Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Monaghan GAA Thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,550 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Scraped through. Phew

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,965 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Happy with Armagh. We need a big game to get us up to speed this year...or bust.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Man With No Name

Happy with Armagh. We need a big game to get us up to speed this year...or bust.

Are we playing in Clones?

Are we playing in Clones?

Yes...probably Sat week?

I would have preferred a handier game. I know it’s sh1t or bust at this stage but would still have liked a easier game in the hope we’d find some form.

Well ll beat yesterday. ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭mono_mac

Ah we need a new start

cjmc wrote: »
    We’ll beat yesterday. ;(

With the resources we have, we just couldn't keep it going. This was coming.
    A long break will do no harm in the long run imo. Sorry to see Malachy go but didn't expect him to stay either. He knows new blood is needed.

With the resources we have, we just couldn't keep it going. This was coming.
    A long break will do no harm in the long run imo. Sorry to see Malachy go but didn't expect him to stay either. He knows new blood is needed.

True. A lot of miles on the clock for a lot of the team /panel. They gave some good days out. !

• Advertisement

I don't believe we are finished ,there is a good backbone there and we will return stronger and better

mono_mac wrote: »
    I don't believe we are finished ,there is a good backbone there and we will return stronger and better

And 2 good minor teams these last 2 years to come through .

These stories that Banty and Rory Gallagher are in contention for the job are deeply worrying. What a regressive step that would be.

Whatever about Banty, Gallagher is a spoofer

It must be April fools again

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Where is the sense of going back to Banty, surely their county board weren't left scrape the barrel?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Where is the sense of going back to Banty, surely their county board weren't left scrape the barrel?

Terrible decision. What a step backwards.

Step back or not, banty is back at the helm. I honestly don't think it's a terrible appointment, but we'll see. Who else is there ?

Step back or not, banty is back at the helm. I honestly don't think it's a terrible appointment, but we'll see. Who else is there ?

His first few results would want to be good. If we regress it will be his fault, whether it is or not.

Look forward to the bants about Banty. :)

Well not too bad in the first 3 games. Beat Tyrone should have beaten Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Great stuff so far.

In no way trying to be patronising but you guys box way above your weight when account is taken of your population.

Beggan and Mc Manus are exceptional talents.Throw in great servants like the Wylies,Hughes and Mc Carthy.

Great effort on Saturday night.

We'll have our work cut for us getting anything out on Clones on current form.

• Advertisement

Spoke to a player there before the Dublin game and he was mega excited about the backroom team Banty had put together.

I'm nervous about the second coming of the banty, but he can certainly produce a spark in the team.

Very impressed with the set up and organisation on Saturday night. But we really need to work on closing out games. A lot of naivety still.

Is the game tomorrow still definitely going ahead.? Will Storm Jorge be gone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,290 ✭✭✭tanko

Is the game tomorrow still definitely going ahead.? Will Storm Jorge be gone?

If the pitch is playable, the game will go ahead i'd say.

tanko wrote: »
    If the pitch is playable, the game will go ahead i'd say.

It was obviously only playable by one side. :(

It was obviously only playable by one side. :(

That Beggan was gonna get caught out was coming for a while. Ridiculous distance to be away from goal.
    Not our day, shades of the old Banty the way we were playing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

That Beggan was gonna get caught out was coming for a while. Ridiculous distance to be away from goal.
    Not our day, shades of the old Banty the way we were playing.

We were due an off day. Wouldn't be too concerned. Weather being poor and away from home didn't help. Think we will stay up and hopefully give Kerry a run for it. Focus should be on trying as many players before the Cavan game.

Am I right in thinking that all we need is for Mayo to drop a point to guarantee div 1 ?

Am I right in thinking that all we need is for Mayo to drop a point to guarantee div 1 ?

We are on 5, Mayo are on 3 with 4 remaining points available.

Mayo have Galway and Tyrone left
    Donegal have Kerry and Tyrone
    And we have Kerry and Meath

What position are the county championship in , are they being played?

I’m disappointed not to beat Meath ( because they’re Meath) but division 1 secured I believe.

• Advertisement

cj maxx wrote: »
    I’m disappointed not to beat Meath ( because they’re Meath) but division 1 secured I believe.

Yes. By the skin of our teeth. But I reckon a lot of saving for next week going on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Cavan_King

Yes. By the skin of our teeth. But I reckon a lot of saving for next week going on.

Going on our recent performances, yas won’t need to save much for us!

Cavan_King wrote: »
    Going on our recent performances, yas won’t need to save much for us!

Championship. Different ballgame.

Thats completely down to Banty. Strange appointment and the wrong one. Tried to sit on the game and lost it.
    Hopefully that is the end of him.

Thats completely down to Banty. Strange appointment and the wrong one. Tried to sit on the game and lost it.

A lot of that Monaghan team have a lot of mileage on the clock now.

I thought the ref was very favourable to yas throughout as well today.

There is that about some of the team. But the big issue is the management, Banty had the same system last time.
    Never should have gotten the job. Threw that game to Cavan who might not even get past Antrim in fairness.

There is that about some of the team. But the big issue is the management, Banty had the same system last time.
    Never should have gotten the job. Threw that game to Cavan who might not even get past Antrim in fairness.

Bit of sour grapes there. There’s very little between Cavan & Monaghan. A lot of people seem to be forgetting we spent 2 of the last 4 years in Division 1 after our relegation to Division 3.

Bit of sour grapes there. There’s very little between Cavan & Monaghan. A lot of people seem to be forgetting we spent 2 of the last 4 years in Division 1 after our relegation to Division 3.

No sour grapes at all. Monaghan may have struggled against Antrim too. We have no consistency under Banty. Nor do Cavan have it either.

There game management and game mismanagement. Today was the latter , obviously.
    Awful call to try to see the game out with a half still to go. Neither team would beat Armagh or Down any way

• Advertisement

There game management and game mismanagement. Today was the latter , obviously.
    Awful call to try to see the game out with a half still to go. Neither team would beat Armagh or Down any way

Armagh are on the other side of the draw.

I wouldn’t write a team off based on one game. There’s plenty of improvement in Cavan. We were missing a number of lads today - Stephen Murray, Conor Brady, Conor Madden & Conor Smith to name four.

All of those would be expected to start if fit and available.

Cormac O’Reilly, Stephen Smith, Luke Fortune, Evan Doughty, Cormac Timoney, Thomas Edward Donohoe & Oisin Brady all only made their championship debuts today.

Great to see youth coming through and Cavan only had two players over 30 in their squad - Martin Reilly & Raymond Galligan.

Monaghan might have another few lads retire now.

Armagh are on the other side of the draw.

True , for some reason I thought Armagh played Down next , winners facing Cavan//Fermanagh.
    Ah heads all over the place :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

I have been saying it for 10yrs plus that Banty is nothing but a total chancer..

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gav86

Any videos of the Chris McGuinness sending off? Few calls a bit iffy is right, think Cavan should have had a 45 in the first half and maybe a McAnespie point was a bit tight.. Hard to blame that on the ref, he is going by the umpire..

Not too sure what to make of the tactics, if it worked we might be applauding Banty! Against that wind if a team is going to sit back and you have the lead, why not play it back and forth? McManus missed 3 big chances at the end of 2nd half that he would usually nail! If he gets them maybe its a different story! Not sure why Beggan didnt take that last free as he went to score one from there in extra time!

Fair play to Cavan they hit some big scores in the last 20 mins and got the goal in extra time!

Couldn't watch the game today but heard McManus and someone else got injured. Who was the other ? And are they bad injuries?

Couldn't watch the game today but heard McManus and someone else got injured. Who was the other ? And are they bad injuries?

Darren Hughes.

Wasn't at it but was chatting to an official coming out of the pitch there, he seemed to think they'll be fine.

Good to have that one done.

• Advertisement

Needless to say the win today pales in comparison what happened last. Rip Brendan óg Duffy

No point trying to make sense of it, because it never will make sense. RIP Brendan Óg

Shite weekend , losing to Tyrone in CP again.

Any Monaghan people there?

Banty is incapable of of directing things once a game starts, Has always been his Achilles ankle. Well up in the first half, squanders the second. Frustrating,

• Advertisement
Advertisement