Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Echo WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

irishmover wrote: »
    Is it an automated system which hands out WHV?

Not sure why there is no background check on people applying for a WHV.
    To keep the visa cheap, if they did background checks on everyone it would cost a fortune.

As far as I can remember you make a declaration that everything in your application is correct which is probably good enough for a 1 year visa.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Sundy wrote: »
    To keep the visa cheap, if they did background checks on everyone it would cost a fortune.

As far as I can remember you make a declaration that everything in your application is correct which is probably good enough for a 1 year visa.

Yeh girlfriend just ticked boxes last year when she was doing it. I never had to go the WHV route so not very conversed in it.

So what's in place to prevent a convicted killer gaining a WHV and entering Australia?

• Registered Users Posts: 26 cocacola1

Sundy wrote: »

Yep, sure I now a guy who swore on his WHV that he had no dependents (which you are not allowed to have for this certain visa) got to Australia got sponsored and had the rest of the family over within a year,

With any system it has gaps in which them people manage to slip through.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

cocacola1 wrote: »
    Yep, sure I now a guy who swore on his WHV that he had no dependents (which you are not allowed to have for this certain visa) got to Australia got sponsored and had the rest of the family over within a year,

With any system it has gaps in which them people manage to slip through.

That could majorly backfire if he ever goes for Permanent Residency.

Every false declaration you make on an IMMI application form is a timer on a deportation order. If they ever have reason to go back and check, you are dust.
    Yeah, you can get away with it for a while, as there is an element of trust in there, but eventually, as your dealings get more expensive, they look a little closer each time. And all that time, you have increased your exposure, your commitment to staying, and your assets in-country.

Long story short, lying in the application process isn't the smartest thing you will ever do. If it is just for a working holiday for a year, then maybe it won't bite you, but if you end up 5 years down the track with real commitments in country, IMMI could turn around and send you packing, and the chances they will look closely at your history is very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,069 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

You aren't allowed have dependent children accompanying you when on your WHV. But that doesn't mean that you aren't allow to get a WHV if you have children.

What you describe, coming over on a WHV, getting sponsored, and then bringing out the family is perfectly within the rules of both of those visas.
    That could majorly backfire if he ever goes for Permanent Residency
    How? It's not against the rules. There's no false declaration involved.

• Advertisement

That could majorly backfire if he ever goes for Permanent Residency.

Every false declaration you make on an IMMI application form is a timer on a deportation order. If they ever have reason to go back and check, you are dust.
    Yeah, you can get away with it for a while, as there is an element of trust in there, but eventually, as your dealings get more expensive, they look a little closer each time. And all that time, you have increased your exposure, your commitment to staying, and your assets in-country.

Long story short, lying in the application process isn't the smartest thing you will ever do. If it is just for a working holiday for a year, then maybe it won't bite you, but if you end up 5 years down the track with real commitments in country, IMMI could turn around and send you packing, and the chances they will look closely at your history is very real.

Very true, the system is being abused badly, as much as a necessary evil emigration is,

Yeh I don't really see anything wrong with that. He didn't have any dependents while in Australia on his WHV?

He got Sponsorship and went through the necessary legal routes to get his family over here. Sounds like he was legit.

Yeh I don't really see anything wrong with that. He didn't have any dependents while in Australia on his WHV?

He got Sponsorship and went through the necessary legal routes to get his family over here. Sounds like he was legit.

Yes but he did initially lie, wasn't harming anyone and had no criminal background but goes to show that WHV are easily obtained and can be given to more serious offenders like the one given to the guy in the paper being deported.

I mean it's upsetting thinking of that poor guys parents who will never see their son travel or doing anythig else over what that Ian Cronin did to him, and Ian's flying round the world and breeding as he goes.

It's perfectly legitimate. Just another example of visa stories grow legs down the pub and run away.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Mellor wrote: »
    You aren't allowed have dependent children accompanying you when on your WHV. But that doesn't mean that you aren't allow to get a WHV if you have children.

What you describe, coming over on a WHV, getting sponsored, and then bringing out the family is perfectly within the rules of both of those visas.

How? It's not against the rules. There's no false declaration involved.

If you have kids you have to use a paper application, doesn't matter if they are not accompanying or not (they shouldn't) you still have to declare them.

• Advertisement

Yes but he did initially lie

Did he though? Does the visa not require you to declare dependents who wish to travel with you to Australia? Since he went to Australia on his own the person didn't do anything wrong?

If it requests you declare any dependent traveling with your or not on your WHV then I take back my opinion he done nothing wrong.

Did he though? Does the visa not require you to declare dependents who wish to travel with you to Australia? Since he went to Australia on his own the person didn't do anything wrong?

If it requests you declare any dependent traveling with your or not on your WHV then I take back my opinion he done nothing wrong.

Yes it did ask for dependents whether travelling wit you or not and even though it wasn't illegal he did deny any dependent, I'm not giving out and he didn't do anything illegal, I'm just saying.

Yes but he did initially lie, wasn't harming anyone and had no criminal background but goes to show that WHV are easily obtained and can be given to more serious offenders like the one given to the guy in the paper being deported.
    The WHV form doesn't ask if you have children or not, only if you will have dependent children accompanying you. He didn't, so presumably he siad no. Where's the lie?
    As far as I can see he didn't lie, and he broke no rules.

mandrake04 wrote: »
    If you have kids you have to use a paper application, doesn't matter if they are not accompanying or not (they shouldn't) you still have to declare them.
    Yes it did ask for dependents whether travelling wit you or not and even though it wasn't illegal he did deny any dependent, I'm not giving out and he didn't do anything illegal, I'm just saying.

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1150.pdf

There's the form for the paper application.
    This is the only question that I can see that mentions children.
    Do you have any dependent children that will accompany you to Australia?

No
    Yes

Note : You cannot be accompanied by dependent children on this visa

The WHV form doesn't ask if you have children or not, only if you will have dependent children accompanying you. He didn't, so presumably he siad no. Where's the lie?
    As far as I can see he didn't lie, and he broke no rules.

Is this the correct form?

Form 1150
    not be accompanied by dependent children;
    20 Do you have any dependent children that will accompany you to Australia?
    No
    Yes
    Yes
    Note: You cannot be accompanied by dependent children on this visa.

Thats the only reference I see to it on the application.

Is this the correct form?

Form 1150

Thats the only reference I see to it on the application.

Ok fair enough,

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

If you have dependants you have to use the paper route and also get a letter signed by the guardian of the dependant that the child will be staying with..

Witnessed by a solicitor etc.

A little more paper work but almost the same thing as the other route!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Thank god the latest Irish Echo has come out, I don't have to look at that squat headed, gap tooth coward anymore, just goes to show that tattoos don't make a man, although he will be back over here with us in Cork soon enough so it might only be a short term blessing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

So was he deported or what?

I'm not sure, I have a mutual friend there on Facebook (I use that term loosely) so will enquire.

But on the plus side for the Irish Echo I've discovered a worse publication, it's called IQ or Irish Queenslander, it's the only free magazine that they should pay you to read, a total waste of paper, ink and time...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Nelson Muntz

The Aussie wrote: »
    I'm not sure, I have a mutual friend there on Facebook (I use that term loosely) so will enquire.

But on the plus side for the Irish Echo I've discovered a worse publication, it's called IQ or Irish Queenslander, it's the only free magazine that they should pay you to read, a total waste of paper, ink and time...

We met the woman who started that mag on a beach one day. I've never read it. What makes it so bad?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

We met the woman who started that mag on a beach one day. I've never read it. What makes it so bad?

Nelson you have to read the first post. The essence is you can't scream foul when young Irish men are bashed. Then when Australia tries to deport an Irish bloke guilty of the same offence Huey accuse immigration of being heavy handed.

Zambia wrote: »
    Nelson you have to read the first post. The essence is you can't scream foul when young Irish men are bashed. Then when Australia tries to deport an Irish bloke guilty of the same offence Huey accuse immigration of being heavy handed.

Sorry, yeah, I've read the entire thread & of course agree about the scumbag.

I was asking specifically about why The Aussie thinks the IQ mag is crap.

I'm not sure as to why anyone would think the IQ magazine is crap either.

That said, there is nothing there of particular interest to me, I'd be more likely to get a subscription to the Irish Times online than for a print edition of this.

That's not to say that there aren't plenty of people happy to pay $18 a year for the local GAA news and some visiting celebrity news. It's a real market, and IQ are doing the business.

I've never read it. What makes it so bad?

1. Pick up a copy.

2. Read from cover to cover.

3. Form your own opinion.

We met the woman who started that mag on a beach one day.

I met the person who wrote Highlander while out Fishing one day.

1. Pick up a copy.

Couldn't be arsed to be honest.

1. Pick up a copy.

Not if it was the only magazine in the waiting room.
    I've seen their content summary on the website, and I'd rather run headlong into the glass door and knock myself out.
    Nothing against them, just zero interest. atallatlallatall

The 80s film, or the scottish local newspaper :D

Not if it was the only magazine in the waiting room.
    I've seen their content summary on the website, and I'd rather run headlong into the glass door and knock myself out.
    Nothing against them, just zero interest. atallatlallatall

Just looked at the website. Read the summary of this issue. You'd have to be pretty hard core Irish to plow through that lot.

Good luck to them though. The lady we met was really nice & she is having a go at something that is a passion of hers.

• Advertisement

The 80s film, or the scottish local newspaper :D

The Films, could have been a Book before hand or something, he was spending a week or so fishing the Great Barrier Reef in the mid 90's down the southern end around Lady Elliot Island, was actually a very decent down to earth bloke, not short of coin at the time, even brought me a Beer.

Advertisement