Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Limerick GAA Discussion Part 2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

I check xcweather for the forecast and that doesn't look great, hopefully its wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,725 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Terrific score by Hegarty…..no denying that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

well done today lads enjoy these days lads ye deserve them more then most counties ,

great day in thurles craic was mighty , if you want to know how disappointed we are tonight , think of that neill back for Leicester moment in the European cup final in 2002 ,

not that we were robbed but like munster that day our performance today would have won several munster finals,

byrnes ,tony kelly , and barry nash are the players in the running for hurler of the year , i was actually put out that nash didnt get man of the match he was fantastic today, so was sean finn , flannagan is some man also he seems a character he dosnt get anywhere near the praise he deserves , he probably was the difference today

i always mention 2013 and declan hannon and how far he has lifted himself fromthat bad semi final against us , he took it hard for a few years after , but its great to see him enjoying such success now he is some leader to be fair ,and like yourselves he deserves all this success well done ,

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Greasy Paw

Thanks for those kind comments WSH. I have to say we were in the midst of a good few Clare supporters yesterday and they were, as ever, to a man, very gracious in defeat. Clare have a very fine team and all agree it was a tremendous game yesterday. In ordinary time it could have gone either way. TK was outstanding but several of his teammates played very well also. Seamus Flanagan was indeed exceptional again yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Quitelife

Fabolous occasion in Thurles yesterday , huge crowd , great game and the right result from Limerick point of view .

Some athmosphere around Thurles with friendly banter , trains were packed from limerick to thurles , a great day to be alive , roll on Croke park and all ireland semi final !!

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

Definitely in favour of this 'Barry Nash for hurler of the year' talk as I've him backed at 66/1 ....hard to see Kelly not winning it though....not sure I've ever seen a better player.

I was at both provincial finals last weekend and, leaving aside the standard of the games there was a massive contrast between the two in terms of occassions. The Leinster final suffered from being in Croke Park. No more than 20-22 thousand there I'd guess, and a poor atmosphere overall. A lot of people more interested in going in and out for drinks than watching the match....coming back from half time 10 minutes into the second half etc.....the number of times I had to stand up to let people past....🙄

Total contrast with thurles on Sunday....fevered atmosphere in a full house....and just a fantastic occassion overall. Thank god for the Munster hurling championship.

A Limerick v Clare all ireland final looks a distinct possibly and if it does work out that way, you can be fairly sure it'll go down to the wire........as they say in racing, there is no more than the width of a cigarette paper between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Think I read there was 31k in Croke Park, seemed like less on TV, i reckon very few Antrim and Kerry supporters bringing young children stayed for the Leinster final.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

That was a titanic battle on Sunday. It's a game we probably would have lost a few years ago but we have definitely become a team that knows how to win. Clare played very well and had a good plan. We struggled on their puckouts again. Their forwards worked really hard when we tried coming out. We used a lot of long ball to good enough effeflct I thought. Conditions were hard and we just never reacted to anything really. Some achievement to win four Munster titles in a row. I thought winning one 9 years ago was unbelievable!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭lim4ev

so it's limerick v galway in the semi what's the thinking on this? yesterday's qfs were brutal.

you'd have to fancy us v galway or is that dangerous talk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,027 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

We should be able to win it without ever getting into a panic. In fairness if we can win this by a few points we have no business being in an All Ireland final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Yes it is dangerous talk. Dangerous in the extreme. Galway will love Croke Park. They WILL perform there.

Always remember 2019, when we won Munster in a canter and what happened 4 weeks later in Croker.

This game is the reason Henry went to Galway, to win games like these. If Galway beat us they will win the A.I.

We need both Lynch and Casey back if we have any visions of a 3 in a row. Simple as.!!

We are still favourites even with Lynch and Casey out there is no "simple as" there. Galway or any other team "loving Croke Park is only pub talk. They didn't love Croke Park when Kilkenny took them apart a few weeks ago without playing that well themselves.

Shefflin is an untested intercounty manager not some big name brought in to win All Irelands. His record is almost identical to O'Neill but we all have to pretend it's different this time because he was a great player.

We are a different team to 2019 too and should rightly be going expecting a win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,839 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Honestly can see Limerick putting up 5-20 or something against Galway

They’ll put a massive score up, probably without conceding a goal

• Registered Users Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭High bike

I think Limericks biggest problem is the 4 weeks without a match.Eventhough Galway struggled yesterday and prob should have been beaten I'd expect them to improve a fair bit for the match.Think Limerick will win but it could be a lot closer than people think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Cork ran through Galway yesterday..brutal finishing scuppered them. If Galway improve 25% then yes they will trouble Limerick. If Finn and Casey hold Whelhan then there's no chance of a Galway win. The rustiness will certainly be a factor for Limerick but you have to make them strong favourites.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

Yes you would have to make us strong favourites but again galwaywill need to be respected and I am sure they will be.

