Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,867 ✭✭✭Christy42

Yeah can't wait to see us ruin Lawrence's career😭. Maybe if we could create somewhere players want to play...

I would not be so sure on Dak hitting free agency, Cowboys can tag him again which I would expect.

On Mac Jones, the few far too early mock drafts don't have him going in the first round so you should be safe enough if Bill wants him at 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Okay Colts fans on boards. Nick sirianni ? What do eagles fans need to know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭letowski

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    Okay Colts fans on boards. Nick sirianni ? What do eagles fans need to know ?

Good coach. From following Colts and their media interviews, he comes across as a very likeable kind of guy and you'd hear it from the players aswell. He is well respected in Indy

Being under Frank Reich, it will likely be a QB-friendly offense. Up-tempo, ball out quick, you know your typical west coast offense, plenty mesh concepts, pick routes, etc. We don't have an explosive offense here in Indy, but we have a good oline, strong running game, we control the football and are efficient enough. I get the feeling that's why the Eagles are taking Sirianni, Reich/Sirianni have done a great job maximizing Andrew Luck and Phillip Rivers' play, and of course Reich was the OC for Carson Wentz and Nick Foles during that Superbowl run.

I think yere front office still haven't gave up on Wentz and want to get a coach that they believe can get the best out of a QB.

I think Sirianni will make a good HC. He'll be well respected and is a smart offensive mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,007 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Martin Mayhew has been hired as GM of the Football Team and report directly to Rivera. Really shows the power Rivera has solidified with the franchise.

Given that he is a minority candidate that means that the 49ers now have 3rd round comp picks in the 2021, 2022, and 2023 drafts (new rule that you get 2 picks from the first minority hire you 'develop' and lose in a given year (Saleh) and then 1 additional if you lose another). I don't think it is clear yet if these comp picks are in addition to the player comp picks or if they replace them (i.e., all player comp picks are pushed down and some teams at the bottom will lose out)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Hadn't realised the comp picks for development staff went that far. Bit mad given Mayhew was formerly the GM for the Lions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,703 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Martin Mayhew has been hired as GM of the Football Team and report directly to Rivera. Really shows the power Rivera has solidified with the franchise.

Given that he is a minority candidate that means that the 49ers now have 3rd round comp picks in the 2021, 2022, and 2023 drafts (new rule that you get 2 picks from the first minority hire you 'develop' and lose in a given year (Saleh) and then 1 additional if you lose another). I don't think it is clear yet if these comp picks are in addition to the player comp picks or if they replace them (i.e., all player comp picks are pushed down and some teams at the bottom will lose out)

I think they are in addition to the player comp picks, and in the third round these picks come after the player comp picks in the draft order. I read the other day that 32 player comp picks are awarded each year, and these coach/GM picks are additional.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Good incentive to develop minority candidates but it probably shouldn’t apply if the candidate has already held an equivalent position in the past. 49ers will gladly take the picks however

Hadn't realised the comp picks for development staff went that far. Bit mad given Mayhew was formerly the GM for the Lions.
    Good incentive to develop minority candidates but it probably shouldn’t apply if the candidate has already held an equivalent position in the past. 49ers will gladly take the picks however

I know I might be biased given that we just got the picks but I think it still makes sense for minority candidates who have previously held HC or GM roles elsewhere to be available for these picks.

This rule is trying to put more minority candidates in the shop window for jobs (rather than the 'jobs for the boys') and excluding people deemed to be previously qualified from that benefit doesn't help achieving that goal. You want to promote keeping those minority candidates who failed in their first run in the active pool, rather than them falling away and disappearing.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭Leinster90

Does anyone know if I sign up to the ESPN player’s free trial, can I watch the new Manti Te’o documentary tonight? Or is it geo-blocked and I would need a VPN?

Foxtrol wrote: »
    I know I might be biased given that we just got the picks but I think it still makes sense for minority candidates who have previously held HC or GM roles elsewhere to be available for these picks.

This rule is trying to put more minority candidates in the shop window for jobs (rather than the 'jobs for the boys') and excluding people deemed to be previously qualified from that benefit doesn't help achieving that goal. You want to promote keeping those minority candidates who failed in their first run in the active pool, rather than them falling away and disappearing.

Yeah I’d have no major issue with it really. It’s a very clever way of incentivising minority hires at the lower levels and giving guys opportunities. It shouldn’t be necessary in the first place but there you go. A comp pick three years running is very nice for the 49ers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 10,823 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Speaking of left field...The Bears just interviewed Mike Singletary for their DC position. He was recently fired from a high school coaching job where he won one game in two years.

I mean the guy is a legend round Chicago but my God...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,364 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Speaking of left field...The Bears just interviewed Mike Singletary for their DC position. He was recently fired from a high school coaching job where he won one game in two years.

