same if you become unemployed at any age: you get jobseekers benefit for a limited time if you have enough stamps. But if you don't or once they run out, jobseekers allowance is means tested. You if have cash above 20k or other income or property that you own but aren't personally using, or are co-habiting with someone who is working, then the amount you get is rapidly reduced.

Expect to see euthanasia on the agenda in Ireland soon. It will be sold as a compassionate option. Really it's about reducing spending on end-of-life care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,459 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

The other issue facing us is the likes of google have been flagging for a few years now that up to 1 in every 2 jobs will disappear by 2030. Through AI, machine learning etc. Many 50 and 60 year olds will find it close to impossible to compete in that labour market. Some will do well no doubt, and we will be constantly reminded of this. But if they were honest, a lot will be on the scrapheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

https://siptu.agitate.ie/act/support-the-stop67-campaign/

A campaign has been started to get this new age repealed. Its worth gettting behind this.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,370 ✭✭✭Phoebas

A campaign has been started to get this new age repealed. Its worth gettting behind this.

They're looking for 500 signatures.
    Seems a bit of a pathetic effort given that they represent 200k workers.

But then again, they're not proposing an alternative solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

Agree they not suggestng an alternative, but it is a start on the discussions. I cant think of one either other than just lower it again until if/when they come up with a realistic idea to raise the age in the future. I knew years ago when the age was raised some stop gap was going to have to come into play to cover the non earnings between 65 and 67/8, but naively did think there would be a solution offered by the time the age change came into affect. Really does not look like this is even being thought about in government. I've said it many people in the age brracket, and alot arent aware that they will be left adrift financially. The petition might now raise awareness of this. Which bright spark in govt thought this one up ?

I'm not a SIPTU worker, so I would not have known about this, so thanks for letting me know.

I'm totally behind it, it is an election issue.

They will get a lot more than 500 signatures, its nearly there already.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

The secret is never list the dates you went to college or secondary school or your date of birth on any CV then you get an interview the rest is up to you . they work out your age based on these things so dont let them also get off facebook! you can get work in your late 50's & early 60's

Advertisement