Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Madeleine McCann

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

She wandered out herself, something happened (car accident/paedo)
    limnam wrote: »
    The statement made was she did not refuse to co-operate.

She did. As a suspect.

Still skewing facts to suit your own theories then. That’s ok. It’s very clear to anyone reading what you’re up to.

You can’t keep giving half a story to allude to their guilt and not expect to be called out on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭limnam

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Still skewing facts to suit your own theories then. That’s ok. It’s very clear to anyone reading what you’re up to.

You can’t keep giving half a story to allude to their guilt and not expect to be called out on it.

I didn't skew any facts.

I stated facts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

I’m not at all up to speed with the theories but I saw earlier on the journal ie site ppl saying that this German guy was being mentioned as a convenient person to pin the case on and then close it, a few years ago.

Is that true?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Something Else
    I’m not at all up to speed with the theories but I saw earlier on the journal ie site ppl saying that this German guy was being mentioned as a convenient person to pin the case on and then close it, a few years ago.

Is that true?

The guy was a person of interest before but they eliminated him as a suspect years ago (2013 I think) and the only thing that's changed since is in 2017 he drunkenly boasted he knew about Maddie.

I didn't skew any facts.

I stated facts.

If you were posting honesty you would acknowledge all the questions had previously answered but again, that doesn’t suit your narrative.

Yes it’s true Kate didn’t answer those 40 questions when she was named a suspect, but it is also true that she had answered those questions several times over while being questioned as a witness and was told by her legal advisor not to answer them again.

One scenario paints a picture of a woman who wouldn’t cooperate with the police to find her missing child, the other explains how the police already had all the relevant information and she was not answering because she was legally advised that the police were trying to blame her for Madeleines disappearance.

Two very different scenarios, as I’m sure you agree.

• Advertisement

If you were posting honesty you would acknowledge all the questions had previously answered but again, that doesn’t suit your narrative.

Yes it’s true Kate didn’t answer those 40 questions when she was named a suspect, but it is also true that she had answered those questions several times over while being questioned as a witness and was told by her legal advisor not to answer them again.

One scenario paints a picture of a woman who wouldn’t cooperate with the police to find her missing child, the other explains how the police already had all the relevant information and she was not answering because she was legally advised that the police were trying to blame her for Madeleines disappearance.

Two very different scenarios, as I’m sure you agree.

The point was made she did co-operate.

This is not true.

She did not co-operate when made a suspect.

That is a fact. Nothing skewed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Rock77

The point was made she did co-operate.

This is not true.

She did not co-operate when made a suspect.

That is a fact. Nothing skewed.

I am new to this thread and not up to speed with the facts of the case..

When you said she did not co operate as a suspect and refused to answer questions you were using this as part of the reasoning to be suspicious of the parents and when I read it I have to say it peaked my interest and got me thinking... however...

Having been told by another poster that she already answered all these questions and was fully co operating until she was made a suspect, that kind of changes my thinking on it.

Watching you back peddle and saying ‘ I stated facts’ is very telling also. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Like a movie I seen..

Guy is convicted of having sex with a minor Years ago and it’s brought up in court to discredit him..

They didn’t say however, he was 17 she was 16 at the time, they later married and had two kids...

Rock77 wrote: »
    I am new to this thread and not up to speed with the facts of the case..

When you said she did not co operate as a suspect and refused to answer questions you were using this as part of the reasoning to be suspicious of the parents and when I read it I have to say it peaked my interest and got me thinking... however...

Having been told by another poster that she already answered all these questions and was fully co operating until she was made a suspect, that kind of changes my thinking on it.

Watching you back peddle and saying ‘ I stated facts’ is very telling also. You knew exactly what you were doing.

Like a movie I seen..

Guy is convicted of having sex with a minor Years ago and it’s brought up in court to discredit him..

They didn’t say however, he was 17 she was 16 at the time, they later married and had two kids...

You don't think her refusal to answer questions as a suspect not important.

That's ok.

I think it's very important. Regardless of what was answered before that.

And that's ok, it's a decisive case.

We don't need to see things the same way.

If someone says she did co-operate. It's not true. No matter what way you want to spin. She refused to co-operate when she was a suspect. Nothing here but facts.

