Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New York Jets Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭corner back 2

hots wrote: »
    2 now with an UDFA signing:o

Haha read that the main reason he is a UDFA is that he had problems snapping the ball at USC!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭hots

Haha read that the main reason he is a UDFA is that he had problems snapping the ball at USC!!
    ah ffs! :pac: We may well end up trotting out a long snapper at some point, when you think about it that game with Long's broken fingers last year was such a joke, completely risked Sam's health never mind giving a rookie a chance to actually play ball like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭franglan

Anyone got Nick Mangold's number still? "How's the ankle these days Nick..."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Chirst!!

They must be really high on Harrison, given that they apparently made no effort to sign either of the top centres in FA and then not addressing it in the draft either.
    Going off Harrison's play last year this would really worry me

phatkev wrote: »
    Chirst!!

They must be really high on Harrison, given that they apparently made no effort to sign either of the top centres in FA and then not addressing it in the draft either.
    Going off Harrison's play last year this would really worry me

I reckon the weird pick where we traded our 7th to move up a spot was to grab the centre then but I think he was taken straight before. I think there's one still a free agent too right? If Harrison takes a knock at all we're stuffed, would love to know who'd step up then.

• Advertisement

I reckon the weird pick where we traded our 7th to move up a spot was to grab the centre then but I think he was taken straight before. I think there's one still a free agent too right? If Harrison takes a knock at all we're stuffed, would love to know who'd step up then.

Paridas and Morse would have been the top two and they ended up with the Panthers and the Bills, Wisniewski is still a FA but I dont know if he be starting caliber. Other than that its older guys like John Sullivan who was apparently pretty awful last year

Macc sacked and replaced by Gase!!! I was no way a fan of macc and thought he should have been thrown out along with bowles, but I can't see going with Gase will be any better

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Something bad must have happened because otherwise it's absolutely bizarre timing.

Well that came out of nowhere?! Were the draft day rumours true then? Macc was no world-beater by any stretch of the imagination but he's been competent enough to see out the year I would have thought. Or if not why not kill him with Bowles?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,033 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Hold my beer moment just when you think the Giants are going to be NYC joke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ah now we have plenty of rope for the season to come to still be the NYC joke

Very strange timing to fire your GM

I wonder what went on in the background

Yep straight to twitter to see what the rumours are! The dust hasn't even settled since the draft - strange timing. Don't give it to Gase - he's enough on the training field to concentrate on and he's not Bill is he!

franglan wrote: »
    Yep straight to twitter to see what the rumours are! The dust hasn't even settled since the draft - strange timing. Don't give it to Gase - he's enough on the training field to concentrate on and he's not Bill is he!

I'm hoping it's a very 'interim' interim position anyway.

Think Macc drafted players such as Williams and Darnold that he couldn't miss on in the first round, they fell to him. Outside of that later round picks (even some 2nd and 3rds) just worked out below average. Jets didn't even get squad players from some mid room picks. Fairly uninspired stuff from him. What changed in the Jets organisation post Bowles departure, would have been an ideal time to go down route of new GM and HC rather than this hoch poch approach.

This is gubu stuff even for the jets. No fan of Macc but to fire him after letting him spend all your money and draft picks is stupid. Then to hand all the power to Gase who us just in the door after failing miserably with the same plan in Miami is just ridiculous. Then we hear Gase doesn't want Leveon Bell who could be the best playmaker and a major help to Sam on the roster. I thought free agency went well and first 4 picks of the draft can contribute this year. At least the season should have been let play out. Only bonus is that the obsession with D linemen might end now. Also I would say odds on Gregg Williams doesn't last the season.

the timing of it is just so bizarre, really bad look for the Johnsons! I think Gase will have quite a short shelf life in New York

• Registered Users Posts: 39,560 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I mean giving the HC full control worked well in philly when chip Kelly got it... oh wait no it didn’t and chip kelly wasn’t weird the way gase seems to be and I’m going on that really weird introductory press conference where it looked like he was seeing indoor lights for the first time.

Lots of info leaking out re free agency. Not a good sign for harmony throughout the season when the coach didn't want your two best free agents. I hope the new GM can be hired quickly to steady the ship before Gase manages to piss everyone off. If you want more reaction try the Playlikeajet podcast on turn on the jets. I have it downloaded to listen on the way to work tomorrow. They do a good mailbag at the weekends and will answer your questions.

