Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
19-10-2018, 12:20   #46
dulux99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,590
To be honest, the Joe Brolly article didn't really bother me too much. When I saw Joe Brolly had written article on MMA I knew what it was going to be like.

He's not to be taken seriously, ever. I imagine there's probably a few MMA fans who read it who aren't familiar with his punditry in general, he's always been a sensationalist wind up merchant.
dulux99 is offline  
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 12:37   #47
Mean Laqueefa
Registered User
 
Mean Laqueefa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by dulux99 View Post
To be honest, the Joe Brolly article didn't really bother me too much. When I saw Joe Brolly had written article on MMA I knew what it was going to be like.

He's not to be taken seriously, ever. I imagine there's probably a few MMA fans who read it who aren't familiar with his punditry in general, he's always been a sensationalist wind up merchant.
Ive always known what Brolly is but it still angers me.

People say Conors antics, the post fight brawl, the pre fight verbals etc: set the sport back.

Id argue that the likes of Brolly and McKenna lumping everyone into the same crowd will set the sport back and only in Ireland. There are still people who respect idiots like them and would shelter the children from i what would be a learning experience in a martial art that with dedication could be a career.

Dunphy also knows what he is doing, but that mans days of sniff and lilly bordellos benders wasnt spoken about till he mentions it as a badge of honor as and when he see's fit.

This post was brought to you by Tesco finest, cause Tesco believe the finest conversations deserve the finest food

Last edited by Mean Laqueefa; 19-10-2018 at 12:42.
Mean Laqueefa is offline  
19-10-2018, 17:42   #48
Outlaw Pete
Registered User
 
Outlaw Pete's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 7,531
Outlaw Pete is offline  
19-10-2018, 18:22   #49
chrisbonnie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw Pete View Post
I don't ever remember the mcgregor cavalcade getting a police escort to the arena before. I also noticed they where checked for bombs under the car.

And dare I say, mcgregor looked completely disinterested in the dressing room. Granted, there's probably a mere 30 seconds of that footage, so I'm more than likely reading too much into it.
chrisbonnie is offline  
19-10-2018, 20:40   #50
lesliescott586
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 13
Heard Michael Bisping on Joey Diaz's podcast saying he heard Conor's whiskey is terrible. Haven't tried it myself, seems to be selling well. Anyone here know what it's like before I buy a bottle for 230?
lesliescott586 is offline  
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 20:53   #51
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 3,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by lesliescott586 View Post
Heard Michael Bisping on Joey Diaz's podcast saying he heard Conor's whiskey is terrible. Haven't tried it myself, seems to be selling well. Anyone here know what it's like before I buy a bottle for 230?
Most reviews say it's a standard 3-year old whiskey. It's not a high-end whiskey. It's whiskey for the masses - not an aged whiskey that will blow your mind with flavours and is smooth. It's only just off the market. It's not going to blow you away and it won't kill you either. But don't take my word for it, listen to people who know their whiskey:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzpv3V0jnCs&t=483s
evolving tipperary is offline  
19-10-2018, 21:00   #52
ASOT
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,857
It's selling very well I'm the airport, been sold out both times iv been there in the last month.
ASOT is offline  
19-10-2018, 21:30   #53
JJayoo
Registered User
 
JJayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,385
With whiskey, like almost everything, it's all about the target market. 95% of this whiskey will probably be drank with coke and ice in a pub/club/predrinking and for that it's A+.

It's actually gonna do very well with a younger demographic than it's whiskey competition.
JJayoo is offline  
(3) thanks from:
19-10-2018, 23:14   #54
Makikomi
Registered User
 
Makikomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 22,910
Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
When you hear a whiskey reviewer say it'll be nice as a mixer, then don't spend €35 on that whiskey.

That said I understand that €5/$5 from every case sold will go to a local charity, which is admirable so I'll eventually buy one on for that reason alone. And I suspect it'll be the last one I'll buy as I like my whiskey's and would never considering murdering one, esp at a price tag of €35 by pouring a coke over it.

Realistically €35 for a bottle of paint stripper is extortionate.
Makikomi is offline  
Advertisement
19-10-2018, 23:27   #55
JJayoo
Registered User
 
JJayoo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post

Realistically €35 for a bottle of paint stripper is extortionate.
Ya but think of the college lads all pre drinking before going out, shirts off scraping with each other, smashing up their student accommodation, Fook the deposit.
JJayoo is offline  
(3) thanks from:
20-10-2018, 08:40   #56
TerrorFirmer
Registered User
 
TerrorFirmer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 28,969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post
When you hear a whiskey reviewer say it'll be nice as a mixer, then don't spend €35 on that whiskey.

That said I understand that €5/$5 from every case sold will go to a local charity, which is admirable so I'll eventually buy one on for that reason alone. And I suspect it'll be the last one I'll buy as I like my whiskey's and would never considering murdering one, esp at a price tag of €35 by pouring a coke over it.

Realistically €35 for a bottle of paint stripper is extortionate.
I don't think its fair to call it paint stripper. That's what I'd call a €14 bottle of Tesco value whiskey.

When you put aside the people who make it painfully clear they want to smear it simply because of who's promoting it, it gets fairly OK reviews.

It is what it is - a €25 whiskey being sold for €35, but it's not terrible nor is it paint stripper......the same could be said for a few overpriced 'trendy' brands of Gin/Vodka too.

I'm not even a big whiskey fan but it irritates me when I hear people reviewing it like it's being marketed as a high-end aged whiskey.
TerrorFirmer is offline  
20-10-2018, 08:50   #57
Naos
Registered User
 
Naos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 4,098
Good name choice for a whiskey though considering it will be mainly consumed with a mixer.

"Can I have two Proper Cokes / Proper 7Ups / Proper Oranges". It's... nice and flowy.
Naos is offline  
(3) thanks from:
20-10-2018, 10:50   #58
dulux99
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post
When you hear a whiskey reviewer say it'll be nice as a mixer, then don't spend €35 on that whiskey.

That said I understand that €5/$5 from every case sold will go to a local charity, which is admirable so I'll eventually buy one on for that reason alone. And I suspect it'll be the last one I'll buy as I like my whiskey's and would never considering murdering one, esp at a price tag of €35 by pouring a coke over it.

Realistically €35 for a bottle of paint stripper is extortionate.
If you're reading reviews of whiskey then this is not the whiskey for you full stop. It was never going to be for the whiskey connoisseurs. It's for the college demographic wanting to look cool in pictures with the bottle.
dulux99 is offline  
20-10-2018, 17:38   #59
Makikomi
Registered User
 
Makikomi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 22,910
Send a message via MSN to Makikomi
Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorFirmer View Post
I don't think its fair to call it paint stripper. That's what I'd call a €14 bottle of Tesco value whiskey.
At least they're honest with their product.

I drink Lidl's & Aldi's spirits so I'm hardly a snob. When I shop in Tesco's I'll buy Jameson or Powers, they're a decent and well established whiskey so I'm fvcked if I'll pay an extra €10 for Proper 12.

But then I'm not the Tapout wearing UFC/CmcG fanboy its aimed it.

Right, I'm off out for a bottle of Lidl's Shiraz wine for €5:50

*** Late edit

Lidl's Shiraz is on special for €4:99 this evening lol

Last edited by Makikomi; 20-10-2018 at 19:45.
Makikomi is offline  
20-10-2018, 21:17   #60
cletus
Registered User
 
cletus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by Makikomi View Post
At least they're honest with their product.

I drink Lidl's & Aldi's spirits so I'm hardly a snob. When I shop in Tesco's I'll buy Jameson or Powers, they're a decent and well established whiskey so I'm fvcked if I'll pay an extra €10 for Proper 12.

But then I'm not the Tapout wearing UFC/CmcG fanboy its aimed it.

Right, I'm off out for a bottle of Lidl's Shiraz wine for €5:50

*** Late edit

Lidl's Shiraz is on special for €4:99 this evening lol
I think its been established a number of times on this thread that the whiskey is a three year old Bushmills. Hardly turpentine
cletus is online now  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search