Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Monaghan GAA Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Colinf1212 wrote: »
    But Tyrone were by far the better team throughout the entire game? They cruised throughout the entire match. I watched it in the stands and had big money on it. Bit contradictory.

Was there ever a period in the game Monaghan looked threatening?

I said that, we were beaten, fair enough...no excuse for the cynicism though. Horrible attitude to the game in Tyrone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,478 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Jayop wrote: »
    Hard luck lads. Yes just couldn't get the attack going and despite some amazing scores he let us get points too easily.

Still Ulster champs is probably more than we'll end up with this year.

We Just didnt take ( or shoot for) our long range points in the first half. There was ample opportunity . Once it was 3 pts it was game over.
    Surprised because that long range shooting from our backs was a strong point i was counting on :(

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

Mickey Harte said in the interview afterwards that Tyrone did everything they could within the rules to win the match.

If what went on in the last 20 minutes is in the rules then we need new rules.

From a dubs supporter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

cjmc wrote: »
    We Just didnt take ( or shoot for) our long range points

That's the bit that kills me, Hughes and Kelly took great points but never tried again. I would rather see them miss than the faffing about trying to get into dead sitter range.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭edgecutter

tapfit2004 wrote: »
    Mickey Harte said in the interview afterwards that Tyrone did everything they could within the rules to win the match.

If what went on in the last 20 minutes is in the rules then we need new rules.

From a dubs supporter.

Far too many stoppages to get any momentum for Monaghan today, but Tyrone have the experience of knowing what they can get away with. The feigning of injuries and laying down on the ground needs to be eradicated perhaps by stopping the clock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭tapfit2004

edgecutter wrote: »
    Far too many stoppages to get any momentum for Monaghan today, but Tyrone have the experience of knowing what they can get away with. The feigning of injuries and laying down on the ground needs to be eradicated perhaps by stopping the clock.

Or maybe a black card for diving. If there was today Tyrone would have been down a few bodies.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    That's the bit that kills me, Hughes and Kelly took great points but never tried again. I would rather see them miss than the faffing about trying to get into dead sitter range.

Exactly !!
    There were chances in the first half especially to take points. And plenty of players well able to take them from 40 meters
    Looking back i suppose we played to
    the system more than playing football.
    It allowed a gap to open up and once that happened it we needed a lucky spell/ break to pull them back.
    Ah well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

But Tyrone were by far the better team throughout the entire game? They cruised throughout the entire match. I watched it in the stands and had big money on it. Bit contradictory.

Was there ever a period in the game Monaghan looked threatening?[/q

Just back from match. Very disappointing from Monaghan. Didn't threaten at all. Thought we had a great defence in the past but in fairness Tyrone penetrated it well. Where was our sweeper system?Missed some easy scores in 1st half which were costly. Tyrone had the better pace over all. Was on the hill for the game. I must say Tyrone supporters are the worst shower of supporters I have met. I supported yee in 2003, 2005, 2008 but I'm sad to say I'll be shouting for Kerry in the semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭Colinf1212

physioman wrote: »
    Just back from match. Very disappointing from Monaghan. Didn't threaten at all. Thought we had a great defence in the past but in fairness Tyrone penetrated it well. Where was our sweeper system?Missed some easy scores in 1st half which were costly. Tyrone had the better pace over all. Was on the hill for the game. I must say Tyrone supporters are the worst shower of supporters I have met. I supported yee in 2003, 2005, 2008 but I'm sad to say I'll be shouting for Kerry in the semi final.

So why exactly are Tyrone supporters so bad? They are louder than others but I've never seen them create any bother and I've been going to games since I was a kid. Unless you are referring to my comments in which I was being defensive towards unnecessary hatred (in my mind) against Tyrone. I never heard any complaining from neutrals or Monaghan fans about how Tyrone were playing in Croke Park today, so coming here and reading all this was a surprise.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Junior D

So why exactly are Tyrone supporters so bad? They are louder than others but I've never seen them create any bother and I've been going to games since I was a kid. Unless you are referring to my comments in which I was being defensive towards unnecessary hatred (in my mind) against Tyrone. I never heard any complaining from neutrals or Monaghan fans about how Tyrone were playing in Croke Park today, so coming here and reading all this was a surprise.

