Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V3

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,604 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Allen is an interesting one, this season was awesome but it was so far ahead of anything he has done in the past you’d have to wonder if it’s sustainable. A lot of things went right for him and for the Bills, they were very lucky with injuries and Diggs having his best year ever etc. Allen is definitely right up there based on this season however
    Diggs had his best year because of who was throwing him the football.
    It was clear in 2019 that Allen was going to be a star. They put the pieces around him and he improved.
    They still to.improve the offensive line a bit and if they do I think he'll win a couple of MVP awards.
    I'd have him as second to Rodgers only this past season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

eagle eye wrote: »
    Diggs had his best year because of who was throwing him the football.
    It was clear in 2019 that Allen was going to be a star. They put the pieces around him and he improved.
    They still to.improve the offensive line a bit and if they do I think he'll win a couple of MVP awards.
    I'd have him as second to Rodgers only this past season.

I think it was a bit of both, Diggs was phenomenal at getting open and making plays down the field, after the catch etc. They both had career years.

There is no doubt Allen is a star but can he keep this standard up, I think it’s a reasonable question at this point. The other guys being mentioned have been doing it for years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

Allen is an interesting one, this season was awesome but it was so far ahead of anything he has done in the past you’d have to wonder if it’s sustainable. A lot of things went right for him and for the Bills, they were very lucky with injuries and Diggs having his best year ever etc. Allen is definitely right up there based on this season however

I kinda have a similar hunch about Allen, but I never thought he would have had a season like 2020. I reckon he has a massive range of outcomes in the next few years. From MVP and Super Bowls to going completely tits up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

If you think this then I think you really don't know what you are talking about.

Couldn't just go with a "well I disagree", no?

I wouldn't say miles off, but there's certainly at least 10 QBs I'd rather than Derek Carr.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I'd agree with that. Carr is borderline top 10. Watson is top 3, particularly when you consider someone who will be around for 5+ years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,511 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

It’s weird not having any football this weekend. I even miss the pro bowl and I’ve not watched it for a few years now.

I wouldn't say miles off, but there's certainly at least 10 QBs I'd rather than Derek Carr.
    Can you name them?
    I'll start it off for you Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson. Six more for you to find now.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭nerd69

Can you name them?
    I'll start it off for you Mahomes, Rodgers, Brady, Wilson. Six more for you to find now.

Allen, watson, stafford, lamar, dak, murray, ryan maby burrow or herbert depends on how they do year two I guess

nerd69 wrote:
    Allen, watson, stafford, lamar, dak, murray, ryan maby burrow or herbert depends on how they do year two I guess
    Have you Matt Ryan and Kyler Murray in there?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,668 ✭✭✭nerd69

Have you Matt Ryan and Kyler Murray in there?

Wouldn't rank either ahead of him I'd have him at about 10 but you where being fairly obnoxious about someone disagreeing with you. Leave both of them out and the rookies of you feel.like it and that puts him at 10 anyway

• Advertisement

Can you name them?

Yes headmaster.

Mahomes
    Rodgers
    Brady
    Wilson
    Allen
    Jackson
    Stafford
    Prescott
    Ryan
    Watson

There's 10 I'd start over Carr without hesitation. And I'm purposefully not including Herbert or Burrow because they were rookies, yet I could be inclined to go with them too. I'd start Big Ben and Murray too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Salary cap expected to be announced at $180m for 2021 season. Better than the rumoured $175m, but still leaves a lot of teams scrambling for cap space.

Justin Herbert won the NFL Pepsi rookie of the year award. This isn’t the one that’ll be announced on Saturday. It’s good to see him get recognised in some way. He played very well after coming in unexpectedly early in the season and showed he had an arm and could take a hit when needed.

Herbert did very well and it was the season of rookies named Justin. Justin Jefferson broke the rookie receiving yards record.
    Very hard to split them for me, a shared award would be nice.

Herbert did very well and it was the season of rookies named Justin. Justin Jefferson broke the rookie receiving yards record.
    Very hard to split them for me, a shared award would be nice.

