Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Echo WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

zetalambda wrote: »
    Judging from his criminal history, it doesn't look like he's going to start behaving himself anytime soon.

Found this online petition looking for supporters which has 524 to date although for all anyone knows that could be his family and friends signing up under multiple aliases.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/minister-for-immigration-and-border-protection-scott-morrison-mp-allow-a-family-stay-together

Not quite the 100,000 they were hoping for.

Funny how that petition has no details as to why he really is really been refused.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

I don't know him but from reading the AU Echo Facebook comments and from reading the details of his appeal together with his criminal record, he doesn't seem genuine or trustworthy.
    There's a recurring theme of dishonesty in his actions and statements from the time he committed his first assault in 2001 right up until and including his statements in relation to this appeal.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/cth/AATA/2014/29.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=ian%20cronin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

I don't know him but from reading the AU Echo Facebook comments and from reading the details of his appeal together with his criminal record, he doesn't seem genuine or trustworthy.
    There's a recurring theme of dishonesty in his actions and statements from the time he committed his first assault in 2001 right up until and including his statements in relation to this appeal.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/cgi-bin/sinodisp/au/cases/cth/AATA/2014/29.html?stem=0&synonyms=0&query=ian%20cronin

His missus and his friends are trying to lead everyone to believe he's a patron saint these days. That he's a changed man since being in prison for four years. That he's been a good man in Australia.

Well if that link is fully factual they're all a bunch of liars.

Joondalup Magistrates Court
    5 June 2013
    Common Assault
    Steal Motor Vehicle
    Possesses a Prohibited Drug
    Wilfully & Unlawfully Destroy or Damage Property
    Fine: $900
    Fine: $500
    Fine: $300 on each charge

That was 6 months ago. Crime committed 3 years after his son was born.

Give me a break..

Did you see what he said in his statement for his first assault?

"Ian says that 2 other men ran down and started hitting and kicking the victim. He says that he does not know the other 2 men who joined in the assault."

Yeah right, 2 complete strangers just happened to join in the assault. I wonder could they possibly have been part of the gang of 9 people which he admitted were with him just beforehand at K Cabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

The sooner this chap and this other http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057151311 Get put on a plane out of here, the better for Australia as far as I can see. And the better it will be for Irish people over here. Pity those back home that have to deal with them.

We don't have a copyright or patent on the Moron though. There are plenty of Aussies that manage to rack up similar and worse track records, and the same goes for pretty much every country in the world. The idea behind restricting their travel is good, as it means they can't just up and go somewhere that isn't expecting them. Unfortunately he beat the Aussie system initially as it does depend to a certain extent on honesty, but it will come home to roost, and he'll be deported and excluded, and it will cost him heavily in both coin, and separation from his partner and child.

I don't know what his problem is, or what his private life is like, but looked at through the scope of sensible immigration screening, he'd be persona non grata. i.e a total liability and borderline headcase.

Its sad for his family, and even for him, but as far as campaigning for him to stay is concerned ....eh no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

mandrake04 wrote: »

Cork City Circuit Court 8 May 2003 Assault Causing Harm 9 September 2001 2 Years Suspended Sentence. Bound to the Peace for 2 Years.

Cork City Circuit Court 4 May 2004 Assault Causing Serious Harm 17 February 2002 4 Years Imprisonment.

Cork City Court No 1 15 November 2004 Criminal Damage 8 Months Imprisonment.

Cork City Court No 1 24 September 2008 Urinating in Public Contrary to Public Decency Fine: 200 euros.

Cork City Court No 1 24 September 2008 Intoxication in Public Place Fine: 100 euros.

Darwin Court of Summary Jurisdiction 7 April 2010 Unlicensed Uninsured Vehicle Unregistered Vehicle Fine: $400 (all charges)

Perth Magistrates Court 17 February 2011 Exceed .08% No Authority to Drive Fine: $700 Licence Disqualified for 5 months Fine: $100.

Perth Magistrates Court 16 October 2012 Exceed .08% No Authority to Drive Fine: $1,600 Licence Disqualified for 18 months Fine: $300 Licence Disqualified for 3 months.

Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Common Assault* Fine: $900 Fine
    Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Steal Motor Vehicle $500 Fine:
    Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Possesses a Prohibited Drug $300 fine.
    Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Wilfully & Unlawfully Destroy or Damage Property : $300 fine

* Common Assault was Assaulting his Girlfriend 26th Dec 2012.

Thats a hefty list you dug up there, and fairly obvious being a Father has not changed much in his list, I agree with Mellor would the child be better off without the sad excuse of a man, I mean a Boxing Day beating of the Mother of you're child, I don't know what it says about her that she is willing to stand beside him to be honest but it's fairly obvious Ian Cronin is not a changed man

I must try and arrange Ian a job with this Aussie fella I know who is the Foreman for one of the biggest painters in Cork, he would love this Bloke... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

If his family really do care, why don't they move back to Ireland with him?

Perhaps they're just keeping up appearances until he is deported. If his partner has any sense at all, she'll remember the beating her gave her & count down the days until he's can't touch her or potentially the kid.

RPM7 wrote: »
    If his family really do care, why don't they move back to Ireland with him?.

She has another child to another "Dude", so I'm certain he can stop he moving a certain distance from his residence under Australian Law* so moving to the other side of the world could easily be shot down

* happy to be corrected.

That's make sense alright. Personally, I think she could be dodging a bullet if he is deported.

Here's a few snaps from inside Perth Immigration Detention Centre, complete with large wide screen TV lounge, pool room, gym, internet terminals, astroturf pitch and more. It's no wonder he's been happy enough to be there for the last 8 months. Probably gets conjugal visits as well.

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=perth+immigration+detention+centre

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    His missus and his friends are trying to lead everyone to believe he's a patron saint these days. That he's a changed man since being in prison for four years. That he's been a good man in Australia.

Well if that link is fully factual they're all a bunch of liars.

Joondalup Magistrates Court
    5 June 2013
    Common Assault
    Steal Motor Vehicle
    Possesses a Prohibited Drug
    Wilfully & Unlawfully Destroy or Damage Property
    Fine: $900
    Fine: $500
    Fine: $300 on each charge

That was 6 months ago. Crime committed 3 years after his son was born.

Give me a break..

That link is to the AAT website, the AAT is a tribunal that reviews government decisions. The man in question claims it's a "court" and "the Judge" ruled that in the best intrests of the child he should be considered to being granted a visa, It's not a real court and it's not a real judge but it's true that the body recommended to the Dept of Immigration the family stay together, but the minister intervened because it's in the best intrests of the country.

The way he is talking you would think this tribunal expunged his entire criminal record, he mentioned on Facebook that those recent crimes didn't matter because they are only minor because the punishment was fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

Do we know how long he has been illegal?

Zambia wrote: »

27th Aug 2011

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So he should have been nabbed years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

He was doing himself no favours on facebook. Claiming that just because he only got fined that those misdemeanors do not matter. The facts are the facts he lied to get into the country, he has committeed further crimes in the county and he has overstayed his visa. He has a son but this does not warrant him being granted permission to stay, what sort of precedent does it set if he is granted a visa? Many others will happily see it as an opportunity to knock up their ozzy girlfriend as they now have a legal precedent to stay. Ian still does not take responsibility for his actions 12 years after effectivly killing a man in a drunken stupor. I know having a kid can happen unplanned but sure he should of realised his deceit on his visa application would not vanish under the carpet like his bashing victim has. It's a sorry situation for the mother and children and I wish them no ill. However, Ian does not deserve to stay. Another lesson for him in the grand scheme of things, but will he learn? Where next off to NZ to blatantly disregard their laws?

Zambia wrote: »

Technically he's been illegal since 2009. When he decided to tick no to any previous convictions on his first Visa application.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

The Facebook page is terrifying, absolute idiots posting oh you poor thing etc, I have a driving conviction so I ticked yes on the form for convictions, I got to Australia and was taken aside asked some questions and that was it!, this scumbag clearly ticked no because he knew he would be turned down so as irishmover said he was pretty much always illegal!
    He should be sent back to Ireland, in fact anyone on a temporary visa who commits a crime should be sent home!

I'm waiting for someone to try and defend him, I suppose this Visa cheat is hard to spin any sort of defence on, I mean a woman beating, lying, cheating.... i could go on and on and on and on about it really

Anywho they seem to be proud of him on Facebook, how come there are none here???

The Aussie wrote: »
    I'm waiting for someone to try and defend him, I suppose this Visa cheat is hard to spin any sort of defence on, I mean a woman beating, lying, cheating.... i could go on and on and on and on about it really

Anywho they seem to be proud of him on Facebook, how come there are none here???

Good point. I was wondering the same.
    I was thinking of leaving a comment on the Echo's facebook page myself, but I'd probably end up being inundated with hate messages from the thug's supporters.
    Hardly anyone references why he is being deported.

I particularly like this comment.
    Hes got a family now so y should they suffer-good luck anyways ian anyone thats not pig ignorant will see why u should stay there!
    :confused::confused::confused:

I've been following this thread with great interest. I'm planning on getting PR later this year, and one thing that puts me off going (but won't really) is knowing that people like Ian are out there.
    I know there's people like that here in Ireland too, but stories like this and the king-hits get way too much coverage from the press.

In the Irish Echo's latest dribble they are still painting the Minister as the evil Boogeyman, with facts of this Langers past coming out of the woodwork they are still publicly ejaculating because of what country he was born in...

However, on January 23 the AAT ruled that “the low risk of future harm by the applicant is a risk which the Australian community, having regard to all the circumstances of the case, should be prepared to tolerate”.

Is this the same sort of broken system that allowed Adrian Ernest Bailey back on the streets that says that this Toe Jam is a risk that the Community should be prepared to tolerate, putting aside his voilent streak that comes to the surface at any opportunity his continual drink driving could have a far more impact than any incident in Cork in 2002 could ever have.
    But this week the Minister directly intervened and decided to overrule the decision of the court, and the crime which he committed in Cork in 2002 was cited as the main reason.

The AAT got it wrong (to the best of my understanding the AAT do not sit in a Court either) and also fair play to the Minister for sticking his hand up and saying "ah lads, pull the other one will ya"

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2014/02/27/deported-irish-father-split-from-australian-family/30842

• Advertisement

RPM7 wrote: »
    I was thinking of leaving a comment on the Echo's facebook page myself, but I'd probably end up being inundated with hate messages from the thug's supporters.
    Hardly anyone references why he is being deported.

I had a look and I don't think he has as many supporters as he had, maybe a couple of die hards but I think once the truth came out about the assault on the girlfriend people caught themselves on.

Judging from his criminal history, it doesn't look like he's going to start behaving himself anytime soon.

Found this online petition looking for supporters which has 524 to date although for all anyone knows that could be his family and friends signing up under multiple aliases.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/minister-for-immigration-and-border-protection-scott-morrison-mp-allow-a-family-stay-together

over 24 hrs later and its still only 524. Epic Fail!!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I know of the guy personally hence why I took an interest in this. What you see and hear on Facebook is only the half of it and the people who support him are either muppets or close friends of his cut from the same cloth.

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭danotroy

The facebook feed has leveled out now. Most people have realised the character that this guy is. Reading the various court reports and news paper articles it is obvious to see after 5 minutes searching he has a problem with alcohol. He has promised to give up the booze numerous times and has entered and failed "rehab" a few times. As was previously stated earlier in this thread I wonder would the kid be better off without a character such as this guy around.

jank wrote: »
    I know of the guy personally hence why I took an interest in this. What you see and hear on Facebook is only the half of it and the people who support him are either muppets or close friends of his cut from the same cloth.

gw-itcrowdmosspopcorn.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

What I don't get is how this has only happened now?

He was involved in some sort of assault, a car robbery and also damage to property etc.... so, why didn't they check his visa situation at this time?
    Why didn't, after repeat offences, they investigate to see if he had a criminal history in Ireland?

He's gotten away with so much for so long.

Really makes you wonder when there's good, honest, law-abiding people, some of which are my friends, that want to make a better living over here and have to go home because they weren't able to secure a sponsor or a particular visa etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 39,024 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Vertakill wrote: »
    What I don't get is how this has only happened now?

He was involved in some sort of assault, a car robbery and also damage to property etc.... so, why didn't they check his visa situation at this time?
    Why didn't, after repeat offences, they investigate to see if he had a criminal history in Ireland?

I'm not defending anything here, merely answering your question.
    The first few offenses here - driving offences, he had a visa. The assault, car robbery and damage to property was all the same day in court, maybe they happen at the same time. It's likely that this is what got him found out, he's said its been going on for over a year. I think it's only out now as he has exhausted his options within the system.

At least that's what I've gathered, I haven't read a whole lot into it as I don't want to waste my time on this guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cocacola1

So obvious that he got an Australian girl knocked up just to get permanent residency through defacto or marriage as if he went for an employee sponsored residency background checks would have picked up on his scummy past.

(He obviously came here on a working holiday visa in which background check are NOT done, it's only when a permanent residency visa is lodged that immigration will do the necessary checks)

The lowlife probably thought he was on the pigs back when he met the (possibly naive) Aussie girl and got her pregnant.

I was in Australia for a year and it is amazing how much the visa system is being abused examples such as friends (man and woman) pretending to be couples so as the person who is sponsored can put the other on their visa and the hoard of young Irish lads hooking up with Australian single mothers as an "easy" way to stay.

Not to mention the way that some NOT ALL Irish are carrying on over here drunkenness, fighting you name it and the Irish paper feeling sorry for this scumbag and giving him positive publicity.

It's fueling a bad view of Irish (rightly so) and tarnishing the good Irish who are decent, we'll never have a good name anywhere if we don't distinguish the good from the bad no matter if there our own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

jank wrote: »
    hence why

Pet hate...

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/dictionary/british/hence

My OH is a fiend for it, it boils my pi$$

• Closed Accounts Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Y2KBOS86

^^^^^^^^^^^

Looks like the Aussie's are finally getting sick of ous, great stuff :D

Would laugh my nuts off if themselves and the Canadians decided to tear up the working holiday Visa agreements they have with our goverment.

Would be delighted.

I have worked with a good few Polish, Slovakian and Czech people, the abuse and sly bullying that I saw them received was sick, being made to feel like 2nd rate people everyday, like we are some superior race or something.

Irish out:p

• Advertisement

Is it an automated system which hands out WHV?

Not sure why there is no background check on people applying for a WHV.

Advertisement