Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Takeaway tax

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

Be great if people took responsibility for their own actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Agricola wrote: »
    McDonald's milkshakes are too big and too calorific. Handing one to a small kid who'll invariably scoff the lot is just excessive. They should be smaller.

they will be usually getting kid size though, ther isn't actually much in them.

takeaways in this country are already expensive and are after adding the sugar tax to almost every meal they sell. can't see them adding another one tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Micky 32 wrote: »
    The bird made me a gorgeous birthday dinner last night, steak medium well, mushrooms and onions spuds and pepper sauce and some garlic cheese potatoes thrown in for good measure :D:p Delicious

Jaws of the Tiger. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

That’s a bull**** excuse anyway. 2L of water is €1.40 or so cheaper than 2L of Coca Cola.

Eh? A 500ml bottle of water easily costs €1.80 in most places in and near Dublin city centre.

There are the exceptions like Lidl, dealz etc but spar, Centra etc charge an extortionate price for some tap water in a bottle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

Convinced this is the next tax coming in. There's talk in UK of red meat tax. Just like to know where did self responsibility go. Can people not be trusted to choose what they eat. They want to limit milkshakes to 300 Cal's. Again why. Most people surely treat these as a treat and want to have one should be allowed. Sick of this nanny state

Well one could argue that levies/taxes/incentives are necessary. There is a certain cohort out there that blames everyone for their misfortune.....unemployment, lack of free gaff, etc etc. being over weight/fat is next one.....it’s no harm to highlight to some via taxes or otherwise ther error of their choices...!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,500 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Just have mandatory fat tax.
    If you are obese then tax. Obese as diagnosed by a properly qualified doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

eastie17 wrote: »
    It would need to test body fat percentage to be fair. Could be adding lots of beefy muscle as the increase in kg

I understand what you are saying technically. I am a tall thin guy but because I am keen on sport, I am almost 'obese' on BMI reckoning. In fairness - what I wrote wasn't a govt white paper!

I wasn't really joking all the same about the broad concept of shifting the tax burden on to those without the self-control. It avoids punishing the pockets of people who go mad and have a coke or McD once or twice a month. Fiscal justice!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Convinced this is the next tax coming in. There's talk in UK of red meat tax. Just like to know where did self responsibility go. Can people not be trusted to choose what they eat. They want to limit milkshakes to 300 Cal's. Again why. Most people surely treat these as a treat and want to have one should be allowed. Sick of this nanny state nonsense.

Many people dont, hence the skyrocketing obesity and diabetes rates in western society and the need to tax people on it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

topper75 wrote: »
    What about fat gain tax instead?
    You get weighed at existing NCT centers twice a year and pay a % tax on any Kg differential. All foodstuffs left alone for your own free choice.
    All tax raised can be ringfenced for diabetes and obesity driven HSE costs.

You can do a lot of damage to your body by eating unhealthily even if you dont get fat. Studies have shown for instance that a person whos a bit overweight but is active /does some exercise but still has some excess fat has better health paramters than a skinnier person who is very sedentary

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Agricola wrote: »
    McDonald's milkshakes are too big and too calorific. Handing one to a small kid who'll invariably scoff the lot is just excessive. They should be smaller.

McDonalds is junk food which should be highly heavily taxed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

how tax compliant do we think the average Chinese take away is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,174 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Graces7 wrote: »
    McDonalds is junk food which should be highly heavily taxed.

McDonald's is white bread, lettuce, gherkin, tomato, processed cheddar and beef from tired old girls who've been "retired" from dairying with more hormones in them than a WWE star. Unless you attempt to live exclusively on it like that eejit from America some time back, it probably won't kill ya! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭ArrBee

MarkY91 wrote: »
    Eh? A 500ml bottle of water easily costs €1.80 in most places in and near Dublin city centre.

There are the exceptions like Lidl, dealz etc but spar, Centra etc charge an extortionate price for some tap water in a bottle.

Centra pretty much always has a branded 1litre for 1euro offer. As in the price is on the bottle itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Can people not be trusted to choose...

No. People can be trusted to make bad and lazy decisions which will damage their lives, relationships and society at large, in spite of ample information available about the impacts of their choices because they're a bunch of bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You could eat 5000 calories a day and burn it off and not gain weight. Excercise is totally linked to weight.

It's way easier to manage weight with your diet. It's extremely difficult to out-train a bad diet, it's a lot easier to just eat in moderation/balance.

And no, you couldn't eat 5,000 calories a day and not gain weight, unless you're literally exericising intensively all day every day during the waking hours eg a high level professional athlete.

If you ate exactly what your body needs to maintain (let's say 2,300 calories) and then ate a normal Dairy Milk on top of that, it'd take about 30 minutes on the treadmill to burn off the extra.

So no, 'burning off' 3,000 extra calories is not even vaguely possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Dieting is fine and it's important to try to eat well but exercise is also important, crucial really, for one's overall general well being.

We are human beings descended from hunter gatherers. As such, our bodies are designed to move and be active for at least some of the day.

Yes, that’s why I said exercise was needed for fitness. I literally said that in the post of mine that you quoted. And pointed out that I lost a lot of weight with no exercise a few years back but that I wasn’t fit because I did no exercise.

I’m just saying that exercise doesn’t contribute as much as people think to calorie deficits for weight loss. People tend to overestimate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Grayson wrote: »
    I remember reading about cities where they have filtered water available for free so you can refill reusable water bottles. That's be handy. Cut down on waste too.

What is the difference between this water and the water from the mains in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

YFlyer wrote: »
    What is the difference between this water and the water from the mains in Ireland?
    Nothing. We flush our toilets with potable water. Whether building and maintaining two parallel water infrastructures (potable/non-potable) is worth the reduction in scale of the purification process is not a question I know the answer to.

mikhail wrote: »
    This is what we're reduced to? Outrage at what the government might do?

This reminds me of the time I discovered my girlfriend was mad at me for something I did in a dream of hers.

Was it you that gave the story that your girlfriend was angry with you that you cheated on her in her dream?

mikhail wrote: »
    Nothing. We flush our toilets with potable water. Whether building and maintaining two parallel water infrastructures (potable/non-potable) is worth the reduction in scale of the purification process is not a question I know the answer to.

Quite easily to catch water from roofs for flushing toilets.

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    Can you carry the tap around town with you?

So you can refill.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,863 ✭✭✭mikhail

YFlyer wrote: »
    Was it you that gave the story that your girlfriend was angry with you that you cheated on her in her dream?
    No, and I'm a bit disturbed that this is a common enough occurrence for someone else to have a similar story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I imagine it would be too difficult to tax food that isn't prepackaged. It's not like they give you a set amount of chips.

Since the sugar tax I've noticed the shop around the corner from my house charges the same for a bottle of Coke as they always have. They're now about the same price as Tesco. I wonder have they decided to make less of a profit on drinks to get more customers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

They might bring in a takeaway tax, but it's not much of a deterrent. If people can afford to order in several times a week, which evidently they can, then I'm not sure a tax is going to derail that habit. Well, maybe for some people, but bigger picture it won't make a dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,992 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

The biggest problem isn't takeaways, its education. Its easy to look at chippers, chinese takeaways etc and paint them as the villain, but the fact of the matter is that our food has never been more calorie dense.

a common meal deal you see in shops is a bag of crisps, a can of coke etc and a roll, can easily clock in at over 800 calories, or close on, half the average daily allowance for someone (notwithstanding variances in height, weight, activity level etc). Even 'healthy' stuff like cereal bars, the little snack bags of nuts, etc - massively calorie dense. If people were educated on the labels, and understood just how small these 'recommended serving sizes' are, they'd have their mind blown. 25 grams of breakfast cereal would hardly cover the arse of the bowl!, and yet you'd hear of kids having bowl after bowl of the stuff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

5000 calories was an extreme amount. If your recommended intake is 2000 cal and you do little exercise you won't probably put on weight. However if you say ran for about an hour with intake of 2000 cal you would lose weight as you'd burn depending on pace around 700 cal. So exercise can play a big part in weight control. As it does allow you sometimes to eat more than you should. Or when you drink alcohol which is calorie heavy you can burn it off with exercise. It's all a numbers game. I just think this taxing food business is the wrong way to go. More education is required. Love to know where this sugar tax will end up. Be shocked if its going towards educating about healthy eating.

Advertisement