Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kia Niro EV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

Is there an Irish equivalent of http://myuvo.ca ?
    The only e-Niro UVO activation tutorial video I found is Canadian and he registers on this web site prior to installing the Android app.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

xboxdad wrote: »
    Is there an Irish equivalent of http://myuvo.ca ?
    The only e-Niro UVO activation tutorial video I found is Canadian and he registers on this web site prior to installing the Android app.

You just do the registration in the app ( and then you can auth other users to the car then too, ie you dont share a login with your other half, you have one login each)

graememk wrote: »
    You just do the registration in the app ( and then you can auth other users to the car then too, ie you dont share a login with your other half, you have one login each)

Thank you! Is there a tutorial video on this somewhere please?
    I started researching this as I saw reports (UK) about the "instable connection to the car" issue and the advice was to first do something on the car and only then try the app. Maybe they just forgot to enable it with a simple toggle on the car beforehand and that's all.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭graememk

Thank you! Is there a tutorial video on this somewhere please?
    I started researching this as I saw reports (UK) about the "instable connection to the car" issue and the advice was to first do something on the car and only then try the app. Maybe they just forgot to enable it with a simple toggle on the car beforehand and that's all.

Its a badly worded error message, you have to go into the uvo app in the car, press on the "read terms and conditions" and then accept them.

then its pretty straight forward, registration wise, car connects and away you go. i think you need the vin number. I cant remember if there was a code shown on the car to enter in the app or not

graememk wrote: »
    Its a badly worded error message, you have to go into the uvo app in the car, press on the "read terms and conditions" and then accept them.

then its pretty straight forward, registration wise, car connects and away you go. i think you need the vin number. I cant remember if there was a code shown on the car to enter in the app or not

Nice, that clears it up for me. Thank you!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

Had another look around a Kia dealer yesterday and am now committed to getting an e-Niro (if I can get my hands on one). I'm brand new to electric cars and will be doing my own research going forward, but before I start, a quick few questions on home charging (for those with the e-Niro)...

1. Do I need to have the car already purchased before I can apply for a grant?
    2. What type of charger would I need for the e-Niro, assuming it will have 11kw cable?
    3. Do I purchase the charger first, then get an electrician in to install?

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

chewed wrote: »
    Had another look around a Kia dealer yesterday and am now committed to getting an e-Niro (if I can get my hands on one). I'm brand new to electric cars and will be doing my own research going forward, but before I start, a quick few questions on home charging (for those with the e-Niro)...

2. What type of charger would I need for the e-Niro, assuming it will have 11kw cable?

1. Think you apply for the grant during the purchasing process.

2. Home charge points will only charge up to 7kW (32amp) and can't be used while an electric shower is running (or other high power devices). If you have a power shower, you'll need a priority switch or a charge point of load balancing (like a zappi).

3. You can purchase the charge point at any time, but getting it installed has to happen after you own the car. You need car details, and the electrician fills in a form. Post it all off and you get your €600 a few weeks later.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,406 ✭✭✭chewed

1. Think you apply for the grant during the purchasing process.

2. Home charge points will only charge up to 7kW (32amp) and can't be used while an electric shower is running (or other high power devices). If you have a power shower, you'll need a priority switch or a charge point of load balancing (like a zappi).

3. You can purchase the charge point at any time, but getting it installed has to happen after you own the car. You need car details, and the electrician fills in a form. Post it all off and you get your €600 a few weeks later.

Cheers for that Black Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

chewed wrote: »

The dealer will organise the grant, you don't need to do anything apart from agreeing to purchase the car

32 Amp charger (7.2Kw). If you have an 80amp main fuse you can charge at 7.2 Kw and use the electric shower at the same time. If not you will need a priority switch.

The dealer should supply the 11Kw charge cable. At this stage the dealers should be aware that the Second Edition comes with a 3 phase charger.

That's what I did, total cost and install was 550 euro, after receiving the grant I was 50 euro up :)

Check out the carsireland website, there are a few Second Edition cars available from stock around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Can I ask how you folks bought your e-Niros?

PCP, finance, etc.

Have seen some PCP deals that are pretty low on finance costs with a €5k down, €15k final payment in 3 years.

Just debating it. My i3 is doing fine, but it's also out of warranty and any out of warranty EV, no matter how reliable, scares me.

The Kia 7 year warranty is very attractive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭social butterfly 2020

17k trade in and 5k in cash. The rest as HP because the % available was quite low.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭icom

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Can I ask how you folks bought your e-Niros?

PCP, finance, etc.

Have seen some PCP deals that are pretty low on finance costs with a €5k down, €15k final payment in 3 years.

Just debating it. My i3 is doing fine, but it's also out of warranty and any out of warranty EV, no matter how reliable, scares me.

The Kia 7 year warranty is very attractive.

Had same thought when I bought the Leaf 40. Just a 3 year warranty and if something went wrong I could be stuck with an enormous bill.

The KIA 7 year warranty is hard to beat, that's why I had 2 new Sportage's before the Leaf.

Lucky enough not to need any finance, but I intend to keep the eNiro for at least 5 years, so won't be worrying about anything going seriously wrong before that.
    Will be ready for the fully electric Sportage at that stage :)

I just saw the specs on the Irish Kia site that the E-Niro has the 11 Kw charger now, that's handy, better than 7 Kw for sure, I know all too well the value of the 11 Kw charger in the i3.

But......I was shocked to see the E-Niro has halogen headlights, WTF ?

I just saw the specs on the Irish Kia site that the E-Niro has the 11 Kw charger now, that's handy, better than 7 Kw for sure, I know all too well the value of the 11 Kw charger in the i3.

Yeah, the Irish version doesn't have LED headlights.
    In any case, all my previous cars had traditional headlights. Not even projector. So I guess I'll be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭championc

Both items received a lot of discussion a few pages back, when the MY20 landed on Irish soil. I've simply replaced my headlight bulbs for ZES LED bulbs, and they are perfect.

And of course, if an LED headlight fails, the whole unit must be replaced, so overall, I think I'm happier :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cluaindiuic

How much do the LEDs cost?

I’m still amazed no led, I don’t like putting LEDs into halogen headlights regardless projector or not.

I’m still amazed no led, I don’t like putting LEDs into halogen headlights regardless projector or not.

Did anyone here try the Osram Nightbreaker?
    Is it not a decent compromise?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭KildareMan

Nightbreakers are very good. Used them in both cars and bikes. Just replace like for like. Don't go the higher wattage - 100w instead of 60w, route. Not worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I have Osram Nightbreaker Lasers in my PHEV. They're definitely an improvement IMO.

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm whether the e-Niro can switch the display from km to miles and vice versa?

PCP quote for an e-Niro, €5k down, €600 x 36, final value €14,998.

With a cash price of €40,995 that seems like a good price, no? Only €600 for the finance basically.

Awaiting a trade in value to see if it would be worth parting with the i3 through them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can anyone confirm whether the e-Niro can switch the display from km to miles and vice versa?
    I know the Ioniq and Kona cannot.
    Would assume the eniro would be the same.

Thing about led lights is I haven’t changed a bulb in a car since 2015 when I got the leaf.

PCP quote for an e-Niro, €5k down, €600 x 36, final value €14,998.

With a cash price of €40,995 that seems like a good price, no? Only €600 for the finance basically.

Awaiting a trade in value to see if it would be worth parting with the i3 through them.

No that’s not a good deal really because it shows Kia are expecting high depreciation with a 14900k gfmv. So you’re paying the brunt of the depreciation with the 600 pm even with 5k.

What mileage was that for ?

What mileage was that for ?

20k km

20k km

Oh Dear. That's not good really because the 35K Kms I would need would probably end up with a GFMV of 12K or less.

So PCP is of no real value here unless the interest is low then you have to factor in whether you wish to re-finance this after 3 years and at what interest you'll be able to get.

Unless you wish not to pay the 15K at the end and hop into a new car but at this point PCP on a 40K car is not a great deal in my opinion.

I'd imagine a 2nd hand M3 would depreciate far less and be a much more desirable car except maybe for the boot, I don't like the opening, anyway, it costs 10K more but might depreciate less it might have 10K more vale balancing out in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Stefs_42

might be useful thread. i think they ve figured it out

https://www.kianiroforum.com/threads/how-to-change-2019-ev-speedometer-from-mph-to-kph.8747/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭zg3409

Stefs_42 wrote: »

Just beware the question and answer may be different depending on whether the car was built for the UK or ROI market. On a UK built Ioniq it must legally be able to display speed in miles with an option for km, on the Ioniq it can display km as a secondary display but you CANNOT get rid of the miles dial and display and range to empty is miles only. So you would need to check on a real car and on the exact model as newer or older displays may have differences. There is a company in new Zealand that can fix the UK Ioniq to km only, if you ship your instrument cluster once around the world!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,367 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Stefs_42 wrote: »
    As above, you can half change an MPH to KPH car.
    You cannot (if its the same as Hyundai as I suspect it is) go the other way

Advertisement