Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are your views on Multiculturalism in Ireland? - Threadbanned User List in OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Not really. The US has always, and will likely to continue to be ruled by the wealthy, who are inherently selfish... that selfishness means protecting their wealth, which leads to moralising, in the hopes of conditioning society. It's nothing new for the US.

I'm always amazed at the willingness to assume that everything kicked off with Trump. It didn't. Obama wasn't a particularly good president for helping the American people. He and Biden are very similar in some respects, as is Trump. More interested in public acclaim, and ticking boxes than actually benefiting the nation. They're all fixated on widening the divisions that have emerged over the last two decades.

I can't stand Trump.. but Washington, and the whole US political system is incredibly corrupt. It's interesting the way people latch on to Trump, in the effort to ignore all that.. and if they do acknowledge it, it'll be a momentary dismissal.

Not going to go off topic here. There's other threads that debate Biden and US politics.

As for Irish politicians.. nah. I don't buy it. Irish political parties have no hesitation in attempting to manipulate the electorate, and tugging at the heart strings. RTE's focus on diversity and the positives of multiculturalism, reflect that desire to manipulate. Otherwise we'd be seeing more interest in showing the negatives, and providing a more balanced view of multiculturalism.

In your time in the politics forum you will have seen that no one is suggesting that Trump pulled this particular bag of tricks out of thin air, but absolutely that he supercharged them and empowered others for a period to think that it would be a sure fire path to success.

And again, there is no suggestion anywhere that everyone else is whiter than white. As I said, there will continue to be problems throughout the Biden administration, and America is in a very dangerous place with its 2 party system. But it was a very interesting post from Pompeo at this time in a country as diverse as what America is. He's out of a job tomorrow, his guy lost, the display of such divisive views at this time is worth keeping an eye on to see what comments he'll make in future.

I'm laughing here at what I expect would be your understanding of what a more balanced view of multiculturalism would entail. Fox News with an Irish accent I imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Jpscoles

i find that certain immigrants do integrate and their culture is intermixed with irish, and they start a new generation. I find this common with polish working here, great bunch of lads.

Some countrys will always be immigrants, they are here to work what someone else labelled **** jobs, save money and go home, they will never contribute really to irish society and culture.

then i suppose Irish did the latter all over the world, and still had an impact in most places.

so who knows

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

Way I see it, the traveling community in the UK do not represent the average Irish person.
    The pisshead alco dumb fuq mick in london does not represent the average person.

likewise not every foreigner coming here is a "token" of their entire nation., as every nation has good and bad, if you dont believe look at the doctors nurses, canteen staff etc in every major hospital who look after you in this country, those guy and gals work damn hard and deserve to be respected, regardless of covid.

My issue with "people in general" is you toe the line , obey the rules of c, respect, and of course the law. If you are foreign and break the law, you get deported, we have enough criminals of our own without importing them.
    This goes beyond race, culture, sexual preferences, gender etc.
    I like and respect decent people, scum will always be scum irregardless of whether they come for mongolia, macroom, middle east, or mullingar.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Way I see it, the traveling community in the UK do not represent the average Irish person.
    The pisshead alco dumb fuq mick in london does not represent the average person.

likewise not every foreigner coming here is a "token" of their entire nation., as every nation has good and bad, if you dont believe look at the doctors nurses, canteen staff etc in every major hospital who look after you in this country, those guy and gals work damn hard and deserve to be respected, regardless of covid.

My issue with "people in general" is you toe the line , obey the rules of c, respect, and of course the law. If you are foreign and break the law, you get deported, we have enough criminals of our own without importing them.
    This goes beyond race, culture, sexual preferences, gender etc.
    I like and respect decent people, scum will always be scum irregardless of whether they come for mongolia, macroom, middle east, or mullingar.

This would mean disproportionate penalties for people for the same crime. It's straight up discrimination.

And what would constitute a foreigner in this respect? An American at one of the multinationals for a 3-5 year placement for example?
    A Spanish person married in Ireland for 8 years?

And what level of crime? Driving without tax? Assault?

It's all well and good to make such blanket statements, but how exactly would they work in the real world?

• Advertisement

I dont care if its a fat white yank
    gorgeous iberian girl
    or a big black buck from africa

you come here , abide by the laws, if you **** up you are ****ed out.
    You are well aware I am not speaking about dodging a tv license, I am speaking about serious crimes, or a certain number of accumulated priors.,

If a person has 66 previous convictions, it is quite evident this is not a case of mistaken identity, or a false accusation, it is clear they are no good.
    Just a shame there was no place we could ship our own scum to.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

This would mean disproportionate penalties for people for the same crime. It's straight up discrimination.
    We already discriminate between citizens and non citizens.
    And what would constitute a foreigner in this respect? An American at one of the multinationals for a 3-5 year placement for example?
    A Spanish person married in Ireland for 8 years?
    Both are here legally and adding to the economy and society. A Brazilian who stayed here illegally after a language course working in the black market and "undocumented" isn't.
    If they're undocumented, AKA illegals out they go. If they're involved in repeated criminality, assault, sexual assault, tax dodging, welfare fraud and the like, out they go. We're not talking about two points on their driving licence here.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Cordell

No, it's not a penalty, it's removal of a privilege that was granted with some conditions attached.
    Any level of crime that results in a criminal conviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Dump another 4 million people into a housing crisis?! I see we are being groomed in advance
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/days-of-three-bed-semis-in-dublin-are-over-as-high-density-housing-plans-take-hold-1.4460746

“We have to look at the loss of cultural capital and where we can provide those spaces indoors or outdoors. We also need to consider whether the hospitality industry might have a contribution to make to that cultural offering, maybe allocating part of a hotel to a jazz club.

tumblr_pvzgpwZpLc1rpduwho1_500.gifv

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Bobblehats wrote: »
    “We have to look at the loss of cultural capital and where we can provide those spaces indoors or outdoors. We also need to consider whether the hospitality industry might have a contribution to make to that cultural offering, maybe allocating part of a hotel to a jazz club.

tumblr_pvzgpwZpLc1rpduwho1_500.gifv

White water rafting and Jazz clubs , boy, they really know what people in inner city Dublin want.

• Advertisement

WrenBoy wrote: »
    White water rafting and Jazz clubs , boy, they really know what people in inner city Dublin want.

any news on the ski ramp ?

I'm laughing here at what I expect would be your understanding of what a more balanced view of multiculturalism would entail. Fox News with an Irish accent I imagine.

Whereas I'm laughing about your need to swing from one extreme end of the pendulum to the other. You've really embraced the two party, two side, us or them, attitude that the US has been promoting over the last few decades. Perhaps you should stop spending so much time focused on their BS?

I'd be looking for something in the middle, which shows both positives and negatives. An honest organisation that does more than simply mouth platitudes. See the RTE ad for being careful where your information comes from? It's so hypocritical since they're biased to the hilt..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭dominatinMC

Whereas I'm laughing about your need to swing from one extreme end of the pendulum to the other. You've really embraced the two party, two side, us or them, attitude that the US has been promoting over the last few decades. Perhaps you should stop spending so much time focused on their BS?

I'd be looking for something in the middle, which shows both positives and negatives. An honest organisation that does more than simply mouth platitudes. See the RTE ad for being careful where your information comes from? It's so hypocritical since they're biased to the hilt..
    I think that's something the majority of posters here are crying out for. And, by extension, a lot of Boards users in general. Now, I have no idea if we are representatve of a general sentiment in the wider public discourse, or of a particular demographic but it can't be a coincidence that I encounter a lot of people with this opinion - both online (beyond Boards - Twitter, Journal, etc.) and in everyday life. But, of course, it could be a case of birds of a feather, and all that..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Kivaro wrote: »
    Based on the Housing Department's recent report, there is very little chance of him getting deported, even after this horrific sexual attack.

This particular Afghani "gentleman", who lives in Direct Provision, sexually assaulted a young woman on the Luas, and then receives two years imprisonment .............. but the judge suspended the final 15 months. Anyone want to guess who the Judge is? Yes, our noble Judge Martin Nolan. And of course, as stated by the judge, he did not give this criminal a longer sentence because he was an Afghani national. In other words, an Irish person would have received a longer sentence for this crime.

If Ireland continues down this multicultural path of facilitating people who have completely different social norms than the rest of us, then our society will be a total wreck in very short time.

Niall Boylan is doing a segment on this horrendous story live on radio now.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Invidious wrote: »
    Is legal migration from other EU nations such a huge problem? Most Eastern European immigrants don't seem invested in foisting their own culture on us.

The pregnancy loophole of the 90s and bogus asylum seeking, bringing waves of immigrants from non-EU countries, have created far bigger problems.

Legal is fine.... when I moved to France.. I did so legally with...

accommodation already arranged.

A job and a start date.

Two suitcases full of clothes.

A debit card and cash.

On arrival I purchased my travel pass, I paid to renew it every month.

What I’ve never done is rock up to a country, tell them despite not knowing me, despite me Never having put a put on their soil.. as things are not so good back home, I’m demanding a house / apartment / accommodation, free medical card free travel, free money... all to be paid for by the citizens of said country. In turn the citizens who are there, pay millions / billions for all that yet few and far between benefit from it themselves... what a fair country, not..

I’ve been coming to the sad realization that we are kinda fûcked... if we don’t put an end to it soon, it’s going to become a rather dangerous and unforgiving kip.

Unfortunately we are unlikely to be of the ability to say ‘no more’.... so, anyway... we are screwed quite frankly. Sure when we run out of room the woke bastards will probably have us put up houses for them on the burren

Strumms wrote: »
    Legal is fine.... when I moved to France.. I did so legally with...

accommodation already arranged.

A job and a start date.

Two suitcases full of clothes.

A debit card and cash.

On arrival I purchased my travel pass, I paid to renew it every month.

What I’ve never done is rock up to a country, tell them despite not knowing me, despite me Never having put a put on their soil.. as things are not so good back home, I’m demanding a house / apartment / accommodation, free medical card free travel, free money... all to be paid for by the citizens of said country. In turn the citizens who are there, pay millions / billions for all that yet few and far between benefit from it themselves... what a fair country, not..

I’ve been coming to the sad realization that we are kinda fûcked... if we don’t put an end to it soon, it’s going to become a rather dangerous and unforgiving kip.

Unfortunately we are unlikely to be of the ability to say ‘no more’.... so, anyway... we are screwed quite frankly. Sure when we run out of room the woke bastards will probably have us put up houses for them on the burren

careful, the term "racist" wont be long following, you know how it works if you dare to step outside the bubble and dare question things..

You left out the part connected to complaining about the country, and expecting it to conform to your expectations, rather than simply accepting that you chose to move there in the first place (and bear the responsibility for that choice). Oh sure, as expats, we all sometimes complain to friends/family about the state of a country, but the expectation that it should change for us? haha. yurp.

careful, the term "racist" wont be long following, you know how it works if you dare to step outside the bubble and dare question things..

Truth but im here in my property... with stuff that i like and own having worked to hard to pay, procure and accumulate.... soon... that will be racist too ;) because i have zero intention of giving it away. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Dump another 4 million people into a housing crisis?! I see we are being groomed in advance
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/days-of-three-bed-semis-in-dublin-are-over-as-high-density-housing-plans-take-hold-1.4460746
    WrenBoy wrote: »

"Urban villages" newspeak for Ghettos, and normalising it.

Truth but im here in my property... with stuff that i like and own having worked to hard to pay, procure and accumulate.... soon... that will be racist too ;) because i have zero intention of giving it away. ;)

"Ireland is full of mean people"

"Irish people need to change"

• Advertisement

You left out the part connected to complaining about the country, and expecting it to conform to your expectations, rather than simply accepting that you chose to move there in the first place (and bear the responsibility for that choice). Oh sure, as expats, we all sometimes complain to friends/family about the state of a country, but the expectation that it should change for us? haha. yurp.

Maybe we'll get told the name 'republic of ireland' isnt inclusive enough anymore and we can or should change the name of OUR country...to Whateverville...

We can update the constitution to ensure every second president and taoiseach is and must be of a different ethnicity or 'new irish'.... aka give our country away .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Kivaro wrote: »
    Niall Boylan is doing a segment on this horrendous story live on radio now.

Disgraceful, should be a means to remove a Judge like that, like lots of stuff, swept aside/under the carpet, you wouldnt even know this stuff is going on, stick him on a plane to kabul, end of.

Maybe we'll get told the name 'republic of ireland' isnt inclusive enough anymore and we can or should change the name of OUR country...to Whateverville...

We can update the constitution to ensure every second president and taoiseach is and must be of a different ethnicity or 'new irish'.... aka give our country away .

Wouldn't surprise me with our politicians, transparency and democracy isn't the best imo, lord Mayor-take turns, nominate your son/husband/whoever to take the seat you were elected to or if you drop dead instead of the next in line, appointment of job- senators/AG instead of elect or have a body appropriate for this that is transparent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,748 ✭✭✭RobbieTheRobber

FYI the name of the country isn't the Republic of Ireland. Its Ireland or Éire.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Names_of_the_Irish_state#:~:text=Since%201949%20the%20Republic%20of,name%20Ireland%20is%20normally%20used.

Since 1949 the Republic of Ireland Act has provided that the Republic of Ireland (or Poblacht na hÉireann in Irish) is the legal description for the state.. FYI

Since 1949 the Republic of Ireland Act has provided that the Republic of Ireland (or Poblacht na hÉireann in Irish) is the legal description for the state.. FYI

A legal description does not equal a name.
    So what is the name?

You said the name of the country was going to be changed not the legal description used for the purpose of disambiguation.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

So what is the name?

A rose by any other name ...

So what is the name?

It in fact does... :) bury yourself in semantics all you like.

SexBobomb wrote: »
    A rose by any other name ...

"Would still smell as sweet". But would it still be called a rose?

The name of the country is declared in the constitution and would require a referendum to change the legal description as enacted by the Republic of Ireland Act could be changed by an act of government. So yeah a pretty big difference.

You know if you're going to go on about the name of the country being changed by some big bad bunch of foreigners shouldn't you at least get the name of the country you are so desperate to defend right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭smartz

Actually he's right. The Republic of Ireland is the name of the national soccer team, not the country.

Advertisement