Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with an anti-rooter

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Is there anything worst than a begrudger taking notes?

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 15,787 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Used be a big wheel in Macra.
    Has a farming blog.
    Made front page of newspaper farming supplement.
    Appeared on Ear to the Ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Yeah. Could start another thread. Signs you're dealing with an obsessive compulsive. Fcuk me now there's a bunch of headmelters. Cop on and common sense out the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Washes out the sheds the same week the stock are turned out, sometimes does it a few times of a bad spring.
    White paint, (not whitewash now) and round up everywhere in the spring.
    All remaining hedges scalped every winter, and the roads done during the summer too.
    Beacons always going on the tractor.
    Every possible square meter of scrub is "reclaimed", roadside trees are going these years now for "safety".
    The house has to be getting bigger, and more visible from the road.
    Wears a mid length quilted/wax jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

You’d wonder are some lads just jealous all right Patsy...

But sure, tis a lockdown, lads could be doing worse than ranting away in here too :)

Now, where is that thread about a cover for 3ft square hole, must ask has he tried a pallet... :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

This fella yere all describing has a setup I want 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭minerleague

You’d wonder are some lads just jealous all right Patsy...

But sure, tis a lockdown, lads could be doing worse than ranting away in here too :)

Now, where is that thread about a cover for 3ft square hole, must ask has he tried a pallet... :)

beat u to that one, anyway these types of threads are surely not to be taken too seriously, like the best comedy an element of truth is often the most biting, thats how I see it and I know i,d be seen as a rooter but couldnt care less

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Spot on there, I nearly left the discussion group on Facebook lately over the same carry on. A local fella taking snipes at "grant farmers" and his family living off the farm assist. Lads would want to start looking at themselves before they start pointing fingers. The irony is unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭cjpm

Has taken 2 additional farms complete with their herds of cows. Has a top NZ farm manager employed on one and a Nuffield Scholar running the other. Both on 80k a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

He’s the worst type of CU#T to deal with when your rooter cattle break into his lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

Sacrolyte wrote: »
    He’s the worst type of CU#T to deal with when your rooter cattle break into his lawn.

That reminded me of this chap

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

I don't really understand this thread tbh. The lad we are poking fun of here seems to be the type that most should aspire to: running a farm efficiently actually like a business, investing and maintaining equipment and taking safety seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,269 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

I don't really understand this thread tbh. The lad we are poking fun of here seems to be the type that most should aspire to: running a farm efficiently actually like a business, investing and maintaining equipment and taking safety seriously.

I think it’s just meant as light hearted fun.

Don’t think the OP meant any offence

• Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

I think the definition of an anti rooter is misplaced by the OP. Seems to be more a “for show” farmer.

If being a Rooter is seen as a negative (largely). Then being an anti rooter should be seen as a positive then?

Examples would be to me would represent a more “organised” type of lad.....which is not easy be sometimes...

1) properly segregating waste plastic for recycling
    2) keeping a spreadsheet to track polling of calves
    3) gates are hung/rehung in a timely fashion
    4) pallets are used on the horizontal to store things rather than vertically to block things.
    5) Chains are used with carbine hooks instead of baking twine everywhere

Etc.

893bet wrote: »
    I think the definition of an anti rooter is misplaced by the OP. Seems to be more a “for show” farmer.

If being a Rooter is seen as a negative (largely). Then being an anti rooter should be seen as a positive then?

Examples would be to me would represent a more “organised” type of lad.....which is not easy be sometimes...

1) properly segregating waste plastic for recycling
    2) keeping a spreadsheet to track polling of calves
    3) gates are hung/rehung in a timely fashion
    4) pallets are used on the horizontal to store things rather than vertically to block things.
    5) Chains are used with carbine hooks instead of baking twine everywhere

Etc.

Getting all pedantic when your just trying to have a bit of craic on a thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,759 ✭✭✭893bet

Getting all pedantic when your just trying to have a bit of craic on a thread.

Exactly.

Or sniping from the ditch with out adding value could be another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

Spot on there, I nearly left the discussion group on Facebook lately over the same carry on. A local fella taking snipes at "grant farmers" and his family living off the farm assist. Lads would want to start looking at themselves before they start pointing fingers. The irony is unreal.

Would that be the same lad who was ranting about cow schemes before!? I got out of those facebook groups, way too much whinging and giving out. All that negativity isn't good for the head!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

endainoz wrote: »
    Would that be the same lad who was ranting about cow schemes before!? I got out of those facebook groups, way too much whinging and giving out. All that negativity isn't good for the head!

You know the man alright :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

They're also a hungry, unscrupulous blowhard.

• Registered Users Posts: 722 ✭✭✭French Toast

A new-ish 140hp tractor to roll, spread fert, top rushes and feed out bales :P

In all seriousness, if being anti-rooter is the opposite of what was mentioned in the rooter thread, we should all be aiming for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,733 ✭✭✭endainoz

You know the man alright :D

Ah yeah, it must be awful tough for him to look down his nose at the rest of us. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭cal naughton

Think's Larry is a great Businessman.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

on the concrete theme.
    orders enough to easily do the job and maybe a small side job like hanging a post or similar
    not only that but the hole is dug and the post left there beside it so there isnt a mad rush to not waste the concrete
    i do work for one farmer like this and is a great pleasure. he always has screeds down around something incase he get the opertunity to use the concrete. simple things like a footpath between sheds so he isnt walking in muck, or a square under each of the dozen taps in the yard

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭minerleague

long time since I laughed so much. Big thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

has a wash bay set up with powerwashers and large hole for washing the jeep and box. often with its own tank and the concrete falling into it.

has all machinery in sheds ready to go without moving a heap of crap to get it out

sussssh I put in a washbay last year but the yard is still full of scrap and very little put away :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,506 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

sussssh I put in a washbay last year but the yard is still full of scrap and very little put away :(

do you use it.

small steps anyway

893bet wrote: »
    Exactly.

Or sniping from the ditch with out adding value could be another one.

Ah now. You gone slightly off topic there Ted. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

yes the lads looking down their noses at people

• Registered Users Posts: 10,695 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

yes the lads looking down their noses at people

Much of the same, if you ask me.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Don't forget the electric gates, one for the house and the other for the farm entrance beside it. With an intercom.

I could add applied to go on Ireland's fittest family......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Advertisement