Lots of info leaking out re free agency. Not a good sign for harmony throughout the season when the coach didn't want your two best free agents. I hope the new GM can be hired quickly to steady the ship before Gase manages to piss everyone off. If you want more reaction try the Playlikeajet podcast on turn on the jets. I have it downloaded to listen on the way to work tomorrow. They do a good mailbag at the weekends and will answer your questions.

I read the issue was more about the money being spent on players as opposed to the players themselves. A lot of talk on twitter linking the job to Joe Douglas who is currently a scout with the Eagles I think, and apparently him and Gase have a good relationship

Oh good, Gase's first action is to dump Lee for a 6th? That's awwwful value, we would have gotten far more from just keeping him and letting him walk, it's not like we're stacked in coverage players, I'm sure he could have been rotated in at times or even just good depth. Poor call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,037 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Oh good, Gase's first action is to dump Lee for a 6th? That's awwwful value, we would have gotten far more from just keeping him and letting him walk, it's not like we're stacked in coverage players, I'm sure he could have been rotated in at times or even just good depth. Poor call.

Yeah, Gase has free reign now. Dumping Lee? Stupid.

Really, just when the JETS had a chance to not be laughingstocks, back into it they leap. Christopher Johnson's presser had to be something, based on the summaries in today's NY Post (the only NYC paper I can read from Ireland, damn you Daily News)

Fair enough interim GM in Gase but that's a big decision. Thought Lee was serviceable last year, easily rotational if not in starting 11 more than not this season. He's thrown away for a sixth. Gase must have done some interview - he's got the keys to the franchise currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,804 ✭✭✭A Brad Maddox Guy

Igotadose wrote: »
    based on the summaries in today's NY Post (the only NYC paper I can read from Ireland, damn you Daily News)

Check if your local library offers access to Press Reader. New York Daily News is on that & membership is free.

Jets twitter blowing up overnight with two big rumours. One is that Gase is looking to trade Leveon Bell. Would be a crazy move trading away one of the most talented offensive players in the league without bill playing a down. The other is that the Jets want Peyton Manning as GM. He would clearly be a puppet for Gase and probably only a figurehead to massage Chris Johnson's ego. Most are saying they won't happen but who knows with the Jets. There is never a dull moment following this team but if either of these happen my resolve to keep following this team will be severely tested.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Guffy

Jets twitter blowing up overnight with two big rumours. One is that Gase is looking to trade Leveon Bell. Would be a crazy move trading away one of the most talented offensive players in the league without bill playing a down. The other is that the Jets want Peyton Manning as GM. He would clearly be a puppet for Gase and probably only a figurehead to massage Chris Johnson's ego. Most are saying they won't happen but who knows with the Jets. There is never a dull moment following this team but if either of these happen my resolve to keep following this team will be severely tested.

Don't know how contracts work in trades but if they can trade out of that albetros of a contract they'll be doing well

Guffy wrote: »
    Don't know how contracts work in trades but if they can trade out of that albetros of a contract they'll be doing well

Absolutely not an albatross of a contract. Jets can get out of it in two years when most of guaranteed money runs out. Why Jets fans would want to trade away one of top 5 offensive talents in the league is beyond me.

Id say the Bell rumours are just sh1t stirring from the media

Nobody seemed to have too much real intentions of signing Bell during the off season when it was just money involved can't see a team turning around now and giving up picks as well as money

phatkev wrote: »
    Id say the Bell rumours are just sh1t stirring from the media

Nobody seemed to have too much real intentions of signing Bell during the off season when it was just money involved can't see a team turning around now and giving up picks as well as money

Exactly this, just stirring when there's easy headlines to be written.

Great to see Bell at mini camp this week and all the vibes seem to be good. Only hope they don't make a mess of the GM search now. Worryingly rumours last night that the Jets seem to more concerned with saving money than picking the right candidate. Would like them to hire Adam Douglas but other candidates appear to be strong.

• Advertisement

Joe Douglas appointed as the new GM, a lot of the media seem to think its a great move for the Jets. It'll be interesting to see how the relationship between Gase and him goes

Advertisement