Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Christmas Racing: Leopardstown, Kempton, Chepstow

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Kauto wrote: »
    Patrick gave Melon an absolute shocker. Id be surprised if he didn't get a box in the face from Willie. He was the main cause of the Mullins camp not winning the race. Crazy ride.

Fair enough, blaming patrick for melon not winning or whatever is a legitimate debating point, but blaming him for kemboy not winning just seems like ott hypercriticism to me. It's not team tactics there as far as i know anyway.

Personally i thought patrick rode a brave, imaginative race, though many will no doubt disagree. Horse was keen, as ever, tanking along so he let it stride on, rode it like a stayer and he stayed, just came up short as he tends to do. Nothing new there. Maybe lost it at second last where he didn't see a stride, i wouldn't hammer jockey for that anyway. Even davy said before that jump he thought he had the race nearly won. Not sure he'd have won even with a good jump there, but it does show the margins between a great ride and a "shocker" can be pretty fine sometimes.

Anyway, i think it shows the horse is a stayer though where he'd fit into the current pecking order is tricky to gauge. I think a king george on decent ground would be a good fit for one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I think the really good horses always cover up jockey errors and bad decisions.

A Plus Tard looks to be a genuine stayer - albeit on soft/heavy ground. In fairness he has taken a few names now - Chacun Por Soi, Kemboy , Mellon , only just beaten by Min in last years Ryanair.

I think if you don't get 3 miles at Leopardstown you can't get 3m2 1/2f's at the festival. Given that the same owners are going for the treble I can only see Mellon going Ryanair, where he would have a lovely chance.

Coneygree wrote: »
    Yeah, I know it's not their real job and only a top up to the wages but jockey's columns are often as dull as dishwater.

My point exactly, it is nice to see him speaking his mind. Most of those columns are pure ghostwritten muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Fair enough, blaming patrick for melon not winning or whatever is a legitimate debating point, but blaming him for kemboy not winning just seems like ott hypercriticism to me. It's not team tactics there as far as i know anyway.

Personally i thought patrick rode a brave, imaginative race, though many will no doubt disagree. Horse was keen, as ever, tanking along so he let it stride on, rode it like a stayer and he stayed, just came up short as he tends to do. Nothing new there. Maybe lost it at second last where he didn't see a stride, i wouldn't hammer jockey for that anyway. Even davy said before that jump he thought he had the race nearly won. Not sure he'd have won even with a good jump there, but it does show the margins between a great ride and a "shocker" can be pretty fine sometimes.

Anyway, i think it shows the horse is a stayer though where he'd fit into the current pecking order is tricky to gauge. I think a king george on decent ground would be a good fit for one.

I would certainly agree with the bolded part anyway. And I think most of the time the thin margin between a great ride and a shocker is the critiques pocket!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭RivetingRoger

Gordon at home with Covid
    His horses reported to be coughing and pulled from Limerick today

Explains a lot
    Knew Abacadabras, Percy and Ballyadam were too bad to be true
    That yard not operating at full tilt at all

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

Gordon at home with Covid
    His horses reported to be coughing and pulled from Limerick today

Explains a lot
    Knew Abacadabras, Percy and Ballyadam were too bad to be true
    That yard not operating at full tilt at all
    and what does having covid got to do with his horses running

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭costacorta

Anniepowaa wrote: »
    and what does having covid got to do with his horses running

Maybe they were close contacts ðŸ˜႒

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Anniepowaa

costacorta wrote: »
    Maybe they were close contacts ðŸ˜႒

Absolute straw clutching just because Abacadabras bang average

Pogue eile wrote: »
    Only catching up with this thread/forum now and I'm not sure if it is good or bad news for you but I have done the exact same bet :D

My best bet over the Christmas period is Secret Reprieve in the Welsh National, got 10s two weeks ago, best price 7/2 now but still juice in that, horse is officially 8lbs well in and I think he is value for a few more.

I'm also told that Ha D'or is very highly thought of by those in the know at Closutton, is currently available at 50s for the Triumph and is expected to run in Leopardstown.

Worth the wait!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,567 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Worth the wait!!

Will He win the aintree national ?

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »

Be very interesting to see what the handicapper does with him, as I said I thought the 12lbs rise was lenient and he is almost certainly still on the upgrade, has only raced 9 times in total.

He won the trial off 130, won today off 142 and imo was worth more than the winning margin, if he gets raised to 150 he would have a lovely racing weight of just over 10st.

25/1 seems fair, I will wait and see what the handicapper does first.

I do have another one in mind for the national who finished down the field in todays race, just have no idea if the national is his target or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

He won it snugly in the end, considering his girth snapped I think before 2 out, he certainly had the snapped girth going over the last.

He doesn't stand a chance against Discorama.

It will be interesting to see what mark he gets now.

Is The Conditional entered in Aintree?

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    He doesn't stand a chance against Discorama.

It will be interesting to see what mark he gets now.

Is The Conditional entered in Aintree?

Entries not open yet.

Problem with Discorama is that he keeps running well without actually winning so not sure he is very well handicapped, an interesting one though for sure if it was confirmed as a target.

The one I was refferirng to above that I quite like is Lord Du Mesnil.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Entries not open yet.

Problem with Discorama is that he keeps running well without actually winning so not sure he is very well handicapped, an interesting one though for sure if it was confirmed as a target.

The one I was refferirng to above that I quite like is Lord Du Mesnil.

Lord Du Mesnil overheated again on Saturday in the welsh national and trainer also said the ground wasn’t as heavy as he wanted it. He’s not exactly a plot job for the big one in April unless it’s bottomless!

https://twitter.com/RHBloodstock/status/1348006628285673472?s=20

Cheers, was holding off until there was some indication that Aintree was the plan.

Back to the drawing board for now, but mindful that 90% of what comes out of Trainers mouths is scutter!

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Be very interesting to see what the handicapper does with him, as I said I thought the 12lbs rise was lenient and he is almost certainly still on the upgrade, has only raced 9 times in total.

He won the trial off 130, won today off 142 and imo was worth more than the winning margin, if he gets raised to 150 he would have a lovely racing weight of just over 10st.

25/1 seems fair, I will wait and see what the handicapper does first.

I do have another one in mind for the national who finished down the field in todays race, just have no idea if the national is his target or not.

Incredibly the handicapper has only put him up to 144, I have him at least 6lbs higher with a P beside it. My first reaction was brilliant now where is that 25/1 but now that I am thinking about it, will he get in off 144? Should do but not guaranteed.

Advertisement