Anyone any updates on the injury situation

This is the most important thing, surely?

Anyone worked out the decline in our scoring chances since Lynch was injured? No co-incidence.

Course, even if they both are 'fit' for the Galway match, can they really be fit enough for an All Ireland semi-final having missed so many games?

This is just a hunch and I have no form of insider info but I don't think we will see Lynch again this year.

They wouldn't be ready to start anyway but be nice subs to have for last 15/20 maybe

• Advertisement

Jesus I hope ur wrong,it's being kept very quiet anyway whatever the story is

If Lynch is fit, he has to start, imo. You just can't replicate what he can bring to a side.

Then again, I do see the argument that having him for the last 25 mins when there's more space on the pitch though... the subs Clare brought on yesterday absolutely changed the game for them... honestly, wouldn't like to be Kiely having to make those calls..

I'd say he'd love to have that headache now,a full panel to pick from

What's the story with Pat Ryan,is on or off the panel

Problem is there is fit and there is fit. Too many times in sport we have sent players brought back only to quickly have the injury pop again. That might be the difference between a start and bringing someone on against a tired field late on.

Can't see JK making that mistake if they're not 100% they won't play

I agree. I think it's helped by the fact that we are not a "1 man show" . Some teams would be desperate to get a 2 time HOTY back but as things stand we are not in that situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,117 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

what are cian lynch's chances of playing the next day , is he anywhere near full fitness ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭einn32

I don't think Lynch will be available. Casey might be. If Casey is available what do you do with Kyle Hayes? I think we have matured since 2019. I still think it will be tight without Lynch. Most teams raise their game against the current champions especially chasing 3 in a row. Similar approach from Galway to the league game I reckon. They were well up for it that day. Another physical match. Hopefully we get off the blocks quickly .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,714 ✭✭✭Cartman78

Slightly off topic but looking for some parking advice for Croke Park on Sunday (I'm a Mayo native based in Limerick 20+ years)...

Would ye recommend parking at the Red Cow and getting the Luas in?

I was up at the League Final a few weeks ago and parked in city centre but even with a smallish crowd that day, the traffic on the quays was brutal so keen to avoid that this time.

Travelling with my young fella (9 year old) so nearly feel bad for brainwashing him with Mayo football, but he's experienced plenty of success with Limerick hurling so it probably balances out 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭MfMan

It may be off your route a bit, but drive to Maynooth or Leixlip (Louisa Bridge, better parking) and get train in to Drumcondra, alighting beside McGrath's pub. Trains are frequent and station is only 10 minutes walk from CP. If parking in Leixlip, make sure to pay-and-display, as they take pleasure in clamping on Sundays of a match.

This advice is only valid if you shout for Galway on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭C4000

You could drive around the M50, come off at exit 5 (Finglas).....drive a few minutes to somewhere around Glasnevin and its a handy enough walk to Croke Park from there.

p casey is ready to play I know that for a fact. re lynch it's incredible nobody seems to know

They say no news is good news but on this case it might not be unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

I heard Lynch was back training.

so did I but then you'd hear he's crocked. I was told last week he's good but nobody seems to know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

like you all crazy for information on the injuries especially mike casey [didnt look like cramp to me],amazing how little infomation seeps out.

Big change from a few years ago when we were winning nothing and were on the front page of the papers rather than the back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭moby2101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭PeggyShippen

Doesn't say when Lynch will be back. Id say reading between the lines it won't be for the semi. Great to see Casey back.

'Mark Meldrum' ...must be Mark Melbournes cousin.

Support 🇮🇱 Israel

• Advertisement

That sounds fairly positive,if he even got 15 mins against Galway would be great and good to see the other 2 fully recovered too but would doubt they'd be asked to start

Keeps the Galway boys busy in anticipation of his impending return!

For sure and by the look of things McInerney is prob out fro them he'd be a big loss if true

If Kiely is being honest I think Cian will be on the bench and will come on to try a rescue, or just to celebrate 😁

No matter how good he is can't see him start or Casey either for that matter

I imagine it will be off the bench if we see them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

hasnt been john kielys style to parachute players back into the team, the player on the team is in pole position unless he does something wrong,remember how he built the panel in the first place by not bringing on the county champs players when they were finished with the club championship,some off them never really got back on the team but it showed other lads its not your name or club but what you do that counts

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭slegs

If Cian is fully fit he will start I would be pretty sure of that...only reason to hold him back is if they think he may not be fully ready

Fully fit and match ready are different though. Better to hope that there is a good time in the match to get him back to speed. Like if we are a few points up and in control.

Couldn't see either Lynch or Casey starting after being out so long,if they get 15/20 mins in the 2nd half would be great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Agree. You can't replicate match intensity in training. He will come on as a sub at best. Likewise for Casey.

• Advertisement
Advertisement