You don't think her refusal to answer questions as a suspect not important.

That's ok.

I think it's very important. Regardless of what was answered before that.

And that's ok, it's a decisive case.

We don't need to see things the same way.

If someone says she did co-operate. It's not true. No matter what way you want to spin. She refused to co-operate when she was a suspect. Nothing here but facts.

But she did cooperate as a witness. Important to note that when you are trying to imply she would not assist the police in their search for her daughter.

You keep misrepresenting these ‘facts’ in such a way that would allude to the guilt of her parents. It’s important to give a clear picture of what actually happened.

It’s extremely disingenuous to say she refused to cooperate and answer questions as a suspect while failing to acknowledge that she was legally advised not to as she has already answered all these questions before, several times over, as a witness.

It’s just word salading of the highest order on your part.

But she did cooperate as a witness. Important to note that when you are trying to imply she would not assist the police in their search for her daughter.

You keep misrepresenting these ‘facts’ in such a way that would allude to the guilt of her parents. It’s important to give a clear picture of what actually happened.

It’s extremely disingenuous to say she refused to cooperate and answer questions as a suspect while failing to acknowledge that she was legally advised not to as she has already answered all these questions before, several times over, as a witness.

It’s just word salading of the highest order on your part.

She refused to co-operate as a suspect.

All good there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

She refused to co-operate as a suspect.

All good there.

I also didn't cooperate with the Portuguese police. I also didn't sign a confession in my own blood, in triplicate. All theses things are facts.

cnocbui wrote: »
    I also didn't cooperate with the Portuguese police. I also didn't sign a confession in my own blood, in triplicate. All theses things are facts.

That's very interesting.

Were you a suspect?

Seems like a weird thing to come out and say.

But anyway. We can't ignore evidence we don't have.

The portuguse had enough to make Mrs.McCann a suspect who wouldn't assist them and then fled the country.

But sure. Lets focus on some German guy who hasn't been as much as questioned as far as I understand.

Hopefully unlike Mrs.McCann he'll assist the police in whatever way he can.

You are clearly saying here that Mrs McCann would not assist the police. You conveniently left out that she had already been assisting them, repeatedly.

Some German guy? U mean a convicted pedophile who was in the area at the time and had mentioned he knew what happened to the child..

A lot of people myself included are firmly on the fence with this and have no idea who to suspect so we are not trying to argue one way or the other, what you are doing however is presenting an argument with selective ‘facts’ of the parents guilt. Why are you doing that?

You are clearly saying here that Mrs McCann would not assist the police. You conveniently left out that she had already been assisting them, repeatedly.

I am clearly saying it now.

She refused to co-operate with the police as a suspect.

There's no hidden agenda. It's very important this for me. If you don't think so. That's fine.
    Y
    Some German guy? U mean a convicted pedophile who was in the area at the time and had mentioned he knew what happened to the child..

A lot of people myself included are firmly on the fence with this and have no idea who to suspect so we are not trying to argue one way or the other, what you are doing however is presenting an argument with selective ‘facts’ of the parents guilt. Why are you doing that?

There was many pedophiles living there. Mrs McCann befriended one there shortly after. But there was a surpsing amount of them around for a small parish.

This one seemed to use his phone at a different time than the rest. Apart from that there doesn't seem to be any evidence to attach him to this crime.

Not defending the man. He should rot in hell. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence at the moment

I am clearly saying it now.

She refused to co-operate with the police as a suspect.

There's no hidden agenda. It's very important this for me. If you don't think so. That's fine.

There was many pedophiles living there. Mrs McCann befriended one there shortly after. But there was a surpsing amount of them around for a small parish.

This one seemed to use his phone at a different time than the rest. Apart from that there doesn't seem to be any evidence to attach him to this crime.

Not defending the man. He should rot in hell. But there doesn't seem to be any evidence at the moment

Right so Mrs McCann assisted the police and then she refused to assist them any longer after they accused her of murdering her child.. why didn’t you just say that?

This German guy is being looked at by police now though yeah? They already looked at the parents but didn’t find conclusive evidence? By the way I haven’t kept up to date with this case but the parents were never charged so I’m assuming there wasn’t sufficient evidence.

