Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Official Conor McGregor thread (part 5) *Read Mod Note in Post 1*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I was doing well avoiding spoilers up till now.:(

ah man...sorry....should have stayed out of the mma forum though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Dempsey wrote: »
    "Dana White defends Conor McGregor, UFC lightweight division from 'haters'"

was the title of the article and you only took an excerpt of what was said by White

In the same article you quoted

Its fairly clear to anyone that can read and read the entire interview that he never suggested that McGregor defended a title by fighting Mayweather.

Dana lists a few fights which weren't title defences then shockingly asks "how hasn't he defended" that bemused me

• Registered Users Posts: 3,706 ✭✭✭clsmooth

How do people feel McGregor would face up to Khabib? I think McGregor would be destroyed by him. He’s the ultimate nightmare for him, walking down opponents, high pace and his cardio (up to 15mins at least) looks good. If and when he got McGregor to the ground, it wouldn’t be pretty. I could see McGregor looking lively for first minute or so before been taken down and kept there and pummeled for the next 4 minutes. Second round would be even worse for a gassed McGregor. If Conor didn’t get a first round finish, I think he would really struggle. And saying this as an admirer of McGregor’s skills. But it’d be a nightmare match up style wise for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

clsmooth wrote: »
    How do people feel McGregor would face up to Khabib?

He'll hide behind the "He's not a money fight." excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Mcgregor fears khabib

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

if it stays on the feet and mcgregor keeps his distance - mcgregor
    Khabib if it goes to the ground :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

But Khabib said he could have finished him anytime he wanted

I was doing well avoiding spoilers up till now.:(

:pac::pac: Seriously? You haven't seen it yet and you are reading the mma forum :P

• Advertisement

pudzey101 wrote: »
    if it stays on the feet and mcgregor keeps his distance - mcgregor
    Khabib if it goes to the ground :)

The problem is Khabib can take anyone to the ground. And once he’s got them there, he can usually tie them up and ground and pound them. They might make it to the next round, but tend to be gassed by them. He’s not going to try to stay on his feet with McGregor. On the feet for the first minute or so, McGregor would light him up, but all it takes is one takedown and I think McGregor would be in big trouble from there on in for the rest of the fight, even if he makes the end of the round. I’d say beating Khabib would be one of the best achievements in Conor’s career. Just think it’s a very tough match up style wise for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Its mad all the Khabib experts in the thread all of a sudden.

ASOT wrote: »
    Its mad all the Khabib experts in the thread all of a sudden.

Yep I never heard of him before last night, like most people I suppose :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I hate to admit it bit if kabhib takes Conor down it's a beating for the rest of the round or submitted. Conor survived on the ground with Mendez but kabhibs wrestling is on another level.

Then again I said to myself after the brando fight I would not doubt Conor again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,447 ✭✭✭Never wrestle with pigs

TBH I think Conner would dominate kabhib and ko him inside 3. I think kabhib would charge and get lit up like a Christmas tree.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Adam1738

Enough with the speculation and **** talking, I just want to see him fight again

Bag of coke. New years day hangover twitter posting with the boyz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Still Ill

Wish he'd just shut up and fight! Would be amazing to see him fight Khabib and Ferguson this year.

Paully D wrote: »

So "Pay me my worth" is the excuse he's running with again? MMA sites should just ignore him until he actually fights.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,904 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

whats the going call out for a plumber these days lads? 50 quid ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

Nate broke Conor in two rounds, he wouldn't make it out of the first with Khabib. He'd be walked down, mauled and give his back again.

Khabib walked through headkicks from barbosa and just kept walking him down, the same thing would happen to Conor, but Conor doesn't have Barbosas engine to keep him going for three rounds.

"He was **** but I won't fight anyone unless I get paid and they beg".

You won't fight him or Tony because you're afraid of a third L in 4 fights and see Nate as the easier pay day.

Just retire already and come back in five years when you're broke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,397 ✭✭✭xtal191

I'm still convinced Conor will KO Khabib with ease, pity we'll prob never see the fight though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Conor has a thirty second window to KO Khabib. After that he gets taken down and beat to a bloody pulp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Lads mcgregors acting the clown but to say a pro fighter is afraid of another fighter is ridiculous haha, at the end of the day theres a very real chance they all have cte, the need to make as much cash as possible. I dont care what anyone says there not in it for the legacy or the glory its for the cash.

ASOT wrote: »
    Lads mcgregors acting the clown but to say a pro fighter is afraid of another fighter is ridiculous haha, at the end of the day theres a very real chance they all have cte, the need to make as much cash as possible. I dont care what anyone says there not in it for the legacy or the glory its for the cash.

McGregor IS afraid. If not afraid of Tony or Khabid, but of another loss and losing his title. That's why he's intentionally pricing himself out of the MMA market. He knows Boxing promoters won't want to know he's alive once he loses that Belt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

Nate broke Conor in two rounds, he wouldn't make it out of the first with Khabib. He'd be walked down, mauled and give his back again.

Khabib walked through headkicks from barbosa and just kept walking him down, the same thing would happen to Conor, but Conor doesn't have Barbosas engine to keep him going for three rounds.

You won't fight him or Tony because you're afraid of a third L in 4 fights and see Nate as the easier pay day.

You genuinely think Conor would be lucky to make it out of first round? The likes of Pat Healy, Gleisen tibau went the distance with Khabib. If Khabib is to finish Conor surely it's in the latter rounds?

It's a good fight and I hope it gets made. I say Khabib will fight Ferguson before McGregor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

There was a 2nd fight you must have remembered.......Nate far from broke Conor in that one where he had the full time to prepare for an opponent (at this weight he'd never fought before) .....took approx 24mins and 50 secs to do anything meaningful

incidentally who would you have Nate v Khabib at 170 lbs ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,405 ✭✭✭Lukker-

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    McGregor IS afraid. If not afraid of Tony or Khabid, but of another loss and losing his title. That's why he's intentionally pricing himself out of the MMA market. He knows Boxing promoters won't want to know he's alive once he loses that Belt.

Yeah because 4.4m million draws and remove some irrelevant straps to boxing and he's a free TV fighter.

sonofenoch wrote: »
    There was a 2nd fight you must have remembered.......Nate far from broke Conor in that one where he had the full time to prepare for an opponent (at this weight he'd never fought before) .....took approx 24mins and 50 secs to do anything meaningful

incidentally who would you have Nate v Khabib at 170 lbs ?

They're both 155lb fighters so whether it's at 155, 170 or 205 the outcome is the same and Nate gets thrown around the octagon for however long it lasts just like everyone else.

They're both 155lb fighters so whether it's at 155, 170 or 205 the outcome is the same and Nate gets thrown around the octagon for however long it lasts just like everyone else.

So that includes Fersguson too then....Khabib Nurmagomedev the Goat among Goats .....a kind of X-man it would seem

I'd have Tony beating him never mind Conor

Yup, I think he smashes Tony when they fight for the title in the spring after Conor is finally stripped.

Tony doesn't have the striking to bother Khabib and he doesn't have the grappling to neutralise him, it's a right night at the office for T-Ferg and I say that as a fan of both Tony and Nate.

Yup, I think he smashes Tony when they fight for the title in the spring after Conor is finally stripped.

Tony doesn't have the striking to bother Khabib and he doesn't have the grappling to neutralise him, it's a right night at the office for T-Ferg and I say that as a fan of both Tony and Nate.

You acknowledge the fact someone doesn't have that element but don't with someone who does ........agenda much?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

IgIiEB1.gif

Tony vs Khabib in early 2018 with the winner facing Conor (probably sometime in the summer would make sense with that timeline) is what I want to see.

Lukker- wrote: »
    Yeah because 4.4m million draws and remove some irrelevant straps to boxing and he's a free TV fighter.

The marketing gimmick for him in Boxing is that he's a reigning UFC Champion. That's the big draw for him in Boxing "How would a UFC Champion do in Boxing?" If he's not a Champion those opportunities will dry up faster than Rhonda's acting career once she lost her belt.

Paully D wrote: »
    Tony vs Khabib in early 2018 with the winner facing Conor (probably sometime in the summer would make sense with that timeline) is what I want to see.

Why do you want Tony the interm champion to defend his belt? If Tony is fighting anyone in early 2018 it should be Conor or Conor should be stripped of his title. The UFC titles are becoming a joke already but if they start making interm champs defend their title that is just even more ridiculous.

• Advertisement

UFC official account even getting in on the action

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/947917053679230976

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

This thread makes me want to cry at times.

Asks a specific question about Ferguson. Gets answer. Extrapolates this into anti McGregor conspiracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    UFC official account even getting in on the action

https://twitter.com/ufc/status/947917053679230976

Retweet then back off then PROFIT

Asks a specific question about Ferguson. Gets answer. Extrapolates this into anti McGregor conspiracy.

It's the official Conor McGregor thread :D

the initial post discounted his chance against Khabib irrefutably .........Ferguson can't beat him because 'he doesn't have the striking power to bother him'

to not acknowledge McGregor does at least have that can't be anything but agenda

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Will we see mcgregor fight in 2018 ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,532 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

The fact it's the McGregor thread means you can just accuse people of having an agenda? Interesting view on the purpose of the thread.

Ffs, you can't logically draw a line from "Ferguson can't bother him striking" to "McGregor can bother him striking" simply because McGregor is a better striker than Ferguson. There's no equivalence in there. And then to convince yourself that that adds up to an agenda.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Will we see mcgregor fight in 2018 ?

Definitely, but most likely in the forge

The fact it's the McGregor thread means you can just accuse people of having an agenda? Interesting view on the purpose of the thread.

Ffs, you can't logically draw a line from "Ferguson can't bother him striking" to "McGregor can bother him striking" simply because McGregor is a better striker than Ferguson. There's no equivalence in there. And then to convince yourself that that adds up to an agenda.

"Nate broke Conor in two rounds, he wouldn't make it out of the first with Khabib. He'd be walked down, mauled and give his back again"

Where's the equivalence there then? the Diaz fight and what Khabib will do?

notwithstanding the fact there was a 2nd fight (ignored)

why you singling out what I posted unless you share the same agenda....and yes I can accuse have you read this and all the other posts on these treads Ffs

26166938_335576076849651_4834547292841900800_n.jpg?oh=a87be53488a349901c8c3eac50704db3&oe=5AB9D2B0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭fitzparker

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    The marketing gimmick for him in Boxing is that he's a reigning UFC Champion. That's the big draw for him in Boxing "How would a UFC Champion do in Boxing?" If he's not a Champion those opportunities will dry up faster than Rhonda's acting career once she lost her belt.

The marketing Gimmick is HE IS Conor McGregor, point blank. ask anyone in the boxing or MMA game would they rather fight Conor Mcgregor or the No1 contender in the division and Mcgregor will be busy the rest of his career. regardless of titles,belts etc, HE IS the money fight, boxing or MMA champion or not.

eg, in MMA, Darren Till for example, on the cusp of a title shot, if he was offered "exhibition" Mcgregor or title shot V woodley he would take MCG every day,

same with GGG or Canelo, rematch against each other or MCgregor. Day Day to the rematch.

as would 100% of boxing and MMA roster.

End of the day for anyone in the world $$$ is the bottom line, would you rather have a shiny belt in a box room or full pocket in a mansion?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement