Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running off with out paying fines

Options
  • 18-02-2014 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Im after accumalating about $3300 in fines in the last 3 years while I've been here in W.A.. When I got sponsored I had to set up a direct debit of $60 forthnightly to pay it off and have the balance down to about $1500 but am thinking of heading back to Ireland in the next month or 2 for good.
    I am wondering when I do go back to Ireland and claim my super, medicare rebate and tax back can the Dept of Attorney General claim the money I owe it back of any of these?
    If anyone has had any expierence of this situation and would like to share it with me be my guest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,102 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

I don't believe that they can stop it out of your super, tax, etc. There is a procedure whereby the state government can get an enforcement warrant in respect of fines which, among other things, allows the Sherriff to tell your creditors to pay him instead of you, but as far as tax, etc, goes your creditor is the Commonwealth government, and state law can't compel the Commonwealth.

If you have any other creditors - your employer, in respect of holiday pay, a landlord, in respect of a deposit on accommodation, etc - they could try to snaffle that. Whether they would in practice I can't say, but legally they could. But of course you may have no such creditors.

It could come back to bite you, though, if you ever intend to visit Australia again in any capacity. I came accross a case a while ago of someone who came in as a tourist, having been a temporary resident some years back. He had unpaid fines, and they had gone through the routine enforcement procedures which included suspending his authorisation to drive. He was unaware of this, because he had left the address to which notices were being sent.

He hired a car, and was driving it when he was stopped (I forget why) and they clocked that he had an "authorisation suspended" against him. They impounded the car and it took him, I think, three weeks to get it back. As it was a hir care the hire company was less than pleased, and they charged him the full rental for the period, plus a surcharge for not returning the car when originally due. It ended up costing him a lot more than settling the fine would have done. Plus, the lack of a car buggered up his holiday plans badly

OK, he was perhaps unlucky. My guess is that most people who leave the country with unpaid fines never suffer any consequences. Bt if you are thinking you might come back to Australia then consequences are possible, though the practical likelihood may not be very great.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Sorry I can't help you with your question. But, how the hell did you rack up that much in fines? I got my first $200 dollar fine today for going on a train and not paying. They didn't buy my excuse that the machine rejected my coins!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭Testament1

CM24 wrote: »
    Sorry I can't help you with your question. But, how the hell did you rack up that much in fines? I got my first $200 dollar fine today for going on a train and not paying. They didn't buy my excuse that the machine rejected my coins!

It can be done surprisingly easy. Like you said you got a $200 fine on a train. Parking fines are $100 a pop, speeding fines can be over $400 if caught more than 20km/h over the limit. Big fines too if you're caught for failing to leave an area after being told to on a night out. There's no shortage of ways to clock up a large tally of fines out here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭lg123

i think you'd be safe enough john, the super would be the only risk and considering the tax you'd pay on that, not much point reclaiming it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 John Denver

CM24 wrote: »

I have 21 points on my license, I got banned off the road for 6 months but I am on a good behaviour period of a year since last May, so cant get any points for a year or I'll be banned for a year then. I got the points for drink driving, speeding, going through red lights etc...

Does anyone know how long it takes to claim your tax and super back when you leave the country?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Am I the only one who pays?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

I have 21 points on my license, I got banned off the road for 6 months but I am on a good behaviour period of a year since last May, so cant get any points for a year or I'll be banned for a year then. I got the points for drink driving, speeding, going through red lights etc...

Does anyone know how long it takes to claim your tax and super back when you leave the country?

21 point on your license. Good god.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

I'd pay the fines if I were you. It will save a lot of hassle in the long run.

It sounds like you well and truly earned them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

irishmover wrote: »
    Am I the only one who pays?

No! I just got my first demerits in 2yrs this week in a moment of being in cloud cuckoo land going from the Mitchel to Farmer freeway. I forgot to slow down to 80. Thankfully I was under the 19km and its only $150 rather than $300

But seriously 21 points? What sort of contempt do you have for the rules of the road OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Sundy wrote: »
    No! I just got my first demerits in 2yrs this week in a moment of being in cloud cuckoo land going from the Mitchel to Farmer freeway. I forgot to slow down to 80. Thankfully I was under the 19km and its only $150 rather than $300

But seriously 21 points? What sort of contempt do you have for the rules of the road OP?

Rules of road, what about safety of other road users, muppet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Diddler82

Chances are you won't get caught .. that's neither here nor there.

