Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Equality of marriage and love

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,204 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Some ought to ask Graham Linehan if it's time for a new line of t-shirts. Feckin' Irish! They invented gayness!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Just back from a visit to my parents.

My mother isn't a happy bunny at all.

"Well, *we* fecking lost."

That's democracy for you.

"Hmph, it was all the voters who came back home to vote Yes that won it."

I explain how, if that's the case, you'd be able to walk across the Irish sea without getting your feet wet so many ferries would be needed.

"Hah! Typical you and your smart-@rsed answers! You voted Yes didn't you?"

Of course (Points at Irish Examiner next to her with photos of happy people celebrating) Isn't it grand to give some joy and happiness to people and it didn't cost me anything more than some shoe leather?

(Mutters something about how it'll all end in tears and changes the subject).

That's me out of the will then and no mistake. Voting "Yes" is tantamount to coming out as gay in her eyes.

I didn't bother visiting my parents this weekend. There's no way that I would have kept quiet about voting Yes, how happy I am that LGBT's are finally treated as equals, and what wake up call it has been for the church and its followers.

I've already had a few heated arguments with my staunch catholic parents, and was told that I had no soul. The word 'liberal' is highly offensive to my mam, but she throws it at me. I can handle a good debate fine, but my folks get red-faced with anger and I sometimes get the feeling that they want to chase me out the door. Maybe they hold back because I gave them grandchildren, I'm not sure.

Anyway, I'll rub their faces in it next weekend. Sunday afternoon when I'm suffering from a late night session. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

My mother voted No out of homophobia and spite. Just in case any apologists claiming that nobody on the anti side has anything against The Gays are looking in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Brilliant! I guess the other couple of hundred atheists out there must be in stitches!

How's those lemons after Saturday Dan?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

smokingman wrote: »

Dan doesn't suck, just blows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Brilliant! I guess the other couple of hundred atheists out there must be in stitches!

It makes me feel nauseous, tbh - but it's not the dark humour I find sickening, it's the fact that it's based on truth. You'd prefer to pretend it's grand that a prophet looked up to by millions as the founder of their religion married a six year old and had sex with her at 9, would you? Let's not mention anything that might upset those nice people of faith, eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Wow! That's classy. You are a credit to all athesits.

Making fun of a paedophile lacks class?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,103 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

Well done to the yes side but TBH apart from a lot of the OLE OLE OLE OLE post referendum stufff the concerns of those who gave the matter some serious thought are still there on Sunday.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Made with new improved surrogacy stork.

11377324_944137755628934_7124466195342459335_n.jpg?oh=d9a257ee326c22a17dbcd62e9512d552&oe=55FAABF3

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Wow! That's classy. You are a credit to all athesits.

Comes into a thread where religion gets mocked to complain about posters mocking religion :confused:

• Advertisement

Comes into a thread where religion gets mocked to complain about posters mocking religion :confused:

Not complaining, just making an observation.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭Alexis Sanchez

Not complaining, just making an observation.

In your opinion, why does the picture lack class?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭smokingman

Well done to the yes side but TBH apart from a lot of the OLE OLE OLE OLE post referendum stufff the concerns of those who gave the matter some serious thought are still there on Sunday.

The concerns of those who gave it serious thought won Dan. Those who accepted blind dogma lost.

The concerns of those who gave it serious thought won Dan. Those who accepted blind dogma lost.

My vote had zero to do with dogma. And what is really sickening is watching all these politicians being best buddies with the gay community when only 20 odd years ago they regarded them as criminals.I have always regarded gay people as absolutely equal and in fact most of them that I know would be dead sound.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

I've already had a few heated arguments with my staunch catholic parents, and was told that I had no soul.
    My mother voted No out of homophobia and spite.
    Same for Popette who raved at me this morning by phone, out of the blue, thusly:
    Popette wrote:
    "It's your generation and your kid's generation who will pay the terrible price for this." "Total moral collapse by the country having sold out to the EU and other totalitarians" "You have no moral sense yourself, the government are moral cowards and the gays and lesbians are disgusting" "you probably voted yes, like your brothers and sisters" "Do you know that they'll be letting lesbians into the classroom to tell your child about dildos? Dildos!"
    But the "yes" side was the aggressive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

When will my children be gay adopted, that's what I want to know? They were wrecking my head on a few occasions over the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Shrap

robindch wrote: »
    But the "yes" side was the aggressive side.
    "Do you know that they'll be letting lesbians into the classroom to tell your child about dildos? Dildos!"

Funny how those who feel the most puritanical seem to be more prurient than most people. My mother, born and raised to be very protestant about her sexuality, would never let the word "dildo" pass her lips (no pun intended ;) ), not even when I called my fine big cockerel Dildo.

I used to consider myself kind of hard done by with her disapproval of my...um...flamboyance, but considering she manages to see people as human beings and nearly all her best friends are gay, she's a bit of a heroine to me these days for the way she's risen above her roots. All of you who have such unappealing relatives have my sincere sympathy. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,948 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

My vote had zero to do with dogma. And what is really sickening is watching all these politicians being best buddies with the gay community when only 20 odd years ago they regarded them as criminals.I have always regarded gay people as absolutely equal and in fact most of them that I know would be dead sound.

Seeing politicians move from a ridiculous position to an eminently sensible position is 'sickening to watch'? Whah?

Seeing politicians move from a ridiculous position to an eminently sensible position is 'sickening to waltch'? Whah?

The change of attitude is to be welcomed it's the hypocrisy thats sickening.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I have always regarded gay people as absolutely equal...
    ...where "absolutely" means "mostly", apparently.

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    When will my children be gay adopted, that's what I want to know? They were wrecking my head on a few occasions over the weekend.

Yeah... about that....

We don't want them.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Yeah... about that....

We don't want them.
    :eek:

That was why I voted yes.

Mod: Regarding the chatter concerning the alleged shifting of our politicians - chilllllllllllax folks - it's a nice day out and I'd hate to have to reach into the drawer near my desk for my pack of yellow + red cards.

Thanking youze.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭galljga1

Same for Popette who raved at me this morning by phone, out of the blue, thusly:But the "yes" side was the aggressive side.

That's brilliant.
    Dildos!

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Vivisectus

On a completely off-topic note, we need a new word for those. Where did that word come from anyway?

In my opinion, no sexual aid should sound like the name for one of the Baggins family from the Hobbit. It is the most unerotic name imaginable.

lazygal wrote: »
    :eek:

That was why I voted yes.

we know.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Vivisectus wrote: »
    [...] no sexual aid should sound like the name for one of the Baggins family from the Hobbit [...]
    You've read 'Bored of the Rings'?

http://lotr.wikia.com/wiki/Bored_of_the_Rings
    http://www.theguardian.com/books/booksblog/2011/feb/08/tolkien-bored-of-the-rings

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Vivisectus wrote: »
    On a completely off-topic note, we need a new word for those. Where did that word come from anyway?

In my opinion, no sexual aid should sound like the name for one of the Baggins family from the Hobbit. It is the most unerotic name imaginable.

I was on a computer course in St John's many years ago and the instructor, whose name was Buffy :D, lived in a town called Dildo. :D:D

Legislation on school and hospital staff to be amended to prohibit discrimination based on sexuality

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/legislation-on-school-and-hospital-staff-to-be-amended-1.2224454

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭freyners

Legislation on school and hospital staff to be amended to prohibit discrimination based on sexuality

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/legislation-on-school-and-hospital-staff-to-be-amended-1.2224454

I'm not following the article at all when it says this
    The legislation would offer protections to staff of religious-run medical and educational institutions who are members of the LGBT community or those who are single parents. At the same time, the Bill would allow institutions to maintain their religious ethos. The amendment is to be drafted in the Department of Justice and Mr Ó Ríordáin hopes to have it passed through the Dáil and Seanad by the end of the year.

surely this just maintains the status quo if silly ethos reason is left in

Advertisement