Right so Mrs McCann assisted the police and then she refused to assist them any longer after they accused her of murdering her child.. why didn’t you just say that?

After they made her a suspect she refused to answer any questions.

I don't know I have this weird thing where if I was the cause of my daughter been kidnapped. But was innocent in the kidnapping and or murder. I would do everything I could. I think answering their questions was a really importart part here.
    Instead the relationship with the people trying to help is broken down and then you flee the country. It doesn't come across to me as a great strtaegy and if innocent. Very odd.
    This German guy is being looked at by police now though yeah? They already looked at the parents but didn’t find conclusive evidence? By the way I haven’t kept up to date with this case but the parents were never charged so I’m assuming there wasn’t sufficient evidence.

They're looking at German guy but have claimed they need the publics help for anything concrete. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of evidence in the public domain.

He made a phone call at some point. That seems to be where we're

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Something Else
    After they made her a suspect she refused to answer any questions.

I don't know I have this weird thing where if I was the cause of my daughter been kidnapped. But was innocent in the kidnapping and or murder. I would do everything I could. I think answering their questions was a really importart part here.
    Instead the relationship with the people trying to help is broken down and then you flee the country. It doesn't come across to me as a great strtaegy and if innocent. Very odd.

They're looking at German guy but have claimed they need the publics help for anything concrete. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of evidence in the public domain.

He made a phone call at some point. That seems to be where we're

Didn’t they also refuse to do a reconstruction before she was a suspect??

Didn’t they also refuse to do a reconstruction before she was a suspect??

I believe they did.

When eventually they were convinced to do one there seemed to be a lot of onset arguing people disagreeing with each other

It's almost like they were making it up as they went along. Or maybe it was all the alcohol.

Very odd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Something Else
    She didn't assist them though, she mostly lied to them. Answered the questions but didn't do so truthfully

This German guy is being looked at by police now though yeah?

They discarded him in 2008. Apparently the van he changed the plates on was forensically investigated at the time and nothing was found.

• Advertisement

Ok, so the police are looking at this German guy and asking for the public’s help because they don’t have enough evidence but they suspect he was involved.

You seem to be quite dismissive of him as a suspect yet you seem to implicate the parents often, am I right in saying the parents are no longer suspects? Did the police look into the parents extensively yet did not find sufficient evidence?

Again I haven’t been following this closely, I’m presuming the parents are not suspects..

Ok, so the police are looking at this German guy and asking for the public’s help because they don’t have enough evidence but they suspect he was involved.

They looked into him in 2007. He was cleared / dismissed as a person of interest in 2008

The van he changed the name on the reg plate on was forensically checked and nothing was found.
    You seem to be quite dismissive of him as a suspect yet you seem to implicate the parents often, am I right in saying the parents are no longer suspects? Did the police look into the parents extensively yet did not find sufficient evidence?

Again I haven’t been following this closely, I’m presuming the parents are not suspects..

I'm not sure how it stands legally. But I don't think the Portuguese police ever removed the status or maybe they have to at a certain time frame.. She fled the country.

I'm dismissive of him as there's nothing to suggest he's connected.

They looked into him in 2007. He was cleared / dismissed as a person of interest in 2008

The van he changed the name on the reg plate on was forensically checked and nothing was found.

I'm not sure how it stands legally. But I don't think the Portuguese police ever removed the status or maybe they have to at a certain time frame.. She fled the country.

I'm dismissive of him as there's nothing to suggest he's connected.

Ok I think I get you now,

The police suspect the German guy, you don’t.

The police don’t suspect the parents any longer, you do.

Ok I think I get you now,

The police suspect the German guy, you don’t.

The police don’t suspect the parents any longer, you do.

I don't suspect anyone

I'm as clueless as anyone else.

I'm just interested in what happened. I don't have any horse in the race.

Looks like the British police had no interest in him either after been told about of him by Portuguese police 8 years ago.

British police failed to identify Christian Brückner as the prime suspect in the disappearance of Madeleine McCann, a senior Portuguese police officer has alleged.