I was watching the game at home today as a neutral. Have to say neither team covered themselves in glory, but in all honesty some of the Tyrone Players need to have a long hard look at themselves. They were the better team and there was no need for the way so of them carried on.

There were loads of incidents, especially coming towards the end of the game, but ones which stick out are Niall Morgan acting the hard man in the first half, Sean Kavanagh crumbling under a slight touch from McManus and needless to say what Tiernan McCann did. But especially McCann. I cannot descirbe how genuinely disgusted I am at what he did, it was disgraceful. He should get a ban for that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭RoyalCelt

What's monaghans over all quarter final record for the all Ireland series?

RoyalCelt wrote: »

Think we've never won a qf

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

First things first, the better side won on the day. I was saying all week that a kick of a ball would be the difference but Monaghan were flattered by the result. Tyrone got through our blanket defence with ease in the first half and we were lucky to be only 2 points behind at half time. There has been people on bemoaning the fact that we didn't take more shots from distance and we probably should have but for the only reason being that we had absolutely no other option. We had no penetration and fell for the 3 mistakes we made 2 years ago. We kick passed too much into Kieran Hughes whose marker broke the ball and Tyrone collected easy possession. We allowed Tyrone too many easy kick outs by failing to push up and we played our second sweeper too deep against a team that rarely kicks into their full forward line.
    Every thing was going well for Monaghan in terms of things outside their control. Joe McMahon going off was a boost, the black card for the Tyrone player was a joke, I couldn't believe that decision. And Sean Cavanagh had a yellow card by half time which would mean he couldn't play the same role in the 2nd half.
    The sad thing is that this defeat was more emphatic (not just on the scoreboard) than 2 years ago so where are we going? I'd say Paul, Dick and Owen are definitely going to retire. Maybe Vinny too.
    But you have to give credit to Mickey Harte. He got it tactically right again. There's rumours that the powers that be in Tyrone want rid of him, they'll have some job getting that done now.
    In relation to the diving, it was an absolute disgrace and Marty Duffy (who had an ok game) is going to have to have a look at the umpires he is bringing to games. For a player to go down in the manner McCann did it would have to have been an absolute haymaker of a thump and they don't happen anymore because players are too cute.I'm not sure the GAA have a rule about bringing the game into disrepute but if they do they should be using it here.
    Also we need to toughen the black card laws when a game enters the last 10 minutes.
    But, the best team won and with the way Ulster is shaping, Tyrone could be the team for a couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Magill46

RoyalCelt wrote: »

We've played 4 and lost 4.
    Kerry 07,
    Tyrone 13,
    Dublin 14
    Tyrone 15

Kerry 08 was a Round 3 qualifier.Kildare 10 was Round 4 qualifier
    We've also been knocked out of 2 quarter finals (13 and 15) without conceding a goal in the whole championship and in both cases only scored one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Thought ye would be interested to know that your ex county goalkeeper Shane Duffy won the Meath Intermediate Football Championship with Ratoath today.

Well , we got drawn against down in the qf then antrim/ fermanagh / donegal in sf if we make it.
    Not a bad draw.
    Down are beatable while youd assume donegal would be sf oppenents if we do get there.
    Wouldnt have minded getting tyrone in the qf though

Well we had 3 teams in the ulster club semi's
    Scotown won
    Doohamlet beat
    Rockcorry won

2 out of 3 aint bad i suppose
    Scotstown v cross in the senior final

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

How ya think we will fare this year people .any new faces

mono_mac wrote: »
    How ya think we will fare this year people .any new faces

Not sure but didnt spot too many new faces on todays team.
    The mckenna cup didnt go great so whether we'll see many new players this champioship im not too sure

• Advertisement

So monaghan v cork in pairc ui rinn.
    4000 approx attendance and according to rado coverage over 2000 were from monaghan ???
    I thumbed the length of the country watching monaghan but thats some stat if accurate.
    Didnt help the result tho (;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,814 ✭✭✭windy shepard henderson

So monaghan v cork in pairc ui rinn.
    4000 approx attendance and according to rado coverage over 2000 were from monaghan ???
    I thumbed the length of the country watching monaghan but thats some stat if accurate.
    Didnt help the result tho (;

sounds accurate , a lot of cork people only jump on the football bandwagon late on in the championship , most cork gaa people see there county as a hurling county ..... and nothing else , i realized this talking to a few cork supporters at the 2013 all ireland hurling final where i mentioned corks football win in 2010, it was regarded as a secondary prize to the cork folk sitting beside me that day....:rolleyes: , a bit like a frank and walters tribute band.....

most cork football supporters come from west or north cork many areas are over an hour drive to the city , personally i think they would get bigger attendances in mallow in the north of the county , the difference in attendances between hurling and football is poles apart in paric ui rinn, at times

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Good crowd from monaghan alright. Disappointing result though. Cork started well and had their spare man around the middle winning all their kick outs. Once malachy sorted that monaghan gathered a bit of momentum. Good opportunist goal and excellent point from the right from conor mcmanus.

Unfortunately i don't think we have learnt much from last year. Still an overreliance on mcmanus, lots of kickable scoring opportunities but no other forward taking them on. Not sure why this is but maybe the game plan. It needs to be tweaked. Surely the other forwards should be practising kicking in training.
    Midfield poor today.
    Surprisingly conor mcmanus missed alot of kickable frees. The majority of them were from the 45 so maybe its just outside his range. Need to decide that rory beggan should take all the frees from 38m plus and work on that.

Going to be difficult to see where we go from here. We can compete with the best but find it difficult to beat countrys top 5. Kerry next in clones so we need the 2 points

sounds accurate , a lot of cork people only jump on the football bandwagon late on in the championship , most cork gaa people see there county as a hurling county ..... and nothing else , i realized this talking to a few cork supporters at the 2013 all ireland hurling final where i mentioned corks football win in 2010, it was regarded as a secondary prize to the cork folk sitting beside me that day....:rolleyes: , a bit like a frank and walters tribute band.....

most cork football supporters come from west or north cork many areas are over an hour drive to the city , personally i think they would get bigger attendances in mallow in the north of the county , the difference in attendances between hurling and football is poles apart in paric ui rinn, at times
    Oh i know , i worked in cork and only the skib and west cork menn and women showed interest in footbal ( unless it was september !)
    They maybe should think about moving the footbal games to another venue.
    But 2000 from monaghan is serious travelling support, maybe a st patricks week break as well but all the same !

Oh i know , i worked in cork and only the skib and west cork menn and women showed interest in footbal ( unless it was september !)
    They maybe should think about moving the footbal games to another venue.
    But 2000 from monaghan is serious travelling support, maybe a st patricks week break as well but all the same !

yeah serious trek for the monaghan supporters , but it is a sign of the times and regardless of all the talk of mcmanus running the show , monaghan are a top 5/6 team in the country , won 2 of the last 3 ulster championships , i know there are many long suffering supporters up your way that have been waiting years to be in this position , i actually noticed this in the first game of the league back in late january on roscommon where support was'nt far off 50/50 that day too

yeah serious trek for the monaghan supporters , but it is a sign of the times and regardless of all the talk of mcmanus running the show , monaghan are a top 5/6 team in the country , won 2 of the last 3 ulster championships , i know there are many long suffering supporters up your way that have been waiting years to be in this position , i actually noticed this in the first game of the league back in late january on roscommon where support was'nt far off 50/50 that day too

yeah , A bit of sucess can do wonders for support and getting young fellas into the sport.
    I am getting worried that no-one from the forwards/ midfield are stepping up to spread the scoring and take the sole burden off McManus.
    It will bite us come champioship time.

Good win over donegal. Div 1 secured for next year.
    Started slow but came back well.
    Some strange. (non) decisions from both the ref and umpires .

Good win over donegal. Div 1 secured for next year.
    Started slow but came back well.
    Some strange. (non) decisions from both the ref and umpires .

great win in the end slightly lucky ,but overall ye did not deserve to go down seemed like a great atmosphere in castleblaney ,cavan's promotion should make next years league that little bit more interesting ;)

great win in the end slightly lucky ,but overall ye did not deserve to go down seemed like a great atmosphere in castleblaney ,cavan's promotion should make next years league that little bit more interesting ;)

yep, in last few minutes the atmosphere was really good, though tense.
    Cavan will add that bit of spice alright next year.
    Surprised slightly with the win , with time nearly up it looked like we'd fall short of the win we needed but the team showed fight to sneak it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Congrats on the U21 win tonight lads. Hopefully you can go on the whole way now and do the All-Ireland for Ulster!!!

Advertisement