Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Joker movie - starring Joaquin Phoenix (MOD: May contain Spoilers)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭TomSweeney

This could be very good, just saw the trailer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭p to the e

For those upset by Todd Philips directing I remember a lot of people getting flustered because the guy from "10 things I hate about you" was going to play the joker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,535 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Two great posters. :D

27l1JgJ.jpg

D3RFpq4WkAEx4aK.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,497 ✭✭✭auspicious

The Joker is such a rich character and has more depth than most if not all superhero personae.
    But to say personae is inaccurate as Napier actually incarnates the Joker as a result of being repeatedly downtrodden in an ever more increasingly chaotic world.
    His consciousness actualizes the Joker which obviously represents the archetype Trickster.
    The Trickster rails against social convention and mocks the system, the world order, and through Napier's raging perspective manifests as a real force to be reckoned with. A clown to play games with nothing to lose yet striving to survive - to outwit.
    Napier is a weak nobody trying to defend what remains of his personal identity in an ultimate inward struggle which reflects outwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Caegan

Has Napier ever been confirmed as the origin for the Joker, outside Tim Burton's version of the character?

I only ask as anything I've ever read or watched myself the characters origin has been unconfirmed or left open.

That query aside. I love the look and tone of the trailer and cannot wait to see this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

auspicious wrote: »
    The Joker is such a rich character and has more depth than most if not all superhero personae.

Reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day, along the lines of 'the Joker is the deepest and most complex character in the entire history of picture books for children' :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

RayCun wrote: »
    Reminds me of a tweet I saw the other day, along the lines of 'the Joker is the deepest and most complex character in the entire history of picture books for children' :pac:

Aye, we disparage comic book history when it suits us. Wonder what the angle was of the tweet you are referring to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

This wil annoy some fans but I think Ledgers joker is over rated I will explain why ,

I really enjoyed Ledger performance and Ledgers one is without question the BEST portrail of the Joker to date, but I think its over rated because the others are so bad or so detached to who the joker really is ,

Due to the audience the studio's want comic book movies to appeal to in the movies (kids) I don't think we have seen anyone including Ledger play a joker who is dark or unhinged enough to really get ho the joker is on the big screen ,

I really enjoyed the trailer for this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Aye, we disparage comic book history when it suits us. Wonder what the angle was of the tweet you are referring to.

That was about it. Yes, the Joker is a hugely complex character... if you haven't read many books for adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,812 ✭✭✭micks_address

The trailer does look great for this, should be great but trailers can be damn deceiving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

correction wrote: »
    Todd Phillips is such an unlikely, this can't work type director choice that you know it'll end up working brilliantly to everyones surprise.

And Joaquin Phoneix seems the absolute perfect choice for this. The only other actor that comes to mind to play The Joker, and this could still happen in actual Batman movies, is Paul Dano. Always felt he was certain to play The Joker at some point.

He is a classic actor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

I always thought Christian Slater would be a great Joker.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    I always thought Christian Slater would be a great Joker.
    Possibly because at his height Christian Slater was always compared to a young Jack Nicholson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I wouldn't mind Christian Slater doing a solo Old-Robin film.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

God, the trailer for this is so good. That music crescendo near the end is epic. I wouldn’t normally even consider going to the cinema to see a superhero/villain but may well do for this. Phoenix is a very interesting actor and is perfect for playing a damaged character.

Watched you were never really there recently. Tough watch at times but could almost have been a back story for the joker on its own.

The soundtrack in this film is gonna be intense!

Hildur Guðnadóttir is composing! She worked with Jóhann Jóhannsson on Sicario and her work on the Chernobyl miniseries is currently airing.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hildur_Guðnadóttir

I just noticed when I went to check who had done the music for Chernobyl. That series is something!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭El Duda

Last nights Chernobyl also featured a little cameo from The Joker :cool:

El Duda wrote: »
    Last nights Chernobyl also featured a little cameo from The Joker :cool:
    Oh that took me waaaay too long to figure out
    :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Uncharted

Really cannot wait for this movie.

Phoenix could give Joker that truly,deeply ,depraved and unhinged angle we haven't seen on screen before.

I'm hoping this is dark as possible with no Marvel-esque fluff.

Uncharted wrote: »

agreed , i hope its a return to nolan's play it straight and in the real world DC universe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Really cannot wait for this movie.

Phoenix could give Joker that truly,deeply ,depraved and unhinged angle we haven't seen on screen before.

I think you might be correct,

Everyone raves about Ledger ,who for my money has been the best Joker to date but mainly because no one before that has got near to playing the true Joker form the comic books,

As you said no film has gone that dark with the Joker not even Nolan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

On my must see list

“It will be Rated R. I’ve been asked this a lot. Just assumed people knew,” Todd Philips on an Instagram post when questioned by a fan.

Possibly the only super hero related movie that I've looked forward to in a decade

• Advertisement

Possibly the only super hero related movie that I've looked forward to in a decade

is it a superhero movie ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

peteeeed wrote: »

No but super hero related i would agree

Probably not when compared to the usual stuff being churned out, hence why I'm interested. He is a villain of batman who is a super hero so it broadly falls under that category.

No but super hero related i would agree

to meet up with Robert Pattinson's batman in the batman reboot reboot ' the batman ' .... i hope

although Macaulay Culkin is rumoured to be in that as the joker

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I hope not: the whole point of this film was so the DC stories could find some narrative breathing room, and space to create something unique and creative. Wedging it back into the broader universe is a tedious proposition IMO.

Besides: this Joker film feels small and intimate, and there's no way in hell the new Batman will be anything but a big, brash, noisy film. It'd be oil & water.

• Advertisement

Matt reeves is directing the batman so I have hope

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Matt reeves is directing the batman so I have hope

Fair enough, and it's speculation either way until the first trailer comes out (and even then, knowing how deceptive the tone of those can be ...). But I don't have any faith that a Batman film would be allowed to be anything except a big, noisy blockbuster that's as shallow as a puddle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,728 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

to meet up with Robert Pattinson's batman in the batman reboot reboot ' the batman ' .... i hope

although Macaulay Culkin is rumoured to be in that as the joker

61571944_3010000612358399_2323306848087376063_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagram.com

Fake, but I could see it working.

All eyes on Kursk. Slava Ukraini.

61571944_3010000612358399_2323306848087376063_n.jpg?_nc_ht=scontent-frt3-2.cdninstagram.com

Yep that's creepy

Not a hope in hell. :(

Culkin is doomed to be Kevin
    Mc Allister for eternity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

pixelburp wrote: »
    I hope not: the whole point of this film was so the DC stories could find some narrative breathing room, and space to create something unique and creative. Wedging it back into the broader universe is a tedious proposition IMO.

Besides: this Joker film feels small and intimate, and there's no way in hell the new Batman will be anything but a big, brash, noisy film. It'd be oil & water.

If its a success I could see Warner Bros trying to wedge it into its other films.

Todd Philips -
    We didn’t follow anything from the comic-books, which people are gonna be mad about,” the writer-director tells Empire. “We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/joaquin-phoenix-joker-follow-comics-exclusive/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,253 ✭✭✭The White Wolf

Todd Philips -
    We didn’t follow anything from the comic-books, which people are gonna be mad about,” the writer-director tells Empire. “We just wrote our own version of where a guy like Joker might come from. That’s what was interesting to me. We’re not even doing Joker, but the story of becoming Joker. It’s about this man.”

https://www.empireonline.com/movies/news/joaquin-phoenix-joker-follow-comics-exclusive/
    That won't go down to well. They might as well say the Joker name is just for the marketing of the film and nothing more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Trailer looked awful..also without influence from Alan moore / frank Miller material it won't have the depth required...even Christopher Nolan knew this.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭android1

Trailer looked awful..

There's always one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Trailer looked awful..also without influence from Alan moore / frank Miller material it won't have the depth required...even Christopher Nolan knew this.

I haven't seen anyone else say that, how odd.

I'm blown away that you have that reaction to that trailer. Wow.

It's tantalisingly epic imo.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More importantly, a lot of Frank Miller’s work has the depth and maturity of a 12-year-old boy who’s just learned to swear and is still in the ‘girls have cooties’ stage of emotional development. So that’s not the highest hurdle for this film to clear :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

I'm blown away that you have that reaction to that trailer. Wow.

It's tantalisingly epic imo.

Well its just an opinion..... i hope the movie delivers as i like phoenix and the director. the trailer looked overly try hard & theatrical ..reminded me of that bronson / clockwork orange style of circus ultraviolence which i think is pretentious.

Again its just my opinion

Frank Miller, blergh. An edgelord hack whose adolescent storytelling coincided with a renaissance for Batman by way of an overhyped schoolyard mashup of Bats v Supes. Nowhere near the pantheon of top comics writers of the ages, and thankfully as time ticks on his stature has diminished...

Todd Philips -

Sounds good to me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

This looks interesting... The only concern I have (Admittedly from the impression given in the trailer only) is the whole usual "Oh, he suffers from depression so therefor he is a weirdo. People with mental-health issues have only one option: To get weirder and go bad"

At least the animated Batman series/movie had the balls to ask of the hero: "Well, he's psychotic but how well adjusted are YOU? dressing up like a bat? C'mon" (WAAAAAAY before Nolan's trilogy).

It does look interesting and anything that can help bury Leto's "joker" is good in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,498 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Don't bring the kids..

Joker Movie Rated R for ‘Disturbing Behavior’ and More
    https://www.comingsoon.net/movies/news/1094341-joker-movie-rated-r-for-disturbing-behavior-and-more
    Warner Bros. Pictures’s highly-anticipated Joker movie has officially been given an R-rating from the MPAA for “strong bloody violence, disturbing behavior, language and brief sexual images.”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

New trailer on Wednesday apparently.

Advertisement