Carlos Farinha, deputy director of the Policia Judiciaria says that Brückner's name was handed over to the Metropolitan Police in 2012, but they never requested any information on the serial sex offender.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

I don't suspect anyone

I'm as clueless as anyone else.

I'm just interested in what happened. I don't have any horse in the race.

Yes you do your convinced its the McCanns,and no amount of evidence will make you think otherwise.

roofer1988 wrote: »
    Yes you do your convinced its the McCanns,and no amount of evidence will make you think otherwise.

You're not my spokesperson. So please don't claim to be.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

splinter65 wrote: »
    If your accusing somebody of a crime then you need to show evidence that they committed that crime.
    No evidence has been shown. None.
    The person being accused doesn’t have to prove anything.
    That’s the way the world works.
    So no, accusations without explanations or evidence are totally irrelevant and not in any way valid.

they went on holiday with 3 children,and returned with 2 .

1 child is missing.

no evidence to prove that someone else was responsible whatsoever.

all suspicion should fall on those who were responsible for her unless proven otherwise. if one of my kids went missing from my house and zero evidence of foul play,id rightly be suspected until proven otherwise.

that's the way the world works

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Accident happened, parents hid body

Whats the evidence that they didn't do it?

• Advertisement

TheW1zard wrote: »

They've done a lot of work to keep this in the limelight

Like they funded a con artist to the tune of hundreds of thousands.

Hired a team of people with no expertise in recovering missing children.

It's almost like they didn't want to find her.

You're not my spokesperson. So please don't claim to be.

Who are you a spokes person for the portuguese police, just like them your throwing out bits of evidence and your suspicions. The way you talking you could reconstruct the whole thing from the day they landed in Portugal

TheW1zard wrote: »

No evidence they did it for sure,no evidence they didnt do it. Truth is, a very very small number of people know what happened for sure. I doubt anyone here knows, except maybe Limnam

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭nc6000

The parents did it
    I see a few recent posts suggesting it was the parents. What exactly do you think the parents did?

nc6000 wrote: »
    I see a few recent posts suggesting it was the parents. What exactly do you think the parents did?

Who suggested this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭nc6000

The parents did it
    Who suggested this?

Maybe I should have said suggestions the parents wouldn't cooperate with the police or aren't really interested in finding out what happened.

I'm interested when people question the parents behaviour during the investigation what exactly do they think happened?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Something Else
    No evidence they did it for sure,no evidence they didnt do it. Truth is, a very very small number of people know what happened for sure. I doubt anyone here knows, except maybe Limnam

the ironic thing about this si that the people claiming to know what happened are the ones saying the parents did nothing and are not responsible. most people are not claiming either way but following the facts of the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Who suggested this?

Irish 'cute', at it's best.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Maybe I should have said suggestions the parents wouldn't cooperate with the police or aren't really interested in finding out what happened.

I'm interested when people question the parents behaviour during the investigation what exactly do they think happened?

Why do we have to have a theory.

This thread is for discussing all aspects of the case.

I would have thought a mother of a child not co-operating with a police investigation as a suspect in the case was a fairly important detail in the case.

*shrug*

the ironic thing about this si that the people claiming to know what happened are the ones saying the parents did nothing and are not responsible. most people are not claiming either way but following the facts of the case.

Yeah I've said this many times it's bizzare.

We're here very open minded on all possibilities.

Others only want to hear ones not involving the parents.

Very strange

• Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭cosanostra

My view on Madeleines Parents has changed over the years, initially i was 100% of the view that they killed her and hid the body however I started to wonder how they could get so many others to help in the coverup it just didn't seem possible. Then what about the dogs, blood in the room etc this all pointed to the parents but looking into that it wasnt really fact people were only spreading it as fact online. Overwhelmingly the thing that convinced me most of the parents guilt was their public image it just screamed that they were hiding something and they came over as lacking in emotion and had guilt written all over them, I think their use of a PR team caused this image, they weren't acting naturally, their every move was choreographed and created this false image that stopped them showing their true emotion.

My belief now is that Madeleine was taking by either a robbery that went wrong or kidnapped by a pedo ring! I still believe the parents are guilty of neglect and probably lied about going back to check as often as they did but are that far into that lie they cant retract it, it was probably insignificant when they first said it but they have to stick with that story now.

Its a bit like the tree falling in a forest if no ones there to witness it does it make a sound, we are basing what happened here on what was seen plenty could have happened that no one saw but would explain everything.

• Advertisement

cosanostra wrote: »
    My view on Madeleines Parents has changed over the years

The case has no many oddities it's hard not to.

I remember when Murat looked so wrong and the press practically hung him.

This level of excitement has happened a few times previously with "major" developments only to lead to nothing.

No no no.... there’s a couple of posts in here now suggesting the people that think the parents had nothing to do with it have tunnel vision and others are open minded, this is completely wrong.

In the past few days the police have come out and said we suspect this German Pedophile who was in the area at the time and are looking into him, some posters on here have totally dismissed him straight away and have taken every opportunity to throw out half stories to imply the parents did it.. that doesn’t seem very open minded to me.

And before anyone says that they already looked at the German guy or all he did was drunkenly tell someone he knew what happened, the police obviously suspect him again but you are saying you know better.

No no no.... there’s a couple of posts in here now suggesting the people that think the parents had nothing to do with it have tunnel vision and others are open minded, this is completely wrong.

In the past few days the police have come out and said we suspect this German Pedophile who was in the area at the time and are looking into him, some posters on here have totally dismissed him straight away and have taken every opportunity to throw out half stories to imply the parents did it.. that doesn’t seem very open minded to me.

And before anyone says that they already looked at the German guy or all he did was drunkenly tell someone he knew what happened, the police obviously suspect him again but you are saying you know better.

He was suspected in 2007, cleared in 2008

Forensics on the van all clear.

He was past to the British police in 2012, they didn't ask the Portuguese police for anything and sat on it for 7 years.

Some guy dribbles in a pub and we're supposed to talk about nothing else bar this.

Come off it.

He was past to the British police in 2012, they didn't ask the Portuguese police for anything and sat on it for 7 years.

Some guy dribbles in a pub and we're supposed to talk about nothing else bar this.

Come off it.

You can talk about whatever you like, but it’s going to be pointed out to you that you are saying you know better than the police who are investigating this.

The police said just days ago that they suspect this guy and you have just totally dismissed him in three sentences yet you think you think you are being open minded?

You can talk about whatever you like, but it’s going to be pointed out to you that you are saying you know better than the police who are investigating this.

The police said just days ago that they suspect this guy and you have just totally dismissed him in three sentences yet you think you think you are being open minded?

I don't know better

Currently, there's nothing in the public domain to link him.

The Germans have asked for the help of the public to provide them with evidence.

So everything we do know is. He was cleared. Van was cleared. Some drunk guy said X

Based on what we know publicly. Nothing to see here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

If its not him,its highly likely its some one like him.An opportunist paedophile ,who abducted an innocent child.A blind man could see that the parents didnt do this in my opinion.They might have dosed them up to let them sleep ,while they were having a night out,but thats about the worst they done,in my opinion.

mosii wrote: »
    They might have dosed them up to let them sleep ,while they were having a night out,but thats about the worst they done,in my opinion.

God, If that's all they did. Pretty horrific.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭mosii

God, If that's all they did. Pretty horrific.

About 35 years ago,i was overseas in a mid.Eastern country,a guy admitted to rapeing a 3 year old Girl. (after he was caught)he was brought out the back of his house ,and shot in the head.true story. These people will have to be punished severely,its the only way,as there is no curing them of their sickness,deep down they think the children love them.

I don't know better

Currently, there's nothing in the public domain to link him.

The Germans have asked for the help of the public to provide them with evidence.

So everything we do know is. He was cleared. Van was cleared. Some drunk guy said X

Based on what we know publicly. Nothing to see here.

Everything we know is the guy is a suspect as the police stated this only days ago.

The parents were suspects a long time ago and the police couldn’t find sufficient evidence to charge them with anything.

You have said he was cleared, but you have never said the parents were cleared, why is this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,962 ✭✭✭✭dark crystal

Yeah I've said this many times it's bizzare.

We're here very open minded on all possibilities.

Others only want to hear ones not involving the parents.

Very strange

Come off it.

:pac::pac:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement