Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Forum Chit-Chat Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Relax guys I was over exaggerating his condition. He is 100% healthy and if he was in a bad way I would be straight into the vets.

Relax guys this is him just now eating the left overs of my dinner. He is perfectly healthy and does not need to be put to sleep. You can see a few bald patches due to age and one bad piece he snagged off against a car but it will not grow back due to his age.

547889.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

So I'm taking my almost 15 year old Cat to the vet tomorrow for blood tests. She is becoming increasingly restless , agitated and roaring at the top of her lungs as though she is being murdered when she tries to talk to me vocal and the vet suspect hyperthyroidism.

She is already on pain meds for her arthritis.

Stressful day ahead for all....:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭sunbeam

*Sigh* So it turns out that she does indeed have hyperthyroidism. Fair play to the vet for picking it up. I'm a bit surprised as they tested for it back in 2019 and she was fine, but I guess with old cats things can change over time.

She will be starting on Thyronorm as soon as I can pick it up next week. I'm not looking for any kind of medical advice here, but am a bit anxious about this to be honest.

On the plus side her kidneys and blood glucose levels are fine.

sunbeam wrote: »
    *Sigh* So it turns out that she does indeed have hyperthyroidism. Fair play to the vet for picking it up. I'm a bit surprised as they tested for it back in 2019 and she was fine, but I guess with old cats things can change over time.

She will be starting on Thyronorm as soon as I can pick it up next week. I'm not looking for any kind of medical advice here, but am a bit anxious about this to be honest.

On the plus side her kidneys and blood glucose levels are fine.

Sorry to hear. Hope she will be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,112 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I'm finding salmon oil very hard to come by this year, beginning to think it's one of the products negatively impacted by Brexit. Any logic in that?

Any recommendations for where it may be in stock?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I'm finding salmon oil very hard to come by this year, beginning to think it's one of the products negatively impacted by Brexit. Any logic in that?

Any recommendations for where it may be in stock?

I get omega wild from healthy hounds https://healthyhoundsnutrition.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjw9YWDBhDyARIsADt6sGake1elFfPkWEhFjA6LhpVIRFzOc8jgN0G9DjrVqfdpF6beNS1gI8IaAu4uEALw_wcB

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is this animal cruelty? look at the state of it, look at the conditions its living in

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

fryup wrote: »
    is this animal cruelty? look at the state of it, look at the conditions its living in

No, it's in good condition. Likely that's a yard or area it's being fed in so it's more mucked up than the rest. I'd assume it has access to other ground as it's clean so isn't lying in muck.
    Not ideal but not cruelty imo.

really? like to get the horse's opinion on that?

• Advertisement

really? like to get the horse's opinion on that?

Have you seen everywhere the horse has access to? If the horse lived in conditions like that 24/7 it would not be so clean or well conditioned.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

<snip>

Mod note
    fryup, please note that it is specifically forbidden in the forum charter to link to Donedeal for discussion of animal sales ads.
    Thanks,
    DBB

If the horse lived in conditions like that 24/7 it would not be so clean or well conditioned.

clean? think you need to go to specsavers....and it also looks miserable & neglected
    Mod note
    fryup, please note that it is specifically forbidden in the forum charter to link to Donedeal for discussion of animal sales

point taken,

for future ref: am i allowed mention it?...e.g. "there's an ad on donedeal at the moment that looks suspect" and no link, is that acceptable?

clean? think you need to go to specsavers....and it also looks miserable & neglected

fryup,
    I was prepared to let your first reply to Lady Haywire go, but following this 2nd reply, I must remind you that there is a requirement in this forum that people are respectful towards one another. You don't have to agree with one another, but sarky comments are uncalled for when somebody offers an opinion that's contrary to your own.
    Thanks,
    DBB

Do you expect a horse living outside to look like a racehorse?
    You asked a question. I gave my view on its condition, without assuming it was left in that area all the time. Why ask the question if you'd already decided on an answer.

As mod says above this discussion isn't allowed anyway.

edit- Sorry DBB, cross posted.

no i don't expect it to look like a racehorse, i expect it to look modestly clean and looked after....and that horse definitely isn't

for future ref: am i allowed mention it?...e.g. "there's an ad on donedeal at the moment that looks suspect" and no link, is that acceptable?

Mod note
    Hello fryup,
    No, it's against the spirit of the rule. You're still drawing attention to somebody else's animal, and more importantly drawing inferences about how the animal is kept, whilst knowing nothing about the facts behind the picture(s). This is why the rule was brought in in the first place.
    This post marks the end of this discussion for all.
    Thanks,
    DBB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I bought a little toothbrush and toothpaste for moose today because he’s been getting some plaque built up on his teeth. I figured he wouldn’t mind it because he likes to put my finger in his mouth, not bite, just sit there and fall asleep with my thumb against his teeth. (Yes my cat is weird).
    Anyway, I was very proud of him, he let me brush three teeth before he got fed up with me and I completely ruined my efforts by giving him three dreamies to make up for it :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Just wondering how long I should expect to wait for blood test results from the vet for a cat? The bloods were taken on Monday evening so probably not sent off until Tuesday. I'm really anxious waiting for them as there are signs it could be FIP :(.

Oh there’s nothing worse than waiting! Luckily my vets does most of the testing in house so no waiting but Bailey had a sample taken from a lump on a Sunday so I assumed sent off Monday and the vet called me on the Wednesday. I’d call - there’s nothing to lose? He’s actually going in on Friday to have it removed - it’s benign but they don’t want to leave it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I know, it's the worst! We have to drop in some stool samples tomorrow so I'll ask then. I'm afraid the silence is a bad sign in this case, but I could be completely catastrophising too.

Faith wrote: »
    I know, it's the worst! We have to drop in some stool samples tomorrow so I'll ask then. I'm afraid the silence is a bad sign in this case, but I could be completely catastrophising too.

No news is good news at our vets!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

I bought a little toothbrush and toothpaste for moose today because he’s been getting some plaque built up on his teeth. I figured he wouldn’t mind it because he likes to put my finger in his mouth, not bite, just sit there and fall asleep with my thumb against his teeth. (Yes my cat is weird).
    Anyway, I was very proud of him, he let me brush three teeth before he got fed up with me and I completely ruined my efforts by giving him three dreamies to make up for it :pac:

You can get meat flavoured toothpaste that you put on a dogs paw and they lick it off end up cleaning their teeth that way. I presume you could use it for cats too.

Its about €12 at the vets and lasts us for a year with a GSD.

micah537 wrote: »
    You can get meat flavoured toothpaste that you put on a dogs paw and they lick it off end up cleaning their teeth that way. I presume you could use it for cats too.

Its about €12 at the vets and lasts us for a year with a GSD.

The toothbrush I got came with a cheese flavoured toothpaste which he seems to tolerate so far :D might go for a meatier flavoured one when he inevitably gets fed up of this one :pac:

Well my dog has made it to his 17th Birthday. I cannot believe it. I remember the day I picked him up and stopped at a petrol station and let him walk around and he shot off across the forecourt and me running after him. He was a cool dude. I also remember back to another day when he was still a pup and the small sharp teeth they have. I was lying down on the grass with a t-shirt on and he comes up to me and bites me on the stomach with those sharp teeth. He was a gas dog(still is in ways) but you can't beat a young dog.

17 years old. He hit the mile stone who knows how long I will have him for. He is still in good health.

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭frosty123

QUICK QUESTION: Are electric shock collars for dogs cruel?

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭micah537

frosty123 wrote: »

Yes. Test one out on your neck and see.

Most dogs are trainable with patience. What is your problem with the dog? Someone here might be able to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭VonVix

frosty123 wrote: »

I generally think, if you have to ask the question if something is cruel, chances are... it is!

Not only are they a bad idea, but people are mostly unaware that shock collars can create new problem behaviours such as fear related dog aggression or human aggression when used.

[Dog Training + Behaviour Nerd]

Bit the bullet and brought a dog grooming kit as my ****zu mix rescue had 3 months of growth-1 hour later and I’m proud of what I achieved but great respect now for dog groomers- don’t understand why groomers aren’t allowed to practice if just driving into your driveway

• Advertisement

Bit the bullet and brought a dog grooming kit as my ****zu mix rescue had 3 months of growth-1 hour later and I’m proud of what I achieved but great respect now for dog groomers- don’t understand why groomers aren’t allowed to practice if just driving into your driveway

I found after the first lockdown, most owners had a new found respect for me grooming their dogs. The tips and presents definitely grew around Christmas :pac:

Advertisement