Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Justice League **Spoilers from post 980 onward**

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

True enough LOL. But I still laugh everytime I see that scene with the Joker calling her beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

pixelburp wrote: »
    Oh lord, my first instinct is to casually dismiss this as mere tattle and overactive fanboy imagination, because if it were true it would effectively undermine all the arcs, journeys and themes of the batman trilogy.

Whatever about the ins and outs of just how "realistic" they were, the batman films were self-contained in a world without magic and the fantastic. If suddenly it turns out that Supes, Zod and the rest of the gang were knocking around all this time, I think it cheapens a lot of what happened to Gotham city, to the point where it all becomes a little meaningless. The battle for Gothams soul doesn't add up to much if superman could have saved them

A man jumping off roofs on wings of malleable fabric, fighting villains with pain-killer facemasks, ninja armies and fear-gas isn't fantastic!?
    Mickeroo wrote: »
    Even setting aside the fantasy/sci-fi aspects it would completely undermine the ending and Bruce's character arch over the course of the trilogy.

I'm calling bs on the rumour for that reason alone.

It might... Or it might prove what us nerds know to be a bigger truth; Bruce Wayne could never really leave Batman behind. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A man jumping off roofs on wings of malleable fabric, fighting villains with pain-killer facemasks, ninja armies and fear-gas isn't fantastic!?

Compared with Superman? Yeah, pretty much. Like I said, whatever the arguments about how 'real' Batman was, Superman and his ilk are leaps and bounds above that level. There are grades of reality in these sort of things and Superman would be the thin end of the wedge here - you're opening a door that flies in the face of what has been established.

This argument was done to death in all three Batman threads, but most of the trilogy's tech was either the kind of heightened reality / physics that exists in 99% of blockbuster cinema anyway, so not sure why people got upset about Batmans - car doors don't shield bullets, barrels don't explode when shot, space isn't noisy etc. etc. - or just technologies exaggerated from real concepts or theories. 'Science of tomorrow' sort of thing; hell we're running around with tech in our pockets that would make the 1980s blush.

Nolan was fairly careful to make sure most of the ideas fit within the confines of the world he set it all in. If they suddenly turned around and said "well actually, magic exists. So too aliens with superpowers", suspension of disbelief goes out the window imo.

So to me, a guy wearing a gasmask, amped up on painkillers is infinitely more believable than a super powered alien with laser-beam eyes. It shouldn't really need saying tbh :) And considering most of Hollywood can't portray the humble PC without presenting it as some ever-bleeping box of magic tricks, Batman was as realistic a blockbuster as you're ever likely to get!

Compared with Superman? Yeah, pretty much. Like I said, whatever the arguments about how 'real' Batman was, Superman and his ilk are leaps and bounds above that level. There are grades of reality in these sort of things and Superman would be the thin end of the wedge here - you're opening a door that flies in the face of what has been established.
    Nolan was fairly careful to make sure most of the ideas fit within the confines of the world he set it all in. If they suddenly turned around and said "well actually, magic exists. So too aliens with superpowers", suspension of disbelief goes out the window imo.

I would argue this tbh. It's never actively established in any part of the trilogy that the wider DC universe doesn't exist/isn't a possibility. Same with the Burton Batmans etc. Not referred to, certainly. But never explicitly stated, and that gives room for it to be brought in. Also, I'm not arguing that Superman is more of a stretch of the imagination but to say that Nolan's trilogy exists without being fantastic is a stretch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Nolans Batman is on par with 007 movies in terms of realism - while not in any way realistic, they're in a grounded 'present day' universe.

Having people with superpowers pop into the current Batman universe makes as much sense to me as the same appearing in a bond movie.

Only reason I call BS on it is that it would surely conflict with any new standalone Batman movies - can't see Bale staring in the new Batman trilogy being made after JL.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I would argue this tbh. It's never actively established in any part of the trilogy that the wider DC universe doesn't exist/isn't a possibility. Same with the Burton Batmans etc. Not referred to, certainly. But never explicitly stated, and that gives room for it to be brought in. Also, I'm not arguing that Superman is more of a stretch of the imagination but to say that Nolan's trilogy exists without being fantastic is a stretch.

Well 'fantastic' purely in the sense of something containing fantasy - ie, magic, mysticism, flying superheroes; not in the sense of how easily or otherwise you're able to forgive a little speculative science-fiction :) I think the Bond comparison above works well to describe what the new trilogy is, realism-wise

As for the DC universe links, I think it's sufficiently established by the implied trajectory of the 3 films & the manner in which they were adapted from the comics. Everything was downplayed and dialed right back from their comic equivalents - the villains, Bane in particular, were a good example of this - and the absence of the more outlandish creatures such as Killer Croc or Clayface made it fairly clear we weren't watching a world of superhumans.

