Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

My dog is getting small bad patches on his body due to his hair tinning out from old age. He is 16 years and over 9 months old.

In other news my other old age dog bit my mothers finger one day and her nail fell off and I got the same treatment from my own dog he bit my finger too but not as bad as my mother got but you can still see the bruising through my nail and the skin around the nail isn't right. Old age they think you have food if you have you hand near them and bite pretty hard as they must be senile.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My dog is getting small bad patches on his body due to his hair tinning out from old age. He is 16 years and over 9 months old.

In other news my other old age dog bit my mothers finger one day and her nail fell off and I got the same treatment from my own dog he bit my finger too but not as bad as my mother got but you can still see the bruising through my nail and the skin around the nail isn't right. Old age they think you have food if you have you hand near them and bite pretty hard as they must be senile.

Have you tried any of the senior supplements like Aktivait for them?

tk123 wrote: »
    Have you tried any of the senior supplements like Aktivait for them?

He is on steroids(for dry skin and arthritis) and sardines. He is just thinning hair on one side and then he caught the side of a car trailer on the other side of his body and has a small bald patch there now and it will never grow back because of his age.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,884 ✭✭✭✭anewme

DBB wrote: »
    Pawprints in Trim are absolutely wonderful to deal with. They will move mountains to accommodate you, and are incredibly understanding, supportive, and gentle.
    (

Are they still working during the lockdown do you know? Our family little one is not well so I want to have info to hand if need be.

Will send them a mail.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,733 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

anewme wrote: »
    Are they still working during the lockdown do you know? Our family little one is not well so I want to have info to hand if need be.

Will send them a mail.

Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear that :(
    Yes, they're an essential service. I assume they answer emails promptly, they certainly always answer the phone, and certainly in my experience have been extremely accommodating and kind.

• Advertisement

DBB wrote: »
    Oh no... I'm so sorry to hear that :(
    Yes, they're an essential service. I assume they answer emails promptly, they certainly always answer the phone, and certainly in my experience have been extremely accommodating and kind.

Thanks a lot.

It's my Mum's little girl. Shes been down before so I'm hoping she will rally back, but want to be ready in case.

Unfortunately, our little one has cancer. It is not advised to operate due to age. Waiting for results of blood tests for next steps.

Unfortunately, our little one has cancer. It is not advised to operate due to age. Waiting for results of blood tests for next steps.

What age is he/she? And is it a cat, dog, other?

What age is he/she? And is it a cat, dog, other?

Our little terrier cross will be 16 in Feb,

We found her outside a traveller camp in 2005 and no one wanted her. So we brought her home and she stayed. We love her very much.

Our little terrier cross will be 16 in Feb,

We found her outside a traveller camp in 2005 and no one wanted her. So we brought her home and she stayed. We love her very much.

She lived to a good age so you are lucky in a way that she only got cancer at this late in life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Sorry to hear about your dog anewme - what an amazing age though and I’m sure she’s had an amazing life with you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

Random thought time... I always think it's a pity the Aquariums / Terrariums / Vivariums forum is largely inactive, there's such a big community of people keeping these animals out there, it's like they just haven't found boards yet.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

VonVix wrote: »
    Random thought time... I always think it's a pity the Aquariums / Terrariums / Vivariums forum is largely inactive, there's such a big community of people keeping these animals out there, it's like they just haven't found boards yet.

Indeed, if anyone has any suggestions as to how to inject a bit of life into it we are all ears.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Justin Credible Darts

VonVix wrote: »

To be fair, with a fish, you feed it, watch it swim and thats it.