I mean the guy is a legend round Chicago but my God...

Stinks of a token effort to satisfy the Rooney Rule

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Stinks of a token effort to satisfy the Rooney Rule

Does that apply to coordinators? Thought that role was only for head coach searches

Does that apply to coordinators? Thought that role was only for head coach searches

They have to interview one minority candidate for coordinator positions seemingly

Sounds like just how the Rooney rule should be treated. It’s a joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,438 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s being reported that the lions and Matthew Stafford are parting ways in the off season. With Phillip rivers calling it a day you’d think the Colts would be in the frame to sign him.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    It’s being reported that the lions and Matthew Stafford are parting ways in the off season. With Phillip rivers calling it a day you’d think the Colts would be in the frame to sign him.

Yeah I'd expect so. We have all 7 pick and 2nd most cap space so we would be in play I'd say to take on a $30m contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

letowski wrote: »
    Yeah I'd expect so. We have all 7 pick and 2nd most cap space so we would be in play I'd say to take on a $30m contract.

Has contract is really good for whoever takes it on. $43m over two years.

Whoever gets him is getting a top competitor, he's taken so many hit but keeps getting back up. My favourite player, I don't know if I support him or the Lions more.

Probably the most underrated quarterback in the league, totally held back by playing for a really badly run organisation. Would love him to go to the bears but...I mean he's trying to get away from bad organisations so I assume he'll want to go somewhere good.

• Advertisement

Denver. For the love of Christ Denver.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Indy maybe??

For Stafford’s suitors, I think when you crosstab teams with cap space, draft capital and teams that have a QB need (excluding teams with high draft picks), then it really only leaves Washington, New England and Indianapolis. 49ers would be in the running but they are too tight with cap space and probably would like to re-sign Trent Williams too. It will be interesting to see if New England make a move, it would give you an idea if Bill thinks he can win a SB in the short term or not.

Any chance Detroit would call his bluff?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Any chance Detroit would call his bluff?

What bluff!? He wants out. Its not a contract negotiation tactic

What bluff!? He wants out. Its not a contract negotiation tactic

He wants out but he’s under contract presumably.

For Stafford’s suitors, I think when you crosstab teams with cap space, draft capital and teams that have a QB need (excluding teams with high draft picks), then it really only leaves Washington, New England and Indianapolis. 49ers would be in the running but they are too tight with cap space and probably would like to re-sign Trent Williams too. It will be interesting to see if New England make a move, it would give you an idea if Bill thinks he can win a SB in the short term or not.

Indy for me then the 49ers. But I know what I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭Masked Man

Stafford is probably cheaper than Jimmy G so the 49ers may save on cap space depending on how they ship Jimmy away.

I though the Lions had agreed to move on from Stafford?

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

He wants out but he’s under contract presumably.

I think the Lions seem happy enough to let him leave.

They are definetly pressing the reset button on the whole thing. The defence will need a serious rebuild after the damage Patricia did to it. Looks like all of the recivers bar a rookie are out the door. Whats left of the roster is an good OL, 1 decent RB & 1 decent TE.
    Would be cruel to keep Stafford under those circumstances. Would like to see him go on to see success at a new franchise (as long as it's not within the NFC North).

Not too unhappy that they're starting from scratch. Not going to challenge the Packers anytime soon & a rookie QB (hopefully Wilson or Fields) should'nt be destroyed behind a relatively strong OL, like Burrow was this past season. New OC Anthony Lynn should be a decent tutor for any new QB too (looking at how Herbert got on with the Chargers this past year).

• Advertisement

49ers look to be the front runners if they want Stafford and any auction doesn't get too rich. Practically all the teams before and around them in the draft are either set for QB, will be in the position to draft one of the top rookie QBs in the draft, or likely wouldn't be seen as contenders enough for Stafford to want to join (from all reports it seems the Lions are going to do right by Stafford).

49ers would actually save $4m bringing in Stafford and trading or cutting Garoppolo, so it would put them in an even better position to keep the likes of Williams - that is even before any additional contract massaging they could do with Stafford once he arrives.

I've seen the Colts mentioned a few times but though they have a lot of cap space their draft capital is comparatively pretty weak. For example, the 49ers #12 draft pick is worth around the same as the Colts 1st and 2nd round picks combined.

As a 9ers fan I'm hoping they end up getting Stafford and I'd be ok with giving up the #12 pick and potentially a later pick (or Jimmy) for him as I think he'll be a revelation in the Shanahan offense, vying against the Chiefs for the best in the league. Having said that I'm pretty happy with the position the team is in heading into the offseason. Worst case scenario we end up sticking with a QB that led us to the Super Bowl on an average non-rookie starter price and add one of the top talents in the draft, that should fall due to the run on young QBs.

Advertisement