And I hope it stays that way - Nolans Batman showed you don't have to indulge in the more fanciful comic stylings to stay true to its story; it'd be a shame if all that deliberate work was negated by a man in red underpants flying around the world this particular Gotham exists in :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

; it'd be a shame if all that deliberate work was negated by a man in red underpants flying around the world this particular Gotham exists in :)

It's ok, the pants are gone so I think it will work :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I suppose the closest thing that springs to mind is the Iron Man movies, I remember quit a few posters on here saying there's no way they could see Thor et al. fitting into the film universe of Iron Man but it worked fine. The main difference for me though is the existence of the wider Marvel universe was implied in those films from the get-go even if there was nothing explicitly "magical" in Iron Man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

Superman could be introduced to the Nolan Batman universe like another poster has said. You could show in the upcoming film that Superman only decided to show his powers after TDKR. So up to then anyone like him was unknown in that world.

Would be a bit more difficult getting Green Lantern to fit in though as from what I barely remember from that forgettable film he was a bit more public and news should have gotten around about him.

I think a Batman & Superman film could work though, and maybe they discover more minor characters along the way. Personally I'd love to see a Flash film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭tupac_healy

Regarding the idea that Nolan's Batman universe is somewhat 'fantastical' I think everyone agrees that considering Batman is a superhero!!!

Nolan's version is the closest to 'real' as we are going to get!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,207 ✭✭✭maximoose

I think a Batman & Superman film could work though

I'm not sure. I guess we'll know more after MoS - getting quite excited for it now.

I hope if Batman IS in the JL film, that they keep the personality clash between him and Supes. Would hate to see them all pally :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭jonnyfingers

maximoose wrote: »
    I'm not sure. I guess we'll know more after MoS - getting quite excited for it now.

I hope if Batman IS in the JL film, that they keep the personality clash between him and Supes. Would hate to see them all pally :pac:

Definitely. The personality clash and the way both can get the job done, but in very different ways, is a key conflict for any potential story about the two. I like when Batman is in his detective mode and using his intellect to solve problems, meanwhile Superman is flying around and smashing through walls. That being said I'd have no idea how to write a story for this JL film. But that's why I'm not a Hollywood scriptwriter!

They could have Batman join towards the end of the movie. Maybe with Superheros coming out of the woodwork crime begins to escalate in Gotham again and Batman grudgingly comes out of retirement once more, maybe passing on the baton at the end, setting up a sequel or future films.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Superman could be introduced to the Nolan Batman universe like another poster has said. You could show in the upcoming film that Superman only decided to show his powers after TDKR. So up to then anyone like him was unknown in that world.

Would be a bit more difficult getting Green Lantern to fit in though as from what I barely remember from that forgettable film he was a bit more public and news should have gotten around about him.

I think a Batman & Superman film could work though, and maybe they discover more minor characters along the way. Personally I'd love to see a Flash film.

Green Lantern is a problem alright. Unless it was somehow made out that those events happened after Dark knight and maybe even man of steel. Could we see a reboot of the character similar to what hulk got

I have no problem with the other members of the justice league being introduced into the dark knight universe. Batman is a comic book character so expanding it to a larger universe with new elements is fine. I would just see it as the next chapter.

Although I sadly don't think it will happen :(

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,394 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I hadn't heard about this. Gullermo Del Toro is supposed to be doing a film called Justice League Dark (not for a good few years yet by the sounds of it though), it would have Constantine as the ring leader (pretty much the superman role) and Swamp Thing would feature too. He spoke about it at Wondercon. I'd be very excited about this if it did happen, though Del Toro planning another film before he starts on it, it still mgiht never happen.

I'd love to see Constantine on screen again, even thoguh the Keanu Reeves film wastn't as faithful to Hellblazer as a lot of people would have liked I still found it a pretty good film.

Didn't want to start a whole new thread, but I hadn't heard about this. Gullermo Del Toro is supposed to be doing a film called Justice League Dark (not for a good few years yet by the sounds of it though), it would have Constantine as the ring leader (pretty much the superman role) and Swamp Thing would feature too. He spoke about it at Wondercon. I'd be very excited about this if it did happen, though Del Toro planning another film before he starts on it, it still mgiht never happen.

I'd love to see Constantine on screen again, even thoguh the Keanu Reeves film wastn't as faithful to Hellblazer as a lot of people would have liked I still found it a pretty good film.

Agree, I think it was a great film. I can happily rewatch it over and over and still enjoy it. I'd defo be into this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I enjoyed Constantine for what it was, had only bare knowledge of the comics so wasn't as outraged as some people about it, Tilda Swinton is brilliant in it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Batman and Superman will unite on-screen for the first time in a Man of Steel sequel.