Where as with a dog, you have more interaction from taking him out with you, letting him roam around the house, laughing at the insane nonsense they get up to, giving him baths etc.
    Thats before you even get into discussing vets, food, equipment, suppliers, etc

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Thats before you even get into discussing vets, food, equipment, suppliers, etc

All of these things also apply to fish, someone here had a complicated operation done on a goldfish some years ago, food can be frozen, flakes or pouches of eg. Bloodworms. There is a wide range of tanks, filters, air stones etc as well to be discussed. Fish keeping is not quite as simple as non fish keepers believe. I thought all they did was swim around too till I got acquainted with the resident fish in the hospice my granny was in. After that I was a convert and got my own tropical tank. Different fish display different behaviour. For example Siamese fighting fish puff up their gills when they get in a conflict and build bubble nests when you have both a male and a female. I’m sure reptiles are also interesting in their own way.

That's what someone not interested in/no experience with fish would say. :P

I know of loads of people who started out with one fish tank and now have 3+, there's SO much variation when it comes to fish out there, cold water, tropical, brackish, salt water. Then there's variations within them too. I'm currently crazy about shrimp and other aquarium invertebrates.

Then there's how you build a tank, I really want to have a heavily planted tank set up with a colony of cherry shrimp.

I originally thought I'd have no interest in fish keeping until I found myself around it, I thought it was quite boring from the outside. It's fascinating, in reality.

It can be cruel though keeping lizards and fish in far too small a tank than they should have. Even large tanks are too small.

When it comes to fish in most cases there is no such thing as a tank being too big. This is not true for lizards though. Their enclosure needs to be size appropriate for captive bred lizards. They can become very stressed if their enclosure is too big and it can mean some species have difficulty catching their prey.

It can be cruel though keeping lizards and fish in far too small a tank than they should have. Even large tanks are too small.

That's why it's important people get educated on how to care for these animals properly. There's not enough education out there. Too many people still think goldfish bowls are appropriate/normal habitats for goldfish, for example.

All of these things also apply to fish, someone here had a complicated operation done on a goldfish some years ago, food can be frozen, flakes or pouches of eg. Bloodworms. There is a wide range of tanks, filters, air stones etc as well to be discussed. Fish keeping is not quite as simple as non fish keepers believe. I thought all they did was swim around too till I got acquainted with the resident fish in the hospice my granny was in. After that I was a convert and got my own tropical tank. Different fish display different behaviour. For example Siamese fighting fish puff up their gills when they get in a conflict and build bubble nests when you have both a male and a female. I’m sure reptiles are also interesting in their own way.

if you want to be that pedantic then, when was the last time the fish jumped up on the bed with ya
    took him for a walk
    gave him a bath
    acts the maggot.....
    wrecks the house having a giddy spell :D

• Advertisement

Thanks for the recommendations here of Pawprints. They are so lovely. We had our little one pts and they dropped her back today. I'll put a post about her in the departed pets forum when it settles and less upsetting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

To try and look more positively at the current situation we all find ourselves in, I was thinking about how having a pet living in your household can be good for your immunity and how there are plenty of studies and research on the benefit of pet ownership and developing kids immune systems and warding off respiratory ailments and diseases.

Which got me to thinking - does owning a pet boost your immunity to CoVid? Turns out I wasn't the only one thinking it - there have been observations and correlations on (mainly canine) coronaviruses that infect humans. Passed from dog to human in droplet form and in turn may be boosting your immunity towards CoVid.

Here's a couple of articles that are suggesting there is a link - noting that there's nothing concrete yet, but it seems that owning a dog and you contract CoVid, you are more likely to get a milder infection as our immune systems have already been stimulated to provide a canine coronavirus response.

The first link is the indepth look with all the science stuff. The second one basically a round up without the science stuff.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7215164/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7641535/

*As an anecdotal aside to the above, I know 5 people (who own dogs) who have had fairly bad doses. 2 were hospitalised (non ICU) - 4 out of 5 of them have other health issues that would put them in the vulnerable category that has literally left others on life support or worse. I also know plenty of others who have tested positive with little or no symptoms whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’ve actually been researching the same theory regarding COVID-19; I’m approaching it from an academic POV & it’s nice to know I’m not alone in doing so.

