Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is Dunnes gone very expensive?

• 24-03-2020 8:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭

Long time Dunnes Stores customer and shopping was always about €155 before the Voucher discount so you get three vouchers for the next week.

Anyway it started to creep up until it reached €200 nearly every week so herself put it down to Beer ETC so cut that out and after a few weeks it crept up again!

Today Shopping cost €230 after the Voucher discount with no beer and just basic groceries for the week! Only 3 of us in the House I'm tempted to try Aldi or Lidl at this stage...

€273 before Vouchers Today..

Where do you shop? 359 votes

Dunnes
    59% 215 votes
    Lidl
    9% 35 votes
    Aldi
    6% 22 votes
    Tesco
    8% 31 votes
    Supervalu
    5% 18 votes
    Lidl and Aldi
    5% 19 votes
    M&S I'm posh
    3% 14 votes
    Somewhere else
    1% 5 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

It has been for quite some time

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

The vouchers are just to bring you back, i.e. I have this voucher, I may as well go to Dunnes to use it. The price of everything in store is increased to account for the voucher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Its aim is be be a discount M&S, I tihnk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Madness. £50 a week tops in Aldi, includes the odd drink - what's that €70? 3 of us too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

We shop in Dunnes as well and there is 3 of us (2 adults and a 2 year old). Our shopping would be 100 euro a week and that includes nappies. It’s gone up slightly with us being at home full time now but I can’t understand how you are spending almost 300 Euro a week!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

bee06 wrote: »
    We shop in Dunnes as well and there is 3 of us (2 adults and a 2 year old). Our shopping would be 100 euro a week and that includes nappies. It’s gone up slightly with us being at home full time now but I can’t understand how you are spending almost 300 Euro a week!

We would be the same as this. Now I have found in last two weeks we are hitting 150 mark(before €30 discount) but that's because we are buying more food as at home all time + no Friday night takeaway etc.

Its probably not a great time to be analysing your cost as we are all spending more on grocery shopping as no one can go anywhere else for food or beverages!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

2 of us in the house and we've never even gone to 180 euro even shopping in super valu which is an old super quinn and would be seen as an expensive option locally. The odd time when we stock up on cleaning products we would hit 100 euro like last weekend when I decided I didn't want to be spending time in a supermarket, bought loads for 110 for 2 of us for a week easily, some of the stuff was a once in 3 months purchase, cleaning stuff etc..

No idea where you are going with 270 euro of groceries for 3 people

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭TheBigEvil

Genuinely dont see how people are doing all of their grocery shopping in either Dunnes or Tesco. I was skeptical about Aldi/Lidl at first, but have seen a massive reduction in the cost of my food shop since I went to Aldi, would normally have been a Tesco shopper. Granted there may be a couple of items you wont get in Aldi/Lidl, but all in all you should be getting nearly all of your food shop items there.

The biggest problem with Tesco/Dunnes are the multi-buys/vouchers, you end up buying more stuff that don't need and they end up going off. With Aldi/lidl they just have lower prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭appledrop

TheBigEvil wrote: »
    Genuinely dont see how people are doing all of their grocery shopping in either Dunnes or Tesco. I was skeptical about Aldi/Lidl at first, but have seen a massive reduction in the cost of my food shop since I went to Aldi, would normally have been a Tesco shopper. Granted there may be a couple of items you wont get in Aldi/Lidl, but all in all you should be getting nearly all of your food shop items there.

The biggest problem with Tesco/Dunnes are the multi-buys/vouchers, you end up buying more stuff that don't need and they end up going off. With Aldi/lidl they just have lower prices.

I'm the opposite. I'll pop into aldi for a few bits but would never be able to get a weekly shop there. Just not enough choice. I also hate the layout/style of the store in aldi compared to brand new Dunnes we go to with top of range butchers + cheesemongers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

appledrop wrote: »
    I'm the opposite. I'll pop into aldi for a few bits but would never be able to get a weekly shop there. Just not enough choice. I also hate the layout/style of the store in aldi compared to brand new Dunnes we go to with top of range butchers + cheesemongers.

Same here. We did attempt to move to Aldi a few years ago but couldn’t do a full shop and ended up having to do another shop elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Rodin

Can get everything I need in Aldi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,308 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Aldi’s fruit and veg are superb. We get the odd brand item (soft drinks mainly) in Tesco but pretty much everything else in Aldi

And we might take 3 weeks to spend 273 on shopping (3 of us )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,872 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I've done a huge amount of work for Dunnes in the past.

Basically they couldn't compete with the German discount stores and they cleverly re-invented themselves below M&S and above Lidl and Aldi. Their produce has improved in a lot of areas. Quality went up and the price went up too.

There's good value to be got in Dunnes and there's bad value too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Horses for courses I suppose. Happy to spend approx €75 per week.
    The odd trip to Enniskillen every quarter for the washing powder, drink and coffee etc makes it reasonable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

That's nearly all our shopping for 8 day's including meat etc. I'm tempted to try Lidl or Aldi soon..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

What in the name of god are you buying to spend nearly 300 sheets?

I think you just need to be a bit smarter when you shop. I hit Lidl for a few bits here and there but in general I found that their fruit and veg starts to rot before the week is out. Never have this issue in Tesco (or Dunnes)

My advice is to try Tesco and switch to some of the Tesco own brands for various things. Stuff that you can't go wrong with like eggs, butter, bog roll, kitchen towel, etc. Leave the branded stuff for the likes of soft drinks or cereals maybe.

A great example from the other day would be 750gms of organic porridge is less than a Euro. Flahavins is nearly 3 for 1kg. U can

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I wouldn't quite call it price-gouging, not yet anyway, but there is a noticeable lack of special offers currently on the shelves and they have clearly priced some of the popular 'lockdown' items at a premium.

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Dunnes and tesco are quite expensive.
    But super valu are the worst. They are awful for value, and not just in smaller stores.

I do my shopping between lidl and dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I bounce between tesco and dunnes, butcher for meat.

I think groceries generally have gone up. We went from spending 200 per week to spending 230 per week for roughly the same shop. Maybe 8 month period.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Truckermal wrote: »
    Long time Dunnes Stores customer and shopping was always about €155 before the Voucher discount so you get three vouchers for the next week.

Anyway it started to creep up until it reached €200 nearly every week so herself put it down to Beer ETC so cut that out and after a few weeks it crept up again!

Today Shopping cost €230 after the Voucher discount with no beer and just basic groceries for the week! Only 3 of us in the House I'm tempted to try Aldi or Lidl at this stage...

Since Dunnes rebranded with the new makeover pitching itself as an irish Marks and sparks its prices are shot up. Certainly shopping in their stores is a nicer retail experience than say tesco or aldi but their prices reflect this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 367 ✭✭Diairist

If you don't think it's a waste of petrol, and you can't get all your goods in Aldi, go to Lidl for the rest. (Then SuperValu?) There is no comparison between Tesco & Lidl. (Actually there is, a €40+ difference generally.)

Hoping not to be accused of blatant racism but there is an 'Academy' shelf in SuperValu where they sell goods from young Irish companies. Worth a look.

(Am I banned yet? Am I banned yet?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭zell12

Yes.

Cannot believe this thread re-appears every few months since 2016
    Are you wise to Dunnes marketing ploy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I spent the better part of 15 years in Retail before I got out so luckily I have a good grasp of what is under or over priced and I take a good mental note of the price of things between shops. You can certainly spend €50 worth of shopping on Products that are the same or cheaper than Aldi. A full €150-200 shop without being cute with the offers and prices those €30 of vouchers get burnt up very quickly and I have no doubt you end up being down money.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Apollinaris

I love those snobby comments “I’m tempted to try Aldi or Lidl”. Like there was a stigma attached to it shopping there or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭FFVII

That's nearly all our shopping for 8 day's including meat etc. I'm tempted to try Lidl or Aldi soon..

They're 21 years here now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

OP, You should do a comparable shop in Aldi or Lidl to see the differences with your particular shopping trolley....might help see where your increases in spending are...(compare receipts!)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 2nd & 3rd Aug '25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭clintondaly

Stick up the shopping list or the receipt and we shall start a project and cut down the costs :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,703 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dunnes are dear compared to Lidl/ Aldi,then again SuperValu are dear compared to Dunnes( at least in Carrigaline) though the meat, fruit n veg quality is far better ( sv)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

We switched to aldi a few months ago after doing the shopping in Dunnes for years, didn't last too long before going back to Dunnes. We found that while it was cheaper in aldi for similar stuff, it wasn't last as long so by Monday or Tuesday we would need to go get some more in either the local centra or spin in to Tesco.

We are a family of 5 and it is usually €130-€150 and that includes a box of bottles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,376 ✭✭✭facehugger99

guil wrote: »
    We switched to aldi a few months ago after doing the shopping in Dunnes for years, didn't last too long before going back to Dunnes. We found that while it was cheaper in aldi for similar stuff, it wasn't last as long so by Monday or Tuesday we would need to go get some more in either the local centra or spin in to Tesco.

We are a family of 5 and it is usually €130-€150 and that includes a box of bottles.

A box of bottles of what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

We found that while it was cheaper in aldi for similar stuff, it wasn't last as long .

That means you were buying less volume - that alone wouldn't be reason to change shops. Just buy more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭LillySV

Has been crazy dear for most stuff for ages!where I’m located, the nearest stores are actually two big dunnes stores... used to go to them a lot for that reason...that’s all changed since they started going up and up in price... essential items all cost more than everywhere else... so although people are fooled into buying a lot of stuff there to get your 10 off 50... you’re paying a lot more for a lot less. As someone here also said, they’re tryin to market their stuff as premium goods like Marks and Sparks.... but their stuff is far from premium ... I actually shop around in a mixture of the shops... I buy a bit in aldi, a bit in lidl, and a bit in tesco. There is no SuperValu in Galway city so only get to shop there if traveling home at a weekend and decide to stop by one on way home... it’s a pity cause I always find them to be very good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,996 ✭✭✭✭zell12

:confused::confused:
    So ye ate more Aldi stuff because it is nicer and better quality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

Ok I'll grab the receipt and post it up then I'll try Aldi/Lidl.. Someone mentioned something along the lines of snobbery going there but that's wrong, I just got into the habit of doing Dunnes even though it's farther away than Lidl....

@Guil stop buying those bottles of p1ss you drink...:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

the price difference between Dunnes and Lidl is eyewatering - its easily triple as expensive to shop there. Well worth defecting to Lidl. Sure there are a few branded things you might fancy in Dunnes ( washing power, vegan freezer things, the occasional fancy thing ) but otherwise if you are watching the humdreds then stay away from Dunnes - the quality is the same for meat, both do all Irish products in meat and poultry/eggs - the wine and cheese selection (and prices) in Lidl is next to none - far better to have your money in your pocket than self servicing in Dunnes stores and lining their coffers weekly. Pre washed salads and pre Choped bags of veg also available in Lidl - at half Dunnes prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭BillyBird

GavMan wrote: »
    My advice is to try Tesco and switch to some of the Tesco own brands for various things. Stuff that you can't go wrong with like eggs, butter, bog roll, kitchen towel, etc. Leave the branded stuff for the likes of soft drinks or cereals maybe.

Branded stuff is going to kill you though

Kellogs Bran Flakes 750g €4.00
    Tesco Bran Flakes 750g €1.59

Down the road at Lidl you'd be paying €0.95 (€0.63 for 500g)

Each to their own and all but they're bran flakes.

Stick up the shopping list or the receipt and we shall start a project and cut down the costs
    Something like this :)
    https://twitter.com/dril/status/384408932061417472?lang=en

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

BillyBird wrote: »

I picked up Dorset cereals (museli) the other day and it was SEVEN EURO. I nearly had a heart attack - when did that happen? I used routinely have to or three different flavour boxes of it in the press . Lidl museli comes in copy cat flavours and is delicious - barely e2. You just can’t justify the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

Mr_Muffin wrote: »
    The vouchers are just to bring you back, i.e. I have this voucher, I may as well go to Dunnes to use it. The price of everything in store is increased to account for the voucher.

Logically. there is nothing for nothing in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭kevinc565

BillyBird wrote: »

I picked up Dorset cereals (museli) the other day and it was SEVEN EURO. I nearly had a heart attack - when did that happen? I used routinely have to or three different flavour boxes of it in the press . Lidl museli comes in copy cat flavours and is delicious - barely e2. You just can’t justify the difference.

irish people are one of the biggest brand buyers in the world. insecurity, explains the high prices in our shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Antares35

Personally always found them expensive. My parents spend hundreds there and I just dont see what they get for it. Then again they are Aldi and Lidl snobs - "they dont have all the branded stuff blah blah".

