Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Future and potential Star Wars films - news and speculation

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Not sure where to put this, but on Netflix, there's a show called chef... With Jon favereau...
    But season one, volume two, episode 5.. Dave filioni... Excuse my spelling, is cooking and chatting with Jon.. At skywalker ranch..

That was fun! Hungry now! :)

Good bit of Nostalgia. Then I guess I took away that:
    - Mandalorian is done filming and they are putting the finishing touches on it.
    - Filoni was just about to finish up the new season of clone wars and he's hyped about it and there'll be a shock of some kind (no peaches line)
    - They both felt comfortable with the Darksaber being mentioned and it was still in play the last I saw it so .. maybe .. maybe? .. we might see it in Mandalorian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

i had to google Darksaber....
    then i had to see it....
    this cartoon looks great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I really liked it. Felt as close to hard scifi that a disney animated series could go.

It's been on break for a few years but so popular it's coming back for a final season.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Benioff and Weiss are out. Some bs excuse about scheduling conflicts that nobody believes. I guess with Feige on board they don't need more tv producers. I assume they were Disney's rather than Kennedy's idea anyway. I think Johnson's film will still go ahead if he wants but I'd prefer to see him do his own thing. If he does drop out I'd take that as a sign that Kennedy is being pushed aside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Interesting development. I’m not in the slightest a fan of their storytelling style, mind, and this thread that was doing the rounds the other day suggests that they may have gotten lucky with their ‘seat of their pants’ approach to production to GoT.

https://twitter.com/forarya/status/1188186578071556102?s=21

A big part of me wants Johnson to just make non-franchise films, because Knives Out is beyond wonderful and I can’t wait to see what else he has up his sleeve. Equally, he’s the one filmmaker likely to make a Star Wars movie who would have me in anyway excited about more Star Wars *shrug* We’ll see!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Man, those two's fortunes really nose fast: the toast of the town, then GoT (apparently) went off a cliff, they had to can their Confederacy alt-universe show, and now get the heave-ho from their Star Wars production. Their banks accounts are probably OK, but still must be a big downer all the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭Homelander

Dont care, those guys single handedly absolutely wrecked Game of Thrones for no valid reason other than to get out of dodge. Shows often run their course far before they end, but Game of Thrones was still a fertile ground for another few seasons to bring an epic tale to a legendary conclusion. But no, rather then hand it over or relinquish control to people who could do that, D&D somehow thought the world would be OK with the cliff-notes 100mph edition ending. **** those guys. I like to think they're now reaping what they sowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

pixelburp wrote: »
    Man, those two's fortunes really nose fast: the toast of the town, then GoT (apparently) went off a cliff, they had to can their Confederacy alt-universe show, and now get the heave-ho from their Star Wars production. Their banks accounts are probably OK, but still must be a big downer all the same...

Where did you read the story?

They have a deal with Netflix and can't do both. They probably chose Netflix because it more money, more projects, more future potential.

These guys are just fine. Internet nerd rage or whatever you call it is not affecting these guys career. The finale episode of Thrones was a bit rushed but the rest was great.

Lucasfilm will either put the trilogy on hold or hire someone else.

i had to google Darksaber....
    then i had to see it....
    this cartoon looks great....

You never seen Clone Wars ?

You are in for a treat my man.

Before you watch you there are two viewing orders - the production order and a chronological order. Both are a fun way to see it.

Some people find the first season and one of the main characters a chore to watch but all agree that you need to stick with it.

Yea, I'm gonna watch the whole lot on Netflix....
    looking forward to it...

• Advertisement

Yea, I'm gonna watch the whole lot on Netflix....
    looking forward to it...

I don't think it is on Netflix but the DisneyLife app has them all - and it is the only streaming service to have season 6 over here. Season 7 will be exclusive to Disney+ when it it is finally finished.

This is the chronological order of the stories if that interests you.

https://www.starwars.com/news/star-wars-the-clone-wars-chronological-episodeorder

It is how I would watch them from now on but it was fun watching by season too.

It wasn't planned to have them that way but Lucas would often be in story meetings or stick his head into the office and bring up an old storyline or delve more into character that was dead. :D

Enjoy.

I think I'll start a rewatch after Christmas myself.:cool:

I'm not in Ireland, it is on local Netflix here.
    Thanks for the chronological order tip. I'll get on board the clone wars choo choo this week...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,554 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Benioff and Weiss are out.