Warner Bros and DC Comics are planning to follow on from the success of this summer's Superman reboot with a team-up movie due in 2015.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a499939/batman-superman-for-man-of-steel-2015-sequel-justice-league-in-2017.html

The right move IMO. A Justice League film with no build up would have been a recipe for disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46782

At comic con the future looks like the plan is

Superman/Batman 2015
    Flash 2016
    Justice League 2017

As disappointing as MoS was for me I am really very excited about this, it's a great way to reboot batman too rather than retread the origins again. It would have been good to have another standalone superman film but hey.

I hope they up their game a bit though and realise that what makes a great superman and batman story is the charcters themselves, their friendship and rivalry, not punching people through buildings (though that has its place of course).

Would love them to do Tower of Babel for the eventual JLA film :D

Also hearing rumours they're going to announce Spider-Man will be in Avengers? Unlikely though.

MOS didn't work for me due to the ending it was "too big" for a first film in a possible series and I couldn't cope with another Batman Origin picture so hopefully Superman/Batman will work

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,731 ✭✭✭Bullseye1

McLoughlin wrote: »
    http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46782

At comic con the future looks like the plan is

Superman/Batman 2015
    Flash 2016
    Justice League 2017

Oh for **** sake WB sell the rights to WW since you haven't a ****ing clue how to utilise her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,029 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Batman Vs Superman could be amazing..

.. then i read Zack Synder for director, and I'm immediately disappointed!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

I don't like the sound of this. I'd rather they focused on Superman for another film before dragging Batman into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Not enthused about Snyder doing this either.

Also that Bat symbol is awful. Looks like Superman and 2 turkey heads.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Corholio wrote: »
    Not enthused about Snyder doing this either.

Also that Bat symbol is awful. Looks like Superman and 2 turkey heads.

Looks like this

dark-knight-returns-comic-01.jpg

I just got home after being out all day to news of this. I couldn't be more excited

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Looks like this

dark-knight-returns-comic-01.jpg

I just got home after being out all day to news of this. I couldn't be more excited

Meh. Still looks awful. Almost a rectangle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭OU812

Hope they use it to introduce Wonder Woman also. Just something small.

Will this be a Batman vs Superman movie like The Dark Knight Returns? That's my absolute favourite Batman & Superman story/comic/movie EVER!

Dark-Knight-Returns_zps56eb72cb.jpg

Link
    "Snyder officially confirmed the project at the San Diego Comic-Con today (July 20), bringing out his Man of Steel star Harry Lennix to read out a message from Frank Miller's Dark Knight Returns.

"I want you to remember Clark," he said. "In all the years to come. In all your private moments. I want you to remember my hand at your throat. I want you to remember, the one man who beat you."

If he got him to read that quote he must be going down that road! Have any of you seen the animated "The Dark Knight Returns"? It's unbelievably good.
    If you haven't seen it, go watch it and enjoy how great it is.

Excited.

Sacramento wrote: »
    Will this be a Batman vs Superman movie like The Dark Knight Returns? That's my absolute favourite Batman & Superman story/comic/movie EVER!

Dark-Knight-Returns_zps56eb72cb.jpg

Link

If he got him to read that quote he must be going down that road! Have any of you seen the animated "The Dark Knight Returns"? It's unbelievably good.
    If you haven't seen it, go watch it and enjoy how great it is.

Excited.

It's not based on TDKR, just inspired by it. So that could just mean they're gonna fight at some point

• Advertisement

It's not based on TDKR, just inspired by it. So that could just mean they're gonna fight at some point

Your right I just saw the quote saying he'll use it as inspiration to help tell that story. Wonder if we'll see an old (50+) Batman and joker... There's so many possibilities!
    I'm not worried about Snyder directing either, Watchmen is one if my favorite comic book movies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

I'm not a comic book fan, so pardon my ignorance, but why would Superman (and all his super powers) want/need to team up with a guy who has an expensive utility belt?

What's does Batman bring to the party?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Banjaxed82 wrote: »
    I'm not a comic book fan, so pardon my ignorance, but why would Superman (and all his super powers) want/need to team up with a guy who has an expensive utility belt?

kryptonite doesn't affect Batman.

There was a cross over between the Batman and Superman animated series where they both fought the Joker in Metropolis. I thought that handled the situtation well.

Banjaxed82 wrote: »

While they didn't play up to it as much as they could have in the TDK Trilogy, Batman is still known as "The World's Greatest Detective".

You're right, Bruce can't add muscle to the situation (and this will be a big challenge for Snyder & Goyer to get around).

I'm guessing that they'll reboot Batman as the brilliant mind and world class detective (with vast resources) that he's always been in the comics.