The vouchers are a false economy I think. People overspending just to get up to the next fifty euro so they can get a discount on stuff they only bought to get a discount???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,963 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

kevinc565 wrote: »

irish people are one of the biggest brand buyers in the world. insecurity, explains the high prices in our shops.

The only branded products you really need to buy are
    Kellogg's cornflakes and YR sauce everything else is much the same

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

I love those snobby comments “I’m tempted to try Aldi or Lidl”. Like there was a stigma attached to it shopping there or something.

I dont know anyone that has a "sitma" towards lidl or aldi. They are great shops.

But the checkouts are awful, not enough open, then its rush rush rush, and everything is thrown at you. I only go to those stores either very early or very late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,537 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Abel Ruiz wrote: »
    I dont know anyone that has a "sitma" towards lidl or aldi. They are great shops.

But the checkouts are awful, not enough open, then its rush rush rush, and everything is thrown at you. I only go to those stores either very early or very late.

There absolutely is one in the UK; but Lidl in the UK and Lidl in Ireland are massively different in terms of what they stock, store quality etc. Aldi has less divergence but is still "better" here.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Maggie Benson

The problem is that elderly people don't like flitting from one supermarket to another in the present climate - hence they are confined to selecting one and getting finished and out of there as quickly as possible.

Abel Ruiz wrote: »

It's only rush rush rush if you are trying to fill your bags at the checkout instead of just putting stuff back into the trolley after it is scanned and packing bags at the designated shopping counters. One of the reasons they can keep prices low is that they have only limited numbers of cashiers who are there to get people through quickly. It's a trade off.

I've got so used to it now, that the odd time I do go to Dunnes I find myself getting impatient at people who stand chatting to the cashier well after their transaction is completed and spend ages rifling through ten or fifteen vouchers to see which ones are in date. Not to mention the people whose shopping reaches 48euro and then must go running off down the aisles to find something to "bring it up to 50" so they can use another voucher :D

The problem is that elderly people don't like flitting from one supermarket to another in the present climate - hence they are confined to selecting one and getting finished and out of there as quickly as possible.
    I do agree it can be a generational thing. My parents are in their 70's and a lot of the reason they still shop in Dunnes is simply because they always have. I think the brand loyalty might be due to their age too tbh. They simply refuse to believe that some of the wines and cheeses in Lidl and Aldi are, as well as cheaper, actually far superior. Aldi's Stellenbosch for example... though it's early in the day to be thinking about wine.

I have a snob of an aunt who imposes herself and her mouse of a husband for dinner a few times a year. A real M&S only type, think Hyacinth in Keeping Up Appearances...on speed. There's nothing better than seeing her smack her smug lips together and comment on how divine the chardonnay is... and then telling her it was an eight euro bottle from Lidl :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I wouldnt say Im an aldi/lidl snob but I just dont like the whole experience. Ive tried numerous times because I dont want to be spending more money for the same product if I dont need too.

That being sad I dont buy much branded goods. I think when you see the price comparison is it not comparing branded with the aldi brands? I buy tesco own brand for a huge amount of things and the items I dont are because we dont like them. But I do still keep trying when I see something recommended.
    I use a local veg shop, butcher and baker because i Like to support local small business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,820 ✭✭✭Sebastian Dangerfield

Ive gone from doing my shopping almost exclusively in Aldi, to spreading it between Aldi, Dunnes and Supervalu. Unfortunately my kids wont eat some of the Aldi own brand stuff (e.g. their versions of milky ways) - snobs at 2 and 3!

Does anyone else think the quality in Aldi has dipped a little bit recently? The branding on a lot of stuff has definitely gotten cheaper which isnt an issue, but there are some things Id regularly have bought before that I dont anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

kevinc565 wrote: »
    Logically. there is nothing for nothing in the world.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056424282

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I used to be almost exlusively Aldi but have drifted to Dunnes more in recent months. My main objection to Aldi is at the checkout. Long queues with people with full trolleys while I might only have three or four items.

They need either 10 items or fewer tills or self-service to speed people up. Also I find their fruit and veg are simply not as good as Dunnes and do no last as long once purchased.

And one another extremely minor thing, the deathly silence in an Aldi store compared to other supermarkets. Would it kill them to pipe a little music in the background for a little atmosphere!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement