Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should we stop bullying the United Kingdom?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

deco nate wrote: »
    Did we, how do we have the money to pay them off all of a sudden? And why would they reject it?

We could refinance that next week at a much lower rate than is being paid on the current loan.

Nice of them to reject early repayment.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭mickoneill31

So if Ireland looks after it's own interests that's bullying.
    When the UK looks after it's interests it's patriotism.

I think people are fed up with the UK. They voted for this ****e and their opinion polls haven't changed hugely. Just get it over with so they won't need to blame the EU anymore for all their problems. Im not really serious about the last bit. Of course they'll blame the EU for Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭bobbysands81

A British friend of mine told me today he felt Ireland was bullying the UK (I know!)over Brexit.

We can only do it with the help of our gallant allies of course now the UK is leaving and they despise them.

I do feel we may regret it down the road and that the Irish are somewhat awestruck with the sudden power they seem to have over the old foe, the tables turned etc.

It's a mirage - they'll fight on the beaches etc.

But aside from self interest maybe we should be supporting them? Sometimes I feel we are more British than Finchley.

They are our friends.

How is it bullying?

They have voted to leave the EU. We are still in EU.

There are consequences for them leaving the EU. They’re only now realizing that. The Irish Government are playing a blinder with Brexit, they’re far more prepared for it that the UK actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Did we, how do we have the money to pay them off all of a sudden? And why would they reject it?

We paid Denmark and Sweden in full early. Brits rejected because they are making a nice interest.

And yes we do have the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

We either bully them or get a military border again and that's a step back to the stone age

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

We are not bullying them. We are trying to get them not to slap a border across our country, they are in a position to decide if that happens or not, they are in a position to do the bullying, not us.

they are in a position to do the bullying,

The UK is in a position to do the bullying?

You sure about that?

The EU does not agree. In fact the UK has surrendered everything to the EU so far in the "negotiation" so it is not really a negotiation at all. All that is left is Operation United Ireland and the EU will get that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

they are in a position to do the bullying,

You sure about that?

The EU does not agree. In fact the UK has surrendered everything to the EU so far in the "negotiation" so it is not really a negotiation at all. All that is left is Operation United Ireland and the EU will get that too.

Operation United Ireland???...... there is no such thing and there will be no such thing unless you persuade a sizeable number of ni unionists that it is a good thing.

Otherwise all you get is Dublin paying for NI as opposed to the uk. And good luck with that. The DLA bill for the falls rd alone would be enough to bankrupt the Celtic pussy cat alone......

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,162 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

You sure about that?

The UK initiated this process. Any amount of research at all would have indicated that this was always how things were going to pan out.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

timthumbni wrote: »
    Operation United Ireland???...... there is no such thing and there will be no such thing unless you persuade a sizeable number of ni unionists that it is a good thing.

Otherwise all you get is Dublin paying for NI as opposed to the uk. And good luck with that. The DLA bill for the falls rd alone would be enough to bankrupt the Celtic pussy cat alone......

No, it wouldn't.

But maybe you should stop trying to make a virtue of being a parasite on the UK?

We can deal with parasites here. Disgusting things. Shame for it to happen to the Falls rd or the Shankill.

• Advertisement

No, it wouldn't.

But maybe you should stop trying to make a virtue of being a parasite on the UK?

We can deal with parasites here. Disgusting things. Shame for it to happen to the Falls rd or the Shankill.

I am part of the UK thanks very much. I’m just making the point that the whole term “United ireland” is an oxymoron as unlike for example the Berlin Wall and Germany all you would be doing is importing nearly a million people who really don’t want anything to do with you. That would seem insane to most people and to refer to it as being “United” would be just bat**** crazy....

I am part of the UK thanks very much. I’m just making the point that the whole term “United ireland” is an oxymoron as unlike for example the Berlin Wall and Germany all you would be doing is importing nearly a million people who really don’t want anything to do with you. That would seem insane to most people and to refer to it as being “United” would be just bat**** crazy....

They can leave like Arlene Foster.

Again I want to ask you about the unionist mentality of making a virtue of being a parasite on the UK. Do you not find that embarrassing? When they talk about the subsidy is there not a part of you that cringes?

Our strategy obviously is to get the north away from that and make unification easier. More private sector.

They can leave like Arlene Foster.

Again I want to ask you about the unionist mentality of making a virtue of being a parasite on the UK. Do you not find that embarrassing?

I will be going nowhere chum. Do you find it embarrassing that the republic had to borrow billions of the uk to keep your lights on a few years back too..? Or is that different??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Give it about 798 more years tbh.

I will be going nowhere chum. Do you find it embarrassing that the republic had to borrow billions of the uk to keep your lights on a few years back too..? Or is that different??

The UK hasn't borrowed anything? Funny because the UK ran large deficits longer than we did. Now I could be wrong but I think the way deficits are covered is by borrowing money. At the end of 2016 the UK ran a deficit of £65.4 billion and had a total debt of 2016 the total debt was over £1.7 trillion. Oh and the UK has a higher debt/GDP than Ireland despite what was apparently a cataclysm in Ireland very recently.
    Nice turn of phrase about keeping the lights on, in NI yous will probably be fine because we, your brothers, will help out with things but the mainland could be in for interesting times when it comes to power generation.
    But hey, you'll be welcome for a pint any time, we'll be glad to finally have yous.

Well, firstly, NI does not borrow from the UK. Like a child you are given an allowance.

Secondly the international community lean't money to Ireland in the banking crisis. The UK contributed 3%.

All being repaid with interest. Denmark and Sweden repaid early. .IMF repaid early.

So how was the UK keeping our lights on exactly?

I'd rather live in a multicultural country that is a net contributor to the European Union - a massive club - than be a sponger from a small country like the UK who does not respect me and would throw me under a bus given the chance.

You might want to address your "loyalty". lol 2018 and talking loyalty.

The UK hasn't borrowed anything? Funny because the UK ran large deficits longer than we did. Now I could be wrong but I think the way deficits are covered is by borrowing money. At the end of 2016 the UK ran a deficit of £65.4 billion and had a total debt of 2016 the total debt was over £1.7 trillion. Oh and the UK has a higher debt/GDP than Ireland despite what was apparently a cataclysm in Ireland very recently.
    Nice turn of phrase about keeping the lights on, in NI yous will probably be fine because we, your brothers, will help out with things but the mainland could be in for interesting times when it comes to power generation.
    But hey, you'll be welcome for a pint any time, we'll be glad to finally have yous.

That was specific to the poster who referred to us as parasites. I would have a pint anytime but just because I have a drink with someone doesn’t mean I want to sleep and set up a home with them.

Just making a point about the whole nonsense of the term and so called “United” Ireland that some refer to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I agree with timthumbni. Why would unionists/loyalists want to be in a 32 county Ireland anymore than nationalist/republicans want to be in the UK?
    A monster has been created. In 1922 it should have been either a 32 county republic or 32 as part of the UK or commonwealth.
    Would a United ireland mean people in Longford have no problem with July 12th marches and massive polluting bonfires?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The loan payback, pounds or euro ?

Well, firstly, NI does not borrow from the UK. Like a child you are given an allowance.

Secondly the international community lean't money to Ireland in the banking crisis. The UK contributed 3%.

All being repaid with interest. Denmark and Sweden repaid early. .IMF repaid early.

So how was the UK keeping our lights on exactly?

I'd rather live in a multicultural country that is a net contributor to the European Union - a massive club - than be a sponger from a small country like the UK who does not respect me and would throw me under a bus given the chance.

You might want to address your "loyalty". lol 2018 and talking loyalty.

And how long has the republic been a net contributor to the eu exactly? What about when you weren’t.? Were you a “sponger” then?? Silly argument to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,271 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

And how long has the republic been a net contributor to the eu exactly? What about when you weren’t.? Were you a “sponger” then?? Silly argument to be honest.

Actually it serves as evidence of the progress made economically in Ireland.

Economic progress not being made in the North due to its fondness for the hind teat.

Will the North ever be weaned off? Ever support itself?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Trasna1

The loan payback, pounds or euro ?

It's in pounds so Ireland assumes the currency risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,017 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Could get dangerous for the Irish over there?!
    Bull**** of the highest order post

Edit:i assume you mean the red tops as in papers, you really should give the to English more respect than reading the red tops...

Not really - they're just as moronic as the Irish when it comes to tabloids: case in point, muslim immigration; but that's another thread.

I don't think they'd try for an anti-Irish angle though - they'd lose too many readers.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

lawred2 wrote: »

Actually it serves as evidence of the progress made economically in Ireland.

Economic progress not being made in the North due to its fondness for the hind teat.

Will the North ever be weaned off? Ever support itself?

The hostility towards unionists and indeed Northern Ireland in general is evident here. And some clowns talk of a so called “United” Ireland.

We are still paying the price for violent, murder loving provos trying and failing in bombing and shooting the place to a UI. Because that’s always what unites people .. blowing up towns, kids outside McDonald’s etc etc.

At least sf have a new leader now who reaches out to unionists ....... by attending ira terrorist get togethers and shouting chalky are la(spelling I know) at the end of her speech. Priceless......

The hostility towards unionists and indeed Northern Ireland in general is evident here. And some clowns talk of a so called “United” Ireland.

We are still paying the price for violent, murder loving provos trying and failing in bombing and shooting the place to a UI. Because that’s always what unites people .. blowing up towns, kids outside McDonald’s etc etc.

At least sf have a new leader now who reaches out to unionists ....... by attending ira terrorist get togethers and shouting chalky are la(spelling I know) at the end of her speech. Priceless......

What are you going to do when the DUP have to suck Tory dick this month and accept an Irish sea border?:(

I'm worried for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Oh dear me. The facade has cracked and the true face is revealed. A dinosaur.

What are you going to do when the DUP have to suck Tory dick this month and accept an Irish sea border?:(

I'm worried for you.

Such a pretty turn of phrase you have there. I think you will find that others think it’s the conservatives who need the dup but you worry all you want pal. Though they say worry isn’t good for the digestion.

Such a pretty turn of phrase you have there. I think you will find that others think it’s the conservatives who need the dup but you worry all you want pal. Though they say worry isn’t good for the digestion.

The DUP will suck hard..for a border in the Irish sea. :pac: It's coming. They don't want Corbyn.

OldRio wrote: »

Oh dear me. The facade has cracked and the true face is revealed. A dinosaur.

Yes because if you had read other posts I have made I have never once criticized the IRA/SF before. It’s only just came out now. You have got me there old Rio. Sherlock Holmes will never be dead whilst you are alive mate. ;-)

And btw if you refer to people as dinosaurs because they don’t forget about exactly what the ira were and are then you must have led a very sheltered safe upbringing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

Please don't refer to me as 'mate'

Advertisement