I'm excited anyway, but if Snyder is using The Dark Knight Returns as inspiration, he better be careful with how he handles Clark. Snyder should be using this film to finally bring Superman onto an equal footing with Batman. If he unwittingly plays Clark up as the big blue scout while portraying Bats as the cool anti-hero, then it'll be an unmitigated disaster for a character that they should be trying to build up, and not tear down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I don't like the sound of this. I'd rather they focused on Superman for another film before dragging Batman into it.

Agreed. After MOS they badly need some character work and batman is just going to suffocate them. Don't want Synder anywhere near this, surprised he hasn't been booted tbh, although I've always questioned how invested Nolan is in these movies. I also don't think we'd see Batman so soon if MOS performed as well as Warners hoped.

While they didn't play up to it as much as they could have in the TDK Trilogy, Batman is still known as "The World's Greatest Detective".

You're right, Bruce can't add muscle to the situation (and this will be a big challenge for Snyder & Goyer to get around).

I'm guessing that they'll reboot Batman as the brilliant mind and world class detective (with vast resources) that he's always been in the comics.

I'm excited anyway, but if Snyder is using The Dark Knight Returns as inspiration, he better be careful with how he handles Clark. Snyder should be using this film to finally bring Superman onto an equal footing with Batman. If he unwittingly plays Clark up as the big blue scout while portraying Bats as the cool anti-hero, then it'll be an unmitigated disaster for a character that they should be trying to build up, and not tear down.

Yeah and there's also the aspect that they're two sides of the same coin, they both ultimately have similar goals but go about it in different ways with Supes not always agreeing with Batman's methods. Would be cool if they braught a bit of Batman's weariness and paranoia about superhumans too, i also like the way Batman might not have any powers but yet still illicits the most fear from the villains (and even the other members of the JLA too).

This was one of my favourite Batman scenes form the animated JL series (probably not the first time I've posted this :pac:):

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,608 Mod ✭✭✭✭horgan_p

Superman and batman teaming up against Luthor ? MOS established that all 3 exist in the universe.It wont be The Dark Knight Returns (set in the future) that would be a waste of MOS establishing the universe.
    I could see it working with Batman as the brains and Superman as the brawn.

I think they'll have to reset (or erase) the nolan trilogy , as it just wouldn't fit. There are any references to superman / metropolis in TDK trilogy , so it could be done easy enough.
    Batman in a (film) universe where aliens exist will be a large enough leap for me though....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Yeah and there's also the aspect that they're two sides of the same coin, they both ultimately have similar goals but go about it in different ways with Supes not always agreeing with Batman's methods. Would be cool if they braught a bit of Batman's weariness and paranoia about superhumans too, i also like the way Batman might not have any powers but yet still illicits the most fear from the villains (and even the other members of the JLA too).

This was one of my favourite Batman scenes form the animated JL series (probably not the first time I've posted this :pac:):

WTF is at 44 seconds!!

WTF is at 44 seconds!!

Ah I think whoever made the vid tried to crank up the volume so you can hear what Batman says. Kind of like a few folks did for the ending of Lost in Translation :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,485 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is the Asylum behind this :P

Saw that earlier, spine-tingling alright. 2015 is going to be some year for blockbusters, with a few being big time rush jobs (including this film). Could be a golden year or a year of the big budget turkeys.

I've been waiting for this since I was a kid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭blaa85

If they are taking inspiration from TDKR, and were going for an older Batman... Michael Keaton. I wouldn't be able to sleep until I saw the film.

blaa85 wrote: »
    If they are taking inspiration from TDKR, and were going for an older Batman... Michael Keaton. I wouldn't be able to sleep until I saw the film.
    Doubt they're going for an older batman. More likely they're just going for the bats vs supes battle.

• Advertisement

Wayne versus Kent for Lois Lane affection and a Bats Supes battle due to misunderstanding before team up against a minor villain but find out something major is coming the final scene bats and Supes realise working together is best course of action and they mention some speedster and amazon that could help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Kinda worried if it's inspired by "The Dark Night Returns" it's not really a Superman movie, and wouldn't fit in with the recent film.

It would do the Superman franchise more harm than good, while giving the Batman fans exactly what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,603 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

So who would ye like to see suit up as Batman?

Id like to see Karl Urban I think. He did a brilliant job with Dredd Id love to see his version of Batman/Wayne

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

So who would ye like to see suit up as Batman?

Id like to see Karl Urban I think. He did a brilliant job with Dredd Id love to see his version of Batman/Wayne

Not sure they'd go for him as he already has done his 'chin down' acting with Dredd. Might be a bit too familiar having the same face again in a Batman cowl.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Kinda worried if it's inspired by "The Dark Night Returns" it's not really a Superman movie, and wouldn't fit in with the recent film.

It would do the Superman franchise more harm than good, while giving the Batman fans exactly what they want.

Didn't Snyder say it's not based on TDKR? He just took that quote to announce it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement