Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Exit poll: The post referendum thread. No electioneering.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:
    Except it doesn't. Ulster does not equal Northern Ireland, or Norn Iron as you put it. Secondly, all results so far show majority YES votes. Ignorant comments.

Also there is no Connacht/Ulster constituency outside of European elections.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Graces7 wrote: »
    They are not backward. In fact they show true civilisation

Yup by voting Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

wexie wrote: »
    And how did they do that?

By voting yes?

eejit

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

2:1 would disagree with you.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

CruelCoin wrote:
    You can be as salty and chippy as you like, but when you consistently vote in lower proportion in favour of progressive change, then people have a right to question why that is.

You might wanna read the links you post :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Nope, I hope its religious out of schools.

What I plan on doing in the next week is finding out what you need to do to become a charity and try and find out what charity work IONA do. Where are they when the homeless need them, the walk into night mental health services, I have them in my sights.

I'm in Mattie's constituency, what's my chances of getting him to help me. :D

**** that as i am an RE teacher :pac: But i do agree in a reform on religious education in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Sheeps wrote: »
    Why are people on a witch hunt for counties who share a different trend in their stance on this?

Some people talk about others as if they are open and progressive, but when it comes to having a different viewpoint, they are closed to people who don't share their viewpoint, putting up a barrier that doesn't need to be put up.
    Or else they have issues with democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭vg88

Katie ascough on full scale denial about the vote :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

It's still a lot different from 82/18 regardless.

Boards was always going to be higher. Everyone knew that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Tippex

Billy86 wrote: »
    If he ensured to do his christian duty and insisted that all fornication be for procreational reasons, he would not be in that mess.

You do realise that the Ireland of today is a multi cultural country and being a husband is not exclusive to christian’s so please do stop spouting tripe.

Just so that you can understand my position in all this. I would love to have more kids but my wife has categorically said no since our youngest (16 next month) was born. If it turned out that my wife was pregnant and decided to have an abortion I would be absolutely devastated (not sure how things would work out, hopefully never happens) but she is fully aware of my feelings on that I would be 100% against it.

However that did not stop me from voting a resounding yes as I have seen first hand down the years the turmoil that this has caused girls, women and families. Too many times has a guy got a girl pregnant and it has been left to the girl to deal with the consequences.

I am not getting into a discussion about what is right and wrong but we live in a democracy and decisions like this should be allowed to each individual affected

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

CruelCoin wrote: »
    2:1 would disagree with you.

So? Quality not quantity.. and who cares then

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Nope, I hope its religious out of schools.

That won't happen.

The RCC still control the bulk of primary schools.

And the growth of the RoP points to faith schools having a strong future, like they do in the UK.

For me, drugs are the next fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

Just lifting the rug and shining a light.

Sometimes the dirty patches need to be examined before you clean.

By dirty patches I take it you mean standing up for the unborn?

Your posts are increasingly disturbing. As I advised a bit of sensitivity wouldn't go amiss. You didn't win the lottery here. The losers are not posting on this thread. The losers have yet to be conceived but of course we are no longer allowed talk about them.

I feel Irish society has come full circle in a horrific way. Now it is no longer seen as acceptable to represent or give a say in any way shape or form to unborn children.

Along with other recent scandals and corruption in Irish life in the health, banking and justice departments and presided over by the same politicians who are advocating unrestricted abortion up to 12 weeks this country truely has gone downhill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

Screenshot_20180526_155450.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

In a referendum it is very much quantity that matters

• Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Quantity is basically the only thing that matters in a referendum, sorry to break it to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,671 ✭✭✭GarIT

It's 100% over now, No is 600,000 votes behind with less than 500,000 votes to be counted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Have you figured out which of the below which are more in line with our current abortion laws and so 'true civilizations' to you than basically all of the western world? I mean, if you truly consider Ireland to be uncivilised, well then maybe this isn't the place for you after all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abortion_law
    Angola, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Gabon, São Tomé and Príncipe, South Sudan, Egypt, Libya, Lesotho, Djibouti, Madagascar, Malawi, Mauritius, Somalia, Iraq, Andorra, San Marino, Lebanon, Syria, Yemen, Lesotho, Guatemala, Honduras, Paraguay, Suriname, Venezuela, Tonga, Tuvalu, Papua New Guinea, Solomon Islands, Micronesia, Marshall Islands, Kiribati, Palau.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Is it not being a sore loser though?

"Don't celebrate too hard lads, you'll hurt my feelings".

We've moved on from mothers dying unessecarily and you don't want celebrations?

I am a yes voter.

I dont like triumphalist gloating and slagging people off for their opposing opinions.

Try to keep up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

Why are people on a witch hunt for counties who share a different trend in their stance on this?

Just lifting the rug and shining a light.

Sometimes the dirty patches need to be examined before you clean.
    That is a truly repulsive statement. I was a yes voter most friends and colleagues were yes voters. You have no right to call a full county backward, on the basis of this vote.
    I am personally disappointed that Donegal seems to have voted no, but there are other factors especially older population.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Omackeral wrote: »
    Agreed. Calling counties backwards that bloody had a majority YES vote too. Even if every constituency went with YES, one still has to be the lowest! Silly carry on.

Extremely silly and only seeking to inflame an urban-rural divide. In every country that I know of, rural area's would be known for being more "conservative", its not an exclusively Irish phenomenon.

Anyway, in the likes of Roscommon, there would be a lower percentage of young people, this would have effected the Yes percentage for a start. also, considering. There were only 40,000 votes there also, to turn that 57% Yes to 67% Yes would only be 4,000 votes, to put it into a bit of a grander context.

Zonda999 wrote:
    Extremely silly and only seeking to inflame an urban-rural divide. In every country that I know of, rural area's would be known for being more "conservative", its not an exclusively Irish phenomenon.

Plus the poster hasn't even an iota what they are talking about.

There is no 'Connacht/Ulster' constituency outside of European elections

• Registered Users Posts: 21,152 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

_Dara_ wrote: »
    It's still a lot different from 82/18 regardless.

I think those figures were the 83 referendum

Tippex wrote: »
    You do realise that the Ireland of today is a multi cultural country and being a husband is not exclusive to christian’s so please do stop spouting tripe.

Just so that you can understand my position in all this. I would love to have more kids but my wife has categorically said no since our youngest (16 next month) was born. If it turned out that my wife was pregnant and decided to have an abortion I would be absolutely devastated (not sure how things would work out, hopefully never happens) but she is fully aware of my feelings on that I would be 100% against it.

However that did not stop me from voting a resounding yes as I have seen first hand down the years the turmoil that this has caused girls, women and families. Too many times has a guy got a girl pregnant and it has been left to the girl to deal with the consequences.

I am not getting into a discussion about what is right and wrong but we live in a democracy and decisions like this should be allowed to each individual affected
    It was a mocking turnaround on the "if she didn't want to get pregnant she should have kept her legs closed" nonsense we've been getting endless amounts of on the 8th threads for the last many, many months, including in cases of failed contraception and rape cases. The poster I was responding to is emblematic of that mindset.

In other words, it wasn't to be taken seriously. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭It wasnt me123

..........., the continuation of life on Earth is at complete discretion of women.

yep, you got it, well done.

Its our bodies, its our eggs, its our uterus and as of yesterday nobody else has a say in it except us.

I am over the moon, so so happy for the women of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Try to keep up.

Yeah, because you're the paragon of all human virtue and the benchmark by which we should all set ourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Tippex wrote: »

The point being made was in contrast to one often made about women wanting abortions, that if they didn’t get pregnant or practiced abstinence etc then they wouldn’t need an abortion.

The same could be applied to men, that if men are concerned about babies being aborted then they shouldn’t get women pregnant.

But it’s a nonsense argument obviously because people have sex for reasons other than procreation and accidents happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

_Dara_ wrote: »

That was the Donegal split in 83.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭Deusexmachina

Yeah, because you're the paragon of all human virtue and the benchmark by which we should all set ourselves.

I must have touched a nerve there. Sorry.

• Advertisement

joe40 wrote: »
    That is a truly repulsive statement. I was a yes voter most friends and colleagues were yes voters. You have no right to call a full county backward, on the basis of this vote.
    I am personally disappointed that Donegal seems to have voted no, but there are other factors especially older population.
    This is very true, as it also was in 2015 for Roscommon/South Leitrim. I would love to see all constituencies go YES, but if not at least the outliers have explanation as to why and still kept it close.

Advertisement