Well I think that Justin Jefferson may get the NFL honours one on Saturday(although it will be close) and this way they can rightly acknowledge both players.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,826 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Andy Reids son, Britt who is also the Linebackers coach for the Chiefs was involved in an accident that left a 5 year old in a life threatening condition. He admitted to police he was drink driving.

paulie21 wrote: »
    Andy Reids son, Britt who is also the Linebackers coach for the Chiefs was involved in an accident that left a 5 year old in a life threatening condition. He admitted to police he was drink driving.

Ah Christ. Five years old ? Hopefully the child comes out the far side.

You’d think after what happened to his brother years ago he’d cop on a bit. Now it could be a once off thing because I’ve not heard any issues with him unlike Andy Reid’s other son who had substance issues which lead to his death. Also, days before you and your dad are coaching in the super bowl why would you out at all ?

paulie21 wrote: »

I mean, you'd hope the organiser does right and cuts ties with him immediately.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    You’d think after what happened to his brother years ago he’d cop on a bit. Now it could be a once off thing because I’ve not heard any issues with him unlike Andy Reid’s other son who had substance issues which lead to his death.

That is definitely not the case!

https://www.espn.com/nfl/news/story?id=3089753

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/news/20070207_Britt_Reid_faces_gun__drug_charges.html

https://www.espn.com/espn/wire?section=nfl&id=2990244

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

• Advertisement

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Those articles are 15 years old.

And?

I was responding to someone saying it was a one-off and he hadn't been in trouble before. Which isn't the case.

And?

I was responding to someone saying it was a one-off and he hadn't been in trouble before. Which isn't the case.

I said I didn’t remember the incidents from fifteen ****ing years ago. I never said it was a once off incident I said this could be because I didn’t remember them. I remember Andy Reid’s son dying because of drug issues.

So it wasn't a one off thing then. Glad we agree, just clearing it up!

So it wasn't a one off thing then. Glad we agree, just clearing it up!

I wasn’t sure(which I why I said “could be” yet you responded to another poster implying I’d said it was a once off. It’s good that we have people like you who remember every single thing that happens in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭Shedite27

And?

You were responding to someone who said he'd never heard any issues with that son. I think it's perfectly understandable that many of us would never have heard that story 15 years ago.

Fair play for finding or remembering the story, but I can also say I'd never heard of any trouble with that son.

Shedite27 wrote: »
    You were responding to someone who said he'd never heard any issues with that son. I think it's perfectly understandable that many of us would never have heard that story 15 years ago.

Fair play for finding or remembering the story, but I can also say I'd never heard of any trouble with that son.

I didn't remember it, nor did I claim to! It was mentioned in many of the reports I read, so I mentioned it here when someone said this is the first they knew of him being in trouble. It's not like I insulted the poster for not knowing about it? I don't see the problem, some very sensitive people around here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,031 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

I didn't remember it, nor did I claim to! It was mentioned in many of the reports I read, so I mentioned it here when someone said this is the first they knew of him being in trouble. It's not like I insulted the poster for not knowing about it? I don't see the problem, some very sensitive people around here.

Yeah, I don't see what you did wrong to get that reaction.

Some places mentioned that, but for me the far more annoying thing is the number that haven't mentioned his admission of drinking, his DUI history, and are making the story about and prayers for the poor victim Britt Reid - when it should be how his negligence likely played a part in two kids being seriously injured, one far more seriously injured than Reid.

I'm sure we'll get more 'prayers up' for the Britt Reid during the game tomorrow.

I didn’t say it was the first time I’d heard of him being in trouble. I did mention that given that his brother died from drugs years ago I said it could have been a once off.

I’m not sensitive on the whole but it does annoy me when poster say I said something I didn’t when it’s clearly provable what I said.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't see what you did wrong to get that reaction.

Some places mentioned that, but for me the far more annoying thing is the number that haven't mentioned his admission of drinking, his DUI history, and are making the story about and prayers for the poor victim Britt Reid - when it should be how his negligence likely played a part in two kids being seriously injured, one far more seriously injured than Reid.

I'm sure we'll get more 'prayers up' for the Britt Reid during the game tomorrow.

We'll also hear about Tyreek Hill's amazing season, and Eric Bienemy being one of the hottest HC candidates in the league....with not a word about their own indiscretions!

Granted, NFL broadcasts would be even longer if we had to hear about every player and coaches rap sheets....

Advertisement