Well, I did not see that coming.

What the hell is going on over there. This Star Wars thing has been a bloody shambles under Disney. :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Where did you read the story?

They have a deal with Netflix and can't do both. They probably chose Netflix because it more money, more projects, more future potential.

These guys are just fine. Internet nerd rage or whatever you call it is not affecting these guys career. The finale episode of Thrones was a bit rushed but the rest was great.

Lucasfilm will either put the trilogy on hold or hire someone else.

Read which bit?

I hadn't realised they were signed up to Netflix though, any sense of what they're hoping to produce?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt they were sacked because Twitter didn't like the GOT finale. They probably thought they were taking on a Feige-like role only for Disney to bring in the man himself. I assume they made the Netflix deal at that point while Disney waited for a good time to announce their departure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭manbitesdog

I’m was skeptical about the GoT lads producing Star Wars, but Feige getting involved is really bad news. The franchise will be turned into a pale shadow of the Marvel movies. Totally the wrong approach for Star Wars.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,734 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

any sense of what they're hoping to produce?

I’m sure they’ll figure it out after six or seven seasons :cool:

I'm not in Ireland, it is on local Netflix here.
    Thanks for the chronological order tip. I'll get on board the clone wars choo choo this week...

Nice one.

Enjoy. ;)

Tony EH wrote: »
    Well, I did not see that coming.

What the hell is going on over there. This Star Wars thing has been a bloody shambles under Disney. :pac:

Shambles in what way?
    Read which bit?

I hadn't realised they were signed up to Netflix though, any sense of what they're hoping to produce?

It is a multi-year deal to work exclusively with Netflix. $100 million or something like that.

Either it is one massive series or more likely multiple series and movies.

Maybe I'm wrong but I doubt they were sacked because Twitter didn't like the GOT finale. They probably thought they were taking on a Feige-like role only for Disney to bring in the man himself. I assume they made the Netflix deal at that point while Disney waited for a good time to announce their departure.

You are correct that it had nothing to do with internet reaction. No one cared about the complaints.

I doubt they expected to be the Feiges of Star Wars. They were developing one set of movies.

Feige is developing one movie for Lucasfilm. He is not the Feige of Star Wars either.

• Advertisement

I’m was skeptical about the GoT lads producing Star Wars, but Feige getting involved is really bad news. The franchise will be turned into a pale shadow of the Marvel movies. Totally the wrong approach for Star Wars.

Lads, what is with all themelodramtaic doom and gloom?

Feige is putting together one Star Wars movie. He is not taking over.

Shambles in what way?

Hiring directors, firing directors, throwing scripts out, missive reshoots, massive rewrites, announcements of future films, scrapping of future films, a retreat to TV, and whatever you're having yourself.

Shambling from one mess to another and damage control all the the way.

It's been anything but a smooth ride, because they haven't a bloody clue how to approach this at all.

Hiring directors, firing directors, throwing scripts out, missive reshoots, massive rewrites, announcements of future films, scrapping of future films, a retreat to TV, and whatever you're having yourself.

Shambling from one mess to another and damage control all the the way.

It's been anything but a smooth ride, because they haven't a bloody clue how to approach this at all.

You've just described quite a lot of movies productions there.

People just don't take notice most of the times.

Marvel didn't want Robert Downey Jnr. Jon Faverau didn't want to do Iron Man 2. Edgar Wright spending years rewriting Ant-Man. The firing of Edward Norton, Terence Howard and Patty Jenkins. Natalie Portman leaving the Thor series. Losing Spider-man from the MCU. And I'd say the payment negotiations are a barrel of laughs.

In Star Wars two director were fired - Lord & Miller. Bhaved like a couple of jakasses from what I've read but I very much agree Lucasfilm shouldn't have let it get that far. Trevorrow fired or quit is irrelevant - he couldn't deliver a script so want was Kennedy supposed to do? Keep him in the director chair?

I've read a couple of interviews by Tony Gilroy and as best I recall he said Edwards had done fine work but the studio just didn't know what they wanted with Rogue One. Nothing unique about that.

Josh Trank departure is not something that can be blamed on either Lucasfilm or Trank himself. The man has/had some problems (I read OCD or crippling anxiety attacks somewhere). I'd love to know how that is a negative against Lucasfilm? How was Kennedy supped to know about this before it became a problem?

What future films were announced that were then cancelled? There was plenty of rumours over the years but only the Johnson and GoT duo trilogies have been announced. Feige's movie has had no official statement and the Obi-Wan movie (which actually was being developed) was never announced.

And what is wrong with the Obi-Wan story moving to TV? You have a problem with six hours of Kenobi and would prefer two?:confused:

The Force Awakens was a dull, unimaginative cobbled together Expanded Universe knock off. That is on Abrams because that is the story he wanted and by all accounts no one else wanted the job.

Everything with Mark Hamill (and Hamill & Ridley) is The Last Jedi was pure gold. Johnson's had the stones to do things different, but what was he supposed to do with the likes of Finn & Poe? They are nobodies.

Rogue One is a fantastic movie. Solo is also a fantastic film - my only issue is that we don't get the original villain the was intended. So it flopped at the box office? Only problem with that is that it affects the possibility of a sequel - which is something I really want. The money though was not going in our pockets so who cares about that?

Rebels was a fantastic, beautifully made show. Resistance looks great and has very likeable characters but again is a story brought down by Abrams dull villains. Disney have allowed Filoni to finish Clone Wars which is amazing.

The Marvel comics seem uninteresting and the books mostly focus on Sequel trilogy stuff so I'm not interested.

This recent business with the Game of Thrones guys is not a big deal. Nor is it a negative against Lucasfilm or Disney. They got a $200 million multi year deal with Netflix. They were not worth that much to the Star Wars franchise because Kennedy can get someone else to take over their project. If anyone is to "blame" it is the men themselves - why were they in talks with Netflix when they knew couldn't do that and Star Wars? But for 200 million can you blame them?

You can out the drama llama back in it pen. There is no shambles here. Things are not perfect but the again how can they be when George Lucas is not in charge himself?

You've just described quite a lot of movies productions there.

Eh no, I haven't.

Under Disney, Star Wars has had a particularly bumpy ride, to say the least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Describing Solo as "fantastic"....
    Describing any part of the Last jedi as "pure gold".....

I think you are on your own with that one. Both are the worst-reviewed movies of the entire franchise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Kirby wrote: »
    Both are the worst-reviewed movies of the entire franchise.

Not quite. The Last Jedi was a critical success, whereas the general public seems to have a 50/50 split, but in saying that I have never met anyone in person that said that they think it's one of their favourite films in the franchise. It's always that they disliked it, or that it was alright.

With regard to Solo, the critics weren't as enamoured with it as they were with The Last Jedi, but the average Star Wars fan thinks it's pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Solo is also a fantastic film

You had my attention until this nugget :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

Relikk wrote: »
    With regard to Solo, the critics weren't as enamoured with it as they were with The Last Jedi, but the average Star Wars fan thinks it's pretty decent.

I disagree everyone I know thinks it's a complete piece of sh!t and the thread on boards.ie for Solo would seem to agree with that sentiment.

Completely forgettable.

The best I can say about Solo is that for a film 80% reshot by a completely different director, it wasn't a complete, incoherent disaster. Lord knows what the final budget was for what amounted to 2 films shot & one released, but I haven't read or seen a single fan who has been particularly fond of the film either.

• Advertisement

'Solo' gets a pass from a lot of people because it wasn't 'The Last Jedi'.

But, it's very far from being a good film.

Solo is just OK. Not as bad as it could have been, but added very little to the franchise and didn't make any remotely convincing case for having been made in the first place. Watchable but forgettable, I wouldn't even say it's decent really, just not a bad film. I'd love to know what the film was looking like when they pulled the plug on it and had to reshoot most of it.

Well the figure knocking around was that it was more or less done, Ron Howard parachuted in to reshoot approx. 70-80% of what was already in the can; there were more overtly goofy sections that I recall & suspected were the 25% untouched, such as the material around our first meeting of Chewie.

Eh no, I haven't.

Under Disney, Star Wars has had a particularly bumpy ride, to say the least.

Yes you have.

Director changes, cast changes, rewrites and reshoots happen all the time.

Most big sci-fi/fantasy movies have reshoots schedule before principal photography even starts. Every MCU movie has had them.

Star Wars is simply under a microscope. The hype since the Disney purchase is ridiculous.

EDIT: Also, why would you use "eh" in a text conversation?

EDIT 2: Is just a thing you do because of your username?

Yes you have.

No, I haven't.

Star Wars has been in a state of flux since Disney bought it. There hasn't been a single production that hasn't suffered some sort of upset/interference and has had to have been righted by a damage control effort.

Iger, himself, has basically admitted that they fucked things up and they are even going on a "hiatus" to do a post mortem on the cinema side of things, while letting TV shows now do the heavy lifting.

All is not well and this wouldn't be happening if everything was happily plodding along.

Kirby wrote: »
    Describing Solo as "fantastic"....
    Describing any part of the Last jedi as "pure gold".....

I think you are on your own with that one. Both are the worst-reviewed movies of the entire franchise.

I'm not on my own. There are plenty of people who love both movies just as there are plenty who don't.

What have "reviews" got to do with anything? Who gives a toss what Mark Kermode or Siskel & Ebert think?

And regardless of your opinion of the film itself, if you don't think that Mark Hamill gave a spectacular performance then begone... I wish not to soil mine eyes with your alphabetic excrement !!!:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Not quite. The Last Jedi was a critical success, whereas the general public seems to have a 50/50 split, but in saying that I have never met anyone in person that said that they think it's one of their favourite films in the franchise. It's always that they disliked it, or that it was alright.

You are hanging out with the wrong people ;)

I'm assuming you are getting your "50/50" and "average fan" numbers from the internet.

That really isn't an accurate source though is it because it because not every fan spends time on the internet for that kind of thing.

I disagree everyone I know thinks it's a complete piece of sh!t and the thread on boards.ie for Solo would seem to agree with that sentiment.

Completely forgettable.

Obviously it isn't forgettable or you wouldn't be able to voice an opinion on it.

ActiveCheerfulBarnacle-size_restricted.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ErnestBorgnine

I'm assuming you are getting your "50/50" and "average fan" numbers from the internet.

That really isn't an accurate source though is it because it because not every fan spends time on the internet for that kind of thing.

I don't know anyone who didn't thing it was a steaming pile of ****e.

So 0/100 split for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,318 ✭✭✭emo72

Just jumping in here to say TLJ and Solo were brutal. TLJ was embarrassing to be more Frank.

On yous go lads.

The best I can say about Solo is that for a film 80% reshot by a completely different director, it wasn't a complete, incoherent disaster. Lord knows what the final budget was for what amounted to 2 films shot & one released, but I haven't read or seen a single fan who has been particularly fond of the film either.

I don't know if Lucasfilm has officially stated the cost but the number floating around is 500 million.

I actually don't know anyone who didn't love or at least enjoy Solo. I hadn't realised that before.

• Advertisement

Solo is mediocre, flavourless and forgettable.

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film. I wish I was trolling when I say that as I enjoy how worked up it makes people, but alas I am being 100% earnest.

I find it very hard to believe that you haven't seen anyone online who liked Solo.

I don't spend that much time online and I've seen plenty of positive, negative and neutral opinions.

Solo is mediocre, flavourless and forgettable.

The Last Jedi is the best Star Wars film. I wish I was trolling when I say that as I enjoy how worked up it makes people, but alas I am being 100% earnest.

If it is the best one then why do you wish you are trolling?
    Or is your "100% earnestness" actually "100% sarcasm"?

I don't know if Lucasfilm has officially stated the cost but the number floating around is 500 million.

I actually don't know anyone who didn't love or at least enjoy Solo. I hadn't realised that before.

I enjoyed Solo insofar as it wasn't terrible, which is also about as positive as my own personal subset of demographics would attest to as well. It's not a BAD movie, but it was just so ... there. As I said, it wasn't a total incoherent mess so if that qualifies as a success, then fair play.

People questioned whether Solo would be a totally redundant prequel, and sure enough that's precisely what it was. Nothing was learnt about Han except the most bizarrely mundane and pointless (oh, so that's where he got his blaster! That's where he got his .. wait, his name??), while the characters it did introduce were utterly pointless - coupled with a blatant piece of fan-service that was clumsy and arbitrary.

I enjoyed Solo insofar as it wasn't terrible, which is also about as positive as my own personal subset of demographics would attest to as well. It's not a BAD movie, but it was just so ... there. As I said, it wasn't a total incoherent mess so if that qualifies as a success, then fair play.

People questioned whether Solo would be a totally redundant prequel, and sure enough that's precisely what it was. Nothing was learnt about Han except the most bizarrely mundane and pointless (oh, so that's where he got his blaster! That's where he got his .. wait, his name??), while the characters it did introduce were utterly pointless - coupled with a blatant piece of fan-service that was clumsy and arbitrary.

Where there really people who thought the film was pointless when it was announced?

That is funny because back then I was a member of a Star Wars forum and they were all rabid for young Han Solo since standalone movies were first announced.

I was actually a lone voice saying that such a movie wouldn't get made (then shouldn't get made when it was official) because we didn't need to know about his past. I was regularly and viciously attacked about it. I left the site and since the film was getting made I decided to have an open minded. It ended u being great.

I don't what is to be bothered by how Han got his gun. And the business with his name has been around since Return of the Jedi. In the novelisation when they are leaving Tatooine Luke wonders whether Solo is Han's real name. Did he choose it because he had been alone. So that either comes from Lucas or Kasdan but it is not new.

I like that the background story of the life debt is out of the picture now too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Relikk

Ehhhh, no. Like I said, anyone I've met, which includes friends, colleagues and anyone I've talked to in person about the movie over the past (nearly) two years. None of them included TLJ in their favourite Star Wars movies list. The majority of them thought it was awful, and I share their sentiments. Some liked it. None of them loved it. And the majority of them preferred Solo as a Star Wars movie within the universe they had previously known, as in the look and feel of it was more akin to episodes I-VII. As did I. There are no internet influenced vox pops from the information or opinions I gathered.

I can easily see why someone would think that about TLJ. What lens is being applied to reach that conclusion, I would wager it comes primarily from being a passionate fan of film making first and Star Wars second?

I liked the film and thought it was bold in a way Star Wars has never been before, but most equally I had some major problems with it too as a huge Star Wars fan. But I give it the thumbs up overall, a case of the good outweighing the bad for me personally. Most people I know feel the same. If you had to boil it down to a yes or no, it'd be a 'yes' from almost everyone I know, but most of my friends had issues with it and to be honest it's always the same issues that come up again and again.

I can see why someone would consider it pure gold even if I strongly disagree, but I can't really afford the same understanding to anyone claiming it was absolute crap or without any good qualities. The only 'crap' Star Wars films to me are probably Attack of the Clones, maybe Solo, even then both are very watchable. The rest, for me, are either excellent (IV, V, VI, Rogue One), good but disappointing despite excellent high points (Force Awakens, Last Jedi) or weak with some diamond material in the rough (I, III). That leaves II (just plain awful) and Solo (redundant, forgettable, unnecessary but watchable).

Where there really people who thought the film was pointless when it was announced?

That is funny because back then I was a member of a Star Wars forum and they were all rabid for young Han Solo since standalone movies were first announced.

It was the predominant topic when it came to the prequel, for all the obvious & mentioned reasons; leastways outside of the very kind of hardcore, fanboy forum you mention. Prequels are by their very nature potential victims of redundancy and Solo never marked himself out as being someone whose history was that mysterious or enticing. And even if it were, what we eventually got was so irrelevant and tickbox checking, I really don't think the final film deserves actual praise.

The thread in this very forum should give enough of a sense of the prevailing mood; https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057623474 which was ... who cares?

If it is the best one then why do you wish you are trolling?
    Or is your "100% earnestness" actually "100% sarcasm"?

Nope, completely believe it, as I’ve discussed in depth in the relevant thread so won’t drag this off any further. Just the film works some people online up so much I’d almost enjoy winding them up - no film has prompted such a ridiculous online discourse. Like I’ve seen morons on YouTube buying Rose toys to shoot them with weapons, which is a borderline psychotic reaction to a Hollywood blockbuster they didn’t like, even in jest. They deserve nothing but mockery. But I genuinely believe it’s the best and most cinematically accomplished piece of blockbuster franchise filmmaking of the past half decade or so, and already looking forward to rewatching it ahead of Episode IX :)

Ehhhh, no. Like I said, anyone I've met, which includes friends, colleagues and anyone I've talked to in person about the movie over the past (nearly) two years. None of them included TLJ in their favourite Star Wars movies list. The majority of them thought it was awful, and I share their sentiments. Some liked it. None of them loved it. And the majority of them preferred Solo as a Star Wars movie within the universe they had previously known, as in the look and feel of it was more akin to episodes I-VII. As did I. There are no internet influenced vox pops from the information or opinions I gathered.

"Hanging out with the wrong people" is meant as a joke because I seem to have had the opposite experience in regard to opinions on the film.

The way you phrased the 50/50 etc I assumed you were passing it on review websites.

• Advertisement
Advertisement