For some anecdotal evidence: in my family, those that reside in the US, 1 uncle died from secondary complications due to COVID-19, he was in his 60s, pretty heart heathy and not overweight. 3 1st Cousins between the ages 30 - 35 tested positive with mild symptoms and then my mum, late 60's, health issues along with severe allergies contracted it most likely from a work colleague, major symptoms but is mostly recovered post 12 weeks with no present symptoms.

The uncle that died didn’t have any pets that I’m aware of, the 3 cousins and my mum all have pets/ multiple pets and 2 cousins have babies. I think it’s also important to know that they all live in the Texas to Oklahoma region & the local government attitude towards dealing with the pandemic was slow to say the least.

In our own, I rarely if at all suffer from the common cold, however my OH does & so does our Yorkie. Mind you, I’m also the kind of person who will throw open all the windows on the bus, ya know to let the sickness out and as my OH says it’s too cold in ours for a virus to survive :) we don’t even have the radiators on yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

This is actually not the case at all. There is actually a lot more to their care than that. They are as bad as the dogs for looking for food too. All you have to do is walking into the room & loads of eyes watching you.

The are not necessarily easier than dogs either! One mistake or equipment failure can result in a big loss. There is plenty of tank maintenance in keeping a tank looking good.

em_cat wrote: »
    I’ve actually been researching the same theory regarding COVID-19; I’m approaching it from an academic POV & it’s nice to know I’m not alone in doing so.

For some anecdotal evidence: in my family, those that reside in the US, 1 uncle died from secondary complications due to COVID-19, he was in his 60s, pretty heart heathy and not overweight. 3 1st Cousins between the ages 30 - 35 tested positive with mild symptoms and then my mum, late 60's, health issues along with severe allergies contracted it most likely from a work colleague, major symptoms but is mostly recovered post 12 weeks with no present symptoms.

The uncle that died didn’t have any pets that I’m aware of, the 3 cousins and my mum all have pets/ multiple pets and 2 cousins have babies. I think it’s also important to know that they all live in the Texas to Oklahoma region & the local government attitude towards dealing with the pandemic was slow to say the least.

In our own, I rarely if at all suffer from the common cold, however my OH does & so does our Yorkie. Mind you, I’m also the kind of person who will throw open all the windows on the bus, ya know to let the sickness out and as my OH says it’s too cold in ours for a virus to survive :) we don’t even have the radiators on yet.

I would be fairly healthy too, I rarely, maybe once a year get a mild cold. 5yr old daughter nothing bar the odd cold brought home from school, has never had an antibiotic for a viral infection in her life, she has only had 2 ABs total. Himself tends to get the odd chest infection and is more susceptible to colds etc than I would be. The only thing that scares me is that in 2010 we both got the swine flu and it floored us. That said, we were only a 1 dog household at that point! It just gives me a little bit of hope that if we do end up covid positive before vaccination that we would be lucky enough to get away without serious consequences.

Knine wrote: »
    This is actually not the case at all. There is actually a lot more to their care than that. They are as bad as the dogs for looking for food too. All you have to do is walking into the room & loads of eyes watching you.

The are not necessarily easier than dogs either! One mistake or equipment failure can result in a big loss. There is plenty of tank maintenance in keeping a tank looking good.

I'm glad I don't have to pay attention to the ammonia, nitrate and nitrite levels of my dogs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

@borderlinemeath

I’d say it is to be more likely that those with multi species pet households would fare better in immunity response as you’d be exposed to different SAR -COVID mutations, not forgetting that there are 18 before this 19.

I think the most worrisome aspect of COVID-19 is the secondary effects & complications along with the wide variety of symptoms, so like you I’d hope that I may fare better than my OH, however I’ve such severe allergies to some foods and penicillin & a wide variety of other antibiotics that I’m just not taking any risks to myself or those around me.

Also, those with pets on average, probably have more occurrences of hand washing than say those without and that goes along way towards not picking up viruses.

I can’t remember that last time I had a cold & my OH said he doesn’t remember me ever having one since knowing me +20 years. I do however remember the 2 times I’ve had the flu, once when I was a teenager and then again in 2003. I’ve also had numerous URI infections as well several bouts of Bronchitis throughout my life, related to allergies & asthma.

Anyway, I like to think those of us with pets & probably those in livestock farming, will always fare better in situations like this.

it is said that those that keep dogs have a longer life expectancy, with all the extra walking they do for the dog.

It does sound plausible as most dog owners know wind , heat, snow or rain we are out getting exercise

@borderlinemeath

I’d say it is to be more likely that those with multi species pet households would fare better in immunity response as you’d be exposed to different SAR -COVID mutations, not forgetting that there are 18 before this 19.

No, that's not the case at all. Covid-19 was named for the year of discovery, not that there were 18 previous variants. You're not the first to make that mistake though, even government officials have had to correct themselves for saying it.
    I think the most worrisome aspect of COVID-19 is the secondary effects & complications along with the wide variety of symptoms, so like you I’d hope that I may fare better than my OH, however I’ve such severe allergies to some foods and penicillin & a wide variety of other antibiotics that I’m just not taking any risks to myself or those around me.

It's the wide range of symptoms and absolutely the after effects, collectively known as "long covid" that are scary. While a person who suffered badly may be "fully recovered", who knows the long term organ damage that they may suffer and may have a shorter lifespan due to it.
    Also, those with pets on average, probably have more occurrences of hand washing than say those without and that goes along way towards not picking up viruses.

Not necessarily what the articles were aiming at - moreso that infection with canine coronavirus offers a boost to the human immunity against serious infection with Covid. That being exposed so frequently to canine infections has helped their immunity rather than a higher standard of hygiene.
    Data show that the occurrence of CrCoV is high in dogs, which might suggest that humans who possess a pet can have more frequent contact with different types of canine coronaviruses. Since the infected pets may not have symptoms, the contact of owners with pathogens can be unnoticed
    and
    The analysis showed that the resemblance of the whole sequence between SARS-CoV-2 and Canine Respiratory Coronavirus (CrCoV) is 36.39% (comparing the protein GI QHR63290 to QAY30030). However, further investigation of the epitope sequence shows the high homology: 57.14%, 80.00%, 83.33%, and 100.00% in CrCoV epitopes: 789–799, 754–764, 424–437, and 1139–1152, respectively. Based on the data, we suggest that recurrent contact with animal coronaviruses may lead to immunization. This effect was confirmed by the experimental studies. The investigation conducted by Lu and colleagues, showed that the nucleocapsid protein derived from CrCoV and expressed in E. coli displayed antigenic cross-reactivity with antisera against human coronaviruses

That said, the article doesn't refer to the homology with other species coronaviruses, so who knows?
    I can’t remember that last time I had a cold & my OH said he doesn’t remember me ever having one since knowing me +20 years. I do however remember the 2 times I’ve had the flu, once when I was a teenager and then again in 2003. I’ve also had numerous URI infections as well several bouts of Bronchitis throughout my life, related to allergies & asthma.

I'd be the same, I have only had the flu twice, first time I ever called in sick to work was due to a bad flu and at one point I was so bad I thought I had pneumonia. Second time was the swine flu in 2010.
    Anyway, I like to think those of us with pets & probably those in livestock farming, will always fare better in situations like this.

I have actually had conversations with extended family about their farming lifestyle - recollections of newborn lambs in to warm up at the kitchen fire when they were kids. Their father is a typical old school, rugged hardy man. Is never sick, works the farm, does some building work also and still finds time to train GAA teams in the local club. Their very close cousins who live beside and interact every day - they all caught Covid over Christmas, it swept through every member of their family but didn't get into the farm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

@borderlinemeath

Basically my immune system is down; a side issue of the CFS/ME so I live in permanent isolation as I was already doing a year before the plague arrived. Well, with 7 cats... I am well used o it and even in bad spells as I am in just now, barely able to get up for essentials, the cats ease my life with their love

And this helps all of us; we are less stressed as we have this very special companionship and trust and affection that supports us. Which is a vital element in staying well.

Advertisement