However it is folk like you who give the rest of us a bad name. I would say take it on the chin and just pay it but I suspect someone who won't pay $3 for a train ride is going to stump up $3300 in fines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,714 ✭✭✭donegal_man

Hello, I'm living in a foreign country where I've committed a shed load of offences and now I want to know is there any way to avoid the consequences.
    Pay the bl**dy fines! It's attitudes like yours that get the Irish a bad reputation in Australia.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

am thinking of heading back to Ireland in the next month or 2 for good.

I would normally say good riddance, but I have to use the roads in Ireland.....

There have been two high profile cases here in Cork this week about Morons behind the wheel of a Car.

This idiot is serving his own special life sentence for this act of imbicilism.

http://www.southernstar.ie/News/Skibbereen-man-sentenced-to-seven-years-over-fatal-road-crash-17022014.htm

And another fine example who fled to Australia was picked up at Heathrow as he was about to head back again to Oz again, he flew all the way to London to see his Cork based Family.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/suspect-in-fatal-hit-and-run-held-at-airport-258534.html

Could be time to grow up and grow a set there OP ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

The Aussie wrote: »
    I would normally say good riddance, but I have to use the roads in Ireland.....

There have been two high profile cases here in Cork this week about Morons behind the wheel of a Car.

This idiot is serving his own special life sentence for this act of imbicilism.

http://www.southernstar.ie/News/Skibbereen-man-sentenced-to-seven-years-over-fatal-road-crash-17022014.htm

And another fine example who fled to Australia was picked up at Heathrow as he was about to head back again to Oz again, he flew all the way to London to see his Cork based Family.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/suspect-in-fatal-hit-and-run-held-at-airport-258534.html

Could be time to grow up and grow a set there OP ;)

Some like above... wear this type of behavior as a badge of honor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Some like above... wear this type of behavior as a badge of honor.

Its a badge of hobour until a drunk driver kills someone they love, or until they do it themselves. One of the first things my mother said to me when I learnt to drive was always remember you have passengers in your car, you're responsible for them too.

When drinking driving and speeding go wrong they go very wrong.

The OP is lucky not to be in prison!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,146 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Pay the bl**dy fines! It's attitudes like yours that get the Irish a bad reputation in Australia.

You couldn't explain things like these to the OP if you had Morgan Freemans voice and twenty years to talk to him. The concept of respecting other people and the society you live in is totally alien to his type, and consequences are just something to be ducked and dodged for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Noo wrote: »
    Its a badge of hobour until a drunk driver kills someone they love, or until they do it themselves. One of the first things my mother said to me when I learnt to drive was always remember you have passengers in your car, you're responsible for them too.

When drinking driving and speeding go wrong they go very wrong.

The OP is lucky not to be in prison!

If it came to the choice of Prison or living with the responsibility of killing someone or ruining someones life... I think Prison would be a better option.

Here's an idea maybe instead of paying the fine donate $3300 to some sort of charity that helps victims of drink drivers, thumbing yer nose and walking away with the money is just the same as obtaining money dishonestly.... imo bad luck money.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

You couldn't explain things like these to the OP if you had Morgan Freemans voice and twenty years to talk to him. The concept of respecting other people and the society you live in is totally alien to his type, and consequences are just something to be ducked and dodged for as long as possible.

Pay the money!

Don't you know governments need it....I mean for God's sake, people like Craig Thomson and our own John O'Donoghue back home.....they have their expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

sin_city wrote: »
    Pay the money!

Don't you know governments need it....I mean for God's sake, people like Craig Thomson and our own John O'Donoghue back home.....they have their expenses.

I think you missed the point there.

Drink Driving, Speeding and running Red lights are contributing factors in over 50% of fatalities. Someone that has been prosecuted for all 3 is one dangerous stupid kind of ar$ehole.

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=4&ved=0CEYQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.tmr.qld.gov.au%2F~%2Fmedia%2FSafety%2FTransport%2520and%2520road%2520statistics%2FRoad%2520safety%2FFatal_road_traffic_crashes_in_qld_2011.pdf&ei=zU0FU7-KFse4iQfgtYCQAg&usg=AFQjCNHBxMpAYtix1UoTC5YLAXDf0_N3zQ&bvm=bv.61535280,d.aGc

I have buried too many mates, and seen too many families torn apart by clowns like the OP. Honestly, If I knew him, I'd gladly give his home address to the Dept of transport, and the dept of foreign affairs.

If anything had been learned, the fines would be paid, instead, it's a typical look at me I'm a mad ba$tard.

I hope when your luck runs out your are the only one that you kill.

Advertisement