Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Echo WTF?

Options
  • 22-02-2014 6:46am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone seen the latest Irish echo's front cover? On the front of it they have a few pictures of a happy mum and dad and their kids with the emotional plea to let the dad stay with his family as he is being deported for over staying his visa.
    https://www.facebook.com/Irishechoaustralia
    http://www.irishecho.com.au/2014/02/20/new-irish-echo-print-edition-out-today/30730

However, on closer look you will see that this is a person convicted of a violent assault back in 2004, an assault that left a young man permanently damaged with a brain injury which will cause him to spend the rest of this life in a nursing home. The article makes reference to the assault but basically ignores the severity of it and the fact that someones life is ruined because of it.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pair-jailed-for-cowardly-attack-that-left-gifted-student-with-brain-damage-25913057.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/proud-smiles-hide-family-tragedy-at-sons-graduation-241240.html

Now, the thing is though we all know the publicity that surrounds victims of assaults and especially the furore about king hits, which the Irish echo have previously been opinionated about in their editorial and opinions piece. Is it then gross hypocrisy to try and promote this persons cause as a basic plea to emotions to let this guy into the country and stay with his new family?

So what say you? Should the guy be given a 4th/5th chance (he was caught driving over the limit, charge for common assault and driving in an unlicensed vichele in Australia already) or should the law be the law and the guy be deported as originally planned.

Note, it is unclear from the article why he over stayed his visa in the first place and if wether or not he lied on his visa application regarding the assault that he was convicted for in 2004.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭tomaussie

Bye bye. You won't be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

If an Aussie did that in Ireland and a paper was pleading his case, there would be uproar. Deport him, he's had enough chances. Will probably end up in prison at home sooner or later anyway with that record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

I don't know why he has a lawyer if he is going to allow himself be questioned on facebook.

And be caught out I might add

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭Nixer Jim

What a shame we've gotta take him back. Fcuking thug. He should be in prison until his victim makes a full recovery. An argument over hurling FFS!! There's cleverer goldfish.

Proper order Australia. If only we managed to control the influx of thugs & criminals into this country over the last few years too.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Shy Ted

I see someone on facebook believes he has served his time & deserves as second chance...
    4 years is hardly enough for destroying the life of a young man and his family?

You would think an incident like that would change that pr1cks outlook on life, or at least he'd have some remorse and change his ways.

Whilst I don't understand how the australians let him into the country in the first place, I think they should deport his ass. But now Ireland will be stuck with that degenerate scumbag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

jank wrote: »
    Has anyone seen the latest Irish echo's front cover? On the front of it they have a few pictures of a happy mum and dad and their kids with the emotional plea to let the dad stay with his family as he is being deported for over staying his visa.
    https://www.facebook.com/Irishechoaustralia
    http://www.irishecho.com.au/2014/02/20/new-irish-echo-print-edition-out-today/30730

However, on closer look you will see that this is a person convicted of a violent assault back in 2004, an assault that left a young man permanently damaged with a brain injury which will cause him to spend the rest of this life in a nursing home. The article makes reference to the assault but basically ignores the severity of it and the fact that someones life is ruined because of it.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/pair-jailed-for-cowardly-attack-that-left-gifted-student-with-brain-damage-25913057.html

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/proud-smiles-hide-family-tragedy-at-sons-graduation-241240.html

Now, the thing is though we all know the publicity that surrounds victims of assaults and especially the furore about king hits, which the Irish echo have previously been opinionated about in their editorial and opinions piece. Is it then gross hypocrisy to try and promote this persons cause as a basic plea to emotions to let this guy into the country and stay with his new family?

So what say you? Should the guy be given a 4th/5th chance (he was caught driving over the limit, charge for common assault and driving in an unlicensed vichele in Australia already) or should the law be the law and the guy be deported as originally planned.

Note, it is unclear from the article why he over stayed his visa in the first place and if wether or not he lied on his visa application regarding the assault that he was convicted for in 2004.

That's why I would never waste $3.50 for it, I would resent my money going into their staffs pockets.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 twomint

The Aussies are right to want to deport him.

Before you even look at his previous assault conviction in Cork, he has over stayed his visa in Australia and was caught driving an unlicensed vehicle there. Hardly the perfect way to endear yourself to your adopted country. If he treats the 'little' laws with such disregard, chances are he could show just as much disregard for bigger ones.

Why would the Aussies want anyone who is capable of doing what he has previously done and has shown that he isn't above flouting their laws either. As has been said, we'll end up with him though.

If he is such a catch, the family can always move with him when he is deported.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

How do we know this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

I wonder if the Irish Echo would be leading a campaign for the cowards who attacked David Kehone (a Cork man who has had his life destroyed while living in Sydney). What are the Irish Echo trying to achieve here?

There are loads of cases each year where Scum are turfed out on their ear for failing the Character Test, even if they are not fit to travel, and with a lot more connections and family in Australia than this career criminal/violent thug with some child born out of wedlock and a "classy" looking Sheila (LOL)

"An Adelaide man being deported to the United Kingdom despite living in Australia for most of his life has flown out of Sydney Airport bound for London.

Clifford Tucker, 47, moved to Australia with his parents from the UK when he was six but never applied for citizenship. He is being deported because he failed a character test.

In the 1980s and '90s the father of three served 12 years in jail for three different crimes, including the attempted murder of a policeman and assault.

He has not been in prison since 1999 but two things brought him to the attention of authorities in 2008."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-04-18/australia-carries-out-british-mans-deportation/2611564

"ANDREW DEREK MOORE arrived in Australia from Scotland aged 11. Almost 30 years and a string of convictions later, Australia decided he had failed its character test and cancelled his visa.
    On October 20, after a decade-long stretch in jail and immigration detention and despite serious health problems that were known to Australian authorities, Mr Moore was sent ''home''. Leaving behind a teenage son and his extended family, the 43-year-old recovering alcoholic was released at Heathrow Airport at 6am with $1000 cash, medication and a hotel booking. Two days later he was dead."

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/national/thirty-years-in-australia-then-deported-to-die-20091206-kcyk.html#ixzz2u34qDVek

RPM7 wrote: »
    Whilst I don't understand how the australians let him into the country in the first place.

I would wager a fair sum of money that he did not tick the box for any previous convictions on his Boarding Pass, any serious assault is grounds to refuse entry, anything resulting in a 4 year custodial sentence would result in him being turned around at immigration.

I see someone on facebook believes he has served his time & deserves as second chance...

I wonder if they will waddle on over here and give me a laugh :pac:....

• Advertisement

The Aussie wrote: »
    What are the Irish Echo trying to achieve here?

It's obvious they are trying to sell newspapers, they are very selective when it comes to the facts and truth in their editing. They seem to be targeting a large audience that is more interested in reading and supporting muppetry than the truth, it's all rather self serving.

As above a good example of a supporters of muppetry, the same person would probably have labeled the offender a scumbag in Ireland but since he is an Irishman in Australia he is suddenly a victim.

It's like immigration is the enemy here and my enemy enemy is now my friend, muppetry at its best.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Zambia wrote: »
    How do we know this?

It is mentioned in the article, the paper edition.

It is mentioned in the article, the paper edition.

Or mention of another Assult here...

THE vicious thug who left tragic student Denis Franklin paralysed for life was jailed for four years yesterday.

Brutal Ian Cronin, 21, kicked and punched Denis on the ground until blood ran out of his ears.

At one stage during the savage beating by Cronin and a gang, Denis' heart stopped, but he was revived in hospital.

The former Cork Institute of Technology pupil is now in a permanent vegetative state in a nursing home, where his parents travel 46 miles every night to see him.

Yesterday it emerged that yob Cronin had received a two-year suspended jail sentence for another assault just five months earlier.

So the Irish Echo are trying to make a Poster Boy out of this Poor example of a Human Being , it says more about the Staff and Workers at the a Irish Echo that they believe this man is worthy of air time because of what Passport he bears, they cannot spin that the attack on Dennis Franklin was a "one off Brain Fart" Ian Cronin is obviously a man of very low character and if the Irish Echo wish to put up a staunch defence of his actions, well..... If you lay with Dogs.

http://www.thefreelibrary.com/4YRS+FOR+THUG+WHO+LEFT+DENIS+PARALYSED%3B+Second+yob+gets+9mths.-a0116206748

• Registered Users Posts: 3,037 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Living in Ireland, the Continent, the UK I'd like to see them keep the thug but if they're sensible they'll eject him and quickly. No sympathy especially when it comes to assault. Pity he'll be nearer me .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

That does it. Going to write an email to the editor.
    They are basically condoning violence by taking this stance.

Feel free to write your own email.

mail@irishecho.com.au

Nixer Jim wrote: »
    What a shame we've gotta take him back. Fcuking thug. He should be in prison until his victim makes a full recovery. An argument over hurling FFS!! There's cleverer goldfish.

Proper order Australia. If only we managed to control the influx of thugs & criminals into this country over the last few years too.

Most of our thugs and criminals are home grown. What's this "influx" you refer to?

And then bemoaning it here on the same date.

Dubliner Louise Smith suffered swelling to the brain and memory loss after she was attacked in a car park in front of her children.

AN Irish victim of a “king hit” punch has called on the government to take action and to introduce mandatory sentencing for such attacks.
    Louise Smith suffered swelling to the brain, memory loss and post-traumatic stress after a car park attack which was witnessed by her children.

Do you have to be a special kind of stupid to work at the Irish Echo???

http://www.irishecho.com.au/2014/02/20/victim-of-melbourne-king-hit-calls-for-tougher-penalties/30766

That does it. Going to write an email to the editor.

Feel free to write your own email.

mail@irishecho.com.au

Did you get a reply from them???

I'm still waiting, I kept it rather civil except for accusing them of publicly ejaculating because of the Passport Ian Cronin bears and not his actions as a man.

Might bang them off another email.

The Aussie wrote: »
    Do you have to be a special kind of stupid to work at the Irish Echo???

I doubt they have the skills to do something useful.

• Advertisement

If I were an Australian I'd be pretty pisséd off looking at this sideshow. And all the paddys supporting him. Almost every one of them supports him. Talk about being insensitive to their host nation. There's nowt thicker than a mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

nah, There's plenty of people that wouldn't give a sh!t if a hole opened up in the ground and swallowed him.

The Aussies don't even know about him. You seriously think they read the echo ? or care what it says.

It won't be until Tracey Grimshaw or Tonight get a hold of the story, then the rabble rousing will start :eek:
    Almost every one of them supports him

No, not really.

coolbeans wrote: »
    If I were an Australian I'd be pretty pisséd off looking at this sideshow. And all the paddys supporting him. Almost every one of them supports him. Talk about being insensitive to their host nation. There's nowt thicker than a mob.

I agree with AngryHippie, most Aussies wouldn't give a sh!t. On a Personal level I couldnt give a F**k if he stays or is deported... I will hardly lose any sleep over it.

However if he is deported I would feel for his kid not having a father around and also for the family of his victim who are going to see him walking around town.

The Irish Echo have been very hypocritical over this, they are very quick to print details of assaults over the last few months but in this case a few throw away lines about a serious assault 12 years ago and they give the impression that yer man is being deported for not meeting the character requirements because of overstaying and not declaring a criminal record (victimless crimes).

What the Irish Echo failed to mention is the man in question was denied a visa because he failed to meet Section 501 which is " (1) The Minister may refuse to grant a visa to a person if the person does not satisfy the Minister that the person passes the character test."

Really you cant blame Scott Morison for refusing.

This guy has a lengthy Criminal history and some of it not as

Cork City Circuit Court 8 May 2003 Assault Causing Harm 9 September 2001 2 Years Suspended Sentence. Bound to the Peace for 2 Years.

Cork City Circuit Court 4 May 2004 Assault Causing Serious Harm 17 February 2002 4 Years Imprisonment.

Cork City Court No 1 15 November 2004 Criminal Damage 8 Months Imprisonment.

Cork City Court No 1 24 September 2008 Urinating in Public Contrary to Public Decency Fine: 200 euros.

Cork City Court No 1 24 September 2008 Intoxication in Public Place Fine: 100 euros.

Darwin Court of Summary Jurisdiction 7 April 2010 Unlicensed Uninsured Vehicle Unregistered Vehicle Fine: $400 (all charges)

Perth Magistrates Court 17 February 2011 Exceed .08% No Authority to Drive Fine: $700 Licence Disqualified for 5 months Fine: $100.

Perth Magistrates Court 16 October 2012 Exceed .08% No Authority to Drive Fine: $1,600 Licence Disqualified for 18 months Fine: $300 Licence Disqualified for 3 months.

Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Common Assault* Fine: $900 Fine
    Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Steal Motor Vehicle $500 Fine:
    Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Possesses a Prohibited Drug $300 fine.
    Joondalup Magistrates Court 5 June 2013 Wilfully & Unlawfully Destroy or Damage Property : $300 fine

* Common Assault was Assaulting his Girlfriend 26h Dec 2012.

Of course not everyone is defending him, but there are plenty who are saying he is been judged on crimes that happened 12 years ago. Well as anyone who has been through PR will know we are all judged on our past behavior, if you serve more than 12 months custodial sentence its an automatic fail then its up to the minister to approve it.

You will always have those shoe scrapings who have questionable attitude to the Australian Migration scheme, "the let him in because he is Irish" squad.

The man in question was on facebook defending himself and really you would think a man in his position would be a bit more tactful when it comes to attitude.
    Swiss poster: Lot of Irish think they have any right to stay here no matter what! Well there are fcuking laws mate! But I can see the next "like this page if u want him stay in oz"

Man in question in question: Ya and australia immigration r breaching UN laws and human right laws to u muppet. U just wish u were irish. we prob built ur country as well as this country and half the world at that

The Swiss Poster is right, that's the typical attitude these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Tracey Grimshaw.

Even the name stinks of sleaze.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Mandrake wrote:
    However if he is deported I would feel for his kid not having a father around and also for the family of his victim who are going to see him walking around town.

I believe there was a court ruling stating that he should be allowed to stay on those grounds. I agree with the principle behind it, its not fair to punish the child due to his past. But in this case, I honestly don't know if the child would be better off with him around or not.

https://m.facebook.com/comment/replies/?ctoken=10152048064698462_11537272&ft_ent_identifier=10152048064698462&gfid=AQAUJpEHboPlsbZU

Feel sorry for his family but he built his entire time in Australia on lies.

Would love to see AAT rulings on allowing murderers and rapists to retain their PR in Australai though. That's crazy if true.

Mellor wrote: »
    I believe there was a court ruling stating that he should be allowed to stay on those grounds. I agree with the principle behind it, its not fair to punish the child due to his past. But in this case, I honestly don't know if the child would be better off with him around or not.

It's a tribunal not a court, he claims a win but the tribunal ruled he shouldn't be refused which he could then appeal at the MRT. The minister then directly intervened which means no appeal appeal available and it ends now.

It's a legal playbook, win a folly battle at the cost of losing the war. That's how it's played out.

If he is deported he will always need misterial approval because of the 12 month rule, if Morrison has denied him a visa now it's unlikely he will in the future unless the man has kept a clean sheet for a long time. Maybe a change of minister or even a change in government.

There unpaid tax and cost of his detention owing to the commonwealth, which would need to cleared up as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭zetalambda

Judging from his criminal history, it doesn't look like he's going to start behaving himself anytime soon.

Found this online petition looking for supporters which has 524 to date although for all anyone knows that could be his family and friends signing up under multiple aliases.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/minister-for-immigration-and-border-protection-scott-morrison-mp-allow-a-family-stay-together

zetalambda wrote: »
    Judging from his criminal history, it doesn't look like he's going to start behaving himself anytime soon.

Found this online petition looking for supporters which has 524 to date although for all anyone knows that could be his family and friends signing up under multiple aliases.

http://www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/minister-for-immigration-and-border-protection-scott-morrison-mp-allow-a-family-stay-together

Going by Facebook he's got a lot of supporters that aren't related.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

irishmover wrote: »
    Going by Facebook he's got a lot of supporters that aren't related.

That all claim what he did to that poor guy back home 'was an accident'

12 years on and still wont take responsibility for his actions

Advertisement