Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Signs you are dealing with an anti-rooter

Options
  • 19-01-2021 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,194 ✭✭✭

I don't usually visit this forum but did notice the rooter thread and as such I was reminded of a lad up the road who would fit the criteria to be considered as an anti-rooter. Perhaps the farming community has a better name for these fellas, if a mod knows such a name feel free to change title.

*Ag. Science degree
    *Shiny tractors and trailers with a plethora of speed limit signs on the rear
    *Has a few trucks and vans on the road emblazoned with the logo he had someone design for his farm
    *€100k+ per annum "grant haul"
    *Fully paid up Fine Gael member
    *Wife a well-to-do civil servant
    *Kids enrolled in local gaelscoil many years before they're due to attend despite neither parent having much grá for the auld teanga
    *Posh stonework entrance to the farm and gate plastered with safety notices and CCTV
    *Air to water heatpump installed in the house
    *Always attending trade shows and trying to rub shoulders with company owners
    *Blames small farmers and "backward Irish" for any problems in the industry
    *Rants about how people negatively affected by industry changes and regulation have "nobody to blame but themselves"
    *Perma-hardon for anything 'tech', 'robot' or comes from the Netherlands
    *Spouts sh1te about 'revolutionising farming in Ireland', takes on a few Woofers in order to have the pleasure of them listening to his bullsh1t
    *Eagerly awaiting any new regulations that are arriving from d'EU
    *Always on the go with some Teagasc project
    *Picture of Phil Hogan hanging in his bedroom

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Has a shiny John deere tractor mower for cutting the bit of lawn around house while the rest of us have to push a ****e 4 year old hand mower while praying you can get one last cut out of before the wheels fall off it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

NcdJd wrote: »
    Has a shiny John deere tractor mower for cutting the bit of lawn around house while the rest of us have to push a ****e 4 year old hand mower while praying you can get one last cut out of before the wheels fall off it :(

The diesel kubota with the hydraulic grass box and front weighs is where it’s at.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

The diesel kubota with the hydraulic grass box and front weighs is where it’s at.

Circular backing gate/pen for the crush dispite only having 30 animals

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I don't usually visit this forum but did notice the rooter thread and as such I was reminded of a lad up the road who would fit the criteria to be considered as an anti-rooter. Perhaps the farming community has a better name for these fellas, if a mod knows such a name feel free to change title.

*Ag. Science degree
    *Has a few trucks and vans on the road emblazoned with the logo he had someone design for his farm
    *Kids enrolled in local gaelscoil many years before they're due to attend despite neither parent having much grá for the auld teanga
    *Posh stonework entrance to the farm and gate plastered with safety notices and CCTV
    *Rants about how people negatively affected by industry changes and regulation have "nobody to blame but themselves"
    *Spouts sh1te about 'revolutionising farming in Ireland', takes on a few Woofers in order to have the pleasure of them listening to his bullsh1t

Lol excellent!

Maybe add...
    * Positive dairy farmer conference attendee.
    * Highly thought of at Irish grassland conferences (or whatever).
    *Spends waaaay to much time pontificating about creating/managing wealth etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Is currently serving a prison term, CAB seeks a taker.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Dont tick ANY of those boxes...

I think this is a good thing...

I think...

Isnt it?

:confused::)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Has pampas grass visible in front of their property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Walks around the farm with a 5 iron rather than a stick from the hedge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

My closest neighbour, he farms around 100 ac.
    Tars the roller every winter.
    Puts oil in a spray gun and blasts all machinery every winter, he has 20 year old gear that would almost pass for new.
    His 35 year old tractor never goes past half revs and gets paint every 3 years.
    Has the same bale stacker with over 15 years.
    To look at him working you'd wonder how he get anything done he's so steady, yet the next time you look its finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

doesn't that have certain significance :eek:

• Advertisement

sheesh wrote: »

Apologies. Should be in the other thread! ;):p

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Le shovelle

Yeah, I think that's a different type of rooting 😂

Drives fendt and case and prints their own calendar probably should be in here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,955 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Well ****e! i was planning putting in one of these this year :(

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭1373

*Ag. Science degree
    I know that guy , except his wife inherited a large farm and I never got into their bedroom to check the big Phil photo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,433 ✭✭✭J.O. Farmer

Didn't know that, I had to Google it. Wouldn't want to make the mistake of planting that, the wife might not be pleased.

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/pampas-grass-sales-swinging-sex-connotations-seventies-houses-front-garden-a7764796.html%3famp

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

There’s also the kind of lad with a wee bit of land like ourselves.

He’s a tradesman or self employed and continues to pour massive wad of his wages into the farm having the best of everything way beyond what would be normal or viable for a farm that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Thought it would be an auto mower at this stage.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

The same sort of lad that has a newish land cruiser, 14 foot cattle trailer, baler, wrapper and slurry tanker despite having 50 rushy acres and 10 cow's.

Is outraged the Farming & Forestry forum isn't in the Business category.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Has GPS on the tractor and uses it for slurry spreading.:rolleyes:
    Changes the official merchandise overalls if they get dirty during the day.
    Volume washer hoses everywhere around the yard
    The wife has scented candles lighting when he comes in after slurry.
    The whole yard is under one roof.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭Tileman

I half fit this category and half fit the other category. 😂 not sure what that says

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

Tileman wrote: »
    I half fit this category and half fit the other category. �� not sure what that says

Then you my friend are probably a looter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Always has the mobile phone to ear, "was just on the phone there to my accountant,bank manager,solicitor,investment manager.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

_Brian wrote: »
    There’s also the kind of lad with a wee bit of land like ourselves.

He’s a tradesman or self employed and continues to pour massive wad of his wages into the farm having the best of everything way beyond what would be normal or viable for a farm that size.

...and the neighbors hate him which is the most satisfying part....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭kk.man

Some of the above could be myself. However I don't rub pppl up about what I do or how I do it.

I like a neath and tidy set up or I'd go cracked if it wasn't. I put in the hours and don't care what the general populace think. I wish everyone well except crooks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,507 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

has a wash bay set up with powerwashers and large hole for washing the jeep and box. often with its own tank and the concrete falling into it.

has all machinery in sheds ready to go without moving a heap of crap to get it out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭amacca

kk.man wrote: »
    Some of the above could be myself. However I don't rub pppl up about what I do or how I do it.

I like a neath and tidy set up or I'd go cracked if it wasn't. I put in the hours and don't care what the general populace think. I wish everyone well except crooks.

I'm trying to work towards that so there's not something going wrong every time I turn around to try scratch myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,052 ✭✭✭Who2

Damned if you do and damned if you dont. Maybe its the lad peeping in over the hedge we should set up a thread about.
    Theres all sorts out there with all sorts of ways of doing things. Let them at it they are all right in their own way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭mayota

Who2 wrote: »
    Damned if you do and damned if you dont. Maybe its the lad peeping in over the hedge we should set up a thread about.
    Theres all sorts out there with all sorts of ways of doing things. Let them at it they are all right in their own way.

Well said.

Advertisement